What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Have you ever, for any reason, spent the night in jail/prison/county lockup? (1 Viewer)

Have you ever, for any reason, spent the night in jail/prison/county lockup?

• Yes

Votes: 50 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 121 70.8%

• Total voters
Yep. Got a DUI when I was 18. Saved my life.

They put me into a cell at the county (this was a really small town in Kansas), and about 4:00 am they bring another guy in. Older guy. He peers in at me sitting on floor and says:

"Are you straight?"

Said yes, so he walks in and we both sit there a couple of hours til my buddies showed up to pick me up.

:lol:

Yeah mine was DUI at 17, originally cops misread my license and thought I was 16 so threw me in the Juvenile room. It was full of like stuffed animals and stuff

Some other kid was in there for trying to steal a car, ran into him at party down the road and he’s like how do
I know you? Hey…were you in (city) jail

Best part was mom came to pick me up then they realized i was 17 not 16 and made me spend the night. So instead I got Dad the next day, he’d been in the same boat before so was a little more understanding

Was also awkward when my girlfriends mom (now MIL) asked why I didn’t have a license. I think I told her I just hadn’t gotten it yet

I have spent hundreds of hours of my life in prisons and jails, sometimes well into the night, but they've always let me leave when I've asked.* So, considering the spirit of the question, I voted no.

*Save for a really unfun few hours on a Friday night where I was purposely locked in a Sheriff Joe jail elevator because a riot had broken out and some of the inmates had gotten to the areas where they shouldn't be (such as the arears visitors take to visit the inmates in their respective pods).

Spent the night in jail at 17. Spent the next day at Juvenile detention Was arrested a couple times after that in my early 20s. DUI at 22. Was actually lucky in that one. Walked away from destroying my car.

Been inside several for work. Never stayed in one. And given th3 condition of a lot of them...yeah I'll just not punch the people that deserve it.

I was held in a security office of a mall when I was 13, but that was only for like 45 minutes until they could get my mom on the phone to come and get us. My brother and I were supposed to be at the movies with some friends (mom dropped us off) but the movie was boring so we walked around the mall and were throwing pieces of chewing gum onto people's heads from the 2nd floor onto the bottom level. 5 points if you could bounce it off a bald guy. 3 points if it landed on a hat. 2 points if it stuck in their hair. 1 bonus point if you could do it without them sensing that it happened.

Security guard caught us and called our mom. We were "banned" from that mall for a year. IIRC we went back to it like a week later bc it was Christmastime and we took my little sister to see Santa. I sometimes tell people I'm a fugitive on the run with an outstanding warrant for violating a mall banishment order.

Last edited:
Never have. My Dad use to tell me when I was younger that I had one "get out of jail free" card. I asked him several months ago if that card was still valid. He said, "no, it expired years ago."

He will tell people that he raised three boys into three men and none of them have gone to jail, yet.

:oldunsure: does being in a detainee cell over night for training purposes count?
Yeah, I can’t imagine this is representative of our larger demographic, but maybe I’m just ignorant to how many people have spent a night in jail.

Need to know if you really mean "any reason" before I vote.

My dad worked in the juvenile court system his entire career. Once he week he had to work the overnight shift at the intake/detention center. For whatever reason, he brought me along once when I was young. So I spent the night there, but not in a cell.

ooo yeah ...shamefully so - numerous times for varied reasons up to age 25

also got to choose between a lengthy drivers license suspension or 3 days in county - took the 3 days.

not proud of those days and do not share that part of my life with my kids.

No but that’s just good luck. I certainly could have gotten popped for a DUI in my much younger days. Even got so lucky in my early 20s once the lady country sherif just let me go without even a ticket or anything. She knew damn well if I blew I would be over.

No, but I have been arrested, handcuffed to a bench at the police station, and released in under 2 hours. It is a very long story and I have a foot tall file that could make a hilarious movie. I posted an article related to it many years ago. Long story short. A neighbor, life long buddy, member of my indirect fam (BiL's bro), and absolute gorilla of a man "found out" his wife was cheating on him with a local cop, also a neighbor. He broke into the house, carried the naked cop into the front yard and proceeded to beat the holy #### out of him. I don't know if I was arrested for snitching or not helping, but the judge ruled in my favor as the peanut gallery laughed and applauded with me walking out of court. Everyone one in this town despised that cop. My BiL's bro spent 6 months in jail, where he was received as a local hero. Maybe you had to be there.

Did a week in county because I was young and stupid.

Got caught without car insurance, went to court and the judge says I have to pay a fine and do community service. I paid the fine, but forgot about doing the community service. Judge gave me a week vacation.

0/10 wouldn't recommend

The only time I was arrested was for skiing out of bounds. It was a catch and release program. I had to come back for my court date. Probation. It was a good excuse to get in another ski trip. 😂

I love the reaction cops have had over the years when I answer the “have you ever been arrested” question. They have all chuckled and lightened up immediately.

As mentioned in the "worst sleep spot" thread:

Drunk tank in San Marcos, TX (was in wrong place at wrong time, caught fleeing the scene of a fight I wasn't even in... and they got me for public intoxication... wasn't even drunk). That was terrible. I don't know if I actually slept but must have nodded off a few times so it counts. And got the charge completely removed from my record, as it should.

No, but I have been arrested, handcuffed to a bench at the police station, and released in under 2 hours. It is a very long story and I have a foot tall file that could make a hilarious movie. I posted an article related to it many years ago. Long story short. A neighbor, life long buddy, member of my indirect fam (BiL's bro), and absolute gorilla of a man "found out" his wife was cheating on him with a local cop, also a neighbor. He broke into the house, carried the naked cop into the front yard and proceeded to beat the holy #### out of him. I don't know if I was arrested for snitching or not helping, but the judge ruled in my favor as the peanut gallery laughed and applauded with me walking out of court. Everyone one in this town despised that cop. My BiL's bro spent 6 months in jail, where he was received as a local hero. Maybe you had to be there.
Wished I would have read the original thread with the longer story.

also got to choose between a lengthy drivers license suspension or 3 days in county - took the 3 days.

I had a similar decision to make after a DUI in 1999. I could take 48 hours of community service, which involved a total of six, 8-hour shifts of picking up trash from the side of the road with a bunch of other folks there for the same reason, or I could take 2 days in jail. I took the jail time. 2 days in jail ended up being more like 22 hours though. Turned myself in at 9am, and was kicked out a 7am the next morning. I still think I made the correct decision.

I had a similar decision to make after a DUI in 1999. I could take 48 hours of community service, which involved a total of six, 8-hour shifts of picking up trash from the side of the road with a bunch of other folks there for the same reason, or I could take 2 days in jail. I took the jail time. 2 days in jail ended up being more like 22 hours though. Turned myself in at 9am, and was kicked out a 7am the next morning. I still think I made the correct decision.
Good behavior?

Good behavior?
I guess. I have no idea if it's still common, but back then you'd get "half time" if you didn't get in any trouble. Two weeks sentences would be done in a week. And my two day-er was a day.

Yes

Beat a guy senseless. Had to do ~ 30 hours community service. Plea deal was the judge withheld of adjudication of guilt, charges were expunged/sealed if I was never arrested again.

Anyway, got arrested at the scene, it was a Sunday night & I couldn't be arraigned until the next morning. Sometime in the evening they transferred me to the tombs but were kind enough to give my own cell instead of putting me in general lockup. Slept on a wood bench with no blanket or pillow. Arraignment was first thing the next day, released on recognizance. Lawyer worked out a deal to plead no contest but sealed after completing community service, and expunged 1 or 2 years later. Under those terms I could lawfully state I had never been arrested or convicted.

On my own I went to a psychologist and went through about 4-6 months (it was a long time ago, I don't remember exactly) of Cognitive Behavior Therapy. CBT taught me what my triggers were, how to recognize I was on the verge of rage, and how I could de-escalate myself. I haven't had any issues with anger since then. But it taught me a good lesson, I almost screwed up my life because I couldn't control myself at the time.

Yeah mine was DUI at 17, originally cops misread my license and thought I was 16 so threw me in the Juvenile room. It was full of like stuffed animals and stuff
:lmao: WTF?
It's likely a soft juvenile interview room at the local police station. This is a normal thing.
Had no idea. Are the accoutrements intended to put said juvenile delinquents more at ease?
Not necessarily the delinquents. The rooms are also used to forensically interview child victims.

:lmao: WTF?
It's likely a soft juvenile interview room at the local police station. This is a normal thing.
Had no idea. Are the accoutrements intended to put said juvenile delinquents more at ease?
Not necessarily the delinquents. The rooms are also used to forensically interview child victims.
I'm an idiot. I originally processed it as "juvenile hall." Carry on.

Have you ever, for any reason, spent the night in jail/prison/county lockup?
3 separate occasions :bag:

1st.. At 16 Ran away from home.. Used my mom's credit card, charged an Amtrak ticket from Minnesota to California where a friend's Uncle was a manager at a winery and had a job waiting for me. Got as far as Whitefish, Montana before my mom tracked me down (wasn't hard since it was her credit card).. Spent the weekend in Kalispell, Montana waiting for my mom and step dad to drive out and pick my butt up... LONGEST car ride ... EVER!!

2nd.. About two weeks later, got caught breaking into cars taking stuff.. Spent the night.. When my mom told the jailer just to keep my butt there, the jailer released me to another parent.

3rd, and last.. I Was 19.. Friend got pulled over for DWI, I had just opened two beers for us so got taken in for open bottle, plus underage.
Turned out I had an outstanding warrant for my arrest for a ticket I never paid for. It was a Saturday and they wouldn't know until Monday if they wanted to come and get me. So spent the weekend.

The "silver lining" was that I saw the judge on my open bottle/underage early Monday..
He asked me "You spent the weekend in jail for open bottle/underage drinking?"
Who was I to tell him about the warrant so answered "yes sir"
He responded "time served, no fine".
As I was waiting to get processed they told me the other ticket had also been dropped.

Last edited:
The only time I was arrested was for skiing out of bounds. It was a catch and release program. I had to come back for my court date. Probation. It was a good excuse to get in another ski trip. 😂

I love the reaction cops have had over the years when I answer the “have you ever been arrested” question. They have all chuckled and lightened up immediately.
What mountain?

As for the original question, never overnight, but I spent some time in a holding cell.

I was 16, driving with a friend. We had just retrieved my freshly painted, metallic black Camaro, and it was a beautiful summer day. Kool & the Gang’s Celebration was on the radio. There was no way a speed limit was gonna kill the mood.

So I raced down the highway, weaving in and out of traffic to the blithesome beats. Approaching a red light, I decided to keep the momentum by cutting through a corner parking lot. I’m sure the tires were screeching, but the sound was drowned out by JT Taylor’s dulcet tones.

The party came to an abrupt end a few seconds later. One cop car skidded to block the approaching intersection, so I slammed on my brakes.
Another rapidly closed from the rear, lights and sirens now painfully obvious (I later learned he’d been following me for over a mile).

”Where you headed, Richard Petty?”, the officer asked sarcastically. Then he asked to search my vehicle; I obliged (stupid, I know, but nothing to hide). Lacking proof of insurance, with multiple potential moving violations, my car was impounded, and my friend and I were taken to the station.

My friend contacted his dad to pick him up, and I was placed in a holding cell. Fortunately, no one else was there. To teach me a lesson, my parents seemed content to let me spend the night. Maybe they were bluffing, as I was eventually permitted to leave with my friend and his dad. Total time in the pokey: 2 hours, maybe.

