What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

$#**&%@ Week 6 byes! (1 Viewer)

Fenster

Footballguy
I know you're not supposed to let one week out of the season affect your draft strategy, but Week 6 (and, for that matter, Week 8) is killing me on the schedule.

Just check out who all has a bye that week: Gore, Addai, FWP, Henry, Marshawn Lynch ... OK, that last one was a reach, but I hate to see so many good RBs idle in the same week. It especially hurts me, because I have Henry as my keeper -- and with the No. 4 pick in my draft, Gore, FWP and Addai were all being heavily considered for Round 1. I also have Westy in the running, but was leaning more toward FWP just because I'm leery of Westy and Gore's injury history and I think FWP's due for a breakout year. But now I'm wondering if I should be looking more at Westy just because I hate the idea of having my two top runners out for the same week. It would force me to go a little heavier on RBs in the early rounds to make up for the loss, and that nullifies the advantage of having Henry as my keeper.

My point (finally) is this: Do you let things like bye weeks affect how you draft? Am I just over-thinking this?

I know you're not supposed to let one week out of the season affect your draft strategy, but Week 6 (and, for that matter, Week 8) is killing me on the schedule.

Just check out who all has a bye that week: Gore, Addai, FWP, Henry, Marshawn Lynch ... OK, that last one was a reach, but I hate to see so many good RBs idle in the same week. It especially hurts me, because I have Henry as my keeper -- and with the No. 4 pick in my draft, Gore, FWP and Addai were all being heavily considered for Round 1. I also have Westy in the running, but was leaning more toward FWP just because I'm leery of Westy and Gore's injury history and I think FWP's due for a breakout year. But now I'm wondering if I should be looking more at Westy just because I hate the idea of having my two top runners out for the same week. It would force me to go a little heavier on RBs in the early rounds to make up for the loss, and that nullifies the advantage of having Henry as my keeper.

My point (finally) is this: Do you let things like bye weeks affect how you draft? Am I just over-thinking this?
No and yes.

How about this thought: come week 16, will I care about week 6, or will I just want to have the strongest team possible?

No and yes.
Short and to the point. And I can't argue.

My point (finally) is this: Do you let things like bye weeks affect how you draft? Am I just over-thinking this? Can i sneak a ACF question in the Sharkpool?
Fixed

I've decided to play my best lineup. I will be missing Peyton, Harrison and Wayne. Put me down for a big "L" come week 6.

It makes a difference in a survivor league, but in a regular one, it's just one week where you have to hope your opponent tanks worse than you do.

I'm not going to let week 6 changes my plans. I'm in a 10 team redraft league and plan to target Addai in the first and Henry in the second. Both are off week 6, but I will be full strength at RB for the rest of the season. Barring injury of course.........

I wrote an article about this earlier in the offseason - here it is for what it's worth to ya'.

Debunking the Myth of the Bye Week Blues

17 Jun 2007

Forgive me up front for gettin' my rant on for a minute. I know I'll never be mistaken for a guy that tells you what you want to hear, but rather someone who hopefully sheds some new light on an old situation for you. There are a select few "truisms" in F.F. that, through many years of personal experience I have found to be complete hogwash. The best way to navigate the gauntlet of those dreaded bye weeks is one such steaming pile that gets my blood pressure up every time I here it kicked around in fantasy message boards and other circles of strategy discussion....

Usually it's because bye week strategy is brought up by the guy who considers himself to be the fantasy guru of the bunch, with a statement along the lines of "Man I can't believe you took Palmer there. Since you drafted C.J. in the 2nd round it's still early in the draft and you've already put yourself in a real pinch for week 5".

I'm not sure who the brainiac was that first developed the standardized bye week strategy that is now contained in virually any piece of "Fantasy Football 101" literature in existence (and believe me, there's a lot of it). In case you're somewhat new to F.F., as in this is the FIRST article you've EVER read in your life about the game, standard bye week strategy reads something like this:

"All things being equal, you should try to spread out the bye weeks of the major skill positions (QB/RB/WR/TE) on your fantasy squad, so ideally you never have more than 1-2 starters on a bye at any given time". Cue the Guinness beer dudes screaming "Brilliant!" at each other.

Look, I cannot really blame someone for dreaming up this little gem many years ago. I cannot even blame the MILLIONS of fantasy players who live and die by this advice every single year. For starters, we're all spoonfed the bye week B.S. from the time we're fantasy pups. By year 4 or 5, it's as true to us as handcuffing your stud R.B. And the truth is - it SEEMS like common sense, it HAS to be true! What idiot wouldn't want to put his highest scoring potential team on the field each week?! Well, I'm the lone idiot over here with my hand held high.

So let's get to the nuts-n-bolts of it here. In the upcoming '07 season - fantasy ballers everywhere are faced with seven bye weeks (week 4 through week 10). For ease of dicussion and the length of this article's sake, let's just forget about K, DEF, I.D.P. etc., and account for a fairly standard starting fantasy roster of 1QB, 2RB's and 3WR's. According to our Bye Week Warfare Survival Guide the ideal scenario would be for ONE of them to each be on a bye weeks 4-10 this year. Also for considerations of your valuable time - let's imagine our replacement (#2QB, #3RB and #4WR) will perform at an average of 70% scoring power of the starter he's replacing - and I think that's being generous. When I waffle a # here and a few percentage pts. there - I calculate that on the average bye week you're probably fielding a team that is 90%-93% as effective as the team you'd be starting if your regular guy was NOT on a bye.

