What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the worst loss in the last 50 years of sports? (4 Viewers)

There were 10 NFL Playoff comebacks of 25 or more points until 3 days ago. It had never occurred in the Super Bowl but sooner or later it was bound to happen.

There have been five comebacks in North American team sports from down 0-3, four since 1975, four overall in hockey. Once each in the Conference quarters, semis & finals. Only The Maple Leafs over the Red Wings in 1942 occurred in the SC Finals. 

The Yankees collapse is somewhat unique in sports - but then again, it was ALCS not the WS.

The Cavs were the first team to comeback from 3-1 in the NBA Finals, but 11th overall.

But going back to the Falcons, no team had ever lost a playoff game up by 19 or more starting the 4th quarter. 93-0 before Sunday night.

Do people even realize that the game was tied when Buckner let the ball through his legs? I mean, it sucked and all, but it's not as if he makes that play the Sox win. 

Schiraldi gave up three straight two out hits and Stanley threw a wild pitch. #### those guys. 

I did a pretty big list in your other thread.  Don't feel like re-writing it. 

I would add a new one: 

Univ. of Memphis losing to Louisville in NCAA semi-final - Darius Washington misses two free throws at the end of regulation down 75-73 (season 72%).  Felt so badly for Washington. 
Yep that was brutal, made the first of three easily then clanks next two to lose by one. 

I'll add my worst 2 for teams I root for:

1. Derrick Rose and Calipari with Memphis vs Kansas in title game. 10 point lead with minute and a half left. Give up tying 3 at buzzer and lose in OT. 

2. Cubs Marlins Bartman game

Buckner doesn't belong on this damn list.

It was game freaking 6. They could've won it the next game and didn't. So overstated. 

Gary Anderson - Vikings

:gunshot:
This was a lot more than Anderson - it was a team choke.

Players running out of bounds 3 times on a clock killing drive (Atlanta ties it with 1 second left).

Trying to run up the score deep in their own territory right before the half, already with a lead (leading to a turnover and score).

etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was a lot more than Anderson - it was a team choke.

Players running out of bounds 3 times on a clock killing drive (Atlanta ties it with 1 second left).

Trying to run up the score deep in their own territory right before the half, already with a lead (leading to a turnover).

etc.
all valid and true ... but much easier to blame it all on the frumpy white kicker, amirite? 

:thumbup:

49ers 55 Broncos 10

Really bad as a Bronco fan and it being their 4th SB loss. Plus I lost $500 after some smart a** at work told me he would give the Broncos and +40pts. Lots of money for a broke 20 yr old.
that's not even the worst Broncos loss.  That game falls behind Jags & Ravens playoff games.  Not even the worst Broncos SB - 22 and 48 were more painful.

49ers were a team for the ages, so it really wasn't that much of a chock.  Plus, by then we (I?) were numbed to SB losses, after blowing 21 and 22 a few years prior.

49ers 55 Broncos 10

Really bad as a Bronco fan and it being their 4th SB loss. Plus I lost $500 after some smart a** at work told me he would give the Broncos and +40pts. Lots of money for a broke 20 yr old.
This was more of 49ers coach Seifert running up the score on a defeated team. He pulled that crap on a lot of teams when he was their coach. I still remember the 49ers throwing some deep balls in the 4th quarter, already up by 30+ points in that SB.

Seifert got his just desserts in Carolina, where he went 1-15 his last season and was fired.

I'd put the Oilers blowing a 35-3 lead against the Bills and the backup QB in '93 right up there with the worst losses in sports history.

1999 Champions League Final

Bayern up 1-0 with 3 minutes of added time to go

United score twice in that time to win.

Probably pretty devastating to Bayern players and fans.

I disagree most Colombians supported or were happy Escobar was murdered.  It was seen as a great tragedy. Over 100,000 attended his funeral and they built a statue of him in Medellin. The murder was almost certainly gambling related. I really don't think this game is even in the conversation in terms of this topic. It was a garden-variety mild upset in the group stage.
Considering Colombia was one of the tournament favorites I disagree with your garden-variety mild upset.  Huge upset IMO and always bad to lose on an own goal.  May not be high in the rankings for this but fits.

all valid and true ... but much easier to blame it all on the frumpy white kicker, amirite? 

:thumbup:
As a Vikings fan I don't even "blame" him. He was so good all his career and especially that season. It wasn't even a bad kick (unlike the Blair Walsh dead pull). It was just guy punching that his one inevitable miss came at the worst time and really didn't seem like it was coming or due (again, unlike the Walsh miss which I sensed coming). 

that's not even the worst Broncos loss.  That game falls behind Jags & Ravens playoff games.  Not even the worst Broncos SB - 22 and 48 were more painful.

49ers were a team for the ages, so it really wasn't that much of a chock.  Plus, by then we (I?) were numbed to SB losses, after blowing 21 and 22 a few years prior.
Totally agree on Ravens and Jags playoff losses. Worse for organization and fans overall. The $500 with getting 40 made it bad on a different level. 

I have never understood how that Houston team didn't win a single championship.  Didn't Drexler/Hakeem play together for 3 years?  What happened??
At least 2.  Hakeem was really raw coming in but became a dominating player rather quickly. That team had some other studs too.  That 30/30 on them was great.  Also running into a Patrick Ewing led Georgetown team in 1984 didn't help either.  That team was just as talented as Houston.

At least 2.  Hakeem was really raw coming in but became a dominating player rather quickly. That team had some other studs too.  That 30/30 on them was great.  Also running into a Patrick Ewing led Georgetown team in 1984 didn't help either.  That team was just as talented as Houston.
Good analysis.  Agree 100%.  I actually got to see Phi Slamma Jamma when I was 12-years old - baseline seats at UCSB.  Followed them pretty closely back then, and was really disappointed (and surprised) they lost that year to NC State.  But nowadays I smile every time I see a replay of Coach V jumping around looking for someone to hug. 

I disagree most Colombians supported or were happy Escobar was murdered.  It was seen as a great tragedy. Over 100,000 attended his funeral and they built a statue of him in Medellin. The murder was almost certainly gambling related. I really don't think this game is even in the conversation in terms of this topic. It was a garden-variety mild upset in the group stage.
No way, not in the mind of most Columbians.   They were one of the favorites that year and the idea of losing to the US was unthinkable at the time, a country who didn't give a rats-### about the sport and also wanted to blame their entire country for its cocaine-problem.  They hated us and then they end up losing to us on an own-goal, talk about the ultimate insult.

Maybe because at the time I was looking at it through the eyes of a 12-year old (I lived near LA where the games were played), but it sure felt like their entire country's pride was destroyed that day.

It wouldn't go on many others top 10 list but as a Miami U alum losing the 2009 NCAA Championship still hurts.

3-1 lead with one minute to go in the game and I'm starting my celebration. Boston U scores twice in the last minute to tie it and then wins in OT.  :no:

Users who are viewing this thread