I was able to provide my insurance card before my trial, and ultimately ended up with a ticket for reckless driving (the cops claimed I’d broken at least 6 laws). I didn’t drive again for almost a year, and my dad made me pay for my auto insurance from that point forward.

Lessen learned, I guess. But 25 years later in my driving career, when the song is right, I still have the urge to celebrate.

Last edited:

What mountain?

As for the original question, never overnight, but I spent some time in a holding cell.

I was 16, driving with a friend. We had just retrieved my freshly painted, metallic black Camaro, and it was a beautiful summer day. Kool & the Gang’s Celebration was on the radio. There was no way a speed limit was gonna kill the mood.

So I raced down the highway, weaving in and out of traffic to the blithesome beats. Approaching a red light, I decided to keep the momentum by cutting through a corner parking lot. I’m sure the tires were screeching, but the sound was drowned out by JT Taylor’s dulcet tones.

The party came to an abrupt end a few seconds later. One cop car skidded to block the approaching intersection, so I slammed on my brakes.
Another rapidly closed from the rear, lights and sirens now painfully obvious (I later learned he’d been following me for over a mile).

”Where you headed, Richard Petty?”, the officer asked sarcastically. Then he asked to search my vehicle; I obliged (stupid, I know, but nothing to hide). Lacking proof of insurance, with multiple potential moving violations, my car was impounded, and my friend and I were taken to the station.

My friend contacted his dad to pick him up, and I was placed in a holding cell. Fortunately, no one else was there. To teach me a lesson, my parents seemed content to let me spend the night. Maybe they were bluffing, as I was eventually permitted to leave with my friend and his dad. Total time in the pokey: 2 hours, maybe.

I was able to provide my insurance card before my trial, and ultimately ended up with a ticket for reckless driving (the cops claimed I’d broken at least 6 laws). I didn’t drive again for almost a year, and my dad made me pay for my auto insurance from that point forward.

Lessen learned, I guess. But 25 years later in my driving career, when the song is right, I still have the urge to celebrate.
mammoth.

i told my girlfriend at the time (not an avid skier at all) that we would be back in a couple of hours max and to just lap the chill runs around the base lodge. go in have a drink, chill whatever. we'd be right back. many many hours later, after being in ski patrol jail, waiting for the real cops to arrive, we returned to the base area in the back of the police cruiser. i told the cop my chick might still be out there. he thought that was hysterical and informed me that i would probably not get laid after abandoning her on the hill. we sat in the cop car for 20ish minutes watching people come down the hill. he even let me jump out and do a quick lap through the lodge to see if she was there. she wasn't. the coolest cop ever than took us to our condo. told us to get out of our ski boots and to drive ourselves down to the station to be officially booked. as he drove off, he was laughing hysterically because my chick opened the door and just started laying into me. the only thing that saved me from a full berating was that we had to get down to the station. :lmao:

When I was 18 I got 8 tickets in one stop and got arrested and spent the night in jail.

I also was charged with a class 4 felony a few years later because I had 32 street signs hanging in my apartment and got busted. Didn’t go to jail for that one, but did have to get a lawyer and go to court.

Not me. But never forget guy in our football group. We are in So Cal and our whole league would take a road trip to a Charger game in SD. Party bus, hostess or two to serve beers, etc. So it’s Chargers vs Vikings. One guy has Randall Cunningham and Randy Moss. We were bonus distance TD scoring at the time. Randall drops back, heaves a 50 yarder to Moss wide open in the end zone. Goes right through his hands. Unreal. Guy promptly punts his can of Coors Light end over end and it goes to the next level. Cops had him before the can even landed. Took him to the lock up right at the stadium. Then he had to stay over night at the county. Said it was the worst night of his life. Crackheads etc all in his business. Glad it wasn’t me

Users who are viewing this thread