What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would you do with 3k as a bonus? (1 Viewer)

i also have an annual bonus, due to hit the account at the end of august...

bills, savings, daughter's college fund, and i am looking at new/used cars

Not quite sure what your budget is, tolerance for risk, how long you want to keep the vehicle or whether you value performance or looks more. You can get an awesome performing car buying a new WRX and spending 10-15k at a reputable aftermarket shop and have something that blows any thing away that costs within ~30k of it and is also quite reliable. There are people out there that put 80-100k miles on their WRX that also put out 400 WHP(530 engine HP). The downside is it looks like a Sedan, the porsche does look cooler.

Alot of what goes into purchasing a toy in this price range is all about personal preference.

What I would choose for me would definitely be different than what you would choose. I would probably get the Corolla GR if I purchased another fun car right now. But I like hot hatches.

The cayman is a fun looking car, although it is not much better in performance than the 86/BRZ, unless you go for the S model. However the S model adds quite a bit to the cost. If you care more about looks than performance though the Cayman might be up your alley.

New:
Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ - 33k- pretty fun to drive and will hold its value quite well
WRX - 33k
Toyota Corolla GR 40k
Civic Type R 47k
Golf R - 47k

Used
early 2000's 911 of course - ~40k
Cayman mid 2015's with low miles - ~42k
Cayman S mid 2015s with 65-80k miles - 45k

If the default answer is to blow it....

With the wife still going through cancer treatments with the end not too far off... I would invest it in her some way. Maybe a long weekend where the two of us get away.... or maybe plan a weekend of pampering stuff for her. Not exactly sure but something along those lines. She deserves it.

ETA: The end of the treaments that is. I reread that and it could come off the way wrong way.
Nevermind... just got back from the orthodontist. It would go to paying for not even half of my daughters braces. :hot:

I just received some fantastic news yesterday– I got a new annual bonus at work! 🎉 Now, I'm curious about how to make the most of it.

So, what would you do with a work bonus? (Expecting answers on how to blow it 😂)

You probably don't want to hear this but...

Did they withhold taxes? If not, save some for April.
Do you have any credit card debt?
Are you on target to max out your 401(k) and IRA?
Killjoy

My bad. This month, I'm facing a 5k bill for my daughter's braces and 15k for my son's first semester of college. And I'm going to pay them and be totally fine with it, because 15 years ago we really got serious about making better financial decisions, paying off debt, and saving money. Just passing on advice.

I just received some fantastic news yesterday– I got a new annual bonus at work! 🎉 Now, I'm curious about how to make the most of it.

So, what would you do with a work bonus? (Expecting answers on how to blow it 😂)

Killjoy

My bad. This month, I'm facing a 5k bill for my daughter's braces and 15k for my son's first semester of college. And I'm going to pay them and be totally fine with it, because 15 years ago we really got serious about making better financial decisions, paying off debt, and saving money. Just passing on advice.
I'm with you... I'm also a killjoy when it comes to this type of stuff.

But holy crap 30k a year for college...

Killjoy

I'm with you... I'm also a killjoy when it comes to this type of stuff.

But holy crap 30k a year for college...

Actually it looks like I made that number up. I think it's 22k a year. And that's in-state and after a scholarship applied.

Congratulations!

I'd buy guns and ammo. My wife would disagree so you'd really need to ask her what I would do with it.

I have tried to use the following advice when it comes to compensation throughout my career:

Salary - Used for day-to-day expenses, bills, tuition for child etc. with the rest going into savings
Bonuses - Special occasion-type spending for things that you usually wouldn't purchase just based on your salary - a special vacation e.g. safari or something exotic, a new car/boat, hot-tub, remodel/addition to home
Equity - Used to build wealth for retirement

I understand that many people don't have the opportunity for bonuses and/or equity but thankfully I have and try to spend and invest wisely. I don't like surprises either now or in the future.

what I would do with $3k is probably different than what you would do. I would put it towards our debt. It’s horse show season and my daughter just got braces. Money is tight right now and I couldn’t spend the bonus on anything fun at the moment. Spend some of it on something fun.

Enjoy the bonus though. I worked with a chemistry teacher who left his auto related chemical engineering related career to become a teacher and he joked that in his former job, his Christmas bonus would be enough to buy a hot tub or take the family to NYC for a weekend. His Christmas bonus as a teacher is a candy cane in his mailbox. Though, it's all good because he is an amazing teacher and said he's 100x happier teaching despite the loss in income.
I think it's because I've not had this amount of money before. It feels nice to have some breathing room / unsure if index funds are a smart investment.

Obviously @shuke advice is correct though

For context, I make 80k in MA as a librarian (single, live with roommates)

Users who are viewing this thread