***I realize most of the numbers in the above paragraph are extremely subjective and would be more than happy to debate tham with you over in the forums.

But regardless of the ACTUAL scoring power of your team throughout the bye weeks, my point really remains the same. In this day and age of high-performance scoring - point per reception, .1 pts per knats ### of rushing yardage, -1.5 pts per turnover, etc. a more TRUE reflection of our player's contribution to the game is being represented than ever before on the fantasy scoreboard. Often in competitive leagues, weeks are decided by single point scoring differentials. The gap between the haves and have-nots is closing.

So all of this boils down to which would you rather have? A team with one weak link the majority of the season or a "wasted" week that you have virtually no shot shot of winning? Even after everything I've written here, I'm betting there are a healthy number of you who would rather field a "competitive" team each week. The bye week myth is that ingrained into us. I can already hear the argument forming against this article..."Well, all of my opponents are going through the exact same thing as I am - they all have players on bye weeks too!" And that argument is very correct, if you're facing anyone other than me and others like me this year.

As exhibit A, I present to you the bye weeks of my starters in a Masters League that I've recently drafted for this year:

QB1 - Week 5

RB1 - Week 6

RB2 - Week4

WR1 - Week 6

WR2 - Week 5

WR3 - Week 6

TE1 - Week 6

In week 5 I'm not looking real great, in week 6 it's over before kickoff - but in weeks 7, 8, 9 and 10 I don't have a SINGLE starter on a bye and my average competitor will be fielding a team that's spotting me "X" amount of points before the first kickoff is even in the air! I like my chances of recouping the one loss in week 6 I've virtually guaranteed my team over weeks 7-10. And in this league I was fortunate enough to grab Phillip Rivers as my backup QB so I'm not exactly throwing up the white flag for week 5 by any means.

Now let's wrap this thing up with a couple of caveats:

*Am I against taking bye weeks into account for positions where you traditionally only have two players on your roster (Ex: TE and Def)? No. Absolutely you should get a backup with a different bye.

*Did I ignore players with greater value in my draft just so I could grab the lesser player with a week 6 bye? No. Admittedly, I was fortunate to have the above players fall to me in the draft and most of them I would have selected anyway if they had byes in weeks 7-10.

*Am I saying that following traditional bye week advice is a recipe for disaster? No. If you happen to draft a team whose starters are spread out through the week 4-10 byes, fine. Please don't confuse this article for saying that by NOT clustering your player's with similar bye weeks your fantasy season is a disaster in the making.

I'm simply saying you cannot avoid bye weeks. EVERY player on your roster has to take his turn. And it's not a disaster if half of your starters are on a bye in week six. Your team will only be that much stronger through the remainder of the bye week blues - so turn that frown upside down bunky! As always, thanks for taking the time with me and feel free to gimme an ear full over in the forums if you disagree!

Fenster said:

NEVER do I let one week's games stop me from drafting someone I like..

FantasyTrader said:
I wrote an article about this earlier in the offseason - here it is for what it's worth to ya'.Debunking the Myth of the Bye Week Blues17 Jun 2007 I'm simply saying you cannot avoid bye weeks. EVERY player on your roster has to take his turn. And it's not a disaster if half of your starters are on a bye in week six. Your team will only be that much stronger through the remainder of the bye week blues - so turn that frown upside down bunky! As always, thanks for taking the time with me and feel free to gimme an ear full over in the forums if you disagree!
All good stuff, if a bit wordy. The abbreviated version is just don't worry about bye weeks too much either way. Most importantly, don't draft lesser players in an effort to "spread out" expected bye week dropoffs as you penalize your team all season long for a slight increase during a series of bye weeks. Yet, in a similar fashion don't go out of your way to get many players aligned on the same bye week for the same reason.The simplest of all advice is to draft your starters at every position, and possibly the top backup, based on season-long expectation. Then use the final draft picks and waiver wire moves throughout the season to address byes.To the original post, on average, Week 6 will be just as hurtful to your opposition as it is to you. Consider the reverse situation: put the four worst offenses on byes at the same time. You may think your team looks strong as no starter is affected by a bye; of course, the same is likely of your opponent.

wdcrob said:
Sure makes things harder in the Subscriber Contest.
Exactly. If you have to eat week 6 in a head-to-head league, it's not too bad. If one is not careful in the subscriber contest, there could be no week 7.

wdcrob said:
Sure makes things harder in the Subscriber Contest.
Exactly. If you have to eat week 6 in a head-to-head league, it's not too bad. If one is not careful in the subscriber contest, there could be no week 7.
Very true, but if you choose less value in order to survive the byes, when the final few weeks come, you will have a lesser chance of finishing in the top bracket of the finalists.Yes, you have to still be playing in order to win, but sometimes to finish high in contests like this, you have to play a calculated risk. As this is Week 6 -- and not Week 10 when the field is much further reduced -- there figure to be many more marginal teams still in the contest.

Users who are viewing this thread