What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What’s a good timeframe to let your company know you intend to retire? (1 Viewer)

Mr.Pack

Footballguy
I’m planning on retiring May 31st. Was thinking 90 days was a decent timeframe.
If I was just a CAD Jockey 1-2 months would be fine but I’m the admin so I think more time is better. I believe that guy who should replace me is already there and I’ll push for him but that’s obviously not my choice.
I realize I’m at 89 days now and thinking I should tell them on Monday.

Thoughts?

First and most important, I’d check the company policy as I think some places requires a certain amount of time to ensure you get all your benefits. Beyond that, I would do 3-6 months - so you are in line with that.

Congrats and good luck!

I always envisioned myself being in a meeting where some upper management type was giving me some attitude and me just casually saying "I think I'm gonna retire now", just getting up, packing my belongings and walking out the building. Not being in person does take away some of that flair for the dramatic and then there's the whole having to return my laptop now as well.

I always envisioned myself being in a meeting where some upper management type was giving me some attitude and me just casually saying "I think I'm gonna retire now", just getting up, packing my belongings and walking out the building. Not being in person does take away some of that flair for the dramatic and then there's the whole having to return my laptop now as well.
That's basically what I did. It was April 15th and it was GLORIOUS.

I had an original date of 3/1/24 picked as my date. When I met with my PERA rep, ,they ran some numbers and the amount I would be getting from my pension to stay until that date was so small, I decided to retire back in August of last year. I gave my supervisor a 120 day notice because her and I were close and I didn't want to blindside her.

If a senior position and you know they won't let you go, it could be 3-6 months. But protect yourself first.
Not senior but I’m pretty sure they won’t let me go as no one can really do my job right now, however we are really slow right now so you do give me a little pause for concern there.

Depends if you’re easily replaceable, the size of of company and how much you want to help them / screw them over. Also if you’re fully retiring or are pursuing something else later.

Part of my job is working with retiring people. Some tell their boss a year out. Others tell a couple weeks out. The senior leaders tell closer to a year out. A key here, none of them would be fired before their retirement date. Also, our “company” is huge and hiring takes way too long.

It was already mentioned, but definitely check the company policy.

Initially my retirement will be semi-retirement and my current plan would be to offer 3-4 weeks and be available for consulting either on a 1099 or Corp-to-Corp.

but definitely check the company policy.

Policy on when you can retire? :lol:

As long as you know what you are/aren't eligible for (and are ok with it), leave and give as much/little notice as you want. They profited off of you, not the other way around.

Not sure why you are laughing - that’s the whole point of the policy. And then you basically go and say the same exact thing. Nobody is telling him not to retire but he’d be stupid not to check the HR rules to understand what they have to say about it.

As long as you know what you are/aren't eligible for (and are ok with it), leave and give as much/little notice as you want. They profited off of you, not the other way around.

Not sure why you are laughing - that’s the whole point of the policy. And then you basically go and say the same exact thing. Nobody is telling him not to retire but he’d be stupid not to check the HR rules to understand what they have to say about it.

To check the HR rules about what? HR is there to protect the company, not you. Don't be fooled.

He needs to back door speak to social security/his pension provider etc. All he needs to tell HR is arrivederci on _________

This of course, assuming there is no union. If unionized, speak only with them.

To check the HR rules about what? HR is there to protect the company, not you. Don't be fooled.

He needs to back door speak to social security/his pension provider etc. All he needs to tell HR is arrivederci on _________

Some companies have rules on notice, getting paid leave, pensions, etc. You choosing to not follow rules is up to you. If you miss out on benefits by not following the policy, don’t ***** later.

Some of us actually like our co workers and supervisors. We don’t want to put them in a bind. If you just say F you to all of them :shrug:

This is really bad advice and I hope he doesn’t listen to you.

Some people around here give a year. Usually it's 6 months. We have to submit official retirement paperwork so we can get our pension calculated and all that stuff

Any chance the company is going to offer retirement incentives in that timeframe? If that's something that your company does periodically, it would be worth delaying to try to hold out for that.

It's actually great advice. I spent many years in the union office. HR/management is not your friend.

It's actually great advice. I spent many years in the union office. HR/management is not your friend.

That’s not the part I’m talking about - several people have pointed out that some companies have rules around retirement. He needs to check on what those are and not assume or listen to someone here advising him not to.

Any chance the company is going to offer retirement incentives in that timeframe? If that's something that your company does periodically, it would be worth delaying to try to hold out for that.
That's the perfect scenario. Or at the leadt try to get yourself fired and collect unemployment benefits for 6 month. :)

. I spent many years in the union office. HR/management is not your friend
Most of us aren’t suggesting where to check. Could be with the union, could be just reading the policy.
Some of you are way too contentious about this, which makes one wonder how you manage day to day in what must be such toxic environments.

Most of us aren’t suggesting where to check. Could be with the union, could be just reading the policy.
Some of you are way too contentious about this, which makes one wonder how you manage day to day in what must be such toxic environments.
It's America man. As toxic as anything out there.

It's America man. As toxic as anything out there.
Sorry to hear that.
I’m in a very American “company”, and it’s not toxic at all.

I've only been here 4 yrs. There is no pension.

I've only been here 4 yrs. There is no pension.

If there’s no implication to your benefits and they wouldn’t fire you then do whatever you think is best. I think 3-6 months is standard but I wouldn’t blame you for less time if you are wanting to start your retirement sooner.

My firm, smallish, doesnt give a rip about me and I do not get a pension;I have a 401k and ss that will keep me going. When I quit it will be 2 weeks notice...maybe.

Why people allow themselves to feel obligated to the "Machine" I will never understand. I have witnessed senior partners die unexpected and the firm survived. People leave, people come, people are forgotten. Your tombstone won't be emblazoned with the company logo for all eternity but your family, hopefully, will remember you for at least a generation or two.

But I am professional!!

Good, let that dictate your well being when you are an after thought at acme when your replacement is doing your job and handling the heat of responsibility that you carried for however many years. It's time for you to live for you.

The advice to check your company policies is critical. I had a coworker that retired at the beginning of this year. He originally planned to retire just before Thanksgiving, but after reviewing the available benefits with HR and his own advisor, he decided to wait until after his birthday as that combination of age and years of service meant that he received a very significant increase in the amount of his retiree medical coverage that the company paid for, something that is worth several hundred dollars per month for the rest of his life.

But sure, he could have stuck it to the man and just retired earlier without checking on the various policies and benefits available.

Why people allow themselves to feel obligated to the "Machine" I will never understand. I have witnessed senior partners die unexpected and the firm survived. People leave, people come, people are forgotten. Your tombstone won't be emblazoned with the company logo for all eternity but your family, hopefully, will remember you for at least a generation or two.
:shrug: It’s not about “the machine”. It’s about whether you give a **** about your co-workers.
If you’re unable to find an appropriate balance while working, that’s sad. But has nothing to do with how you leave.

But I am professional!!

Good, let that dictate your well being when you are an after thought at acme when your replacement is doing your job and handling the heat of responsibility that you carried for however many years. It's time for you to live for you.
For some of us, work doesn’t define us but we like what we do and we like the people we work with. The company will be just fine without me, no question about it. But why not make life just a little easier for my team so my boss can find my replacement faster?

Retiree medical, pension. These are things most employers don't offer/most workers don't get. Other than a "generous" separation package if a RIF comes there's no reason for most to wait or give a long term notice of retirement.

I'll probably give plenty of notice, only because my manager is a nice person. I don't owe the corporation that though. I owe them the exact amount of notice they gave all the people they laid off recently, nothing.

Last edited:
Retiree medical, pension. These are things must employers don't offer/most workers don't get. Other than a "generous" separation package if a RIF comes there's no reason for most to wait or give a long term notice of retirement.

I'll probably give plenty of notice, only because my manager is a nice person. I don't owe the corporation that though. I owe them the exact amount of notice they gave all the people they laid off recently, nothing.

I think/hope this is just a miscommunication on where the two angles are coming from.

ABSOLUTELY be aware of/secure in what you're eligible for on the date you choose to retire. Retire confident in the fact that you're leaving with what you're comfortable with.

Absolutely do NOT feel obligated, in any way, to "help" your organisation. When push comes to shove, they'd lay you off with zero hesitation. They'd fire you without hesitation.
None. Never bend over backwards for them. You provide more to them than they provide you.

Now, the amount of "guilt" you feel for bailing on your co-workers is another story. But again, your company will survive without you. As will they. And there are many ways to give them a heads-up "off the record" if they're your actual friends.

But yes, I think it always went without saying that you need to be aware of your eligibilities before you bail... The rest (esp owing your company some kindness) is not and will never be part of my world. Give them the amount of notice YOU are comfortable with.

