What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 4 IDP Coaches Corner (1 Viewer)

Thanks JB and CCommish. I really love the upside in Hodge and think he will be a better LB for the Packers in the very near future. And Peterson is a stud; I just pray he stays healthy in the playmaker defense he is in now. I will take my lumps this season and continue to build for the future, and that requires having first round draft picks.

Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones, Mike Turner, Marion Barber and Cedric Cobbs.
Alright, you have nice receivers (struggling) and above average backs for a 16 teamer; the top defense, and Plummer handcuffed at QB. I would not worry about this bye week problem. A situation like yours in a 16er is common, and I bet you're not the only one in that league. Ride it out. Best of luck. That sounds like a team that can make a run, which could cost you a heck of a player next year for the honor or owning Rex Grossman.I'm probably higher on Grossman than Jene. But that's not saying much. I like him in surivivor leagues as my QB3. I expect his gunslinger approach and the excellent defense to mix for some big weeks. I also expect him to be very bad against above average and better defenses. I'm far from convinced he has a long future as an NFL starter, but he is safe there for now. Even if we're both wrong in our low opinions, it's hard to imagine him being worthy of a 1st rounder. There's a lot of interesting QB situations around the league you may be able to take advantage of. The move Collins suggests you have your ear to the ground. This will work out. Good luck.

short question on the Seahawks Safeties: Boulware or Hamlin, who should do better either this week against the Bears and for the rest of the season (pretty ordinary scoring: 1pt/tackle, 3 pts/sack, 4 pts/Int)?

Another exciting week for this IDP newbie in his first IDP season. Once again, this is an 8 team redraft that requires I start 3 IDPs from any position with a roster limit of 5 IDP players. Solo (1), Sack (3), Interception (3), Fumble Force (2), Fumble Recovery (3), Touchdown (6), Safety (2), Pass Defended (1), Block Kick (2).

If you recall, at the time of my post last week, my roster consisted of:

J. Taylor Mia

G. Wilson NYG

D. Ryans Hou

L. Tatupu Sea

M. Peterson Jac

I provided a list of available players, and you suggestd I go after Peppers, Suggs, and Adrian Wilson, plus getting rid of the extra weight at IDP for more important offensive scoring positions. When I posted, I had placed Tatupu, Taylor and Peterson in my lineup. I took your advice wholesale, and as a result, I scored 3 more points than I would have, and won my game by 2.5 points. Thank you!

Here are the changes I made:

Dropped Taylor, grabbed J. Peppers.

Dropped G. Wilson, grabbed Adrain Wilson

Dropped Ryans, grabbed T. Suggs.

Dropped Tatupu, grabbed Desmond Clark

Dropped Peterson, grabbed Braylon Edwards

OK, enough of patting you on the back :bow:

Now that I am down to three IDP players, when injuries or byes come up how should I evaluate my options? I have been following the injury reports on T. Suggs closely, and I have been reading the subscriber info as it emerges. Should I be looking for good matchups or should I look to see who is hot?

IDP players just seem to be an entirely different animal. J. Porter can go off one game, and do squat the next...and this is from a Steelers homer. So the hot hand may not be the best idea (that's what led me to picking up Ryans).

Thanks in advance!

Luther

Now that I am down to three IDP players, when injuries or byes come up how should I evaluate my options? I have been following the injury reports on T. Suggs closely, and I have been reading the subscriber info as it emerges. Should I be looking for good matchups or should I look to see who is hot?
I would highly recommend grabbing a 4th IDP who doesn't have the same bye week as those other guys. For example, Gibril Wilson after this week would be a nice grab as he's past his bye.Even though it's an 8-teamer, I wouldn't want to be left starting a zero in case something happens in practice one week. Suggs is a good example of why you want one more guy before any waiver deadlines. I'd drop Suggs, and find a safer play this week.You should be looking to aggressively upgrade your roster, and trading IDP as throw-ins if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
short question on the Seahawks Safeties: Boulware or Hamlin, who should do better either this week against the Bears and for the rest of the season (pretty ordinary scoring: 1pt/tackle, 3 pts/sack, 4 pts/Int)?
Hamlin looks like he's back to his rookie form to me. I prefer him very slightly to Boulware who I think is overrated though off to a productive start. In that scoring Hamlin is top 10 right now. A couple years ago he looked like top 10 would be the norm (to me anyway). We may have some disagreement here...

Another exciting week for this IDP newbie in his first IDP season. Once again, this is an 8 team redraft that requires I start 3 IDPs from any position with a roster limit of 5 IDP players. Solo (1), Sack (3), Interception (3), Fumble Force (2), Fumble Recovery (3), Touchdown (6), Safety (2), Pass Defended (1), Block Kick (2). Dropped Taylor, grabbed J. Peppers.Dropped G. Wilson, grabbed Adrain WilsonDropped Ryans, grabbed T. Suggs.Now that I am down to three IDP players, when injuries or byes come up how should I evaluate my options?
Luther, I'm glad that worked out for you. We all get lucky sometimes. Now you have two DLs, albeit very good ones and a tip top DB, in a scoring system wherein LBs are probably the safest plays. It's something to consider before the bye weeks hit. As great as Peppers is, and as explosive as Suggs is, it is the nature of DLs to vanish on you when least expected or appreciated. Peppers ppg in your scoring wasn't very exciting last year. Suggs hammy is cause for concern. I'd be happy and willing to roll with just 3 IDPs and not worry about the bye weeks IF (BIG IF) the offensive player afforded me for the limited defense is very valuable. Braylon was gold and I'd rather have him knowing stud IDPs are available at the click of a mouse. Clark? Not so sure. I would have to know more. You may want to bring Lofa or Gibril back, as stevegamer suggests, if Clark is the best you could find on the offensive side of things.

