What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What if every Top QB were gone like just about every Top RB this year? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Derrick Henry 

Alvin Kamara 

Christian McCaffrey 

Dalvin Cook 

Saquon Barkley

Just about every RB in the first many rounds has logged major time on IR or lost for the season and i just wonder what the NFL would do if this happened to QBs, they might realize that No 1 RBs going down pose a threat for pass protection and could lead to some QBs losing major time. 

FreeBaGeL said:
If as many top QBs were out a lot of NFL games would be unwatchable, which is exactly why the NFL put in all those silly rules to overly protect QBs.
This was my first thought. You can't cough on a QB without a penalty and that's a good thing. Subpar quarterbacking play makes professional football unwatchable. The collegiate guys -- there's enough disparity between offensive and defensive talent to make things interesting. Not so in the professional ranks. The game is even, the defensive schemes better, the players better. 

The only thing making the NFL go is their top quarterbacking. Considering who the college game has been putting out lately and the systems they're running, we might not see professional football enjoying such a dominant market share in years to come. There just aren't enough humans who can do what the rigors of the position demand. 

I am not sure that the number of injuries is that much different. It is also likely that teams are using the IR designation much more freely to allow players to recuperate and of course several players have missed one or two games with Covid. It makes short depth leagues way more difficult to manage.

Ministry of Pain said:
Derrick Henry 

Alvin Kamara 

Christian McCaffrey 

Dalvin Cook 

Saquon Barkley

Just about every RB in the first many rounds has logged major time on IR or lost for the season and i just wonder what the NFL would do if this happened to QBs, they might realize that No 1 RBs going down pose a threat for pass protection and could lead to some QBs losing major time. 
Hell, that's not even counting guys who missed a couple games(Chubb, A.Jones, Robinson) or ancillary RBs, like CEH, Carson, and Montgomery, who were all consensus top-15 guys. Not to mention guys like Dobbins, Akers, and Etienne, whom were highly coveted dynasty assets.

To use a positional ranking similarity. It'd be like if Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Dak Prescott, and Aaron Rodgers all missed major time, or went on IR.

Basically, Tom Brady would be the runaway MVP, which he might end up being anyway. 

It would make the NFL product hard to watch.  Having said that, the NFL does need to do something about the ridiculous roughing the passer calls.  I suppose the NFL believes a hard rushing defensive player can stop in mid-air.

Ministry of Pain said:
Derrick Henry 

Alvin Kamara 

Christian McCaffrey 

Dalvin Cook 

Saquon Barkley

I am sure I am missing something in my pre-coffee addled brain but I am not sure I follow this: With so many No 1 RBs going down and QBs not going down, doesn't that disprove this line of reasoning, without having to lose a bunch of No 1 QBs to demonstrate it?

Ministry of Pain said:
i just wonder what the NFL would do if this happened to QBs, they might realize that No 1 RBs going down pose a threat for pass protection and could lead to some QBs losing major time. 

It would be like that game last night... one team with a QB that lacks the tools, but his "feelgood" story makes us all root for him... the other is a veteran QB playing through injury that limits him, but the intestinal fortitude makes us all root for him. Beyond that the game is borderline unwatchable.

That's what it would be like.

I guess the NFL is an entertainment business, so those saying that is why the QB is protected more than other players have a pretty fair point. And I do stand by the right of businesses to make their own decisions for their own benefit. But I also stand by my right to disagree with those very businesses' decisions, and I don't like what they're doing. I'd rather have rules that don't pamper one specific guy, even if it hurts the product. JOMO.

Ever play in a start 2qb 12 team league? Apologies for not addressing your question, but felt this sort of applies to your post (from a fantasy perspective).

I have found chasing points from qbs like PJ Walker or Tim Blough are almost worthless and am better off taking a zero at the QB2 slot. They frequently produce negative points it seems. Colt McCoy was the exception. Been without Kyler Murray and dropped my qb3 (Darnold) for PJ when Sam got hurt. How I have clinched a playoff spot is pure ####### luck.

FreeBaGeL said:
If as many top QBs were out a lot of NFL games would be unwatchable, which is exactly why the NFL put in all those silly rules to overly protect QBs.

Unwatchable only as the game is played now.

Hell, that's not even counting guys who missed a couple games(Chubb, A.Jones, Robinson) or ancillary RBs, like CEH, Carson, and Montgomery, who were all consensus top-15 guys. Not to mention guys like Dobbins, Akers, and Etienne, whom were highly coveted dynasty assets.

To use a positional ranking similarity. It'd be like if Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Kyler Murray, Dak Prescott, and Aaron Rodgers all missed major time, or went on IR.

Basically, Tom Brady would be the runaway MVP, which he might end up being anyway. 
And if those qbs go down, it affects the WR’s and TE’s.  RB’s have been a plug and play for a few years now.  This year is the least interested I’ve been in it in a very long time.  

And if those qbs go down, it affects the WR’s and TE’s.  RB’s have been a plug and play for a few years now.  This year is the least interested I’ve been in it in a very long time.  
The Golden Goose is dead. 

Dead and buried.

zed2283 said:
Like I said in the rules thread, if they make the rules less pro-passing and anti-defense, teams could start building strong running games which would offset this reliance on QBs.

Yeah I agree and would like to see it too.

Users who are viewing this thread