What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What 2nd/3rd round players you are targeting? (1 Viewer)

Rounders

Footballguy
Every year we talk at length about first round players, but I don't think we spend enough time on the 2nd and 3rd round players. I feel that these guys are the true players that you can win your league with.

Looking at the FBG top 36 (for 12 team leagues) what players are you guys targeting? Why? What makes them stick out to you?

Here's a couple of mine that I'm taking a closer look at:

Maurice Jones-Drew, JAX - He's the type of player that with full time status can score points in a bunch. I like him a lot this year.

Ryan Grant, GB - I think with Farve's retirement, the Pack will try to run the ball more this year to help out Rodgers.

Andre Johnson, HOU - PPG machine and was on pace to be the #1 WR last year, I'll take that upside in round 2/3

Torry Holt, STL - I think that Holt is very consistent and will continue that for a couple more years, his o-line has me worried though.

Anquan Boldin, ARI - Underappreciated and undervalued. Tends to have monster games and then disappear, but I think if healthy for 16 games he's a reception king.

Marques Colston, NO - I was really down on him last year and he proved me wrong. I lsee him to continue to develop into one of the better young pass catchers in the league and I like Brees this year to throw a ton.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm picking early in round one I'm eyeballing Steve Smith in a big way come round 2. If Delhomme is back to anywhere near 100% for most of the year Smith should outperform a late round 2 pick pretty easy.

Rounders said:
Every year we talk at length about first round players, but I don't think we spend enough time on the 2nd and 3rd round players. I feel that these guys are the true players that you can win your league with. Looking at the FBG top 36 (for 12 team leagues) what players are you guys targeting? Why? What makes them stick out to you?Here's a couple of mine that I'm taking a closer look at:Maurice Jones-Drew, JAX - He's the type of player that with full time status can score points in a bunch. I like him a lot this year.Ryan Grant, GB - I think with Farve's retirement, the Pack will try to run the ball more this year to help out Rodgers.Andre Johnson, HOU - PPG machine and was on pace to be the #1 WR last year, I'll take that upside in round 2/3Torry Holt, STL - I think that Holt is very consistent and will continue that for a couple more years, his o-line has me worried though.Anquan Boldin, ARI - Underappreciated and undervalued. Tends to have monster games and then disappear, but I think if healthy for 16 games he's a reception king.Marques Colston, NO - I was really down on him last year and he proved me wrong. I lsee him to continue to develop into one of the better young pass catchers in the league and I like Brees this year to throw a ton.
MJD: Till Freddy retires or slows down, still RBBCGrant: Was successful because of Brett Favre and the respect his arm commanded. Down year from last year. I could see a sub 4ypc year, and the team has Brandon Jackson in the wings.AJ: Watch the knees in the offseason. If healthy, top fiveHolt: Good but not great value. Too many smart peeps out there.Boldin: :shrug:Colston: :yes:Mine:Ronnie Brown: if healthy will be a best and currently a late second-rounderRudi: Not expecting too much but he's falling too far. Take him as a RB3 with RB1 upsideDMC: If he even comes close to sniffing ADP's rookie jock, great value in the fifthSteve Smith: falling to the third and is ppr gold. Carson Palmer: Falling to late fourth and might get those ints below 15 this year. 22 is an outlier for him.McGahee: If available in late 2nd early 3rd great value

Rounders said:
Every year we talk at length about first round players, but I don't think we spend enough time on the 2nd and 3rd round players. I feel that these guys are the true players that you can win your league with.

Looking at the FBG top 36 (for 12 team leagues) what players are you guys targeting? Why? What makes them stick out to you?

Maurice Jones-Drew, JAX - He's the type of player that with full time status can score points in a bunch. I like him a lot this year.

Ryan Grant, GB - I think with Farve's retirement, the Pack will try to run the ball more this year to help out Rodgers.

Andre Johnson, HOU - PPG machine and was on pace to be the #1 WR last year, I'll take that upside in round 2/3

Torry Holt, STL - I think that Holt is very consistent and will continue that for a couple more years, his o-line has me worried though.

Anquan Boldin, ARI - Underappreciated and undervalued. Tends to have monster games and then disappear, but I think if healthy for 16 games he's a reception king.

