What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s a good timeframe to let your company know you intend to retire? (2 Viewers)

Your attitude is on par with local and federal “guberment” employees and exhibits why they are the worst and serves a microcosm of the poor health that many of our institutions are in.

It’s an embarrassment.
While certainly true for some, the feds I work among are much better than this.

I think/hope this is just a miscommunication on where the two angles are coming from.

ABSOLUTELY be aware of/secure in what you're eligible for on the date you choose to retire. Retire confident in the fact that you're leaving with what you're comfortable with.

Absolutely do NOT feel obligated, in any way, to "help" your organisation. When push comes to shove, they'd lay you off with zero hesitation. They'd fire you without hesitation.
None. Never bend over backwards for them. You provide more to them than they provide you.

Now, the amount of "guilt" you feel for bailing on your co-workers is another story. But again, your company will survive without you. As will they. And there are many ways to give them a heads-up "off the record" if they're your actual friends.

But yes, I think it always went without saying that you need to be aware of your eligibilities before you bail... The rest (esp owing your company some kindness) is not and will never be part of my world. Give them the amount of notice YOU are comfortable with.

Signed,
Former Federal, Provincial and Local government employee

Your attitude is on par with local and federal “guberment” employees and exhibits why they are the worst and serves a microcosm of the poor health that many of our institutions are in.

It’s an embarrassment.

The quality of my work, my work ethic and relationship w the public has never once in my career been a problem. Ever. I always completed my work to the best of my ability and was recognized by several community agencies and supports for my work.

You seem to think I owe my employer that same dedication on the way out the door.

The relationship between my employer and I is simple. I provide the services you expect from my position and you will compensate me correctly for it. The relationship has never and will never go any further than that.

To expect me to bend over backwards on my way out the door to retirement is ludicrous.

Advice given by a Senior VP at his retirement party after he had a couple cocktails
  • Everyone is replaceable
  • The company doesn't care about you

That being said, OP... I think you should ask your employer when THEY think is a good time for you to retire.

Prove your unwavering and undying dedication to them. Retirement can wait til your dead.

Seems like there's 4 factors here and some are only focusing on 1 or 2 of them:
  1. Several companies have retirement policies that may impact you - you should determine what, if any, those are and do the needful
  2. Your company in the vast majority of cases doesn't care about you and will let you go at a moment's notice. You don't owe them anything.
  3. You have a boss and co-worker, most likely and I'm assuming you don't want to burn bridges and be seen as a ******* on your way out the door. You also wouldn't want to be in a position to need something from a company that you "screwed".
  4. Your own personal situation - maybe you are dying, maybe you just want to be done and walk out and you don't care about any implications of leaving.
Essentially all 4 of these things have nothing to do with each other. If I were ranking their priority, I would go 1, 4, 3, 2.

Seems like there's 4 factors here and some are only focusing on 1 or 2 of them:
  1. Several companies have retirement policies that may impact you - you should determine what, if any, those are and do the needful
  2. Your company in the vast majority of cases doesn't care about you and will let you go at a moment's notice. You don't owe them anything.
  3. You have a boss and co-worker, most likely and I'm assuming you don't want to burn bridges and be seen as a ******* on your way out the door. You also wouldn't want to be in a position to need something from a company that you "screwed".
  4. Your own personal situation - maybe you are dying, maybe you just want to be done and walk out and you don't care about any implications of leaving.
Essentially all 4 of these things have nothing to do with each other. If I were ranking their priority, I would go 1, 4, 3, 2.
For #2, while that may be the case, at least in my industry, you almost always get a severance package. I don't think a company is required to do that, but they do it more as a kind gesture to indicate that while you're no longer needed, its not through your own doing and here's something to help you transition.

My company offers separtaion packages every couple of years - ranging from extended benefits or a partial retirement transition period. I hope to be in a position where I can look at an age range and then be flexible enough to take advantage of the programs being offered. I don't see a scenario where I don't let my team/boss know with less than 2 months - most likely 4-6 months. I like my job, my coworkers, and my industry. I don't know why I would not give notice if I was able to.

I'd give notice too. 2 weeks. Maybe a month if I liked my manager.

But I don't need to dwell on any of it. It would never once cross my mind that I owe anyone (or any employer) more time than usual.

Which goes to my original point. Give as much notice as you feel like you want to give.

Put me in the camp of providing the organization with plenty of notice. I live in a small town and will continue to see the people I now work with in other settings later - I want to remain on good terms. 3-6 months seems about right, but I guess it depends upon the nature of the job. I also look forward to the unsufferable "short timer" comments, which may necessitate a shorter time frame.

Hold on a minute here...

