What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whatcha readin now? (book, books, reading, read) (1 Viewer)

In the right thread now. Anyone read the Sky King Ranch serious? Just finished them and absolutely loved every one. I come from a military family and also work with the military, so it was right up my alley. It's considered Christian fiction as well, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Current read is Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead. It is an updated version of Dickens' David Copperfield, set in Appalachia.
How are you liking this so far? It keeps popping up as a recommendation for me, but I've never read any of Kingsolver's stuff before and haven't pulled the trigger.
Missed this post earlier. Really enjoyed Demon Copperhead. Worthy of the praise that it got as one of the best books of the year -- can definitely see the influences of Dickens throughout (not necessary to read or enjoy David Copperfield; really just some similar themes updated for the 21st century).

I haven't read any of Kingsolver's earlier, but interested to read more.

Some that I've read recently...

Age of Vice by Deepti Kapoor - This one was released in January with some hype and billed as similar to an Indian "The Godfather" (crime/family saga set in New Delhi). It was quickly picked up by F/X for a TV series. Solid, but maybe disappointed due to some of the hype. Felt a hair too long; she decided to convert it to a trilogy, and maybe could have kept it slimmer.

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann - Got this one in before the release of the Scorcese movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Robert de Niro in a couple of months. Really good book. I enjoyed Grann's The Lost City of Z -- similarly detailed reporting that leaves you in wonder. Twists and turns beyond what I usually expect out of a nonfiction book.

The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz - Wife read this one and recommended it to me (and, hey, she already owned so free to me). Novel about a plot that a writer steals from his student, and the consequences of those actions. It was alright; it seemed like it was supposed to be set up for the reveal at the end to be suspenseful because readers of the book set within the book keep talking about how they did not the twist coming, but it was kind of obvious to me what was coming. I don't mind predictable stuff, but seemed incongruous with how the author was setting it up like there was going to be something shocking.

Just started Daisy Jones and The Six. Been meaning to read it and thought would do so before watching the series.

For those of you into graphic novels, I just finished the first 4 volumes of the The Department of Truth (James Tynion):
1. The End of the World
2. The City Upon a Hill
3. Free Country
4. The Ministry of Lies

Basically, the premise is that if enough people believe something (e.g., Bigfoot, flat earth), it becomes reality. Horror, intrigue and mystery ensue.

Read Matt Haig’s The Midnight Library. It was pretty popular when it came out, and seemed to get some praise, so I thought it could not be that bad. But I was not a fan. Theme is about regrets — maybe supposed to be one of those feel-good type of stories. Just felt kind of shallow, characters not that well-developed, and full of empty platitudes.

Just started Philip Roth’s American Pastoral. One of Roth’s that I haven’t read yet.

East of Eden. Kindle edition available for $1.99 right now. Grabbed Devil in the White City for $1.99 as well, even though I've read it.

Just started Philip Roth’s American Pastoral. One of Roth’s that I haven’t read yet.
American Pastoral was really good. Up there with Portnoy’s Complaint in my favorite Roth novels — a pretty different book from that one though.

Now on Quentin Tarantino’s Cinema Speculation. Tarantino taking through some of his favorite films from the 1970s. It has a bit of a rapid fire feel like it is a Tarantino film in book form. Anyway, if you love films, and, if like Tarantino, worth checking out.

Defending Jacob - William Landay

I really enjoyed this. One of the best "legal thrillers" i've read in a long while.

Description:

Andy Barber has been an assistant district attorney in his suburban Massachusetts county for more than twenty years. He is respected in his community, tenacious in the courtroom, and happy at home with his wife, Laurie, and son, Jacob. But when a shocking crime shatters their New England town, Andy is blindsided by what happens next: His fourteen-year-old son is charged with the murder of a fellow student.

Every parental instinct Andy has rallies to protect his boy. Jacob insists that he is innocent, and Andy believes him. Andy must. He’s his father. But as damning facts and shocking revelations surface, as a marriage threatens to crumble and the trial intensifies, as the crisis reveals how little a father knows about his son, Andy will face a trial of his own—between loyalty and justice, between truth and allegation, between a past he’s tried to bury and a future he cannot conceive.

Award-winning author William Landay has written the consummate novel of an embattled family in crisis—a suspenseful, character-driven mystery that is also a spellbinding tale of guilt, betrayal, and the terrifying speed at which our lives can spin out of control.
Halfway through this. Excellent writing so far.
Edit: Just finished this. Highly recommend it. Better than any mass market legal thrillers (Grisham, Connelly, ect) I can recall.

Last edited:
Just finished
Three Ordinary Girls: The Remarkable Story of Three Dutch Teenagers Who Became Spies, Saboteurs, Nazi Assassins–and WWII Heroes by Tom Brady
This is currently available for free with Prime Reading.
I enjoy historical, especially military related, nonfiction. A pretty quick read, under 300 pages, about 3 young women and their involvement in the resistance in the Netherlands during WW2. I'm always impressed with the courage and bravery that people can demonstrate in such situations. I think this book is a great example.

Last Exit - Max Gladstone. Fiction about a group of friends who tried to save the world when they were in college and lost one of their crew. Ten years later, the survivors reunite to try again. That's an idiotic description and doesn't begin to do this novel justice. I'd never read Gladstone before. He is fantastic with his characters. There are several gut punches in this one that ####ed me up, man. Highly recommended.
Picked this up and am about halfway through. Really enjoyed Gladstone's (and, to be fair, Amal El-Mohtar's) This Is How You Lose the Time War, which is fantastic.

Still waiting on the gut punches :shock:

I seem to be on a books about movies kick after the Tarantino one… now reading Michael Schulman’s Oscar Wars: A History of Hollywood in Gold, Sweat, and Tears. About the history of the Oscars, starting from formation to present day, highlighting some of the big moments and controversies over the years. Pretty interesting read, particularly if you enjoy the Golden Age stuff, as a lot about Bette Davis, de Havilland/Fontaine feud, etc.

Just finished a few books I chose based on posts in this thread

Last Exit - Max Gladstone
Solid book. I haven't looked but feels like the first book in a series.

The Cabin at the End of the World - Paul Tremblay
I liked this a lot; 'twas the feel good book of the year. Seriously though, I love it when the plot zigs when I expect a zag and I applaud the author for some brave choices.

Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel
Loved this book. They should turn it into a series!
I got a David Mitchell vibe when reading it (not any one book in particular, more like all of them).

I've got the Howey's Silo series teed up, but I'd definitely read more from these authors.

In the right thread now. Anyone read the Sky King Ranch serious? Just finished them and absolutely loved every one. I come from a military family and also work with the military, so it was right up my alley. It's considered Christian fiction as well, which I thoroughly enjoy.
I just checked in and you were the top of the page
Glad to see you in here, I need to try and start reading more
I drink too much and need some better outlets, comforting to find you in here.

For those of you into graphic novels, I just finished the first 4 volumes of the The Department of Truth (James Tynion):
1. The End of the World
2. The City Upon a Hill
3. Free Country
4. The Ministry of Lies

Basically, the premise is that if enough people believe something (e.g., Bigfoot, flat earth), it becomes reality. Horror, intrigue and mystery ensue.
The Ministry of Lies sounds mighty interesting
When is the last time I got to post back and forth with you?

Good to see you Kupcho
Hope all is well

1. The End of the World
2. The City Upon a Hill
3. Free Country
4. The Ministry of Lies

The Ministry of Lies sounds mighty interesting
When is the last time I got to post back and forth with you?

Good to see you Kupcho
Hope all is well
Too damn long, but at least we're both still on the right side of the dirt. :D

Just finished
Three Ordinary Girls: The Remarkable Story of Three Dutch Teenagers Who Became Spies, Saboteurs, Nazi Assassins–and WWII Heroes by Tom Brady
This is currently available for free with Prime Reading.
I enjoy historical, especially military related, nonfiction. A pretty quick read, under 300 pages, about 3 young women and their involvement in the resistance in the Netherlands during WW2. I'm always impressed with the courage and bravery that people can demonstrate in such situations. I think this book is a great example.
seems up my alley. I like non-fiction historical stuff. Especially ones written by SuperBowl MVPs.

Last Exit - Max Gladstone

Tell me more.
Can't take credit for this find, @Uruk-Hai posted on it originally. To wit:
"Fiction about a group of friends who tried to save the world when they were in college and lost one of their crew. Ten years later, the survivors reunite to try again. That's an idiotic description and doesn't begin to do this novel justice. I'd never read Gladstone before. He is fantastic with his characters. There are several gut punches in this one that ####ed me up, man. Highly recommended."

I think he liked it a lot more than I did. :)
My only nit pick with it was how solipsistic the characters were, particularly how they constantly reiterated how they were feeling. There did not seem to be a lot of empathy between these "friends", but maybe that's what Gladstone was going for. In any case, it rubbed me the wrong way.

Has anyone in here read Rabbit, Run? Is it worth it or is it too dated?
I read it when it not all that long after it came out (relatively speaking) which is quite a long time ago, so yeah its dated in terms of references and whatnot.

But Updike's writing is great. I'd recommend reading it.

(Sequels are pretty good too.)

A Visit From The Goon Squad - I absolutely loved this book, but not sure I could tell you really what happened. I had some trouble keeping track of all the connections. But between this and The Keep, I am now a huge fan of Jennifer Egan. On to Goon Squad sequel, The Candy House.

Last edited:
A Visit From The Goon Squad - I absolutely loved this book, but not sure I could tell you really what happened. I had some trouble keeping track of all the connections. But between this and The Keep, I am not a huge fan of Jennifer Egan. On to Goon Squad sequel, The Candy House.
:shuked:

A Visit From The Goon Squad - I absolutely loved this book, but not sure I could tell you really what happened. I had some trouble keeping track of all the connections. But between this and The Keep, I am not a huge fan of Jennifer Egan. On to Goon Squad sequel, The Candy House.

