What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is your favorite piece of classical music? (1 Viewer)

I'm performing Mozart's 40th in a couple weeks in a concert. Love it.
Very cool. I'm guessing you saw me quizzing Floppy about his music past earlier today. 

G, would you mind sharing a little more?

What instrument? How did you get involved? Will it be recorded? If so, would you share it? Etc. 

Now, I'm a pushy & nosey mf'er, so, I understand if you don't want to get deeper into it - no problem & my apologies. 

However, if you like sharing, nothing interests me more than people performing. 

Either way - kick ###! ✌️😎👍

If there ever is a classical music draft, I will participate, but I know less than most here. Thus, I may need a little time to make my choices - since the "top of my head" ain't gonna get me thru a draft.

Sounds like fun.

Very cool. I'm guessing you saw me quizzing Floppy about his music past earlier today. 

G, would you mind sharing a little more?

What instrument? How did you get involved? Will it be recorded? If so, would you share it? Etc. 

Now, I'm a pushy & nosey mf'er, so, I understand if you don't want to get deeper into it - no problem & my apologies. 

However, if you like sharing, nothing interests me more than people performing. 

Either way - kick ###! ✌️😎👍
String bass. I've been playing since 7th grade, so about 30 years now (which is crazy). I started in orchestra then because I had a crush on a girl and she was joining orchestra too. I picked the bass because it was the easiest to see. Not much more to it than that. I've been playing since then in various capacities (up to semi-professional). 

I don't think it'll be recorded but I can try and record a bit at my next rehearsal.

String bass. I've been playing since 7th grade, so about 30 years now (which is crazy). I started in orchestra then because I had a crush on a girl and she was joining orchestra too. I picked the bass because it was the easiest to see. Not much more to it than that. I've been playing since then in various capacities (up to semi-professional). 

I don't think it'll be recorded but I can try and record a bit at my next rehearsal.
So awesome! Thnx, gianmarco. 

In krista4's Beatles thread, I mentioned that I am working on a thread idea to curate all FBG creative works. This is exactly what I am looking for. 

All music / art / acting / crafts /etc. 

I am sorta new to this part of FBG, and I have lots to learn. The most fun I have had - is in creative threads. 

So... I am trying to find it all. 

Looking forward to learning more. 

Thnx again. ✌️

Do you lug your ax around or does it live at the rehearsal space?

Like I mentioned somewhere out there, I go to sleep listening to music.

So instead of Professor Longhair,  Blind Mellon. Slaid Cleaves, GLove, Gillian Welch,  it's...

Mozart

Last edited by a moderator:

I had no idea. Very cool. And even cooler that you still play. :thumbup:

Eta... Do you play other genres, or just classical? I'll need video of the rockabilly 

I had no idea. Very cool. And even cooler that you still play. :thumbup:

Eta... Do you play other genres, or just classical? I'll need video of the rockabilly 
Just classical. I played around a little with jazz when in college but it was never my cup of tea and I never really excelled at it. I've got a really good ear (near perfect pitch) and I excel at sight-reading, but I still never got really into it.

That said, I've still had some pretty cool experiences playing.  I've never thought about it much, but here are some interesting ones:

--I played part time in a trio (piano, violin, and bass) at the Peabody Hotel for a couple years doing lounge music (big band, showtunes, etc). 

-- I was a solo bass in a play The Elephant Man  that had an original score written just for it. That was neat as I had to dress in mid 19th century clothing and sit on stage the entire play off to the side. By like the 30th performance that summer, I had enough.

-- I've played some stuff at Disney (Candlelight Concert).  Louis Gosset Jr. was the narrator.

-- I was hired to play in a group to perform and record a soundtrack for an early silent movie. That was a neat experience in a studio where the movie would play in the background and we'd play with the conductor getting it to match. 

-- Countless church performances (mostly when I was younger) for Christmas or Easter (Handel's Messiah, Nutcracker, choirs, no choirs, etc.)

-- I played in a big band briefly with a few performances. That was a lot of fun (not jazz since the parts were written out but freedom to improvise a little if I wanted)

-- I was even a college "professor" at a small liberal arts school while I was still an undergraduate (at another school) teaching a couple students how to play. I still don't quite know I managed that one, but whatever. It was money :)

And I've played in several orchestras of varying size and ability in different cities I've lived in. Whenever I'd move, getting involved in a new location was one of the first things I'd do after moving. Some paid, most volunteer. The current orchestra I'm in is easily the best and my favorite. It's a great group.

HA!

Glad you mentioned it. Ima gonna given er a listen now...

Mozart - Requiem in D minor (Complete/Full) [HD]

Always been high on my list - as most Mozart.
Also I highly highly recommend to you or anyone who hasn't seen it (or hasn't seen it in a long time) to watch Amadeus. It's one of my all-time favorite movies and  even people who don't like classical music would like it. In my early 20s one of my friends who only listened to rap and wasn't too into movies beyond gangsters crime films and comedies was over. He overheard me talking to another friend about much I liked it. He called me a couple of days later, said he had rented it and that it was real dope. It's not the stuffy period piece that one might expect. 

Also I highly highly recommend to you or anyone who hasn't seen it (or hasn't seen it in a long time) to watch Amadeus. It's one of my all-time favorite movies and I even people who don't like classical music would like. In my early 20s one of my friends who only listened to rap and wasn't too into movies beyond gangsters crime films and comedies was over. He overheard me talking to another friend about much I liked it. He called me a couple of days later, said he had rented it and that it was real dope. It's not the stuffy period piece that one might expect. 
YEah - I love it too!

And - I almost brought this movie up in my last post - thus - I will now post the link I was reading on it - very short - but interesting:

Mozart - Requiem: A masterpiece shrouded in mystery

Cool, I will check it out. We were just talking about Brahm's Requiem here. For some reason the requiems are some of my favorite pieces. Not sure what that says about me. 
I am similar - and I think I know in my case - Sorrow - truly - their is an element of sorrow in most all requiems I know. It produces in me something akin to a minor scale or chord - even if that is not the actual written music. I am not sure if that makes sense - as I am not a trained musician - if I am using the language wrong, let me know - it's clear in my head, but I don't know the proper musical terms to use.

Here's a recording I made for my kids a few months ago with my phone.  We were reading Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time and I thought they'd enjoy it.

It's a little shaky at the start, there's a lot of bass (i.e. me) since it's on my stand in front of me (and also more brass/percussion since they are closest to me), and you'll hear a page turn a couple minutes into it.

But otherwise still fun to listen to.

I am similar - and I think I know in my case - Sorrow - truly - their is an element of sorrow in most all requiems I know. It produces in me something akin to a minor scale or chord - even if that is not the actual written music. I am not sure if that makes sense - as I am not a trained musician - if I am using the language wrong, let me know - it's clear in my head, but I don't know the proper musical terms to use.
I think more requiems are absolutely in a  minor scale. D- minor for Mozart. So is Faure's which I really love as well. 

Here's a recording I made for my kids a few months ago with my phone.  We were reading Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time and I thought they'd enjoy it.

It's a little shaky at the start, there's a lot of bass (i.e. me) since it's on my stand in front of me (and also more brass/percussion since they are closest to me), and you'll hear a page turn a couple minutes into it.

But otherwise still fun to listen to.
I turned off the requiem and am listen'n, g.

Very good so far!

Wow! Really great @gianmarco!

What piece are you playing?

<realllllly fearful that this is something I should know by ear - ha>
Here's something I just found.  This is our orchestra playing Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony a few years ago and was recorded by someone in the audience (for the cymbal player, as you'll see).

It's a great piece (one of my favorites, actually), and just gives an idea of the group. 

Mahavishnu's Apocalypse album is one of the better uses of classical instrumentation in jazz (or rock for that matter).  The London Symphony is still largely used as an accompanist, sitting out for long sections behind the solos.  But McLaughlin along with collaborators Michael Gibbs and Michael Tilson-Thomas make effective use of the strings and winds without being either gimmicky or overbearing.  It's helped by having Jean Luc-Ponty's violin as the second solo voice and the perfect compliment to the acoustic and electric guitars.

Apocalypse is still a glorious sounding recording thanks in part to producer George Martin who considered it one of his finest works.  The final track "Hymm to Him" is probably the best place to start.
Sweet. I didn't know George Martin worked on that.

RE:  Music to sleep to.

Modern composer Max Richter released an 8 1/2 hour album called "Sleep" (Spotify link) a few years ago.  It consists of 204 (!)  tracks that are generally Minimalist and downtempo but include some very nice melodies.  I haven't consumed the whole thing but I've listened to his one hour sampler called "From Sleep".

Richter does a lot of film scores.  His music for the German film "Never Look Away" is one of my favorite records of the year.

Also I highly highly recommend to you or anyone who hasn't seen it (or hasn't seen it in a long time) to watch Amadeus. It's one of my all-time favorite movies and  even people who don't like classical music would like it. In my early 20s one of my friends who only listened to rap and wasn't too into movies beyond gangsters crime films and comedies was over. He overheard me talking to another friend about much I liked it. He called me a couple of days later, said he had rented it and that it was real dope. It's not the stuffy period piece that one might expect. 
I watched "A Late Quartet" earlier this year.  It's a contemporary story from 2012 about members of a string quartet who've played together for 25 years and the relationships between them.  The quartet of Christopher Walken, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Catherine Keener and Mark Ivanir are all excellent.

It's on Amazon Prime

I watched "A Late Quartet" earlier this year.  It's a contemporary story from 2012 about members of a string quartet who've played together for 25 years and the relationships between them.  The quartet of Christopher Walken, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Catherine Keener and Mark Ivanir are all excellent.

It's on Amazon Prime
Thanks. Have you Mozart in the Jungle? I thought that was pretty well done.

Thanks. Have you Mozart in the Jungle? I thought that was pretty well done.
Mrs Eephus and I enjoyed Mozart in the Jungle and were sad to see it cancelled.  It's surprisingly tough for us to find a series we'll sit through together over the long haul.  That's mostly on me though because I'd just as soon watch sports or a 2 hour movie.

Mozart was wildly inconsistent and only about half the sub-plots worked but the characters were interesting and likeable enough (especially Garcia Bernal) to keep me coming back.

Mrs Eephus and I enjoyed Mozart in the Jungle and were sad to see it cancelled.  It's surprisingly tough for us to find a series we'll sit through together over the long haul.  That's mostly on me though because I'd just as soon watch sports or a 2 hour movie.

Mozart was wildly inconsistent and only about half the sub-plots worked but the characters were interesting and likeable enough (especially Garcia Bernal) to keep me coming back.
I agree. If it wasn't about classical music I probably wouldn't have liked it. 

Fellini's "Orchestra Rehearsal" is also on Amazon Prime.  The movie is supposedly more of an allegory about Italian politics than music.  It's been on my watchlist but I haven't found the right occasion to watch it. 

I've also watchlisted Kenneth Branagh's English-language version of Mozart's The Magic Flute but opera's not really my jam.

One I have watched is a terrific Sibelius cycle shot for Finnish television.  The production values are first rate.  Each symphony is preceded by 20-30 minutes of commentary that sets musical and historical context.

One I have watched is a terrific Sibelius cycle shot for Finnish television.  The production values are first rate.  Each symphony is preceded by 20-30 minutes of commentary that sets musical and historical context.
don't think i've ever enjoyed a classical music experience - with the possible exception of my first 9th - more than my 1st hearing of Sibelius's 2nd Symphony. my 1st job in Albq was at a detox center run by the county hospital which was run by the Univ of NM. that made me a university employee. the author DHLawrence owned a 10,000 acre ranch N of Taos and donated to UNM when he died for use as a retreat. me and my new gf - celebrating 40 yrs this month of a great multi-level friendship - at the time could enjoy a cabin in this Rocky Mt slice o heaven (so open and secluded that we could hike naked - she still has a picture of me standing a trailblazing watch atop a rock wearing nothing but boots and zinc oxide paste protecting my joint from the sun) for $2-3 bucks a night as an employee benefit. Jenny had read about classical music being played outside in the nearby ski resort of Angel Fire so we got tickets to see it and the transports of hearing NMSO perform the S2 - nearly as pastoral as Beethoven's 6th - amidst that mountain splendour was almost overwhelming.

