What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Up With "Fast Surfaces" (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
this came up just recently with ohio state pro day... hawk ran a 4.3 by some clocks, & ran a 4.5 at combine...

whitner also ran a blazing fast 40 & bettered his combine time...

this sort of thing has gone on for years... the combine used to have a dreaded slow surface, & many players would dodge it & just run at pro day... justin fargas started a bit of a trend by running a very fast time in indy... showing that it could be done, & inspiring confidence in others...

i understand how different tracks & surfaces could vield variable times... some faster, some slower...

but even if ohio state does have a "fast" surface... it is still pretty impressive if hawk could run a 4.4 or even sub-4.4... under any conditions (i couldn't do that downhill :) )... that sounds pretty freaking fast & explosive...

unless some tracks actually have a slight slant & run downhill... i vaguely even recall hearing this accusation levelled (pun unintended) at some schools... but i'm not sure if so, or which ones...

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to track surfaces, another factor that needs to be considered is the method of timing.

I'm not 100% sure but I would think that the combine is fully automated timing. This method will always be slower than a hand time with a stop watch.

When you say "some clocks" that makes me think it could have been a hand time.

Standard practice is to add .24 seconds to a hand time but someone with quick reflexes and timing experience can get closer to something like +.12 to +.14

Don't they use camera's and replay to get the actual 40 time at the combine. I think the combine 40 time is just more accurate.

Sort of like when they say a guy is 5'10'' but he really measures up as 5'9'' at the combine. Damn cheaters.

I don't know what they do at the combine. Do they use a starters gun or a whistle or what?

I do know that fully automated timing electronically connects the finish line cameras to the starters pistol and this will always make a slower time than going on human reaction time.

Users who are viewing this thread