I have LB Dontarrious Thomas of Minnesota and will have to start him as a bye week replacement this week. I hear he may start for Leber.

It looks like Shantae Orr is starting at LB for Houston. Would he be any better?

There's really nothing on the waiver wire. There's only one LB with more than 6 tackles available and that is Omar Gaither of the Eagles.

I know they are all long shots, but would love to hear any opinions.

It sure looks like Hamlin is going to be the better tackling option. Whether that's because the Seahawks have been ahead much of the past two games or just another in a long line of reasons to be disappointed in Boulware is hard to say yet. Add in the fact that Hamlin is playing well in coverage against a mistake prone quarterback that likes to throw deep across the middle and I'd roll with the Hammer this week.

Another exciting week for this IDP newbie in his first IDP season. Once again, this is an 8 team redraft that requires I start 3 IDPs from any position with a roster limit of 5 IDP players. Solo (1), Sack (3), Interception (3), Fumble Force (2), Fumble Recovery (3), Touchdown (6), Safety (2), Pass Defended (1), Block Kick (2). If you recall, at the time of my post last week, my roster consisted of:J. Taylor Mia G. Wilson NYG D. Ryans Hou L. Tatupu Sea M. Peterson JacI provided a list of available players, and you suggestd I go after Peppers, Suggs, and Adrian Wilson, plus getting rid of the extra weight at IDP for more important offensive scoring positions. When I posted, I had placed Tatupu, Taylor and Peterson in my lineup. I took your advice wholesale, and as a result, I scored 3 more points than I would have, and won my game by 2.5 points. Thank you!Here are the changes I made:Dropped Taylor, grabbed J. Peppers.Dropped G. Wilson, grabbed Adrain WilsonDropped Ryans, grabbed T. Suggs.Dropped Tatupu, grabbed Desmond ClarkDropped Peterson, grabbed Braylon EdwardsOK, enough of patting you on the back :bow: Now that I am down to three IDP players, when injuries or byes come up how should I evaluate my options? I have been following the injury reports on T. Suggs closely, and I have been reading the subscriber info as it emerges. Should I be looking for good matchups or should I look to see who is hot? IDP players just seem to be an entirely different animal. J. Porter can go off one game, and do squat the next...and this is from a Steelers homer. So the hot hand may not be the best idea (that's what led me to picking up Ryans).Thanks in advance!Luther
As we've said, many of us will advocate playing matchups in leagues where the waiver wire is stocked with good options and you don't have clear studs.I'd change up your roster again this week. I'm not a big fan of playing defensive linemen, no matter how studly, in tackle neutral leagues with solid LB options on the wire. And Desmond Clark has a fairly significant foot/ankle injury so he can go away.I'd be looking hard at dumping Peppers, Suggs, and Clark for three solid linebackers (you can hold off on moving on GWilson until after this bye week probably). Keep Suggs if you like, but I'd try to get Peterson and Ryans back on your roster this week and play AWilson with them in Week 5. Both have solid matchups against teams with top RBs and decent over the middle TE threats. I think I'd put Tatupu back on your roster over Suggs, too, but you might have trouble getting those three top 15 linebackers back on your roster.

Hamlin looks like he's back to his rookie form to me. I prefer him very slightly to Boulware who I think is overrated though off to a productive start. In that scoring Hamlin is top 10 right now. A couple years ago he looked like top 10 would be the norm (to me anyway). We may have some disagreement here...
Of course not, it appears we're sharing the same brain.

I have LB Dontarrious Thomas of Minnesota and will have to start him as a bye week replacement this week. I hear he may start for Leber.It looks like Shantae Orr is starting at LB for Houston. Would he be any better? There's really nothing on the waiver wire. There's only one LB with more than 6 tackles available and that is Omar Gaither of the Eagles.I know they are all long shots, but would love to hear any opinions.
Unfortunately, :yucky: is the only thought that comes to mind here.Thomas is the best option. He was getting some looks in nickel packages already and will probably get a couple extra blitz opportunities and may make some plays in pursuit even from the strong side so it's probably not be as bleak as it looks.Gaither isn't likely to get much playing time in what could be a closer game this week assuming Dawkins returns to play. And I'd flush Shawntee Orr from your brain altogether. He's taking up at least one or two valuable cells that could be used for something else.

ok, already got another one: with Sharper not doing that well so far in the new defensive system in Minn., do you think it's too early to get rid of him and picking up Dwight Smith instead (who doesn't put up spectacular, but at least solid numbers)? Not much more out there at DB, lots of CBs, whose stats are pumped up because of 1 or 2 Ints and a group of rookie safeties (Bullocks-DET, D. Manning, P. Watkins)

(14 team, 15 player-roster, IDP-only league, 1 pt/solo, 4 pts/sack, 5 pts/Int, 4 pts each for FF and FR)

And I'd flush Shawntee Orr from your brain altogether. He's taking up at least one or two valuable cells that could be used for something else.
That's the nature of this league. It's so deep you pretty much have to use brain cells on EVERYONE. There were almost 400 defensive players taken in the draft. Just fielding a lineup with every player starting is a challenge!Thanks for the response. I'll stick with Thomas.