Are some of you REALLY suggesting it depends on your situation and there isn't one right answer?
Absolutely.
Some places have a policy, some don't.
Some people hate everyone they see every day, some don't.
Some jobs are complete 180 different than others where if you retire today nothing changes, or it could ruin a business.

If you absolutely don't care, then sure, there's only one answer, but even that has to go along with the company policy to some degree.

As a nurse I could retire tomorrow and it doesn't affect the business at all. However, I may not receive any of my retirement pension or whatever else right away, and could lose other benefits for not following the policy.

It would also ruin any chance I have to come back and work PRN in the future if I wanted to.

I really don't get the vitriol of some of these responses. While the company will let you go "without warning" you typically can see the writing on the walls when it is going to come down. And while you may not owe anything to the company there is the doing the right thing aspect if you are in a cordial situation.

The screw the company because they'll screw you mantra seems like a jaded way to live life. Assuming everything is on the up and up and a decent environment then I think you should be cognizant of the people you are leaving and try and help as much as you can. Not to the point that you are damaged in some way but at least be a good human.

I really don't get the vitriol of some of these responses. While the company will let you go "without warning" you typically can see the writing on the walls when it is going to come down. And while you may not owe anything to the company there is the doing the right thing aspect if you are in a cordial situation.

The screw the company because they'll screw you mantra seems like a jaded way to live life. Assuming everything is on the up and up and a decent environment then I think you should be cognizant of the people you are leaving and try and help as much as you can. Not to the point that you are damaged in some way but at least be a good human.
Some places, mine being one, they make a deal out of say they care for us the lesser beings of the office but their actions tell a different story and it is clear the uppers care about their bottom line waaay more than they care about who they cut a check to.

A few of us are not blind to this business being just that, a business. We are not a family and we are not buddies, I work they pay. That's the relationship.

Some places, mine being one, they make a deal out of say they care for us the lesser beings of the office but their actions tell a different story and it is clear the uppers care about their bottom line waaay more than they care about who they cut a check to.

A few of us are not blind to this business being just that, a business. We are not a family and we are not buddies, I work they pay. That's the relationship.
Sure. But none of that means you have to make things tough on them on your way out. I guess being a good human to me is doing the right thing. It doesn't hurt me in any way to be cordial and helpful on the way out even if the business doesn't care. The people there are still people so why make things more difficult on them than they need to be?

That was kind of my point. People being mad at the "business" because they care about the bottom line to the point they have the mindset of "screw the business" on your way out because they don't care about me still has an affect on the people still there. Even if they aren't family I really don't understand the negativity.

For me it's the charade they put in place that they do care when it truly is a front that irks. Piss on me and tell me it's raining.

My company will know I’m gone when they smell burnt popcorn (I mean really burnt) and hot fish (probably salmon) emanating from the two break room microwaves if/when I ever set foot in my office. It’s a subtle nod, but effective.

My company will know I’m gone when they smell burnt popcorn (I mean really burnt) and hot fish (probably salmon) emanating from the two break room microwaves if/when I ever set foot in my office. It’s a subtle nod, but effective.
Upper decker doesn't get the point across?

Dont forget to leave some poop in the ceiling!

While the company will let you go "without warning" you typically can see the writing on the walls when it is going to come down.
Nope. I work for a large Fortune 100 company and the layoffs (RIFs) often come out of the blue. Stock price doing great, doesn't matter. Billions in the bank, doesn't matter. Everyone stretched thin, doesn't matter. I've been through years and years of layoffs, good people let go for nothing more than increasing stock price so I owe them nothing really. Now if we're talking about those directly around us, our direct coworkers and immediate management, sure I will take them into consideration. We had a guy who just walked out one day, said he couldn't take it anymore and left. I was out on medical which made things worse. Two years later his replacement is almost up to speed, and nowhere near being able to replace me. I'm not about to give 2 years notice but I will do my best to give ample warning.

Nope. I work for a large Fortune 100 company and the layoffs (RIFs) often come out of the blue.
I did say typically. I know there can be situations or certain companies that worry about end of quarter stock prices etc that will do these types of things but you generally know that this is a risk of that type of work so it's not truly unexpected and you know it can happen any time.

For those of you willing to give a notice, good on you. But be prepared for them to walk you out the day you give notice. Happens all the time in the aerospace industry depending on what you know and where you might go. Everywhere I have been, I have been able to work my notice, but I still start cleaning out my office a week before I give notice. Actually, been with my current company for 10 years this week, and keep it pretty sparse in my office. Could sneak out with nothing more than what would fit in my backpack.

