What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 17 milestones and record chases (1 Viewer)

CalBear

Footballguy
For those of us who are still playing in week 17, it's worthwhile to think about who is nearing a record or milestone; it can influence how often their number is called in the last week, especially in games with no playoff implications.

So, who's close to a number?

Drew Brees: Needs 401 passing yards to pass Dan Marino's single-season record.

Rushing title: Adrian Peterson has this sewn up overall (leads Turner by 163 yards), but there's a race in the AFC between Thomas Jones (1289) and Chris Johnson (1228).

Receiving title: Andre Johnson leads by almost 100 yards over Roddy White. Brandon Marshall (1210) is slightly ahead of Wes Welker (1139), and Reggie Wayne (1130) in the AFC.

Adrian Peterson needs 221 total yards to reach 2000 total for the year.

Andre Johnson needs 73 receiving yards to reach 1500.

Derrick Ward needs 52 rushing yards to reach 1000.

Jamal Lewis needs 92 rushing yards

Brian Westbrook needs 114 rushing yards

Kevin Smith needs 117 rushing yards

Marion Barber needs 128 rushing yards

TO needs 51 receiving yards to reach 1000.

Dwayne Bowe needs 81 receiving yards

Steve Breaston needs 88 receiving yards (ARI would have three 1000-yard receivers)

Housh needs 96 receiving yards

Royal needs 96 receiving yards

Driver needs 99 receiving yards

Housh needs 8 receptions to reach 100

Fitz needs 9 receptions

Gonzo needs 9 receptions

Boldin needs 11 receptions

R.White needs 15 receptions

What else is out there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thread as a by-product of the pinned one on resting players.

We saw this last year with Dungy having Manning throw the ball at will to Wayne in the 1st half of week 17 to get him 100 catches/1500 yards. Clearly this year Brees is the biggie that stands out.

At the end of the day, I guess the key is which records are achievable AND are likely to have some importance attached to them by the respective coaching staff.

Problem is that coaches aren't likely to tip their hands, so it will have to take some intuition.

I think Brees goes for the record.

I had an odd thought (which would totally go against conventional football) - but would the Saints give up at some point and let the Panthers score so that Brees could get back on the field?

Also if it is close later in the game, do they take a penalty to get some more passing yards set up?

I think Brees goes for the record.I had an odd thought (which would totally go against conventional football) - but would the Saints give up at some point and let the Panthers score so that Brees could get back on the field?Also if it is close later in the game, do they take a penalty to get some more passing yards set up?
No to both of your questions, because it's unethical. I do think Brees will go after the record though. Doesn't Brees need to throw a TD to another player and it would be the 12th player he's thrown a TD to this season and that would be a record.I believe I heard that last week in the Lions game and why they were forcing the ball into Shockey on a couple passing attempts.

I think Brees goes for the record.I had an odd thought (which would totally go against conventional football) - but would the Saints give up at some point and let the Panthers score so that Brees could get back on the field?Also if it is close later in the game, do they take a penalty to get some more passing yards set up?
No to both of your questions, because it's unethical.
Agreed - I don't think Payton would resort to that kind of chicanery.What could happen, however, is if the Saints somehow are up big on the Panthers, Brees could continue to keep throwing when the normal course of action would be to run the ball to churn the clock.

For those of us who are still playing in week 17, it's worthwhile to think about who is nearing a record or milestone; it can influence how often their number is called in the last week, especially in games with no playoff implications.So, who's close to a number?Drew Brees: Needs 401 passing yards to pass Dan Marino's single-season record.Rushing title: Adrian Peterson has this sewn up overall (leads Turner by 163 yards), but there's a race in the AFC between Thomas Jones (1289) and Chris Johnson (1228).Receiving title: Andre Johnson leads by almost 100 yards over Roddy White. Brandon Marshall (1210) is slightly ahead of Wes Welker (1139), and Reggie Wayne (1130) in the AFC.Adrian Peterson needs 221 total yards to reach 2000 total for the year.Andre Johnson needs 73 receiving yards to reach 1500.Derrick Ward needs 52 rushing yards to reach 1000.Jamal Lewis needs 92 rushing yardsBrian Westbrook needs 114 rushing yardsKevin Smith needs 117 rushing yardsMarion Barber needs 128 rushing yardsTO needs 51 receiving yards to reach 1000.Dwayne Bowe needs 81 receiving yardsSteve Breaston needs 88 receiving yards (ARI would have three 1000-yard receivers)Housh needs 96 receiving yardsRoyal needs 96 receiving yardsDriver needs 99 receiving yardsHoush needs 8 receptions to reach 100Fitz needs 9 receptionsGonzo needs 9 receptionsBoldin needs 11 receptionsR.White needs 15 receptionsWhat else is out there?
For the season: Peyton Manning needs 93 passing yards for his 9th (!!!) 4,000 yard passing season.For career: Chad Pennington needs 1 TD pass for 100 in his career

Others not previously mentioned

Receiving Yards

Hines Ward is 27 yards away from 1000 receiving yards.

Derrick Mason is 40 yards away from 1000 receiving yards.

Santana Moss is 24 yards away from 1000 receiving yards.

Jason Witten is 98 yards away from 1000 receiving yards.

Lee Evans is 46 yards away from 1000 receiving yards.

Bernard Berrian is 117 yards away from 1000 receiving yards.

Randy Moss is 5 yards away from 1000 receiving yards.

Kevin Walter is 124 yards away from 1000 receiving yards.

DeSean Jackson is 134 yards away from 1000 receiving yards.

Rushing Yards

Frank Gore is 22 yards away from 1000 rushing yards.

Steven Jackson is 119 yards away from 1000 rushing yards.

Larry Johnson is 144 yards away from 1000 rushing yards.

Kevin Smith is 116 yards away from 1000 rushing yards.

Leron Mc'Lain is 168 yards away from 1000 rushing yards.

Marion Barber is 128 yards away from 1000 rushing yards.

Ronnie Brown is 141 yards away from 1000 rushing yards.

Justin Fargas is 158 yards away from 1000 rushing yards.

Passing Yards

Donovan McNabb is 258 yards away from 4000 passing yards.

Aaron Rodgers is 270 yards away from 4000 passing yards.

Philip Rivers is 198 yards away from 4000 passing yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised no-one mentioned the big record Philip Rivers has been chasing for the past several weeks. He's been trying to top Dan Fouts' team record 33 TDs. Its made him a great fantasy play because you knew the Chargers we're going to try to throw for touchdowns instead of running them. He was a sneaky play versus the Bucs for that reason. He's at 32 TDs so he's going to want at least 2 TD passes this week to set the record.

As was mentioned before, he wants 4000 yards, but the significance is he is gunning to be the first Chargers QB to throw for 4000 yards since Fouts in 1981. He's at 3802.

All of this has probably hurt LT2 that much more this year. If your QB is chasing the record books, there's not much time for running for touchdowns.

No to both of your questions, because it's unethical.
Agreed - I don't think Payton would resort to that kind of chicanery.What could happen, however, is if the Saints somehow are up big on the Panthers, Brees could continue to keep throwing when the normal course of action would be to run the ball to churn the clock.
I don't remotely think Payton would purposefully give up scores in order to get the record, however I do think there is a chance that he would bring the house many teams leaving WR's one on one with the intention of either making or giving up a big play. That risk reward sort of mentality would actually work pretty well for Brees to get the record, I would think and it would be anything but unethical to try and get a ton of sacks and play a lot of man on man coverage during the game.

Users who are viewing this thread