What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What will be the result of this impeachment investigation? (3 Viewers)

What will be the result of this impeachment investigation?

• Total voters
I distinguish between delaying and withholding.  To truly withhold means they don't get it. 
Just discussing here but.... isn't that always the case? Someone gets caught at something improper or illegal and they immediately stop and put back whatever they were taking and say that they intended to put it back all along?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not factually wrong.  To delay is different than withheld.  To say he withheld it until August, would be accurate.  To say he withheld it period, not so accurate. 
It also amounts to the same thing to say - I was just delaying the aid until I got what I wanted from the Ukrainians.

Just discussing here but.... isn't that always the case? Someone gets caught at something improper or illegal and they immediately stop and put back whatever they were taking and say that they intended to put it back all along?
He was legally obligated to do so before the end of the fiscal year unless there was some specific requirement which stated otherwise. 

He was legally obligated to do so before they end of the fiscal year unless there was some specific requirement which stated otherwise. 
But that's just it, he did not meet any specific requirement. All agencies required to certify did so, upon that the president was obligated to release the aid.

To delay giving aid until September 11 is literally the exact same thing as to withhold aid until September 11.
Yes.  But you must say 'until September 11th'  simply withhold would imply he never gave it.  The analogy here is not stealing.  The better analogy could be complaining about not getting a Christmas gift on December 15th.  

Yes.  But you must say 'until September 11th'  simply withhold would imply he never gave it.  The analogy here is not stealing.  The better analogy could be complaining about not getting a Christmas gift on December 15th.  
I’d say more “Hey tiny tim we have your gift right here you just need to do me a personal favor would be a shame if all this got lost you sure do look hungry”

ETA: most importantly this gift isn’t Trump’s personal bargaining chip to use as a gun to the head to an ally to investigate tinhat conspiracy stuff that benefits his re-election.

To be clear we have accepted that this was happening at Trump’s direction and are now just in the weeds about how bad it was?
This was always where this was heading.  Deny deny deny, deflect deflect deflect.  SOP theses days.  

I don't see how the 2 things you highlighted are in opposition.

Congress not just the Dems appropriated 400 million in military aide to Ukraine. Only a few dozen people voted against it Congress. That means Jim Jordan and Nunes agreed with Maxine Waters on something that is in itself crazy.

Trump held it up the money as leverage to get the Ukraine Prez to say they were investigating Joe Biden so he could have some BS one liner to run against Biden in 2020.

It's not a circus, it's very simple.
Allegedly - that's what is being accused even though specifically Trump said that wasn't what was being done. There is no proof of that happening, only hearsay and wildly incontestably assumptions.

You are typing it like its fact - it isn't. 

Its a fiasco, its a mockery and the Democrats look like fools pursuing it

Allegedly - that's what is being accused even though specifically Trump said that wasn't what was being done. There is no proof of that happening, only hearsay and wildly incontestably assumptions.

Trump saying he didn’t do this means nothing. Why do you accept that as some typnof proof he didn’t order all this when presented everything last week? Guilty people say they are innocent all the time.

Trump’s own people testified they were working under the direction from Rudy to make this all happen. Trump said work with Rudy. Sondland said everyone knew it was common knowledge. 

If you want to go with Rudy just conjured this all up by himself then we need to hear from him, no? 

Well my friend I think you’re factually wrong there.
What I believe he's saying is (in your own analogy from above): He put the money back in the till (after he was caught but before it should have been counted at the end of the day), therefore he didn't steal

What I believe he's saying is (in your own analogy from above): He put the money back in the till (after he was caught but before it should have been counted at the end of the day), therefore he didn't steal
I understand that, and I get the idea, which I think Jon was suggesting, is if the Dems or WB had waited until after the final date then they could have said ah-ha, no getting out of this one. - But the way it works is that the WB blew the whistle when it happened. Once someone sees a crime happening they're obligated to stop it, and that's what happened here. Trump was stopped. But that's also why we have 'attempted' crimes. 

I understand that, and I get the idea, which I think Jon was suggesting, is if the Dems or WB had waited until after the final date then they could have said ah-ha, no getting out of this one. - But the way it works is that the WB blew the whistle when it happened. Once someone sees a crime happening they're obligated to stop it, and that's what happened here. Trump was stopped. But that's also why we have 'attempted' crimes. 
Yes, it's a disingenious argument

Sigh.

There is lots of proof/evidence it happened - 

1) The psuedo transcript of the phone call; 

2) The lots and lots of tesimony; and

3) The statements of Mulvany and Giuliani.

To just name 3 categories.

A lot of people accused of crimes say they didn’t do it. That’s usually not enough to avoid standing trial.

Trump saying he didn’t do this means nothing. Why do you accept that as some typnof proof he didn’t order all this when presented everything last week? Guilty people say they are innocent all the time.

Trump’s own people testified they were working under the direction from Rudy to make this all happen. Trump said work with Rudy. Sondland said everyone knew it was common knowledge. 

If you want to go with Rudy just conjured this all up by himself then we need to hear from him, no? 
"Quid pro quo" is a Latin phrase. It means roughly "this for that." In other words, the phrase describes the context when something is given in return for something else. The phrase means the same thing as the English saying "a ### for a tat", or trading something for something else.

Didn't you say that Dem's and Rep's both were voting to give Ukraine money? If they did (and they did) then Trump never offered money in exchange for anything. Did Trump successfully hold back any of the money? Unknown and if he somehow did the why would be guessing and not provable but either way, that's not QPQ is it ?

Trump never offered anything for Ukraine to investigate. True fact

Sigh.

There is lots of proof/evidence it happened - 

1) The psuedo transcript of the phone call; 

2) The lots and lots of tesimony; and

3) The statements of Mulvany and Giuliani.

To just name 3 categories.
that WHAT happened? 

not QPQ that never happened did it ?  That Trump asked about former VP Biden using his power and position to get his son a cushy consulting job? Yes Trump asked that. High Govt officials communicate with others and asking for things happen. I'm not naive enough to think it doesn't. 

"Quid pro quo" is a Latin phrase. It means roughly "this for that." In other words, the phrase describes the context when something is given in return for something else. The phrase means the same thing as the English saying "a ### for a tat", or trading something for something else.

Didn't you say that Dem's and Rep's both were voting to give Ukraine money? If they did (and they did) then Trump never offered money in exchange for anything. Did Trump successfully hold back any of the money? Unknown and if he somehow did the why would be guessing and not provable but either way, that's not QPQ is it ?

Trump never offered anything for Ukraine to investigate. True fact
He held back money, he was caught. His people admitted this was the plan at the direction of his personal attorney. Thanks to the WB and testimony of life long diplomats when know this. true patriots there. Ironically his crony Sondland gave some of the most compelling info.

If you want to act like it’s not illegal that’s fine and good luck with that but don’t diminish the hearings and all the information that has been presented as a circus. 

He held back money, he was caught. His people admitted this was the plan at the direction of his personal attorney. Thanks to the WB and testimony of life long diplomats when know this. true patriots there. Ironically his crony Sondland gave some of the most compelling info.

If you want to act like it’s not illegal that’s fine and good luck with that but don’t diminish the hearings and all the information that has been presented as a circus. 
Sondland's 'most compelling info' was he just assumed it was and that really is the best you got.  

He and the team Trump placed in charge of this were being directed by Giuliani. Trump said you work through Rudy.
Yes, and his compelling theory that the aid was in fact tied to the investigation was just something he 'came to believe'.  The lynchpin of the whole impeachment rests on something that is merely a presumption and a belief with no actual knowledge that it is a fact. 

Yes, and his compelling theory that the aid was in fact tied to the investigation was just something he 'came to believe'.  The lynchpin of the whole impeachment rests on something that is merely a presumption and a belief with no actual knowledge that it is a fact. 
Mulvaney admitted it on live TV. Also, it’s in the call summary.

Trump was dim enough to “ask for a favor”.

Its all there minus Trump asking for this while holding a newspaper with the date on it.

Mulvaney admitted it on live TV. Also, it’s in the call summary.
Hmmm...the call summary talked about investigations including Hunter among others.  But nothing that clearly tied the Biden investigation to the aid.  Certainly if you read between the lines you can reach that conclusion.  

Hmmm...the call summary talked about investigations including Hunter among others.  But nothing that clearly tied the Biden investigation to the aid.  Certainly if you read between the lines you can reach that conclusion.  
And the server! The president thinks there’s a rich guy in the Ukraine with a server with Hillary’s emails. This alone should frighten you enough to impeach :lol:

A favor does not sound like a contingency.  
Yeah that was done by his personal attorney and his hand picked team.

We have been led down this path to Rudy or Trump (since he’s considering testifying and all) it’s one of these two. Could clear this up in a couple days. Let’s say in early January. 

And the server! The president thinks there’s a rich guy in the Ukraine with a server with Hillary’s emails. This alone should frighten you enough to impeach :lol:
Trump's intelligence and demeanor makes him easy to beat.  The Dems would have a double digit lead if they focused on mainstream issues.  Instead they are spending all their capital on a fruitless impeachment effort and are running neck to neck instead. 

Trump's intelligence and demeanor makes him easy to beat.  The Dems would have a double digit lead if they focused on mainstream issues.  Instead they are spending all their capital on a fruitless impeachment effort and are running neck to neck instead. 
Agreed Dems are bad at the whole getting elected thing.

This process however is worthwhile IMO. Smart people arguing semantics about things being withheld versus held hostage, that Trump said he didn’t do it so it’s all good, etc are troubling and disappointing.

Agreed Dems are bad at the whole getting elected thing.

This process however is worthwhile IMO. Smart people arguing semantics about things being withheld versus held hostage, that Trump said he didn’t do it so it’s all good, etc are troubling and disappointing.
Again, this thread has gotten way off track--we have plenty of threads to discuss the impeachment details. 

That being said, everyone believes the Republicans will pay for defending Trump, but there is that contrarian question that can be asked is will the Dems feel a backlash for focusing on Trump-the man, and not addressing issues the people elected them to address? Maybe the continued decline in public support for impeachment is a reflection of this? 

This impeachment. no matter how justified/unjustified people believe it is, is a road to nowhere and the ending is a foregone conclusion. I am not judging whether it was a worthwhile trip (that is for the other threads), but there can't be one of you that actually believes Trump is gone after this--is there?  

I see the stories about this unexpected doctor visit and the conspiracy theories that maybe this is an "out" for Trump to resign-I could believe it. I really could. The more cynical part of me believes this is just a way for the left leaning MSM to get under Trump's skin for appearing weak and unhealthy. .

Just some food for thought.   

Again, this thread has gotten way off track--we have plenty of threads to discuss the impeachment details. 

That being said, everyone believes the Republicans will pay for defending Trump, but there is that contrarian question that can be asked is will the Dems feel a backlash for focusing on Trump-the man, and not addressing issues the people elected them to address? Maybe the continued decline in public support for impeachment is a reflection of this? 

This impeachment. no matter how justified/unjustified people believe it is, is a road to nowhere and the ending is a foregone conclusion. I am not judging whether it was a worthwhile trip (that is for the other threads), but there can't be one of you that actually believes Trump is gone after this--is there?  

I see the stories about this unexpected doctor visit and the conspiracy theories that maybe this is an "out" for Trump to resign-I could believe it. I really could. The more cynical part of me believes this is just a way for the left leaning MSM to get under Trump's skin for appearing weak and unhealthy. .

Just some food for thought.   
Even if I accepted the notion that the mainstream media is to be considered a liberal entity (which I don’t, but we’ve had that debate before) that still doesn’t mean that they are deliberate in the nature of their reporting to the extent that you imply here.

But putting that aside, it seems to me that should Trump survive impeachment (and at this juncture there’s no reason to assume he won’t) then it there are really only two options with regard to its effect on the election: it will hurt him a lot or it will hurt him a little. I lean towards the former. It’s impossible for me to believe that it will help him. The only people who would be motivated to vote for Trump as a result of him being impeached are those who are already highly motivated to vote for him. For everybody else, even those who think this whole thing is a waste of time, they’re not going to vote for Trump as some sort of punishment to the Democrats. That sort of thing may sound good in theory but in real life people simply don’t act that way. 

Users who are viewing this thread