What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Generation do you consider yourself? (1 Viewer)

What Generation do you consider yourself?

• Generation Alpha

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Generation Z

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Millennial

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Generation X

Votes: 116 78.4%
  • Baby Boomer

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Silent Generation

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
Gen X......these kids today are a buncha pussies
There are plenty of kids in the military or are first responders that don't deserve to be part of that broad brush of yours.
Many older gens thought that of X too.
I agree. They're not all pussies.

From my observation, each successive generation of Americans becomes softer, and more entitled, as a whole.

It’sa broad brush but have you met many rich kids? They’re generally softer than those who grew up with hardships. The US has been getting progressively wealthier, with fewer real hardships (again very broad brush).

Depending on where you look, I am either the oldest possible millennial or youngest possible Gen Xer. I tend to self identify as millennial though because so much of what is considered essential Gen X, always felt like it was happening to people just a little older than me. Friends older siblings felt very Gen X to me. They had Pearl Jam, hacky sack and flannels. We had rap music, Playstation and Abercrombie.

Funny though as I do feel this in my work life. For whatever odd reason, there aren't many people I work with who are quite my age. They all seem to be at least 5 years older or at least 5 year younger so I do always feel like I kind of bridge a generational gap at work.

The best description I came across for my age group was "Carter babies" basically born during the Carter administration. Also referred to as a "cusper" being in between 2 generations (X's & millenials for me).

What makes us a little different is that we grew up as kids without the internet, but then it exploded during our late teens/early 20's as we transitioned into adults. The most glaring example to me was how my first job out of college in 2000, I was the reigning expert in all things related to software. I had used Microsoft Office and the internet in college and no one at the company had as much knowledge about these things as I did right out of the gate. I remember what it was like to ride my bike everywhere and trade baseball cards as a kid, but also was young enough to be the first generation to use the internet and email on a daily basis during college.

Depending on where you look, I am either the oldest possible millennial or youngest possible Gen Xer. I tend to self identify as millennial though because so much of what is considered essential Gen X, always felt like it was happening to people just a little older than me. Friends older siblings felt very Gen X to me. They had Pearl Jam, hacky sack and flannels. We had rap music, Playstation and Abercrombie.

Funny though as I do feel this in my work life. For whatever odd reason, there aren't many people I work with who are quite my age. They all seem to be at least 5 years older or at least 5 year younger so I do always feel like I kind of bridge a generational gap at work.
You born around 79-80? I was 77 and I feel closer to Gen X than Millenials.

I am firmly GenX (‘71) but since the ‘00s I’ve felt I vibe better with Carter babies/Xcennials than I do with people closer to my age. And not just because my wife is from that group.

They had Pearl Jam, hacky sack and flannels. We had rap music, Playstation and Abercrombie.
I’m on the boarderline too and feel like I had both these. I definitely don’t identify as a millennial though.
I had both too however, the grunge, hacky sack and flannels felt much 6th-7th grade for me. We were copying the older kids who were cool but I wasn't really part of that scene, I was just a kid still.

X

We were locked out of our homes for 20 hours a day. Had to start working at the age of 10 to have enough money to live off a diet of wax candy and blood that we drank straight from the hose. We had to ride our bikes everywhere, except for vacation trips over 100 miles, in which we had to lay in the beds of pickup trucks without seatbelts.

Born in late 81. I believe in this stuff about as much as I believe in Astrology. (Not at all) Everyone's experiences are different.

Born in late 81. I believe in this stuff about as much as I believe in Astrology. (Not at all) Everyone's experiences are different.
I don't see that comparison at all. Sure, everyone's an individual but there are shared experiences that shape generations. Children during the Great Depression wound up being young adults during WWII. There's no way those events didn't shape their lives and influence how they raised their children in both good and bad ways. Teens living through the Vietnam/Hippy era couldn't help but absorb all kinds of messages and form many different opinions from those in the 80's. We don't even know the full extent of how Covid effected young children, due to masking, lockdowns, families staying home, etc, but it was a shared experience that cannot be removed. Gen X, growing up with no internet, had an entirely different world view than children of today.
There's a reason why marketing targets different generations and businesses hire experts to help understand the differences between their Gen X, Millenial and Gen Z employees. There are mindsets that differ wildly and getting the most from each requires different approaches.
No one is saying that all individuals within a generation are exactly the same but world events impact different ages in different ways. It's not just because you happen to be born under some Astrological sign.
"History makes generations and generations make history"

Last edited:
The best description I came across for my age group was "Carter babies" basically born during the Carter administration. Also referred to as a "cusper" being in between 2 generations (X's & millenials for me).

What makes us a little different is that we grew up as kids without the internet, but then it exploded during our late teens/early 20's as we transitioned into adults. The most glaring example to me was how my first job out of college in 2000, I was the reigning expert in all things related to software. I had used Microsoft Office and the internet in college and no one at the company had as much knowledge about these things as I did right out of the gate. I remember what it was like to ride my bike everywhere and trade baseball cards as a kid, but also was young enough to be the first generation to use the internet and email on a daily basis during college.
Same ('79). I think we were also the last generation to use calling cards at a payphone as adults/college students.

Users who are viewing this thread