I am struggling with DL and both Freeney and Mario Williams have been put on the "trade block" by another team. This is for a contract dynasty, so I would have hefty long term salaries on either (my #6 is Igor O - ugh). Are either worth persuing and, if so, what is a reasonable offer (generally speaking)? My entire DL is: S. Rogers, Kev. Williams, L. Castillo, I. Olshansky, Alex Brown, Darren Howard (start 3). TIA
I don't think I'd want to commit hefty long term contracts to Freeney or Mario. Your scoring system would help discuss your players and prospects. Your listed DLs aren't bad, but may require some patience. I'm surviving with similar (3-0 so far) and I don't feel desperate for a Mario/Freeney type overhyped underperformer.
I am also 3-0 thanks to solid Offense, LB and DB's. I am trying to stay away from increasing my salaries so it's not a move I WANT to make unless it is a REAL benefit. I forgot scoring (stupid me today): Sacks - 4/Tackle - 2/Assist - 1/fumble force or recovered - 3. Thaanks for the preliminary feedback. Any suggestion on who more "core" is for the above. Rogers and Brown have been inconsitent, Howard was invisible before last week and Williams has been invisible period.

Jene Bramel said:
Chaos Commish said:
Am I relying on Scout.com too heavily again?

Considering how poor the defensive line was at pressuring the quarterback, you had to know that this unit would need to make a bunch of tackles and they did pretty well. Angelo Crowell led the unit with 10 total tackles. He did a nice job at Strongside linebacker. London Fletcher was his usual self, roaming the field and making tackles. He finished the day with 7 total. Keith Ellison impressed me as he was in on 8-total tackles and did a nice job helping keep the Jets running game in check.
Huh. That's more than just scout.com, that's BillsZone.I think they got this wrong though. Let me flip through the gamebooks and check with Rudnicki. I didn't see enough of this game to know for certain.

Not enough information in the gamebook play-by-play lines to make any educated guess. If it is the case though, Crowell (6-4) significantly outplayed Ellison (1-7) in all likelihood from a point of attack and pursuit standpoint.
Okay, Rudnicki sent me the following PM.
yeah, he's been playing SLB since Spikes went out and Ellison was inserted into the lineup. Don't think it's that significant as teams are running to his side of the field pretty often. There's a chance Spikes could return this week and Crowell would be shifted back to WLB.
This, plus Scout.com, would lead me to believe that the NFL.com gamebooks are completely untrustworthy this year. Between the Vikings stat spotters this week, the continued inability to correct the Jets depth chart, etc, it shouldn't be surprising.

Thankfully, we have Youtube. There were a couple of highlight reels posted of the Jet-Bill game this week. The truth is -- it's somewhere in-between most likely which is what we've suspected all along. There were four highlight plays that were decipherable. Crowell lined up on the right side for three, on the left for one and 50/50 weak/strong.

So, as Aaron suspected from the time Spikes went out, it has stayed a right/left deal apparently. And it appears that everybody is right in some form. But it's good to know that the gamebooks are a bit more shady than usual this season.

Oh, I still like Hayes. :)

europack said:
ok, already got another one: with Sharper not doing that well so far in the new defensive system in Minn., do you think it's too early to get rid of him and picking up Dwight Smith instead (who doesn't put up spectacular, but at least solid numbers)? Not much more out there at DB, lots of CBs, whose stats are pumped up because of 1 or 2 Ints and a group of rookie safeties (Bullocks-DET, D. Manning, P. Watkins) (14 team, 15 player-roster, IDP-only league, 1 pt/solo, 4 pts/sack, 5 pts/Int, 4 pts each for FF and FR)
I think Sharper still has some decent value and probably more than Smith. Daniel Bullocks has some upside filling in for Kenoy Kennedy. Although he's in the same system as Sharper, he's behind a MLB rotation that isn't playing nearly as well as Napoleon Harris. Sharper has a knack for the big play and huge games, though, so I think I'd hold tight.

pacman_fl said:
I am also 3-0 thanks to solid Offense, LB and DB's. I am trying to stay away from increasing my salaries so it's not a move I WANT to make unless it is a REAL benefit. I forgot scoring (stupid me today): Sacks - 4/Tackle - 2/Assist - 1/fumble force or recovered - 3. Thaanks for the preliminary feedback. Any suggestion on who more "core" is for the above. Rogers and Brown have been inconsitent, Howard was invisible before last week and Williams has been invisible period.
Scoring system tackle heavy a bit. I'd rank them like Howard/Brown/Rogers/Castillo/Williams/Olshansky. Freeney would be in the Castillo range with inconsistent upside. Williams a bit better for the long term but difficult to slot. Could be easily the best on your roster. Could be worse than Freeney.

I slightly prefer Boulware, but it's close. I'm a Seahawks fan, but I don't have Sunday ticket this year, so I haven't seen a lot. Boulware seems to have the instincts to get picks off erratic QB's and take them to the house. I'm also slightly worried about Hamlin's health still. I can't argue if someone sees it the other way.

pacman_fl said:
I am struggling with DL and both Freeney and Mario Williams have been put on the "trade block" by another team. This is for a contract dynasty, so I would have hefty long term salaries on either (my #6 is Igor O - ugh). Are either worth persuing and, if so, what is a reasonable offer (generally speaking)? My entire DL is: S. Rogers, Kev. Williams, L. Castillo, I. Olshansky, Alex Brown, Darren Howard (start 3). TIA
I don't think I'd want to commit hefty long term contracts to Freeney or Mario. Your scoring system would help discuss your players and prospects. Your listed DLs aren't bad, but may require some patience. I'm surviving with similar (3-0 so far) and I don't feel desperate for a Mario/Freeney type overhyped underperformer.
Darren Howard, S. Rogers, Alex Brown, L. Castillo, Kev. Williams, I. OlshanskyIf DT is separate, bump Rogers up to the top, and Castillo closes on Brown.

