What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would you do with 3k as a bonus? (1 Viewer)

Get yourself something you want but would never spend the money on:

Blackstone Grill
Fishing Kayak
Golf clubs
Stereo System

Etc…..
Yep. Golf equipment for me for sure (assuming no outstanding bills accruing interest that need to be paid at the time) or there's this picture of my son and I walking on the golf course that I have a $2500 quote to have painted. Actually with the $3k I'd probably do that and just give the guy the remainder as a tip.

My ex-wife would’ve had that spent 3x before I even knew I was getting a bonus.

edit: but single, not having to keep fixing cars for my college kids me, would start with something that automatically makes those sweet, clear cubes for my bourbon (and probably actually spent more than $40 for a bottle of something I wouldnt go for in a million years.)

I just received some fantastic news yesterday– I got a new annual bonus at work! 🎉 Now, I'm curious about how to make the most of it.

So, what would you do with a work bonus? (Expecting answers on how to blow it 😂)

You probably don't want to hear this but...

Did they withhold taxes? If not, save some for April.
Do you have any credit card debt?
Are you on target to max out your 401(k) and IRA?

I just received some fantastic news yesterday– I got a new annual bonus at work! 🎉 Now, I'm curious about how to make the most of it.

So, what would you do with a work bonus? (Expecting answers on how to blow it 😂)

This

Invest it

This

Invest it
This is obviously excellent advice for most people, and it's what 30-year-old me would have done. But a lot of us old-timers on this board are reaching that point in our life cycle where we should hopefully be in a financial position where we can live a little if we come into a small windfall like this.

Of course, I'd unquestionably tell my kids to definitely invest this. $3K is quite a bit of money to sock away in one chunk when you're in your 20s.

GTFO

What a buzzkill

If your savings, etc. are all in good shape... Maybe a new TV just in time for football season. Fall is also a great time to look at grills/smokers and lawn equipment if you need upgrades. Golf clubs or other hobby items could also be considered.

I'm about to drop 3k on a new mattress/foundation. So, you could buy that for me as well.

I get a bonus every year on my last check of August. We use about half to to go on a vacation in the fall, we take about a 1/4 and then take the other 1/4 and save it for a rainy day. If that rainy day doesn't come before my bonus then we invest it.

If the default answer is to blow it....

With the wife still going through cancer treatments with the end not too far off... I would invest it in her some way. Maybe a long weekend where the two of us get away.... or maybe plan a weekend of pampering stuff for her. Not exactly sure but something along those lines. She deserves it.

ETA: The end of the treaments that is. I reread that and it could come off the way wrong way.

Last edited:

The right answer for 90% of Americans which they don't want to hear.

Killjoy

I get a bonus every year on my last check of August. We use about half to to go on a vacation in the fall, we take about a 1/4 and then take the other 1/4 and save it for a rainy day. If that rainy day doesn't come before my bonus then we invest it.

i also have an annual bonus, due to hit the account at the end of august...

bills, savings, daughter's college fund, and i am looking at new/used cars @shuke @MTskibum @Mister CIA @dkp993

This

Invest it
This is obviously excellent advice for most people, and it's what 30-year-old me would have done. But a lot of us old-timers on this board are reaching that point in our life cycle where we should hopefully be in a financial position where we can live a little if we come into a small windfall like this.

Of course, I'd unquestionably tell my kids to definitely invest this. $3K is quite a bit of money to sock away in one chunk when you're in your 20s.

:yes: at this point, the $3k is either paying for a week at the beach or towards a new fence and yard work. But yeah, I’d insist my kids put at least half in their Roth IRA or regular brokerage.

Enjoy the bonus though. I worked with a chemistry teacher who left his auto related chemical engineering related career to become a teacher and he joked that in his former job, his Christmas bonus would be enough to buy a hot tub or take the family to NYC for a weekend. His Christmas bonus as a teacher is a candy cane in his mailbox. Though, it's all good because he is an amazing teacher and said he's 100x happier teaching despite the loss in income.

Users who are viewing this thread