What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What was the last celebrity death you were genuinely upset about? (1 Viewer)

Richard Pryor

Dale Earnhardt

Tupac

Eazy-E

John Belushi

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say the last three that I felt anything about were David Foster Wallace, Ryan Dunn, and Jim Henson (two of whom have already been mentioned)
Was just scrolling through to see if anyone mentioned my two: most recent was Alex Chilton and before that was David Foster Wallace. Both were so unexpected that they were jarring and shocking and actually made me cry.

Johnny Carson, Charles Shultz, Dean Martin, John Belusi, Lucy

Jerry's death caused a rift in the universe

Last edited by a moderator:
Ebert because I enjoyed reading his reviews after each movie I saw, and knowing I wouldn't be able to anymore and my movie-going experience would be forever altered.

Jim Valvano. I remember being at NC State games, and V's energy just radiated off of him from the court. He had a joyfulness about him that was contagious. His death wasn't a surprise, because he had cancer, but that didn't lessen the sadness when he died.

I'd say the last three that I felt anything about were David Foster Wallace, Ryan Dunn, and Jim Henson (two of whom have already been mentioned)
Was just scrolling through to see if anyone mentioned my two: most recent was Alex Chilton and before that was David Foster Wallace. Both were so unexpected that they were jarring and shocking and actually made me cry.
Yeah, too soon. I did not know Chilton was the lead singer of the Box Tops. Oh, my. And extraordinarily shocking, in DFW's case. Sad. Selfishly -- and I admit it's selfish -- what really hurt was that I felt that the rest of us were left much worse off by his death. If you had a late-night conversation with someone, I'd want it to be DFW.

Yeah, too soon. I did not know Chilton was the lead singer of the Box Tops. Oh, my. And extraordinarily shocking, in DFW's case. Sad. Selfishly -- and I admit it's selfish -- what really hurt was that I felt that the rest of us were left much worse off by his death. If you had a late-night conversation with someone, I'd want it to be DFW.
Couldn't agree more with everything you've said. :(

Do you think DFW killed himself because he knew Jest wasn't as good as everyone tried to make it out to be, or because he knew his next book would be so bad that he would be exposed as a 1/2 trick pony?

Do you think DFW killed himself because he knew Jest wasn't as good as everyone tried to make it out to be, or because he knew his next book would be so bad that he would be exposed as a 1/2 trick pony?
1. gfym

2. I thought Jest was overrated, but "A suposedly fun thing I'll never do again" is the funniest essay I've ever read.

I think it was so people would stop asking him how Jest ended.

Dale Earnhardt was the only one where it sunk in. Otherwise, I agree with those saying it doesn't bother me.

Would have been fewer words for you to type if you had just said, "I didn't get it."

I don't see how anybody could have been all that surprised, though. Almost everything the man wrote was deeply depressed and full of existential turmoil.

River Phoenix, Brandon Lee, Jeff Buckley. I wasn't a huge fan of any of those guys, but they were so young and so talented it just seemed like a crime that their lives could be cut down so soon.

Would have been fewer words for you to type if you had just said, "I didn't get it."

I don't see how anybody could have been all that surprised, though. Almost everything the man wrote was deeply depressed and full of existential turmoil.
He had a quote along the lines of "I had a midlife crisis at 20, which probably doesn't bode well for my future." Incredibly sad, but unsurprising that he went out the way he did.

Daryl Kile's death really bummed me out.

To some degree Reagan bummed me out just because he was the first president I really knew about - born in 1968 so Johnson, Nixon, Ford and Carter were all around but I didn't pay attention to any of them.

Cobain's death was pretty bad.

My mom burned up in that Space Shuttle.
Our Jr High science teacher was a finalist for that spot. He was a total dork that was the favorite target for kids to make fun of. Looking back, we were incredibly cruel after the explosion in all our jokes about wishing he'd won the trip. The guy really cared about teaching and went out of his way to try and make it fun. He was just such a dork.

I honestly can say the Paul Walker one shook me. I love those stupid movies and watch them whenever they're on. To think he's just gone is weird. Not broken up about it but it made me stop and reflect.

A lot of them bother me, but most obviously the young ones who go before their time. So, Paul Walker's death disturbed me, and I still get very depressed about Heath Ledger and Brittany Murphy, and even though they were older, Phil Hartman and Brad Delp. Then there's Kevin Gilbert, a ridiculously talented musician. Some may not know who he was, but his terrible death in 1996 was such an enormous waste that it still makes me sad.

Oh I got it. Believe me I got it. And then I couldn't get rid of it.

Look how literate I am!!! I claim to understand all of Infinite Jest and will defend it against any criticism.

Yeah, even DFW wouldn't agree with this position.

Sad when stars from my youth pass. Sure I don't know them but they represent something to me. Several listed already but 2 not mentioned that really had me bummed was -Patrick Swayze and Jani Lane.

A lot of them bother me, but most obviously the young ones who go before their time. So, Paul Walker's death disturbed me, and I still get very depressed about Heath Ledger and Brittany

Murphy, and even though they were older, Phil Hartman and Brad Delp. Then there's Kevin Gilbert, a ridiculously talented musician. Some may not know who he was, but his terrible death in 1996 was such an enormous waste that it still

makes me sad.
Have you ever lost anyone you actually know and what type of state did that put you in? I'm just curious as Brittany Murphy's death gets you very depressed.

Users who are viewing this thread