Sitting at parent-teacher conferences for the last 6 hours. 2 more to go. I've had 2 parents. Good news is I've gotten a lot of listening in. Working my way through the Carl Nielsen Symphonies at the moment. 

Sitting at parent-teacher conferences for the last 6 hours. 2 more to go. I've had 2 parents. Good news is I've gotten a lot of listening in. Working my way through the Carl Nielsen Symphonies at the moment. 
Bad news/good news

Only two parents is distressingly low.  I know I missed a few times due to business travel but at least one of us made it to conference and back to school days every time.

don't think i've ever enjoyed a classical music experience - with the possible exception of my first 9th - more than my 1st hearing of Sibelius's 2nd Symphony. my 1st job in Albq was at a detox center run by the county hospital which was run by the Univ of NM. that made me a university employee. the author DHLawrence owned a 10,000 acre ranch N of Taos and donated to UNM when he died for use as a retreat. me and my new gf - celebrating 40 yrs this month of a great multi-level friendship - at the time could enjoy a cabin in this Rocky Mt slice o heaven (so open and secluded that we could hike naked - she still has a picture of me standing a trailblazing watch atop a rock wearing nothing but boots and zinc oxide paste protecting my joint from the sun) for $2-3 bucks a night as an employee benefit. Jenny had read about classical music being played outside in the nearby ski resort of Angel Fire so we got tickets to see it and the transports of hearing NMSO perform the S2 - nearly as pastoral as Beethoven's 6th - amidst that mountain splendour was almost overwhelming.
New Mexico is a long way from Finland but great art transcends time and distance

Bad news/good news

Only two parents is distressingly low.  I know I missed a few times due to business travel but at least one of us made it to conference and back to school days every time.
I am usually in the 5-7 range so this is lower than usual but not by much. It's no surprise to me at all. My personal opinion is if you want to "fix schools", you start with the parents. 

My favorite 2019 Classical release is pianist Jeremy Denk's "c.1300-c.2000".  Spotify  YouTube

It's a 25 track selection of solo pieces sequenced chronologically from 1300AD to the present.  Some of the early tracks pre-date the piano so they're transcribed from vocal arrangements.  It's fascinating to hear the compositions progress from the late Middle Ages to the 18th and 19th century classic but the construction/deconstruction through Modernism, Tonalism, Minimalism, Etceteraism, is equally interesting.

Denk is an excellent writer as well.  One of the problems with streaming is that you can't read liner notes, not that my eyes could handle CD typefaces now anyways.

And I promise it is not because they are doing so exceptionally well, tons of kids are failing. Probably 20% of the kids I work with have a disability as well. So yeah even parents with kids with disabilities are not very interested in how their high school student is doing or why he is failing 5 classes. 

But I got to listen to a lot of good music and put a big dent in Howards End, it will end in 10 minutes and I am off to get some wine and pizza. 

gianmarco said:
Here's something I just found.  This is our orchestra playing Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony a few years ago and was recorded by someone in the audience (for the cymbal player, as you'll see).

It's a great piece (one of my favorites, actually), and just gives an idea of the group. 
When I 1st viewed this, gi.. 

..my initial thought was:

WTF? What kinda outfit has their musicians SMOKING CIGS on stage? 

Heh - turns out it was a French Horn - I believe - the guy right under the cymbal player - all of his horn is blocked from view except his mouthpiece. 

:doh:

Really nice performance - thnx for posting the vid. It will be in my curation thread when I get it up. 

👍

Users who are viewing this thread