What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's going to happen with Chester Taylor? (1 Viewer)

houndirish

Footballguy
I really need to get a good angle on Taylor's situation. I have the opportunity to acquire him via trade but am curious where he'll end up. If I had to guess I'd say the Ravens will keep him over Lewis but that's an awfully shaky theory. Has anybody heard of any teams showing an interest in him?

I think a team may bring him in to compete for the starting role, but I don't see him being handed the keys a la Lamont Jordan. Taylor's value seemed higher going into this season than it is now, as evidenced by the Browns trying to sign him away in the offseason.

I was bored in a meeting a few minutes ago and listed the stuff I have to track this offseason just for the offensive players on my two Zealots teams:Where do they end up?Chester Taylor Maurice Morris David Garrard Philip Rivers Patrick RamseyHow's their rehab?Carson PalmerDonovan McNabbChad PenningtonRashaun WoodsTerrence MurphyMusa SmithEric JohnsonKevin EverettTeam RB situations:GB (AGreen and Gado)ATL (Duckett)JAX (Jones and Taylor)BAL (Taylor and Musa)IND (Edge and Rhodes)SF (Gore)Does Favre retire? (Rodgers, Nall)I don't think anyone knows the answer to any of these, with the possible exception of Everett's and McNabb's rehab.

Well, for starter, you can probably rule Cleveland out, at least as a place for a starting gig. Phil Savage pursued Taylor last offseason, but he has already said locking down Reuben Droughns long term is a top priority for the offseason.As far as his Baltimore prospects, Im hearing more than the Ravens might franchise Jamal Lewis and see what happens next year before making a decision on his long term future in Baltimore.Taylor may have a tough time finding a starting gig with the incoming class of RBs and free agent options like DeShaun Foster and Ahman Green out there in addition to SA and Edge. Assuming all the big name FAs return to their teams, there will be very few teams looking for a starting RB this offseason that don't address this need in the draft.

I think Rivers will be gone... Possibly Miami. Chester Taylor stays I think, and Jamal gets the tag for 1 year, if he doesn't produce next year, he's gone. Pennington is in trouble I think. Ahman is gone... don't forget about Najeh. I think Najeh/Gado/Fischer can handle the load. Indy has alot of cap problems, I don't see how they can retain Edge, even though I think they would really like to. Gore is the RB next year.... Barlow has had his chance.... he's all talk. My 2 cents. Who really cares about Musa Smith... how many NFL carries has he had? 20 maybe? I think people can get a good value for Eric Johnson, but you better have a backup TE in place.What about O Smith? Where does he end up?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was bored in a meeting a few minutes ago and listed the stuff I have to track this offseason just for the offensive players on my two Zealots teams:

Where do they end up?

Chester Taylor

Maurice Morris

David Garrard

Philip Rivers

Patrick Ramsey

How's their rehab?

Carson Palmer

Donovan McNabb

Chad Pennington

Rashaun Woods

Terrence Murphy

Musa Smith

Eric Johnson

Kevin Everett

Team RB situations:

GB (AGreen and Gado)

ATL (Duckett)

JAX (Jones and Taylor)

BAL (Taylor and Musa)

IND (Edge and Rhodes)

SF (Gore)

Does Favre retire? (Rodgers, Nall)

I don't think anyone knows the answer to any of these, with the possible exception of Everett's and McNabb's rehab.
I think its safe to say Rivers stays a Charger in light of Brees injury. Garrard would only be gone via trade, and I have to think it would be a team that would start him. I have no idea what becomes of Morris. The skins decision on Ramsey should come down to how comfortable they feel about Campbell as a backup. As far as the RB situations, i would say that Gore has the inside track based on the glowing things Nolan said about him. Musa made it back to the field for a blink of an eye before going back to the IR. I was hopeful when he came back to the active roster, but seeing him inactivated so quickly makes me think that he'll never be the RB that he was projected to be when Baltimore drafted him, and a fantasy non-factor. Roy Williams strikes again. Jacksonville has already made noise about using the RBBC again next year with Jones/Taylor/Pearman/Toefield (Toe is an RFA). I expect Edge to be back with Indy. Green's status with GB is too hard to call without knowing who their coach will be. Dunn/Duckett should continue their current split (if it ain't broke...).

I have no idea about Favre, although if the pack hires mike mccarthy, i think it makes it at least a little more likely he comes back since mccarthy runs a WCO.

I think Rivers will be gone... Possibly Miami. Chester Taylor stays I think, and Jamal gets the tag for 1 year, if he doesn't produce next year, he's gone. Pennington is in trouble I think. Ahman is gone... don't forget about Najeh. I think Najeh/Gado/Fischer can handle the load. Indy has alot of cap problems, I don't see how they can retain Edge, even though I think they would really like to. Gore is the RB next year.... Barlow has had his chance.... he's all talk. My 2 cents. Who really cares about Musa Smith... how many NFL carries has he had? 20 maybe? I think people can get a good value for Eric Johnson, but you better have a backup TE in place.

What about O Smith? Where does he end up?
SD cant trade Rivers with Brees future with the team uncertain right now. AJ Smith even said he didnt know why everyone assumed Rivers was gone, and that they should be asking more questions about Brees future with the team.

I think the topic starter wants thoughts on Chester Taylor and my thinking is that I believe it is unlikely that he becomes a clear starting RB on any NFL team next year. He should still get carries and play 3rd down a lot and have some value but I would not value him as an NFL starting RB for next year.

I think Chester Taylor ends up in Green Bay. He's the type of back that can run or catch and he''s got speed. That said, I don't think they'd break the bank to get him and he'd have to beat out Gado for the starting gig. I think Green is done there and Davenpotty as well.

I was bored in a meeting a few minutes ago and listed the stuff I have to track this offseason just for the offensive players on my two Zealots teams:Does Favre retire? (Rodgers, Nall)

I don't think anyone knows the answer to any of these, with the possible exception of Everett's and McNabb's rehab.

[/quote/]

I have no idea about Favre, although if the pack hires mike mccarthy, i think it makes it at least a little more likely he comes back since mccarthy runs a WCO.
I think that there's a "WILD CARD" in GBay.....MOOCH.

I had to laugh when all I heard when he came to D-Town how dude was "coming home".

Lemme tell you somethin'...dude grew up in Iron Mountain, Mi...about 10 miles north of the 'sconie border...dude played college ball at NMU (QB'd 'em to a D-2 National Championship in '75 BTW) in the Green/Gold, and also, Iron Mountain is right smack dab in the middle of Packer country...1.5 hrs from Title Town.

Dude was the QB coach when Favre was cuttin' his teeth in GB, and there was nothin' but "man-love" from Favre for his former "mentor".

Mooch to GB, Favre for another year, MINIMUM.

( of course assuming he doesn't hang with his boy Izzo in Spartan Town!!)

No threads...just some thoughts...

The thread above is correct. I live an hour from Iron Mountain and this is Packer country. There are some Lions fans but I'd say it's about an 80/20 mix.I'd love to see Mooch in Green Bay.

I also have Chester in a keeper league and have been keeping a close eye on any news.Until free agency opens up, any trade would be a huge gamble. Ideally, BAL will either let Jamal go or tag him. Otherwise I think they could use the tag on Chester and he would be a backup or getting less than 50% of the looks again.

Sorry to hijack...Anyway, I think Taylor's in limbo. If things work out the way they seem headed, Baltimore franchises Lewis and lets Taylor go. Where does he end up? No idea, but there aren't that many good destinations available.Possible starting jobs:ColtsPackersCardinalsSeahawksPanthersPossible wait-a-year-before-taking-over spots:PatriotsJetsGiantsPossible RBBC spots:TitansVikingsBut he's competing with James, Alexander, AGreen, Foster, Henry, Bennett, MMorris, WGreen?, Lewis, Davenport, and some existing guys on teams that might have openings, like Rhodes, Gado, Arrington, Shelton, and SDavis.

I think you guys are being a little hard on Chester. He averaged a respectible 4.2 per carry this year (way better than Jamal), and in '04 he averaged 4.5 when he carried much of the load during the year. He's proven to be a very versitile back who produces when the opportunity arrises.What will make him a very attractive free agent this year are the low miles on his legs, and his relatively low price tag. I'd imagine he'd sign a deal to be a starter for much less than Edge or Alexander. He'll be starting somewhere next year. I wish B More would keep him and kick Jamal to the curb.

I think you guys are being a little hard on Chester. He averaged a respectible 4.2 per carry this year (way better than Jamal), and in '04 he averaged 4.5 when he carried much of the load during the year. He's proven to be a very versitile back who produces when the opportunity arrises.
I don't think anyone is denigrating his talent, but rather the marketplace in general he's up against.That, and the fact that he doesn't seem to carry the same "buzz" around the league that a guy like Lamont Jordan did with a similar modest workload.

One team to keep an eye out for is Jacksonville. Not too many pricey re-signings (IMHO they will be resigning Toefield, Terry Cousin, Winborn and possibly Kenny Wright and even maybe George Wrighster) and since they have plenty of cap room to begin with, signing of a few free agents- OLB and OT are targets- is most definately a possibility. Dont rule out a potential trade of David Garrad as they have a solid QB in the wings (Quinn Gray) and he will need to be resigned as well. Garrard would most likely find a home in a WCO system that is built around mobile QB's so Green Bay (especially if Mooch comes to town) is perhaps the most plausible suitor. A swap straight up for Green would not surprise me, though it does seems to do little good to the Jags. Baltimore and Miami (Ricky Williams) are also rumored to be in the hunt for Garrard. Oakland is considered a dark horse for Garrard and IMHO, he doe not fit their system.EDIT: If Baltimore does intend to go with Garrad, signing both RB's (and then sending one over to Jax for a sign and trade deal) is a very distinct possibility.

I think you guys are being a little hard on Chester. He averaged a respectible 4.2 per carry this year (way better than Jamal), and in '04 he averaged 4.5 when he carried much of the load during the year. He's proven to be a very versitile back who produces when the opportunity arrises.
Stats stats stats. Troy Hambrick had a 4.5 YPC average in 2004 and 4.1 in his 6 year career. Where's he now?

I think Chester Taylor is a talented RB that can come cheaply to NFL teams. As pointed out before, he has low mileage. He is a multi purpose back who can be in the game in all situations including 3rd down. This fact alone makes him valuable as far as FF goes. True fantasy studs like LT, SA and EJ are in the game no matter what. Players like Warrick Dunn, Brian Westbrook and Cadillac Williams are a step below because they come out of the game for various reasons in certain situations either due to their talents or their offensive system.As you can recall in the recent past there was another RB in a similiar situation that was with Baltimore that signed as a free agent with KC who's initials were PH. Talyor has similiar skills and in the right situation could produce. This may seem to be a ridiculous comparison but is not too far fetched if you think about it. In the right system this guy could shine. Hopefully a team with a potent offense or an up and coming team will sign him. Just have to wait and see.

Hopefully a team with a potent offense or an up and coming team will sign him.

Just have to wait and see.
Cardinals need an RB....that would be an interesting place for him to go....I have no idea what their cap numbers are, though.

Well you guys have given me some good things to think about. I had been considering trading Antonio Pierce for Taylor. I'm fairly certain his owner isn't even aware he's a FA. However if Baltimore jettison's Lewis I'm sure the price tag will go up. I thought about doing the deal in an attempted gamble to stay ahead of the curve but I don't think I'm going to. The thin marketplace is an excellent point. Not only that I'm already sitting on a free agent who's likely in a better position to have a feature role in DeShaun Foster. I'm pretty deep at LB but Pierce, assuming he stays healthy is pretty much a lock for a top 10 finish the next few years, and he's my #2. If I really want to trade Pierce, methinks I can do better.Thanks for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread