What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you get a physical/checkup every year with a doctor? (1 Viewer)

Do you get a physical every year with a doctor?

• Yes

Votes: 79 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 62 44.0%

• Total voters
I do now, but this is a very recent thing. In my 20s and 30s I didn’t. Now in my 40s I try to - plus my employer puts money into my HSA when I do it.

Yep - I don’t understand people that don’t unless they don’t have the insurance or money. So many issues and conditions are treatable if caught early.

Honestly, I agree with you. But it just hasn't been on my radar, plus I always rationalize "let me just get in better shape/lose some weight first"

Yes. Started this habit a year or two before Covid and have kept it up. The physical part is pretty short as I'm <50, but I do get a fasting blood panel to check my numbers. So far, so good.

Also, the main thing that got me started doing this is 1) it is covered by my insurance and 2) my employer actually pays me $100 to get one annually.

I know I should, but I don’t. No real excuse for it aside from I don’t like going to doctors or hospitals. Because of that, I find myself only going almost as a last resort type of thing.

I have the past two years (and will continue to do so) , but through my 40's I never made it a regular habit.

Yep - I don’t understand people that don’t unless they don’t have the insurance or money. So many issues and conditions are treatable if caught early.

Insurance isn't even good enough, really. They "find something early", and then you end getting treated (and charged) chronically for it on an ongoing basis.

Sounds silly, I realize ... but not knowing, not being bled that co-pay cash, and then dealing with disaster in 20 years can seem weirdly enticing to the deep lizard brain. For a lot of people, too ... having to regularly put out co-pays is a de facto pay cut that affects standard of living.

I voted yes, but not a full physical. Our insurance company does yearly screenings (blood test, b/p, weight, etc.) which give a small discount on insurance premiums and you meet (now virtually since Covid) with a nurse practitioner to go over your results, get recommendations, questions answered, etc.

Insurance isn't even good enough, really. They "find something early", and then you end getting treated (and charged) chronically for it on an ongoing basis.

Sounds silly, I realize ... but not knowing, not being bled that co-pay cash, and then dealing with disaster in 20 years can seem weirdly enticing to the deep lizard brain. For a lot of people, too ... having to regularly put out co-pays is a de facto pay cut that affects standard of living.

I totally get the monetary factor but we are all FBGs and set fires with 100's - yet over 50% of us don't get a physical every year. Just do it fellas.

I started getting annual physicals a few years ago, starting around age 50 - which brings me to my pet peeve for the day. Most all insurance companies cover an annual well visit or physical, which is supposed to mean no charge, including my insurance. Yet my doctor's office has a policy that basically anything that you discuss including chronic conditions or any new conditions does not apply to said well visit so every single year I get charged and have to pay out-of-pocket from my HSA funds. It pisses me off every single year when I get that insurance claim and bill.

I started getting annual physicals a few years ago, starting around age 50 - which brings me to my pet peeve for the day. Most all insurance companies cover an annual well visit or physical, which is supposed to mean no charge, including my insurance. Yet my doctor's office has a policy that basically anything that you discuss including chronic conditions or any new conditions does not apply to said well visit so every single year I get charged and have to pay out-of-pocket from my HSA funds. It pisses me off every single year when I get that insurance claim and bill.
Get a new doctors office. My doc always asks if I have any questions or other concerns and I'm never billed extra for those conversations.

Get a new doctors office. My doc always asks if I have any questions or other concerns and I'm never billed extra for those conversations.

Yep - that’s a ****ty policy. I’d tell them so and find a new doctor.

Give or take a few months, yeah. Our insurance basically requires it, which is probably a good thing because I would otherwise probably be much more lazy about it. Oh, and I'm on a statin, so the doc usually says he wants my blood tests and all before renewing the Rx each year.

Honestly, I agree with you. But it just hasn't been on my radar, plus I always rationalize "let me just get in better shape/lose some weight first"

An upcoming scheduled visit actually is a good motivator for me. A month or two before it I think, "Uh oh, gotta go check in, get weighed, get blood checked, etc pretty soon. Better get in better shape/lose some weight before then."

I’ve tried to but doctors keep switching offices, closing, etc. So annoying.
Well what happened to me is my doctor passed away suddenly in a car accident.

I went for one sick appointment during covid right after it happened.

I have no idea who the doctor in the office is now

As a giant fat guy who can't control himself, I have to take meds for cholesterol and high blood pressure. My doc won't renew scripts unless I see him each year and do a blood draw. And, with a family history of prostate cancer, I get the MOOOOOON RIVER treatment once a year to be safe. Also, it keeps me current on vaccines - last visit I did my shingles shot. I wouldn't have done that without that check-up on my own.

Yep.

My doctor doesn't do digital prostate exams and just goes on the PSA result. Kind of curious about whether that's normal. It definitely makes the visit less socially awkward. (My bloodwork has always been fine, so aside from my dad having had prostate cancer, there's no special reason why I should be considered at-risk.)

Started this year as I turned 50. Planning on doing it every year from now on. Answered "No" because I haven't done this historically. Time will tell if I actually do, but I have intentions to do so.

Yep.

My doctor doesn't do digital prostate exams and just goes on the PSA result. Kind of curious about whether that's normal. It definitely makes the visit less socially awkward. (My bloodwork has always been fine, so aside from my dad having had prostate cancer, there's no special reason why I should be considered at-risk.)

I think my doctor just likes me likes me.

I do now, but this is a very recent thing. In my 20s and 30s I didn’t. Now in my 40s I try to - plus my employer puts money into my HSA when I do it.

This is my answer as well. Got one at the end of June. I know he's gonna tell me it's time for the colonoscopy. :(

My work pays me to get an annual check-up. Each year for the past 5 years, I get bloodwork done and then have my primary doctor go over the results. My first year the doctor wanted to put my on Metformin for my cholesterol numbers. I declined. I began a diet and exercise program and each year my cholesterol levels got better. I am proud to say that this year my cholesterol levels were finally in normal ranges.

This is my answer as well. Got one at the end of June. I know he's gonna tell me it's time for the colonoscopy. :(
They aren't that big of a deal. Very important for us old guys to do it, plus the process cleans you out.

With the working out you are doing it will make you feel better when your system is cleaned up.

Haven't been doing this but since I am not 50 I plan to start and that begins with the wonderful colonoscopy scheduled for next month.. Ugh

Tried to when I turned 40, then COVID hit and I haven't been back since. Turned 47 this year and got a message through MyChart from the doctor, which I assumed was to resume scheduling a regular checkup/physical. Turns out it was to schedule a colonoscopy due to my age and medical history. So I got that going for me....

Haven't been doing this but since I am not 50 I plan to start and that begins with the wonderful colonoscopy scheduled for next month.. Ugh

Like ChiefD said, the colonoscopy isn't that bad. You can minimize the effects of the prep and the process itself I don't even remember. It was like an hour long nap with no idea what happened to me and at the end, I got a package of cheese crackers and a ginger ale!

Like ChiefD said, the colonoscopy isn't that bad. You can minimize the effects of the prep and the process itself I don't even remember. It was like an hour long nap with no idea what happened to me and at the end, I got a package of cheese crackers and a ginger ale!
I do like ginger ale. :shrug:

I am 49 and have not seen a doctor for over 20 years. My old company had me take a health assesment with a nurse that took blood, blood pressure, measured waist, etc but new job I took a few years ago not required. I will probably schedule a colonoscopy later this year.

Plus a pleasant high when you wake up.

Mine as something similar but the doctor is at least kind enough to cut me off when I started asking about anything that isn't just the basic physical. It's annoying, but at least I can gauge whether the value to the answer to the question I am about to ask is worth a couple hundred bucks or whatever.

Up until a couple of years ago I never went to the doctor but have gone the last two years and plan to keep going yearly. I just hit 40 and have had friends/acquaintances my age start dying already so it's kind of spooked me into going more.

Message both the last two years is: you're totally healthy but you need to clean up the diet. Fun.

Users who are viewing this thread