I'd pass on those guys - I would look at trying to get somebody in final year of contract to help out if possible.

MY 2 cornerbacks are Shawntae Spencer and Jimmy Williams. I just dropped Williams to make room for a productive CB, but the CB crowd is thin. I need advice on a good CB to grab that might be available on the waiver wire. Fahkir Brown has the same bye as Spencer so he is out. And I don't know alot about the following players that I am prospecting.

Kelly Herndon

Terence Newman or Anthony Henry

David Barret ( been questionable all 4 weeks now, but decent stats-might be Mangini's crazy defense)

Lewis Sanders

Deshae Townsend ( looked flukie to me last week)

Patrick Surtain

Ricky Manning-interesting, Bears not a problem for me..

Others of note (Webster, McQuarters, Woodson, Madison, Harper(Q),Darrent Williams, Carlos Rogers, Smoot, Lewis Sanders)

WDIS - dynasty team - start 3 DL. 1 pt tackle .05 assist 5 pt bonus for 5 tackles, sacks 5 pts, 5 pt bonus after 2, another 5 pt bonus after 3 sacks, FF 3, FR 4 + yardage 1 pt per 10 yds return on fumbles. Interceptions 8 - very agressive IDP scoring.

Do you start Schobel against MN who is in the top 10 of giving up points to DL and hope he breaks out of his slump or

Do you start Victor Adeyanju against Detroit who surprisingly have been more stingy giving up pts to DL.

Haven't won a game yet in this league so really need to kickstart this week. Got some key players back from bye week last week. DL has not been productive. I know Victor had a good game against the Cardinals but is he the real deal or just pumped up with finally getting the starting nod? Can Schobel continue his slump?

TIA

Ok, I rarely ask for help but I'm in a bit of a quandry.

Tackles average 3.5 each, "big plays" are 10 each (sack, INT, etc)

Assists 1 pt

Passed Def. 2 pts

Start 3 DL, 4 LB, 4 DB, roster 6 each.

This is an auction league, keepers up to 3 years.

My linebackers:

Brian Urlacher

Jeremiah Trotter

Lofa Tatupu

Thomas Howard

Thomas Davis

D'Qwell Jackson

So I'm not really hurting at LB but an impatient owner dropped Kawika Mitchell last week and he's still sitting there on the waiver wire. He hasn't been much of anything so far but it's hard to just let the guy sit there. If I pick him up he's cheap and I can keep him 1 more year after this.

I'd drop either Jackson or Davis to get him, both are also cheap, keep 2 more years after this year.

Is Mitchell worth more to me this year then either Davis or Jackson? Am I killing myself longterm if I make this move? Which one would you drop?

Thanks!

MY 2 cornerbacks are Shawntae Spencer and Jimmy Williams. I just dropped Williams to make room for a productive CB, but the CB crowd is thin. I need advice on a good CB to grab that might be available on the waiver wire. Fahkir Brown has the same bye as Spencer so he is out. And I don't know alot about the following players that I am prospecting.Kelly HerndonTerence Newman or Anthony HenryDavid Barret ( been questionable all 4 weeks now, but decent stats-might be Mangini's crazy defense)Lewis SandersDeshae Townsend ( looked flukie to me last week)Patrick SurtainRicky Manning-interesting, Bears not a problem for me..Others of note (Webster, McQuarters, Woodson, Madison, Harper(Q),Darrent Williams, Carlos Rogers, Smoot, Lewis Sanders)
Darrent WilliamsFred SmootKelly HerndonAnthony HenryDavid Barrett (Q)Nick Harper (Q)I like them in this order going forward. I am fairly high on Williams, Smoot, Herndon and Henry for being consistent (as can be expected for CBs), while having some very big games mixed in. More than once I have pimped Smoot around here, so if I have mistaken bias Williams is solid. 20 solos so far and the good stuff will come his way.

As we've said, many of us will advocate playing matchups in leagues where the waiver wire is stocked with good options and you don't have clear studs.I'd change up your roster again this week. I'm not a big fan of playing defensive linemen, no matter how studly, in tackle neutral leagues with solid LB options on the wire. And Desmond Clark has a fairly significant foot/ankle injury so he can go away.I'd be looking hard at dumping Peppers, Suggs, and Clark for three solid linebackers (you can hold off on moving on GWilson until after this bye week probably). Keep Suggs if you like, but I'd try to get Peterson and Ryans back on your roster this week and play AWilson with them in Week 5. Both have solid matchups against teams with top RBs and decent over the middle TE threats. I think I'd put Tatupu back on your roster over Suggs, too, but you might have trouble getting those three top 15 linebackers back on your roster.
Ryans and Tatupu are still available, while Peterson won't clear waivers until Sunday (dropped earlier in the week). He was snatchup when he cleared waivers after I dropped him. I could easily add either or both of the two, but just to gauge if I am estimating values correctly when trying to assess good IDP matchups, here are three players currently listed in my league as free agents that I believe are good plays this week:Gerald Hayes @ Atlanta; I am thinking the Falcons are going to run, run, run...potential for solo tacklesDemarcus Ware @ Tennessee; It's the Titan offenseScott Fujita @ Carolina; Panthers are passing more than rushing...I think they will try to run the ball more this week. As a Delhomme owner, I am quite aware that the Panther Oline has given up 9 sacks so far.Am I starting to get the right mindset here?edited to improve readability

WDIS - dynasty team - start 3 DL. 1 pt tackle .05 assist 5 pt bonus for 5 tackles, sacks 5 pts, 5 pt bonus after 2, another 5 pt bonus after 3 sacks, FF 3, FR 4 + yardage 1 pt per 10 yds return on fumbles. Interceptions 8 - very agressive IDP scoring.Do you start Schobel against MN who is in the top 10 of giving up points to DL and hope he breaks out of his slump orDo you start Victor Adeyanju against Detroit who surprisingly have been more stingy giving up pts to DL. Haven't won a game yet in this league so really need to kickstart this week. Got some key players back from bye week last week. DL has not been productive. I know Victor had a good game against the Cardinals but is he the real deal or just pumped up with finally getting the starting nod? Can Schobel continue his slump? TIA
Adeyanju is probably the real deal, but that doesn't make him better than Hargrove at this point. It sounds like both will play this week as Hargrove squirms out of the doghouse. I'd go with Schobel, again and again, or maybe for the last time. :wall:

Ok, I rarely ask for help but I'm in a bit of a quandry.Tackles average 3.5 each, "big plays" are 10 each (sack, INT, etc)Assists 1 ptPassed Def. 2 ptsStart 3 DL, 4 LB, 4 DB, roster 6 each.This is an auction league, keepers up to 3 years.My linebackers:Brian UrlacherJeremiah TrotterLofa TatupuThomas HowardThomas DavisD'Qwell JacksonSo I'm not really hurting at LB but an impatient owner dropped Kawika Mitchell last week and he's still sitting there on the waiver wire. He hasn't been much of anything so far but it's hard to just let the guy sit there. If I pick him up he's cheap and I can keep him 1 more year after this.I'd drop either Jackson or Davis to get him, both are also cheap, keep 2 more years after this year.Is Mitchell worth more to me this year then either Davis or Jackson? Am I killing myself longterm if I make this move? Which one would you drop?Thanks!
Sheesh. I don't want to be party to this decision, but I would want Mithell and I would start him regularly. You say keepers up to three years. How many can you keep?

MY 2 cornerbacks are Shawntae Spencer and Jimmy Williams. I just dropped Williams to make room for a productive CB, but the CB crowd is thin. I need advice on a good CB to grab that might be available on the waiver wire. Fahkir Brown has the same bye as Spencer so he is out. And I don't know alot about the following players that I am prospecting.Kelly HerndonTerence Newman or Anthony HenryDavid Barret ( been questionable all 4 weeks now, but decent stats-might be Mangini's crazy defense)Lewis SandersDeshae Townsend ( looked flukie to me last week)Patrick SurtainRicky Manning-interesting, Bears not a problem for me..Others of note (Webster, McQuarters, Woodson, Madison, Harper(Q),Darrent Williams, Carlos Rogers, Smoot, Lewis Sanders)
Going to have to play matchups here I'd think. Herndon, Henry, Sanders, Woodson are all across from better corners and likely to have more opportunity overall. Corey Webster is an interesting guy, but may be losing his job soon. Barrett, too.If you're league is big play heavy, find the most mistake prone QB playing on the road on see if you can get a corner facing him. If you get good points from passes defended, try to get a corner playing in Philadelphia that week -- their spotter gives out PD in ridiculous numbers. If you're league is tackle heavy, grab a T2 corner and hope for the best.This week, I'd look hard at Lewis Sanders. I haven't heard that Philip Buchanon will start yet. Across from Dunta Robinson, against a decent running game and a mistake prone QB on the road, he may be your best bet. Also, David Barrett is likely to get tons of work (rotating 2nd-3rd corner or not) against the Colts passing offense.

WDIS - dynasty team - start 3 DL. 1 pt tackle .05 assist 5 pt bonus for 5 tackles, sacks 5 pts, 5 pt bonus after 2, another 5 pt bonus after 3 sacks, FF 3, FR 4 + yardage 1 pt per 10 yds return on fumbles. Interceptions 8 - very agressive IDP scoring.Do you start Schobel against MN who is in the top 10 of giving up points to DL and hope he breaks out of his slump orDo you start Victor Adeyanju against Detroit who surprisingly have been more stingy giving up pts to DL. Haven't won a game yet in this league so really need to kickstart this week. Got some key players back from bye week last week. DL has not been productive. I know Victor had a good game against the Cardinals but is he the real deal or just pumped up with finally getting the starting nod? Can Schobel continue his slump? TIA
I'm stubborn. I'm still startng Schobel, especially if Spikes comes back. Alex Brown was able to get some decent pressure from RDE last week against the Vikes. I do think Adenayju is the real deal though. You won't hurt yourself by starting him if you want to take the gotta-show-me-something approach with Schobel.

Ok, I rarely ask for help but I'm in a bit of a quandry.Tackles average 3.5 each, "big plays" are 10 each (sack, INT, etc)Assists 1 ptPassed Def. 2 ptsStart 3 DL, 4 LB, 4 DB, roster 6 each.This is an auction league, keepers up to 3 years.My linebackers:Brian UrlacherJeremiah TrotterLofa TatupuThomas HowardThomas DavisD'Qwell JacksonSo I'm not really hurting at LB but an impatient owner dropped Kawika Mitchell last week and he's still sitting there on the waiver wire. He hasn't been much of anything so far but it's hard to just let the guy sit there. If I pick him up he's cheap and I can keep him 1 more year after this.I'd drop either Jackson or Davis to get him, both are also cheap, keep 2 more years after this year.Is Mitchell worth more to me this year then either Davis or Jackson? Am I killing myself longterm if I make this move? Which one would you drop?Thanks!
Get Mitchell now. Right now.And I'd drop Davis. Mitchell gives you four solid backers and D'Qwell is producing just enough to give you the same solid production as a bye week replacement that Davis would for now. I still like Jackson's potential as I think he's going to be the best linebacker talent-wise on that team and should probably still make plays from the RILB spot. And Davis hasn't shown that he'll get to the quarterback yet.Could make an argument for Davis just as easily though.Bottom line, though, the cap issue doesn't look to be major. And Mitchell, IMO, is one of the best buy low candidates out there. I'd trade either player in question for Mitchell in my dynasty leagues. I struggle to drop guys I've drafted and am trying to develop too, but Mitchell is a stud at LB3 or 4. I make the move.

Ryans and Tatupu are still available, while Peterson won't clear waivers until Sunday (dropped earlier in the week). He was snatchup when he cleared waivers after I dropped him. I could easily add either or both of the two, but just to gauge if I am estimating values correctly when trying to assess good IDP matchups, here are three players currently listed in my league as free agents that I believe are good plays this week:Gerald Hayes @ Atlanta; I am thinking the Falcons are going to run, run, run...potential for solo tacklesDemarcus Ware @ Tennessee; It's the Titan offenseScott Fujita @ Carolina; Panthers are passing more than rushing...I think they will try to run the ball more this week. As a Delhomme owner, I am quite aware that the Panther Oline has given up 9 sacks so far.Am I starting to get the right mindset here?edited to improve readability
I think you've got the right general idea. I like all three matchups listed, too.My feelings on Hayes should be clear to any forum regular so I'll hold my tongue there. With Ware and Fujita, yes, I agree. But when there are studs to be had (and I don't think Fujita is quite that reliable yet), projecting a player who needs a couple things to go right for him to get stats when the stud MLB is available may be over-analyzing a bit.Not to discourage you, because the matchup exercise is important and should always be considered. But every IDP manager goes through the "I get this IDP thing and know enough where maybe I can squeeze an extra point out of this matchup instead of taking the easy route out and starting my studs" stage. While that may not apply specifically to you, there's a reason those stud MLB are atop the lists at season's end every year. They transcend matchups in nearly every case.

Could make an argument for Davis just as easily though.
Exactly why I didn't want to make the call. Davis still has superstar potential, moreso imo, than Howard or Jackson. It seems a shame that trading one for help elsewhere is unlikely. If this is my team... I... drop... Thomas Howard, sadly.

Sheesh. I don't want to be party to this decision, but I would want Mithell and I would start him regularly. You say keepers up to three years. How many can you keep?
Thanks. And thanks to Bramel as well. We can keep up to 12 players each year, 35 man rosters. I here you guys with Mitchell, I hate giving up young talent though. But if it helps me to win a championship this year it's worth it. I was thinking about dropping Davis but he is scoring quite well actually in my league, 25 pts last week. I'll see if I can swing a trade with one of these guys and pick up a scrub LB in the process that will make it easy to drop. :)

I'll see if I can swing a trade with one of these guys and pick up a scrub LB in the process that will make it easy to drop. :)
Good plan. It will make sleeping at night easier if you pull it off. But don't dilly dally on Mitchell. Bramel is right. Get him. I think the difference in Jackson, Howard, and Thomas is impossible to discern at this point. It's all based on educated opinions, and they differ. You can live without any of them. Get Mitchell and move along.

bonscott said:
Chaos Commish said:
bonscott said:
Thanks. And thanks to Bramel as well. We can keep up to 12 players each year, 35 man rosters. I here you guys with Mitchell, I hate giving up young talent though. But if it helps me to win a championship this year it's worth it. I was thinking about dropping Davis but he is scoring quite well actually in my league, 25 pts last week. I'll see if I can swing a trade with one of these guys and pick up a scrub LB in the process that will make it easy to drop. :)
Hating to give up young talent is fine, but Mitchell is someone I'd drop any of those 3 LB's for in a heartbeat for production over the next 2 years. Dealing one of the young guys is a good idea, though. Find a guy who is always looking for the next thing, and give it to him. Meanwhile, you get the thing that exists now, and will continue to exist.

I've been debating this with two of my league-mates who both write IDP for competing sites.

They both have Zach Thomas in the top 5 LBs on their IDP cheatsheets this week.

I, on the other hand, am planning on benching him and going with Ernie Sims or Thomas Davis instead.

One guy thinks Zach is good for 2 sacks this week vs Houston--I think he's confused Zach with his brother in law JTaylor.

I think HOU will not be able to run the ball, abandon that idea quickly, and resort to throwing the ball all game, thus reducing Zach's impact and statistics (since he's not a 3 down backer).

Be interested to hear your opinion on this.

I've been debating this with two of my league-mates who both write IDP for competing sites. They both have Zach Thomas in the top 5 LBs on their IDP cheatsheets this week.I, on the other hand, am planning on benching him and going with Ernie Sims or Thomas Davis instead.One guy thinks Zach is good for 2 sacks this week vs Houston--I think he's confused Zach with his brother in law JTaylor.I think HOU will not be able to run the ball, abandon that idea quickly, and resort to throwing the ball all game, thus reducing Zach's impact and statistics (since he's not a 3 down backer).Be interested to hear your opinion on this.
I hear ya. The other matchups do look better. Davis could be gold the way NO keeps everything near the LoS yet spread between the sidelines. Sims against the Rams should have more opportunities than Zach against the Texans. Houston can't get their D off the field. But, Miami's offense hasn't been good either. Houston is scoring more and pretty close in yards. I think this game will be typical for Zach. I would be start him.