For those of you willing to give a notice, good on you. But be prepared for them to walk you out the day you give notice. Happens all the time in the aerospace industry depending on what you know and where you might go. Everywhere I have been, I have been able to work my notice, but I still start cleaning out my office a week before I give notice. Actually, been with my current company for 10 years this week, and keep it pretty sparse in my office. Could sneak out with nothing more than what would fit in my backpack.
That seems more quitting for another job than retiring though. :shrug: And I know for certain more notice will be appreciated, and honestly needed, when I go.

That seems more quitting for another job than retiring though. :shrug: And I know for certain more notice will be appreciated, and honestly needed, when I go.
Again, in my experience, retirees tend to become consultants, and the company does not want to take the chance of an insider data threat. Most insider theft occurs 30 days before someone leaves. Now you could do it before you give notice, but a lot of companies don't leave anything to chance.

Advice given by a Senior VP at his retirement party after he had a couple cocktails
I have been in to auto business my whole career. If you think you are irreplaceable you're not. Seen suppliers dump loyal employees who have 15-20 years in, seen Big 3 do the same.

Unless you work for a small family company that actually cares about or you are invested in worry about yourself because you will be replaced in a day.

Again, in my experience, retirees tend to become consultants, and the company does not want to take the chance of an insider data threat. Most insider theft occurs 30 days before someone leaves. Now you could do it before you give notice, but a lot of companies don't leave anything to chance.
And that's fine and understood, but I'm talking about legit retiring which is what I assume most here are talking about. Not "retiring" but getting the gold watch and a party retiring.

I’m planning on retiring May 31st. Was thinking 90 days was a decent timeframe.
If I was just a CAD Jockey 1-2 months would be fine but I’m the admin so I think more time is better. I believe that guy who should replace me is already there and I’ll push for him but that’s obviously not my choice.
I realize I’m at 89 days now and thinking I should tell them on Monday.

Thoughts?
Congrats on retiring Mr Pack
Whatever your decision enjoy your last days in this company
Don't know what your plans are but I hope you don't just plan on sitting around the house, you'll go crazy
Thank you. Been thinking a lot about this lately. Honestly it is kind of scary. I am cleared to drive Uber and I applied at a golf course. I know I need to stay busy.

I have been in to auto business my whole career. If you think you are irreplaceable you're not. Seen suppliers dump loyal employees who have 15-20 years in, seen Big 3 do the same.

Unless you work for a small family company that actually cares about or you are invested in worry about yourself because you will be replaced in a day.
Sorry about the automotive career. After 22 years, I don’t think normal society will take me back.

The disregard for the “company” is fine imo. But if we know we’re making the choice of putting more work on the backs of our co-workers vs having our replacement in place when we leave, it’s an easy choice imo.
Not every place works the same of course, but my predecessor gave 3 months notice, they brought me over from another office to learn his job while he was working part time. I was probably getting the job anyway but that made it a lock. If I can do the same, train my successor while working half as hard for a while? That’s a total win.
Interesting. I’d have thought the person who gives notice is less likely to steal data than the person who says “screw this company”.

Interesting. I’d have thought the person who gives notice is less likely to steal data than the person who says “screw this company”.

It's less about measuring the honesty of the person, and more the knowledge of someone going from "employee not leaving" to "employee leaving, what can they take". I have seen the nicest people not allowed to work their notice because they are connected to Lockheed or Boeing or Sikorsky Helicopter and the company doesn't want a risk of data getting out.

They never seem to think about the fact that if they were that kind of person, they would have done it weeks prior to giving notice.

And yes, I do know this thread is about mainly those in good standing that are riding off into the sunset, I would just be careful giving three to six months if you aren't prepared to not work that time, regardless of future plans.

And yes, I do know this thread is about mainly those in good standing that are riding off into the sunset, I would just be careful giving three to six months if you aren't prepared to not work that time, regardless of future plans.

On this note, what's to stop the company from saying "we can save ourselves $X if we dump this guy before he reaches X date for retirement" when you decide to give 6mos notice?
Yes, you can say the law, but what's to stop them from finding a reason, valid or not? Dragging the process through legal avenues for years and years....

You can crap on me for thinking that way, but mega corps do not care. You can call me jaded, but I've seen more folks get screwed by their employers than you can imagine. In countless ways.

Protect yourself first. When you think about others (when it comes to the workforce) it's usually you that gets the short end.

Yes, you can say the law, but what's to stop them from finding a reason, valid or not?
At-will employment; they don't need a reason. Later tater.

Firing someone for the purposes of denying them retirement benefits (e.g., prior to an approaching vesting date) is actually against the law in many instances.
Well sure, but not many places offer retirement benefits. And I took soufly's post to mean the company ("mega-corps") would save $x amount in salary. But yes, firing someone to cut them short of a pension or retiree medical, etc would be a huge no-no.

I’m planning on retiring May 31st. Was thinking 90 days was a decent timeframe.
If I was just a CAD Jockey 1-2 months would be fine but I’m the admin so I think more time is better. I believe that guy who should replace me is already there and I’ll push for him but that’s obviously not my choice.
I realize I’m at 89 days now and thinking I should tell them on Monday.

Thoughts?
Congrats on retiring Mr Pack
Whatever your decision enjoy your last days in this company
Don't know what your plans are but I hope you don't just plan on sitting around the house, you'll go crazy
Thank you. Been thinking a lot about this lately. Honestly it is kind of scary. I am cleared to drive Uber and I applied at a golf course. I know I need to stay busy.
I think that's great, the best thing is do something you enjoy and just stay active.
Golf course sounds fun, don't overlook tennis courts and tennis facilities, it's hard to find good help at these front desks and you don't have to play tennis to work at them.

I think the key is to be the best advocate for yourself as much as possible. Do your research, find out what your company/benefits policy are for retirement and evaluate if those things are of major value to you. If they are—I would comply with the policies. If they are not— I would recommend doing what you feel is best for you. You are looking at retiring—so it’s not like leaving for a positive letter of recommendation or reference means a whole lot. You’ve most likely structured your life around your work schedule and employer for years. The most valuable commodity that any of us have is our time. Regardless of how much you have gotten paid for your work—your company has gotten the better end of the deal—as you make them more money than they pay you—and you’ve dedicated a lot of time to them. With that said, I would probably say that 3 months is polite and reasonable. I think giving notice for longer than that is being very generous. That’s just my opinion though.

I dedicated 28 years of my life to a small business. I literally expanded the business to 10-20x what the business was doing in my time there. The owner would maybe come into work 9 hours a week for the first 25 years I worked there—while I was putting in 50-70 hours a week while getting paid for 40 hours. Didn’t get lunch breaks, and in those 28 years, I maybe took a total of 25-30 sick days. I almost died for the business when we were hit by a violent smash and grab robbery and I was on the sales floor when it happened. The perpetrators saw me subtly try to hit the panic button and at that moment, I thought I was going to get killed. After dedicating that many years, after transforming a sputtering business to one that was crazy busy, after having my life risked for the business—-the owner informed me through a letter in the mail that she had been trying to sell the business for 2 years and that she was not going to extend the lease in a few months—and that if I wanted to work there until the last day that I would have to sign a document committing to work 6-7 10 hour days a week, and accept a 70% cut in my commission. Do not kid yourself. Big business or small business— your employer doesn’t care about YOU—they care about what YOU can do for the THEM. The moment that you let them know that you are transitioning from putting THEM first to putting YOU first—there is some risk involved. It doesn’t matter if it is a small business or a big business.

Last edited:

Sorry about the automotive career. After 22 years, I don’t think normal society will take me back.

I dedicated 28 years of my life to a small business. I literally expanded the business to 10-20x what the business was doing in my time there. The owner would maybe come into work 9 hours a week for the first 25 years I worked there—while I was putting in 50-70 hours a week while getting paid for 40 hours. Didn’t get lunch breaks, and in those 28 years, I maybe took a total of 25-30 sick days. I almost died for the business when we were hit by a violent smash and grab robbery and I was on the sales floor when it happened. The perpetrators saw me subtly try to hit the panic button and and that moment, I thought I was going to get killed. After dedicating that many years, after transforming a sputtering business to one that was crazy busy, after having my life risked for the business—-the owner informed me through a letter in the mail that she had been trying to sell the business for 2 years and that she was not going to extend the lease in a few months—and that if I wanted to work there until the last day that I would have to sign a document committing to work 6-7 10 hour days a week, and accept a 70% cut in my commission. Do not kid yourself. Big business or small business— your employer doesn’t care about YOU—they care about what YOU can do for the THEM. The moment that you let them know that you are transitioning from putting THEM first to putting YOU first—there is some risk involved. It doesn’t matter if it is a small business or a big business.

Very true..I did say if "they cared" Sad that yours did not.

After 20 years at Ford first working with dealers and then in purchasing. I was making good money but working and traveling too much. My kids were grwoing up and they did not care if I was on the road 3-4 days a week of going to Japan or Europe for 10 days at a time.

Took me a year to line things up but went on my own working for 3 suppliers I used to buy from. Then I used my contacts at Ford, Toyota and GM to buy from me. First year I made 30% more and worked 30% less. Last 7-8 years I never work a Friday and no appointments until after 12 noon on Monday. Extends the weekend.

I know a couple people who have been taken care of by a small business, but again that is rare.

This gave me pause, and I haven't given notice yet. I don't think they would, but we are extremely slow right now and so I decided to give 3-4 weeks. The handbook days minimum 10 days to not lose your prorated vacation.

Users who are viewing this thread