What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Is Your Workbag? (2 Viewers)

What Is Your Workbag?

• Backpack

Votes: 47 43.9%
  • messenger bag

Votes: 36 33.6%
  • Purse

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Plastic grocery bag

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Hard briefcase

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Roller briefcase thing that looks like carryon luggage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 15 14.0%

• Total voters
Function never met style halfway, anyway. Work is just a servile function. Style is an end unto itself.

Wear a backpack if you need it. Messenger bags are for bikers. We just decided cyclists looked cool. Sporty, as it were.

I don't necessarily identify it with masculinity just with that of a school boy hauling a bunch of textbooks around.   It's fine if you're an intern who doesn't know any better but if you're a bawse, you can do much better.  
Well I’m neither, so I guess no bag works atm. When I biked, there’s no way I’d use anything other than a backpack, despite the hipster appeal of messenger bags.

Function never met style halfway, anyway. Work is just a servile function. Style is an end unto itself.

Wear a backpack if you need it. Messenger bags are for bikers. We just decided cyclists looked cool. Sporty, as it were.
Never understood why messenger bags were adopted by cyclists. They throw off your center of gravity and make you less maneuverable in traffic.

Also, not directed at you, but most people as they get older don’t really concern themselves with appearing “cringeworthy.” 

Small business owner and I do a lot of outside sales and I don't see any men or women that carry backpacks that appear to be over 40. 
over here here in nerd land (IT / R&D and Systems) 2/3rds of non-executives carry backpacks regardless of age.   

That's not to refute your point that it is / isn't cringeworthy.   Just saying that it is so common I don't even notice it.   

Never understood why messenger bags were adopted by cyclists. They throw off your center of gravity and make you less maneuverable in traffic.

Also, not directed at you, but most people as they get older don’t really concern themselves with appearing “cringeworthy.” 
Interesting first point. I'd always assumed it was so one would have easier access to the documents one was delivering. Plus, they look like they'd bend legal-sized papers less easily.

I agree with your second point, too.

I use an old Wenger backpack I got from Dell via a Slickdeals about 10 years ago.  Probably time to upgrade.

Work from home and drive to appointments, no office.

over here here in nerd land (IT / R&D and Systems) 2/3rds of non-executives carry backpacks regardless of age.   

That's not to refute your point that it is / isn't cringeworthy.   Just saying that it is so common I don't even notice it.   
I definitely can see it in those areas of business. We deal mostly with sales/purchasing/management/Engineering exec types and I would say most have some sort of "bag" and I can't think of anyone that carries a backpack that just didn't start out at their job. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I’m neither, so I guess no bag works atm. When I biked, there’s no way I’d use anything other than a backpack, despite the hipster appeal of messenger bags.
Biking is a different thing.  I'll send a note to offdee to make sure your :style: pass doesn't get revoked.  

Literally just had a discussion about this with a large group of people the other day thanks to an article in the Philly Inquirer. Every single person agreed that it was cringe worthy when "older guys" (over 30s was the consensus) carry backpacks to a professional job. 
Interesting, pretty much everyone where I work uses a backpack.  DC area, large IT consulting firm.

Interesting first point. I'd always assumed it was so one would have easier access to the documents one was delivering. Plus, they look like they'd bend legal-sized papers less easily.

I agree with your second point, too.
Yeah, their shape is more conducive to carrying papers/files, but safety was foremost on my mind with a 15 mile commute.

Messenger bag Is a better layout. Wide and big opening as opposed to backpack. 

Backpack / a Northface that I've had for at least 15 years. Also use it for all air travel. 

Drive to work but did use public transportation when I was working in Boston a few years  ago.

Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
Literally just had a discussion about this with a large group of people the other day thanks to an article in the Philly Inquirer. Every single person agreed that it was cringe worthy when "older guys" (over 30s was the consensus) carry backpacks to a professional job. 
Too general a statement.  I work with Nike on their campus for example...everyone carries backpacks in their 40s and 50s.

I voted messenger bag.  It's one of those Swiss Gear laptop bags.

That being said, I don't take it to/from work unless I'm bringing my laptop home, which is incredibly rare.

And I drive.  LOL @ "public transportation" here in SoCal.

This

Probably too big for my needs now that I don't really travel any more.  
wow ...I think it's identical to the one I used for the last 7-8 years of hard traveling at work ...still use it today when I work.  I bought it at the Chicago airport at the Brookstone Store when I was killing time during a layover.  My strap had broken on my messenger bag (that looked cool and I loved) ...again and the leather on the strap for the clamp had given out.    

This is a killer work bag.  

What do you use to carry your crap, papers, folders, notepads, laptops, tablets, etc to and from work?  

Do you use public transit or drive/uber?
I leave that all at work. We have a laptop bag which came with the computer supplied by my employer. 

My lunch bag is the only thing I take to/from work everyday. 

Drive. I would consider public transit but it's not really a viable option. I'd also bike to work but the roads I'd have to take suck for cyclists. There just isn't a good way to go and not impede traffic and risk injury. 

I preferred a saddle bag set similar to this before I retired. I rode a motorcycle as primary transportation, and I had them made with handles like a brief case.

I sold my motorcycles about 4 years ago, but I still use the saddle bags. They have broken in wonderfully after about 19 years of use. I do have to use smaller divider bags sometimes, as these are a thick cowhide meant to protect from asphalt and concrete abrasion.

backpack.  i don't carry a laptop.  but sometimes papers, lunch, a book.  occasionally some clothes for the gym at work.  i take the train and then walk just shy of a mile.  every once in awhile i drive.

Leeroy Jenkins said:
This is what I use. I love the storage, but it just feels too heavy without even putting much in it. 

I might have two accordion type legal folders, surface pro, chargers, wifi hotspot, bose headphones. 

https://www.everki.com/us_en/atlas-travel-friendly-laptop-backpack-13-inch-to-17-3-inch-adaptable-compartment.html
I have this bag from Everki.  High quality.  Voted "other" since mine is a soft briefcase.  Tons of pockets.  TSA guys must shake their heads at the mass of cords, chargers, batteries, etc. I have stuffed in this one.  Superfluous for the office, but a veritable survival bag for the airports.

Years ago I used to carry something like this.

I stopped bothering to carry work home and dropped it.  Then it was just a soft lunch bag.

Never had to do the laptop back and forth thing.  Desktop at work and laptop at home.

Now I work from home, so no need for any of it.

I have this bag from Everki.  High quality.  Voted "other" since mine is a soft briefcase.  Tons of pockets.  TSA guys must shake their heads at the mass of cords, chargers, batteries, etc. I have stuffed in this one.  Superfluous for the office, but a veritable survival bag for the airports.
superflous is a must for my briefcase.  

I wear scrubs, backpack (Ogio).

I bring a tumi messenger bag to the rare meeting requiring suit/coat.

My guess is that geography plays into it. Here on the West Coast, it’s mostly back packs. But everything is more causal here. I’m sure in the NE where things are more formal, messenger bags and briefcases are more common. But so are suits and ties. 

On the rare occasions I have to go in to the office, TB2 laptop bag I got for free from 2k for being an "Insider" back in the Bioshock days. It actually says "2K Insider" on it. TBH, it probably cost way more than I would have been willing to spend on a bag for myself. It's pretty damn nice.

I don't hold my nose up at the backpack look, it is what it is and pretty accepted as normal professional gear everywhere.

Me, I've always used a messenger bag (put me in the camp wondering why these, and not one- or two-strap knapsacks, became known as messenger bags), as I think it's slightly more professional and much more functional, and you get a lot of utility and durability these days at low cost.

Currently have a 17" Ytonet travel laptop bag that has enough room for all the other things I need when traveling -- laptop, cords, external drive, my Kindle, noise-cancelling headphones, files, my travel bag (earplugs, wipes, eyeshade, adapters, portable battery, etc.). It's expandable and sturdily-built with dedicated pockets for a bunch of different items.

Looks good, has stood up to the rigors of my constant business travel, and was $32 bucks when I bought it.

I always find the backpack look on a grown man in business attire is pretty terrible. Like sandals with socks terrible. Though I get it’s a lot more functional. 

I go no bag. I carry my iPad Pro in my hand. That’s it. Since going all electronic documents, my commute is pretty pleasant.  The only way I have been able to imagine improving it is if I have some kind of magnet build into my suit jacket, so I can throw the iPad on my back like Captain America does with his shield, and then not even have to carry it. 

ETA: commuter train + subway commute 

Users who are viewing this thread