I've been debating this with two of my league-mates who both write IDP for competing sites. They both have Zach Thomas in the top 5 LBs on their IDP cheatsheets this week.I, on the other hand, am planning on benching him and going with Ernie Sims or Thomas Davis instead.One guy thinks Zach is good for 2 sacks this week vs Houston--I think he's confused Zach with his brother in law JTaylor.I think HOU will not be able to run the ball, abandon that idea quickly, and resort to throwing the ball all game, thus reducing Zach's impact and statistics (since he's not a 3 down backer).Be interested to hear your opinion on this.
I'll agree and disagree. :D I'm not sure how you project ZThomas to get 2 sacks this week when he's not usually a blitzing linebacker and hasn't averaged 2 sacks per season for his career. The Texans have given up an average of 3 sacks a game this year -- most of them after falling behind in games by edge rushers. Lemar Marshall's 1/2 sack is the only LB sack the Texans have given up. The best sack producing LB the Texans have faced thus far, Marcus Washington, had no sacks or quarterback hurries last week.And I don't disagree that the Dolphins should hold the Texan running game in check with a solid front seven. However, somebody will still make tackles and Thomas has to be the odds-on favorite by scheme, especially against a zone-blocking, one-cut team like the Texans desire to be. And Thomas is a three down back in my mind. He's not as successful in coverage as you'd like but is rarely left man-to-man on a TE as the MLB. But he's is on the field on all downs and only rarely comes off in favor of Crowder/Spragan. So he should make some plays in coverage across the middle in zone defense.Thomas Davis could have an interesting day if he is a big part of the "Watch Reggie Bush" gameplan, but I think after Draft's showing last week, that there won't be as much opportunity for tackles as Thomas. Sims is another issue. While I think I'd still lean toward Thomas for the reasons noted above, Sims is a closer call. I wouldn't put Thomas in my top five backers this week (and Norton has him projected 19, but only one point out of the top ten), but I wouldn't bench him this week based on a perceived "poor matchup" either.I think either Thomas or Sims will produce solid numbers this week, whichever way you choose to go.

I've been debating this with two of my league-mates who both write IDP for competing sites.

They both have Zach Thomas in the top 5 LBs on their IDP cheatsheets this week.

I, on the other hand, am planning on benching him and going with Ernie Sims or Thomas Davis instead.

One guy thinks Zach is good for 2 sacks this week vs Houston--I think he's confused Zach with his brother in law JTaylor.

I think HOU will not be able to run the ball, abandon that idea quickly, and resort to throwing the ball all game, thus reducing Zach's impact and statistics (since he's not a 3 down backer).

Be interested to hear your opinion on this.
I'll agree and disagree. :D I'm not sure how you project ZThomas to get 2 sacks this week when he's not usually a blitzing linebacker and hasn't averaged 2 sacks per season for his career. The Texans have given up an average of 3 sacks a game this year -- most of them after falling behind in games by edge rushers. Lemar Marshall's 1/2 sack is the only LB sack the Texans have given up. The best sack producing LB the Texans have faced thus far, Marcus Washington, had no sacks or quarterback hurries last week.

And I don't disagree that the Dolphins should hold the Texan running game in check with a solid front seven. However, somebody will still make tackles and Thomas has to be the odds-on favorite by scheme, especially against a zone-blocking, one-cut team like the Texans desire to be. And Thomas is a three down back in my mind. He's not as successful in coverage as you'd like but is rarely left man-to-man on a TE as the MLB. But he's is on the field on all downs and only rarely comes off in favor of Crowder/Spragan. So he should make some plays in coverage across the middle in zone defense.

Thomas Davis could have an interesting day if he is a big part of the "Watch Reggie Bush" gameplan, but I think after Draft's showing last week, that there won't be as much opportunity for tackles as Thomas. Sims is another issue. While I think I'd still lean toward Thomas for the reasons noted above, Sims is a closer call.

I wouldn't put Thomas in my top five backers this week (and Norton has him projected 19, but only one point out of the top ten), but I wouldn't bench him this week based on a perceived "poor matchup" either.

I think either Thomas or Sims will produce solid numbers this week, whichever way you choose to go.
Fair assesment--only thing is that I don't project Zach w/2 sacks. Thats one of your competitors that did that. :D Thank you and CC for your input. :goodposting:

5Rings said:
Jene Bramel said:
I'm not sure how you project ZThomas to get 2 sacks this week when he's not usually a blitzing linebacker and hasn't averaged 2 sacks per season for his career.
Fair assesment--only thing is that I don't project Zach w/2 sacks. Thats one of your competitors that did that. :D Thank you and CC for your input. :goodposting:
Yeah, that didn't come out right. That was a pretty nebulous you -- and not meant to mean you personally. You know? :loco: :hophead: :)

2 pts tackle

1 pts asst

1 pts Pass Defend

Which two DBs?

Shawnte Spencer vs Chiefs

Sammy Knight vs 49ers

Sean Jones vs Raiders

Thanks.

Start 3 DL/LB/DB, 1 DL/LB, 1 DB

I have Witherspoon, Suggs, Brackett, M. Brown, and De. Smith

The latter two have not been pulling their weight.

Tackle Solo (1)

Tackle Assist (.5)

Sack (3)

Interception (4)

Fumble Force (4)

Fumble Recovery (4)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (2)

Pass Defended (1)

Block Kick (4)

With that scoring in place, would you grab any of the following to replace the players above?