Marques Colston, NO - I was really down on him last year and he proved me wrong. I lsee him to continue to develop into one of the better young pass catchers in the league and I like Brees this year to throw a ton.
MJD: Till Freddy retires or slows down, still RBBCGrant: Was successful because of Brett Favre and the respect his arm commanded. Down year from last year. I could see a sub 4ypc year, and the team has Brandon Jackson in the wings.

AJ: Watch the knees in the offseason. If healthy, top five

Holt: Good but not great value. Too many smart peeps out there.

Boldin: :thumbup:

Colston: :thumbup:

Mine:

Ronnie Brown: if healthy will be a best and currently a late second-rounder

Rudi: Not expecting too much but he's falling too far. Take him as a RB3 with RB1 upside

DMC: If he even comes close to sniffing ADP's rookie jock, great value in the fifth

Steve Smith: falling to the third and is ppr gold.

Carson Palmer: Falling to late fourth and might get those ints below 15 this year. 22 is an outlier for him.

McGahee: If available in late 2nd early 3rd great value
Despite being in that RBBC, MJD still finished 8th and 13th in the last two years. If you can get him in the 2nd, its a great value if he even equalls his yearly average. My guess is he exceeds his numbers from either of his first two years.No way Mcfadden makes it to the 5th round of any draft that has more than 6 teams.

for me its

Maroney- i see big things for him this year and he is sliding into the 3rd.

T.Romo- 2nd round gem if he is still there.

A top WR- If Romo is gone.

Rounders said:

MJD: Till Freddy retires or slows down, still RBBCGrant: Was successful because of Brett Favre and the respect his arm commanded. Down year from last year. I could see a sub 4ypc year, and the team has Brandon Jackson in the wings.

Boldin: :goodposting:

Colston: :yes:

Mine:

Rudi: Not expecting too much but he's falling too far. Take him as a RB3 with RB1 upside

DMC: If he even comes close to sniffing ADP's rookie jock, great value in the fifth

Carson Palmer: Falling to late fourth and might get those ints below 15 this year. 22 is an outlier for him.

Despite being in that RBBC, MJD still finished 8th and 13th in the last two years. If you can get him in the 2nd, its a great value if he even equalls his yearly average. My guess is he exceeds his numbers from either of his first two years.No way Mcfadden makes it to the 5th round of any draft that has more than 6 teams.
1175 total and 9 TDs? Under 800 yards rushing? Sorry, I look for more than that from a second round back. Until he owns the top spot, he's terrible value for the second round.McFadden's ADP is 4.07

http://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.p...s=12&pos=rb

If you can get Romo in the 3rd round that would be a steal.

( I guess I should preface by saying I haven't checked any ADP data so may be off a bit on some of my guesses here)

I think you can get solid RBs in the 4th and 5th rounds this year so filling out the QB and top 2 WR spots in RDs 2-4 could pay off huge.

I'm also on board with a big Steve Smith bounce back season. Top 3 is my expectation.

Would love to get a top 5 pick and have my draft board look something like:

1.3: Addai

2.10 S. Smith

3.3 Romo

4.10 Burress

5.3 T. Jones

6.10 F. Taylor

7.3 Gonzo

something like this would be pretty solid IMO.

Carson Palmer, Marques Colston, and MJD. Those are a must haves for me in 2nd and 3rd rounds. I just think this is going to be MJD's year. I think this is the year that Fred Taylor settles down a bit and gets lesser carries. Let me also add Reggie Wayne to the list of must haves as well.

Carson Palmer, Marques Colston, and MJD. Those are a must haves for me in 2nd and 3rd rounds. I just think this is going to be MJD's year. I think this is the year that Fred Taylor settles down a bit and gets lesser carries. Let me also add Reggie Wayne to the list of must haves as well.
Is it 2007? Where am I?Just like Galloway, Taylor seems to be becoming one of those ageless outliers in the NFL. Last season he saw his best ypc of his career. Having MJD to take some of the load off seems to have really rejuvenated him. I would count on 200+ carries and 1k+ yards yet again. Taylor represents monstrous value. 7th round ADP coming off a 1200-yard season. Ridicified.

sholditch said:

Boldin: :mellow:

Colston: :shrug:

Mine:

1175 total and 9 TDs? Under 800 yards rushing? Sorry, I look for more than that from a second round back. Until he owns the top spot, he's terrible value for the second round.McFadden's ADP is 4.07

What RB are you looking to get in the 2nd round that put up better numbers than that?

McGahee (2)

Jamal Lewis (3)

Michael Turner (4)

Fred Taylor (7)

sholditch said:

Boldin: :excited:

Colston: :goodposting:

Mine:

What RB are you looking to get in the 2nd round that put up better numbers than that?
Thomas Jones - NYJ

sholditch said:

Boldin: :rolleyes:

Colston: :yes:

Mine:

Thomas Jones - NYJ
1300 total yards and 2 TD's is better than 1200 yards and 9 TD's? :kicksrock:

I just think that once again people are discounting the impact of Taylor on the kid's opportunities, primarily because people are looking at his age and not his career-high ypc. Taylor is obviously thriving in a two back system, and frankly, after looking at MJD's game logs, if I need a runner on 3rd and 3, I'm putting Taylor in. It's a fantastic Thunder/Lightning game that delivered the Jags one of the best running attacks in the league, and I seriously doubt they deviate from that much just to give MJD more carries. They are a legit plyoff contender and a possible superbowl team, and I think this will be another great year for Fred and MJD. It's just that in the second round I want someone with more than just homerun potential (which MJD has). I want someone I know can get me a baseline of 10 fppg, and MJD fell short of that mark several times last year.

I just think that once again people are discounting the impact of Taylor on the kid's opportunities, primarily because people are looking at his age and not his Icareer-high ypc. Taylor is obviously thriving in a two back system, and frankly, after looking at MJD's game logs, if need a runner on 3rd and 3, I'm putting Taylor in. It's a fantastic Thunder/Lightning game that delivered the Jags one of the best running attacks in the league, and I seriously doubt they deviate from that much just to give MJD more carries. They are a legit plyoff contender and a possible superbowl team, and I think this will be another great year for Fred and MJD. It's just that in the second round I want someone with more than just homerun potential (which MJD has). I want someone I know can get me a baseline of 10 fppg, and MJD fell short of that mark several times last year.
Lost me here

Edge is a great 3rd round - or dare I wait until the 4th round - steal.

Peyton Manning is good value this year, perhaps for the first time he isn't being drafted too early. Brees is another QB I think can be had too late, middle of the 4th in most leagues.

I pick 3rd in one of my leagues and will probably take Jackson or Westbrook. Coming back in the second I hope to pick up Tony Romo and then J. Lewis on the way back in the 3rd.

Boldin: :popcorn:

Colston: :)

Mine:

Thomas Jones - NYJ
Let me preface this by saying: I am a huge Jets fan, and big believer that TJ is in for a big year.Let me now say that if you take TJ in the second, there is something seriously wrong. Late 4th, sure. But second?? MJD really seems to be the guy that could win people some games from those spots.

I just think that once again people are discounting the impact of Taylor on the kid's opportunities, primarily because people are looking at his age and not his Icareer-high ypc. Taylor is obviously thriving in a two back system, and frankly, after looking at MJD's game logs, if need a runner on 3rd and 3, I'm putting Taylor in. It's a fantastic Thunder/Lightning game that delivered the Jags one of the best running attacks in the league, and I seriously doubt they deviate from that much just to give MJD more carries. They are a legit plyoff contender and a possible superbowl team, and I think this will be another great year for Fred and MJD. It's just that in the second round I want someone with more than just homerun potential (which MJD has). I want someone I know can get me a baseline of 10 fppg, and MJD fell short of that mark several times last year.
Lost me here
MJD's high ypc (4.7) is due to the fact that he is not a bellcow, and hits long runs often. Lower number of carries let's the average be more inflated than it would if he were carrying 20+ per game. Fred is a veteran back who has proven himself between the tackles, and actually had a 5.0 ypc last year. I just think if I think the defense has basically guessed the play, I trust the bigger, workhorse veteran to get me the tough three yards. If I wanted to trick the defense, I'd have MJD run to the sidelines and fake the FB up the middle.

Lost me here
MJD's high ypc (4.7) is due to the fact that he is not a bellcow, and hits long runs often. Lower number of carries let's the average be more inflated than it would if he were carrying 20+ per game. Fred is a veteran back who has proven himself between the tackles, and actually had a 5.0 ypc last year. I just think if I think the defense has basically guessed the play, I trust the bigger, workhorse veteran to get me the tough three yards. If I wanted to trick the defense, I'd have MJD run to the sidelines and fake the FB up the middle.
I dont think many would agree that Taylor should be the back to have in there on 3rd and 3.

Users who are viewing this thread