Signed,
Former Federal, Provincial and Local government employee

I gave 6 months
And then they fired you?
Fired?.... where did you come up with that ?....I was 62....I gave them 6 months notice....I trained 2 guys to take my place...one for my area in SoCal and one for Hawaii.....no animosity .....after 25 years it was the least I could do.....
your username

Hahahahahaha...no ...... username was conceived when Rams finally FIRED Mike Martz....:wink:

LOL..had a friend of mine retire in the middle of a meeting. New boss tookover and was making demands and the guy I knew got up and started walking out. They asked "Where or you going?" Said "To HR..I have decided to retire today"

Already had everything in order in preparation so financially he was ready. Best thing is about a month later the new boss called him and asked if he would return as a contract worker as they needed him.

I’m planning on retiring May 31st. Was thinking 90 days was a decent timeframe.
If I was just a CAD Jockey 1-2 months would be fine but I’m the admin so I think more time is better. I believe that guy who should replace me is already there and I’ll push for him but that’s obviously not my choice.
I realize I’m at 89 days now and thinking I should tell them on Monday.

Thoughts?
Congrats on retiring Mr Pack
Whatever your decision enjoy your last days in this company
Don't know what your plans are but I hope you don't just plan on sitting around the house, you'll go crazy

I think/hope this is just a miscommunication on where the two angles are coming from.

ABSOLUTELY be aware of/secure in what you're eligible for on the date you choose to retire. Retire confident in the fact that you're leaving with what you're comfortable with.

Absolutely do NOT feel obligated, in any way, to "help" your organisation. When push comes to shove, they'd lay you off with zero hesitation. They'd fire you without hesitation.
None. Never bend over backwards for them. You provide more to them than they provide you.

Now, the amount of "guilt" you feel for bailing on your co-workers is another story. But again, your company will survive without you. As will they. And there are many ways to give them a heads-up "off the record" if they're your actual friends.

But yes, I think it always went without saying that you need to be aware of your eligibilities before you bail... The rest (esp owing your company some kindness) is not and will never be part of my world. Give them the amount of notice YOU are comfortable with.

Signed,
Former Federal, Provincial and Local government employee

Your attitude is on par with local and federal “guberment” employees and exhibits why they are the worst and serves a microcosm of the poor health that many of our institutions are in.

It’s an embarrassment.

I'm having a hard time discerning why there is an emphasis on giving such extreme notice on retiring.
When you resign from a position, it is normally to move on to a new job at a new company and it is customary to give two weeks notice so as not to burn any bridges, keep options open for rehiring perhaps one day and receiving a reference and any benefits due.
When you retire from a position, it is normally with the intent on never having to work again, thus the term retirement. Why would you feel the need to give much more notice than a resignation, no matter what the position?
I intend on retiring in a few years. And I understand that certainly no one is irreplaceable, I work in a niche industry and there are only a handful of people I can think of that have my expertise and experience in my field. That's not to say someone cannot learn it, it will just take time. And while I don't necessarily want to leave my company in a bad spot when I retire, I will probably just give the two weeks and mention if they want me to stay on longer in a consulting capacity, I would be open to it for a month or two at $xyz contract rate per hour. But, I mean, I'm going to be retiring ffs. Company is not going to go out of business, it will just be a bit of a pita for them for a few months. I dunno, I like my job, I like my company, but never thought of even entertaining the thought of giving 2, 3, 6 months notice for retirement.

I told them as I was punching out on my last day. 😀 They were jerks.

I had a lawyer to handle the deets after, but I never went back in.
:lmao: **** em!

But yea, you should probably check before you pull the vanishing trick.

One of the better moves I've seen was from a co-worker that had told our boss numerous times over the years he was going to semi-retire to his beach house on the coast. Boss would say give me a heads up before you leave so I can backfill as he was our parts guy for the whole company. He had been working with a guy to train him up on taking over the position for about a year so one Monday during a staff meeting that wasn't particularly interesting or fruitful, old dude stands up, pulls a slip of folded up paper out of his pocket, unfolds it, tosses it at the boss and says you've been notified and walks out. It was a SOLD notice on his house in the city. Solid move and there was no animosity as we all knew it was coming just not when. He literally walked out and we haven't seen him since, left his desk as is, personal pics, everything, just bailed and went to the beach. He still works for us 6 years later.

In my profession and business, obviously as much notice as possible is greatly appreciated so we can plan for the departure well in advance. One of my partners gave us one year's notice which was greatly appreciated (especially by me as her departure meant I was taking over her caseload).

In short, I think the question to your answer is very situation specific, but the philosophical answer is probably, "enough notice to help the company but not too much where it may individually hurt you in some way."

Users who are viewing this thread