DB Clements, Archuleta, Dunta Robinson, R. Harper, Whitner, Fak. Brown, Hamlin, Hope, Barrett

DL/LB W. Smith, C. Grant, R. Mathis (IND), Rice, D. White, Fujita, Mi. Patterson, Haggans, Denney, Greenwood, Cole

2 pts tackle1 pts asst1 pts Pass DefendWhich two DBs?Shawnte Spencer vs ChiefsSammy Knight vs 49ersSean Jones vs RaidersThanks.
Jones and Spencer. I don't like Knight's situation there with the young safeties. I like Shawntae vs. Huard. Jones against the Raiders should be fine.

Start 3 DL/LB/DB, 1 DL/LB, 1 DBI have Witherspoon, Suggs, Brackett, M. Brown, and De. SmithThe latter two have not been pulling their weight.Tackle Solo (1)Tackle Assist (.5)Sack (3)Interception (4)Fumble Force (4)Fumble Recovery (4)Touchdown (6)Safety (2)Pass Defended (1)Block Kick (4)With that scoring in place, would you grab any of the following to replace the players above?DB Clements, Archuleta, Dunta Robinson, R. Harper, Whitner, Fak. Brown, Hamlin, Hope, BarrettDL/LB W. Smith, C. Grant, R. Mathis (IND), Rice, D. White, Fujita, Mi. Patterson, Haggans, Denney, Greenwood, Cole
Start five and carry five? No IDPs on the bench? The Hamlin fan inside me says snag him fast. The Brown fan in me says soon as you do that MB gets a sack forces a fumble recovers it and scores a series after he gets a pick. Your scoring is balanced so LBs > DLs, and I think Derek Smith is probably fine, but Greenwood is on the field an awful lot and Fujita is hot. You probably won't make a big mistake making a change, but I don't see a great upgrade here. If you're itching for change go with Hamlin, if you need another scratch... ugh... Fujita or Greenwood barely over the DLs. Honestly, I'd stick with Smith another week. He may end up the best of the lot yet. I'm a little surprised that a start five has just this available. Who are we leaving off the list?

Start 3 DL/LB/DB, 1 DL/LB, 1 DBI have Witherspoon, Suggs, Brackett, M. Brown, and De. SmithThe latter two have not been pulling their weight.Tackle Solo (1)Tackle Assist (.5)Sack (3)Interception (4)Fumble Force (4)Fumble Recovery (4)Touchdown (6)Safety (2)Pass Defended (1)Block Kick (4)With that scoring in place, would you grab any of the following to replace the players above?DB Clements, Archuleta, Dunta Robinson, R. Harper, Whitner, Fak. Brown, Hamlin, Hope, BarrettDL/LB W. Smith, C. Grant, R. Mathis (IND), Rice, D. White, Fujita, Mi. Patterson, Haggans, Denney, Greenwood, Cole
Start five and carry five? No IDPs on the bench? The Hamlin fan inside me says snag him fast. The Brown fan in me says soon as you do that MB gets a sack forces a fumble recovers it and scores a series after he gets a pick. Your scoring is balanced so LBs > DLs, and I think Derek Smith is probably fine, but Greenwood is on the field an awful lot and Fujita is hot. You probably won't make a big mistake making a change, but I don't see a great upgrade here. If you're itching for change go with Hamlin, if you need another scratch... ugh... Fujita or Greenwood barely over the DLs. Honestly, I'd stick with Smith another week. He may end up the best of the lot yet. I'm a little surprised that a start five has just this available. Who are we leaving off the list?
I should've mentioned that it is a 16 team league with 7 bench spots per team. I have all back up RBs on my bench pretty much. Someone dropped Strahan and I also noticed Ogunleye on there. Def. seems plentiful to me so I probably won't pick up a 6th guy until a bye week.oh, and thanks for the tips.

Start 3 DL/LB/DB, 1 DL/LB, 1 DBI have Witherspoon, Suggs, Brackett, M. Brown, and De. SmithDB Clements, Archuleta, Dunta Robinson, R. Harper, Whitner, Fak. Brown, Hamlin, Hope, BarrettDL/LB W. Smith, C. Grant, R. Mathis (IND), Rice, D. White, Fujita, Mi. Patterson, Haggans, Denney, Greenwood, Cole
I'm a little surprised that a start five has just this available. Who are we leaving off the list?
I should've mentioned that it is a 16 team league with 7 bench spots per team. I have all back up RBs on my bench pretty much. Someone dropped Strahan and I also noticed Ogunleye on there. Def. seems plentiful to me so I probably won't pick up a 6th guy until a bye week.oh, and thanks for the tips.
16 teams explains the depleted wire.nase, you may be a candidate for an approach I'm taking. It is high risk, so I can't comfortably suggest it, but it may make sense to you. Denney is redhot. Patterson has that crazy play, call it an anomaly and he'll fade away. You have access to WSmith, CGrant, Strahan, Ogun, and Rice. My keeper is a start 5 with all D flexes. So LBs are wiped clean but some studly DLs and DBs are available. Scoring similar to yours, very similar. I put all my efforts into the offense this year, because I have made some knuckleheaded moves. I still want to win this year and I am 2-1. So, DLs tend to score in bunches and be inconsistent. I decided to take my chances and go with some stud DLs and use the wire to play matchups. WSmith or CGrant could be nice plays against Carolina. Their line isn't impressing, and they're playing good football. Cole is going to get his against GB. So adding one of these in place of DSmith, while a touch riskier, carries a higher reward. I'm seeking that reward in the similar league. I'd go with WSmith (and Hamlin), knowing I could be changing that DL regularly. Strahan is going to get his after the bye week, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread