What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What constitutes a trade? (1 Viewer)

In a trade, do both parties need to send assets (player or picks)?

• Yes, both teams should send either a player or a pick to constitute a trade

Votes: 61 65.6%
  • No, one team could send nothing in a trade and receive a player and/or pick

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • It needs to be determined on a case by case basis?

Votes: 7 7.5%

• Total voters
If the first post was meant to mislead the voters to vote his way then sure, kudos to him, but the first post wasn't really that complicated or really even misleading.

He didn't provide much info, but the basics of it were covered as soon as he mentioned "salary cap league".

I guess if people had questions they could ask them before actually voting. Though that isn't FBG style I guess.

If the first post was meant to mislead the voters to vote his way then sure, kudos to him, but the first post wasn't really that complicated or really even misleading.

He didn't provide much info, but the basics of it were covered as soon as he mentioned "salary cap league".

I guess if people had questions they could ask them before actually voting. Though that isn't FBG style I guess.
People who play in salary cap leagues understand the implications.

Someone who never has could easily overlook the effect that salary rules can have on player value.

In a salary cap dynasty league, what constitutes a trade?

Should both teams involved in a trade have to send players and/or picks to receive players and/or picks?
This is a misleading post and most people will just answer without actually understanding how things work in salary cap leagues. If you don't like trading one asset, cap space, for another asset, say a draft pick, don't play in salary cap leagues.

It's pretty much as stupid as making a poll saying somebody traded Julio Jones for a second round draft pick and asking if it's collusion, but not saying that Julio has 1 year on his deal and it's 30% of a teams total cap number.

And if anyone wants to read the whole story, this is less biased http://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=90616
I'd just pass on along the lines of what I've said here already.

Judge it by what is the market value for those players and picks. Would anyone obviously have taken on those 2 players for nothing? If not then we've established it takes throwing in something else like picks so that wouldn't be unreasonable to do.

Then establish the market value of those picks. If you were "selling" the picks for cap room, how much cap would teams give up for them? If the answer is reasonably close enough to the cap savings of the players, then you've established fair value is changing hands on both sides.

Which should really be the heart of the matter. If a completely fair, even value trade can happen with one side giving nothing in the trade, then you should consider allowing them unless there is some compelling reason not to. While I was originally hesitant because of potential for abuse, after thinking about it I couldn't really see this being more easily abused than if they swapped similar picks just to satisfy there being something on each side.

Trade: The business of buying and selling commodities, products, or services. To make an exchange of one thing for another.

You seriously think trading a player and giving a pick with it (even though the other team sends no picks/players in return) for cap relief doesn't fit that description??

Gotta ask again. Is ANYONE against this actually in any salary cap league such as the one described where the only way to get rid of the future cap hit for a player is to trade him?
This.

Seriously.

I, too, am baffled by this entire thread.

I have been in salary cap leagues. If a cap is configured in a meaningful manner in cap leagues (it typically is), the cap is a huge factor in the way owners build their teams.

Cap space is the life blood of a team.

Gaining cap space and empty roster spots is a huge deal.

To call it 'nothing' is absurd.

The OP has framed the thread poorly and the respondents have largely bought into the false frame rhetorical voodoo kung-fu.

Cap space and roster space are both valuable commodities.

Fwiw, there are actually people in my 32 team salary cap league who think trading a high salary for "nothing" is cheating. :wall:

P.S. I do play in a salary cap league, and I've seen this in action.
I would sure hope so. Otherwise you would be playing with a bunch of owners who have no idea what they are doing.

This thread is hilarious. Frankly I am shocked. I never would have expected anywhere close to even 10% of FBG being against this, let alone the overwhelming majority.
That's only because it's poorly written. People are reading it as-is, without taking into account how cap/contract/roster relief factors in. I'm in multiple cap/contract leagues and did a quick double-take the first time I saw it. Anyone that's in these leagues understands how this works.

I would sure hope so. Otherwise you would be playing with a bunch of owners who have no idea what they are doing.

This thread is hilarious. Frankly I am shocked. I never would have expected anywhere close to even 10% of FBG being against this, let alone the overwhelming majority.
That's only because it's poorly written. People are reading it as-is, without taking into account how cap/contract/roster relief factors in. I'm in multiple cap/contract leagues and did a quick double-take the first time I saw it. Anyone that's in these leagues understands how this works.
To your last sentence, clearly not.

Anyone who has played a year or two should get it though.

To your last sentence, clearly not.

Anyone who has played a year or two should get it though.
This gets real simple real fast in one of these leagues.

If you trade a guy, let's say Titus Young who has one more year left in 2016 at 10% of your cap. So you deal Young and a 2016 3rd rounder to a rebuilding team for "no compensation".

If someone complains, tell them they are welcome to take Young and the 3rd, and that 10% cap hit for 2016.

Then make fun of them on the message board about how they don't understand how the league works.

They will get it

If people don't get the idea that future cap obligations are a tradeable asset in both a positive (I have ODB at 5% of my cap so he's worth even more than usual) and negative (I have Doug Martin at 20% of my cap so he's worth a negative amount) they shouldn't be in a salary cap/contracts league.

If people don't get the idea that future cap obligations are a tradeable asset in both a positive (I have ODB at 5% of my cap so he's worth even more than usual) and negative (I have Doug Martin at 20% of my cap so he's worth a negative amount) they shouldn't be in a salary cap/contracts league.
Don't know why we need three pages? If salary cap is part of the equation, then salary cap has "value" and therefore shedding salary cap has value. No that hard really......

Users who are viewing this thread