What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the best time zone? (1 Viewer)

Best

• Total voters
The worst is Arizona because it's mountain without daylight savings.  NFL games change from 11am to 10am during the season for one thing. 

Worse, you never know when the hell something is on TV.  If a national network says a show in on at 8 Eastern / 7 Central then what time is it on in Arizona?

If you are getting the east coast feed it could be on at 5pm or 6pm, depending on whether the rest of the country is in daylight savings.  If you are getting the west coast feed it could be on at 8pm or 9pm.  Living in Arizona you generally don't pay attention to daylight savings so it's not obvious if the rest of the country is on or off.  Nice 4 hour window of confusion there.

For sports I don't know why you wouldn't vote Pacific.  No sport playing in the continental US is ever on too early or too late.  You can see every game.  Generally everything is over by 9pm.  Once in a great while you may need to be up until 11pm watching something.

OK, one downside is you often miss the first quarter of MNF and TNF but I'll take that over staying up past midnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Retired and just thinking about sports watching:  Pacific.

Working and just thinking about TV: Central

The worst is Arizona because it's mountain without daylight savings.  NFL games change from 11am to 10am during the season for one thing. 

Worse, you never know when the hell something is on TV.  If a national network says a show in on at 8 Eastern / 7 Central then what time is it on in Arizona?

If you are getting the east coast feed it could be on at 5pm or 6pm, depending on whether the rest of the country is in daylight savings.  If you are getting the west coast feed it could be on at 8pm or 9pm.  Living in Arizona you generally don't pay attention to daylight savings so it's not obvious if the rest of the country is on or off.  Nice 4 hour window of confusion there.
I didn't think about the TV show aspect and potential spoiler alerts with twitter.  Sounds like the western half of the country has to fight that these days. 

Maybe a bit of a sidetrack, but if you care about sunrise and sunset times, you also need to consider location within the time zone. My relatives in western Michigan always brag about it being light there until a later hour (about 40 min, really) compared to us in NY state. 

Of course, they don't seem to get that they also have to drive to work and school in the dark much more often during the year. 

Maybe a bit of a sidetrack, but if you care about sunrise and sunset times, you also need to consider location within the time zone. My relatives in western Michigan always brag about it being light there until a later hour (about 40 min, really) compared to us in NY state. 

Of course, they don't seem to get that they also have to drive to work and school in the dark much more often during the year. 
Location in the time zone and latitude make a big difference. In the shortest days of winter here it gets light at like 7:30 AM and is DARK before 5 PM. In June, it gets light really damn early and isn't legitimately dark until after 10 PM.

So all the people voting EST have never lived outside of EST time, right?

I lived in EST for 30 years and thought it was fine until I moved to MST.  Now I've seen the light and could never go back.  I'm constantly calling my brother who still lives EST and asking "did you see the end of that game last night?!?!" to which he replies no way dude, I had to work in the morning.

I turned 21 when I was living in Reno.  It was pretty annoying to hit a bar at 9 or 10 and most of the games be over for the night.  It was just ESPN replays for 4 hours.  East coast doesn't have this problem.  Something is always live.

:goodposting:   I live near the western edge of the Eastern time zone.  Have family that live just across in the central time zone...no way I would trade with them.  In the winter it gets dark at like 4:30.  We basically get an extra hour of daylight in the evenings year-round, which is great for any outdoor activities -- from golf to yard work.  Sure they get an earlier sunrise, but that doesn't have much of an impact imo.  

Alaska was great growing up.  Not the same as Hawaii btw (though I think it might have been back in the early 80s).

I have always lived in CST.  At my stage of life, games are often on too late for me.  My work day starts at 7 or 7:30, so 11:00-midnight is too late.  I almost never caught the end of the NFL night games and now I'm missing the end of basketball games (went to bed before the end of the Bulls/Celts last night).  I would be fine with the first games starting an hour earlier at 11:00 as I'm home from church by then, so I voted MST.

I have always lived in CST.  At my stage of life, games are often on too late for me.  My work day starts at 7 or 7:30, so 11:00-midnight is too late.  I almost never caught the end of the NFL night games and now I'm missing the end of basketball games (went to bed before the end of the Bulls/Celts last night).  I would be fine with the first games starting an hour earlier at 11:00 as I'm home from church by then, so I voted MST.
Pretty much my take.  The end of games outweighs the start.  I'd rather miss the first quarter than overtime.

Living in the east, I don't even bother staying up for UFC events anymore as they're typically on past 1.  I hope my kids will move to colorado with me when they graduate college.   

Looks like this last NCAA tourney game tonight should be finishing up around 10:30pm EST.  Plenty of time to get a good night's sleep.  The first games will start around 10:30am tomorrow which means they'll be timed perfectly to be able to catch the end of about 3 or 4 games over lunch break and probably see some sweet cinderella buzzer beaters.

#mountain4lyfe

Looks like this last NCAA tourney game tonight should be finishing up around 10:30pm EST.  Plenty of time to get a good night's sleep.  The first games will start around 10:30am tomorrow which means they'll be timed perfectly to be able to catch the end of about 3 or 4 games over lunch break and probably see some sweet cinderella buzzer beaters.

#mountain4lyfe
12:30 EST. 10:30 MNT. 

If you're a sports fan Central is the best.  Games start at 6 and end by midnight. 

NFL games start at noon and end at 6.  MNF on at 7:30, done by 11. 

Pacific is the worst as a sports fan, at least if you originate from the east.  Games start at 4?  No.  Sunday football starts at 10 am?  Gross. 

Central>Mountain>Eastern>Pacific>Hawaii>Afghanistan
That half hour really screws with you.

Users who are viewing this thread