Typo. Meant to say "I am now a huge fan".
I enjoyed Manhattan Beach by her too.

Typo. Meant to say "I am now a huge fan".
I enjoyed Manhattan Beach by her too.
I celebrate the guy's entire catalog.

In honor of our soon to be AI overlords I reread Robopocalypse by Daniel H Wilson. Cool, fun sci-fi novel, unless you're actually staring down the face of a Robopocalypse, in which case not as fun. But still kinda fun. Incidentally, the author is also a robotics engineer with a PHD from Carnegie Mellon, so when he says the robots are taking over, I freaking believe him.

Now rereading Blood Meridian by master storyteller Cormac McCarthy. The Judge is one of my favorite all time villains. No one writes like Cormac.

Now that book 6 is coming out in July I'm revisiting the first 5 books of Dungeon Crawler Carl. Listening this time instead of reading. There is actually a good bit of detail in the first couple of books that keep popping up (more complex than you'd think of the genre).

Still absolutely hysterical. I'm the idiot in the car you look at driving who's laughing his *** off for no apparent reason. Love these books. 11/10.

Last edited:
Anyone have recommendations on books about the Opium Wars?
Tai-Pan by James Clavell.
Read that as a very young man, don’t think I had enough appreciation of the setting. Might be worth a reread after some nonfiction reading on the subject. I loved King Rat and Shogun. I can’t shake the image of a bore hole death from King Rat, absolutely terrifying.

I have not read Whirlwind, need to pick that up at the local used book store.

Anyone have recommendations on books about the Opium Wars?
Tai-Pan by James Clavell.
Read that as a very young man, don’t think I had enough appreciation of the setting. Might be worth a reread after some nonfiction reading on the subject. I loved King Rat and Shogun. I can’t shake the image of a bore hole death from King Rat, absolutely terrifying.

I have not read Whirlwind, need to pick that up at the local used book store.
Taipan and Noble House are both better than Whirlwind. But you need to read Taipan before Noble House.

I'm rereading David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest for the... I don't even know how many times now.

I was prompted for another reread by the Middle Age Dummies thread and my choice of the Decemberists (all will be made clear). I just finished the first chapter. The writing is brilliant and although the reader is dropped into an extremely confusing situation, there are clues there (and perhaps a red herring as well). There's also some foreshadowing and so many characters are provided with insightful dialogue and description it is almost impossible to believe.

Damn I love this book.

Currently reading Outlive by Peter Attia. Frankly that one needs its own thread. Next up is Freedom's Forge - how the US geared up manufacturing for WWII.

I know I'm late to the game but I have been thinking about getting a Kindle. I'm the dork that continues to go to the library to get actual books but figured it was time to make the shift to an e-reader considering my library has quite a few books available in those versions versus hard copy.

I missed out on the Amazon Prime Day sale and since I haven't had one before, I figured I would buy something used via eBay (or if one of y'all want to offload an old one that you have). I noticed that there are 11+ versions/generations of the Kindle Paperweight out there. How far back do I want to go without sacrificing functionality versus cost?

I'm now listening (already read) the first five books of Dungeon Crawler Carl. Still absolutely ****ing hysterical. Book 6 is out and I'm renewing my memory before devouring that one.

-------

I missed out on the Amazon Prime Day sale and since I haven't had one before, I figured I would buy something used via eBay (or if one of y'all want to offload an old one that you have). I noticed that there are 11+ versions/generations of the Kindle Paperweight out there. How far back do I want to go without sacrificing functionality versus cost?
I'd just aim for the current regular paperwhite. The new signature one is overkill (they put 32GB in there - I have a zillion books in the 8GB one), unless you really want wireless charging. A charge lasts weeks, so not sure why the draw. I do like the bigger screen on the new one rather than the 2022 one.

It should go on sale at the least near Thanksgiving.

Recently finished Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane (Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, etc). Now reading John Sandford’s Dark Angel .

Enjoyed/ing both

I know I'm late to the game but I have been thinking about getting a Kindle. I'm the dork that continues to go to the library to get actual books but figured it was time to make the shift to an e-reader considering my library has quite a few books available in those versions versus hard copy.

I bought my current one in 2015 and is still working fine.

Light Bringer in the Red Rising series came out this week, 132 pages in not bad so far. Read the last book back in 2019ish so it takes a little bit of reading the synopses of the previous books to remember who all these Roman named characters are.

So I followed up Station Eleven with The Glass Hotel and Sea of Tranquility.
Wow!
Amazing books. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I read them in the order listed above and recommend you do the same. There are characters that show up more than once, and there are "anti-Easter eggs" sprinkled throughout. (I think I just made up that term, and I don't want to define it as it might spoil things.)

So I followed up Station Eleven with The Glass Hotel and Sea of Tranquility.
Wow!
Amazing books. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I read them in the order listed above and recommend you do the same. There are characters that show up more than once, and there are "anti-Easter eggs" sprinkled throughout. (I think I just made up that term, and I don't want to define it as it might spoil things.)
Enjoyed all three of these a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread