What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Pip’s Invitation:

Fight The Good Fight - Triumph (Canada)
(new artist)

Triumph's story is unlike most others in rock history. They built up a following big enough to play hockey arenas (by the late '70s in Canada and by the '80s in the US) while managing themselves and getting very little support from the music industry in the traditional way. Kind of like the Grateful Dead and Phish, though they worked in a completely different genre. Their most obvious sonic comparison is Rush, but they were always more AOR and less prog than Geddy and the boys.

They first came to my attention via their videos, almost all of them performance-based, in the early years of MTV. These were a mix of songs from their second US album, Just a Game, shot on a soundstage, and songs from their fourth US album, Allied Forces, shot at a concert in Baltimore. I loved them all, but Fight the Good Fight, from Allied Forces, was and still is my favorite. It's got plenty of guitar heroics, but also a ton of rich sonic textures and a great melody. My first concert without my parents was Triumph (with Yngvie Malmsteen opening) in 1986, and they closed their set with this.

The recent documentary on them, Rock and Roll Machine, does a great job of capturing the impact they had on people despite getting little attention from the larger music industry or the mainstream media. Among the things I learned from that:

They very much followed the "If you build it, they will come" model in their early years. They set out to have the biggest, brashest live spectacle they could think of, with the music to match. This garnered a ton of favorable word-of-mouth and gained them a following to a much greater extent than their early records did. When they were ready to move up to theater level, they booked a gig at Massey Hall in Toronto, a creaky old venue. Once the venue folks realized what kind of show Triumph put on, they said the stage show with all of its lights and pyrotechnics was too much of a fire hazard. So Triumph, a band with barely any radio presence yet, even in Canada, moved the show to MAPLE LEAF GARDENS. And sold enough tickets for it to make a profit. Relentless touring got them to a similar status in other North American cities by the early '80s.

They opened their own studio in the early '80s and recorded Allied Forces and all subsequent albums there. It still exists and is the setting of much of the documentary.

In previous threads I have mentioned that many of their lyrics sound like a hockey coach's between-periods speech. The documentary showed that this was by design. As with a lot of acts, their target audience was teens who felt out of place, but instead of writing angry or depressing songs, they wrote uplifting ones, to convey to confused teens that life had a lot of positives and with the right outlook, everything was going to be OK.

They became friends with Apple's Steve Wozniak, who was a big fan, and helped him organize the hard rock/metal day of US Festival '83 (link to their set from it above).

The machinations of the music industry did catch up to them eventually. Their first five US albums were on RCA records, but the band decided that RCA was no longer committed to hard rock and asked to be freed from their contract. A lawsuit ensued, which they lost, but they were "rescued" by Irving Azoff, the head of MCA records, who decided to pay off RCA and sign them. Their first record for MCA, Thunder Seven, was their most successful yet in terms of getting airplay on FM radio. But MCA decided that they needed even more of a return on their investment than that, and pushed for them to change to a more "modern" sound that could produce top 40 hits. The sessions for the next album, The Sport of Kings, were exceedingly difficult because of these pressures, and put strains on the band that they never really recovered from (despite getting their top 40 hit in Somebody's Out There). A few years later, singer/guitarist Rik Emmett left the band and that was that.

A lot of fans felt very intensely about them not only because of their songs and performances, but because they weren't on magazine covers and such, so they could be "my band" or "my secret". This is demonstrated very well in the documentary with fan interviews, and with the ending
where the band plays a surprise reunion set at a fan event at the band's studio.

Last edited:
another great round people - they keep getting stronger

known to me favs

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson w/ Bruno MarsDrIanMalcolmnot my typical jam - but this thing just grabs ya
Nineteen Hundred & Eighty Five - Wingsshuke"Band on the Run" was in my initial little set of albums as a teen and loved this
Cult of Personality - Living ColourHawks64so very close to making my top 31 …great song
Red Barchetta - RushMrs. Rannousunapoligetic Rush fan here and this is a classic
Tatooed Love Boys - PretendersRaging Weaseldamn it, forgot about this one, Pretenders finished #41 for me
The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experienceworrierkinghope everyone has Jimi somewhere on there list
Baby Come Back - The EqualsJML's secret identitywow - memories as a kid listening to AM …and Eddy Grant!!
Get Free - The VinesMAC 32rocker - I get these guys mixed up with The Hives a lot
Seek and Destroy - Metallicawesterbergnever been a headbanger, but sometimes you just gotta …this is one of those
The Night Owl - Little River Bandzamboniwe pooped on these guys when this was a hit …but secretly liked it, these guys are so good
Dreams - Fleetwood MacZegras11I'll vote for this any day
Summer In The City - The Lovin' SpoonfulAAABatteries8 yr old mummy thought this was about the coolest song ever …and I still do

new to me favs

Forget What I Said - Noora Noorsimeyhow did I ever miss this? Awesome.
Burden - OpethKarmaPolicebeautiful and operatic …in a somewhat prog way …KP "prog guy" dare I say???

Yes, I would agree that it's safe to say that I have a prog lean, and Opeth leans that way. I have always been a fan of things like epic drumming, concept albums, and songs that switch tones and/or have rises and falls the music. That all points to prog, and the metal Iike leans that direction - Tool, Opeth, Mastodon, Death, Operation: Mindcrime, and others. I think just like metal, my tolerance for prog boils down to the vocals a lot. Bands like Rush and Dream Theater grate on me in that department, but I can appreciate the musicianship.
I read a great Rush quote on YouTube just this morning:

“Rush may not be your favorite band, but they’re probably your favorite band’s favorite band.”

Author! Author!
I’m way behind on my Goldbergs watching, but that guy kept me coming back. 🦉

let's just say that the Rush cabal i knew back in those days were a whole hell of a lot less ... grating - Atkins is a great character, but his whole demeanor/shtick reminds me more of the Priest/Maiden/Crüe lot

The recent documentary on them, Rock and Roll Machine, does a great job of capturing the impact they had on people despite getting little attention from the larger music industry or the mainstream media.
Great overall write up, Pip - I remember you mentioned you would expand on them in this thread. To your quoted part above, the documentary was particularly moving when one of the guys shared a few letters from teenage fans who were suicidal at the time, and Triumph music really helped them through a difficult period. Having gone through similar feelings as a teenager at that same time, that portion of the documentary resonated with me profoundly.

Their most obvious sonic comparison is Rush, but they were always more AOR and less prog than Geddy and the boys.
That's an interesting comparison and one I had never thought of before. I always pegged them as a cross between Foreigner and Judas Priest. But maybe we're saying the same thing in different ways.
You can arrive at it that way too. Their sound combined metal and AOR, and prog to a lesser extent.

One of the other things I learned in the documentary is that by the late '70s, schools in Canada often had cliques divided into Rush fans vs. Triumph fans. Which everyone in the documentary acknowledged was silly, because the bands weren't that different and because the concept of music-based cliques is silly to most people once they become adults.

One of the other things I learned in the documentary is that by the late '70s, schools in Canada often had cliques divided into Rush fans vs. Triumph fans.
That was probably the Canadian version of Kiss vs. disco in the U.S. during roughly the same period.

That is, until Kiss and disco met and became Kissco with “I Was Made Made For Loving You” (incidentally picked above).

One of the other things I learned in the documentary is that by the late '70s, schools in Canada often had cliques divided into Rush fans vs. Triumph fans.
That was probably the Canadian version of Kiss vs. disco in the U.S. during roughly the same period.

That is, until Kiss and disco met and became Kissco with “I Was Made Made For Loving You” (incidentally picked above).
Yes and yes.

On another board I remember a guy who was a teenager in the '70s talking about participating in the KISS vs. disco wars (on the KISS side) at the time. "What did you do when I Was Made for Loving You came out," I asked. "Not a damn thing," he said.

Pip’s Invitation:

(new artist)

Triumph's story is unlike most others in rock history. They built up a following big enough to play hockey arenas (by the late '70s in Canada and by the '80s in the US) while managing themselves and getting very little support from the music industry in the traditional way. Kind of like the Grateful Dead and Phish, though they worked in a completely different genre. Their most obvious sonic comparison is Rush, but they were always more AOR and less prog than Geddy and the boys.
Great write up.

Interesting comparison with Triumph, I've always thought everyone (myself included) compared Rush directly with the other most popular power trio on the planet in the late 70's/ early 80's which was The Police. In fact, you can hear the influence from The Police in the reggae beat in songs like Spirit of the Radio and Digital Man off the top of my head. And then the other band I've always thought they were compared to was Yes in that similar kind of hard rock/prog rock blend.

known to me favs

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson w/ Bruno MarsDrIanMalcolmnot my typical jam - but this thing just grabs ya
Nineteen Hundred & Eighty Five - Wingsshuke"Band on the Run" was in my initial little set of albums as a teen and loved this
Cult of Personality - Living ColourHawks64so very close to making my top 31 …great song
Red Barchetta - RushMrs. Rannousunapoligetic Rush fan here and this is a classic
Tatooed Love Boys - PretendersRaging Weaseldamn it, forgot about this one, Pretenders finished #41 for me
The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experienceworrierkinghope everyone has Jimi somewhere on there list
Baby Come Back - The EqualsJML's secret identitywow - memories as a kid listening to AM …and Eddy Grant!!
Get Free - The VinesMAC 32rocker - I get these guys mixed up with The Hives a lot
Seek and Destroy - Metallicawesterbergnever been a headbanger, but sometimes you just gotta …this is one of those
The Night Owl - Little River Bandzamboniwe pooped on these guys when this was a hit …but secretly liked it, these guys are so good
Summer In The City - The Lovin' SpoonfulAAABatteries8 yr old mummy thought this was about the coolest song ever …and I still do

new to me favs

Burden - OpethKarmaPolicebeautiful and operatic …in a somewhat prog way …KP "prog guy" dare I say???

Yes, I would agree that it's safe to say that I have a prog lean, and Opeth leans that way. I have always been a fan of things like epic drumming, concept albums, and songs that switch tones and/or have rises and falls the music. That all points to prog, and the metal Iike leans that direction - Tool, Opeth, Mastodon, Death, Operation: Mindcrime, and others. I think just like metal, my tolerance for prog boils down to the vocals a lot. Bands like Rush and Dream Theater grate on me in that department, but I can appreciate the musicianship.

“Rush may not be your favorite band, but they’re probably your favorite band’s favorite band.”
I’ve heard a similar quote about the Velvet Underground.

DrIanMalcolm:

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson (feat. Bruno Mars) (US/UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

This is the first of the 2.5 songs I have in common with DrIanMalcolm that has been revealed by both of us.

known to me favs

new to me favs

I believe that quote was from the always humble Lou Reed.

known to me favs

new to me favs

I believe that quote was from the always humble Lou Reed

Mo Tucker down?

I knew 17 songs today, not counting my own but counting repeats.

Known-to-me favorites from #18, not including my own pick or Uptown Funk, which is known to be on my list:

Cult of Personality -- Living Colour (Doug B and Hawks64)
Dreams -- Fleetwood Mac (Zegras11)
Red Barchetta -- Rush (Mrs. Rannous)
Kelly Watch the Stars -- Air (Titusbramble)
November Rain -- Guns 'N Roses (Chaos34)
The Wind Cries Mary -- The Jimi Hendrix Experience (Worrierking)
I Was Made for Loving You -- KISS (Simsarge)
Nineteen Hundred Eighty-Five -- Wings (Shuke)
Tattooed Love Boys -- The Pretenders (Raging Weasel)
Summer in the City -- The Lovin' Spoonful (AAABatteries)

Fourteen-Point Selections:

timschochet:

’39 - Queen

shuke:

Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five - Wings …...........Paul/Linda

Raging weasel:

Tattooed Love Boys - The Pretenders

worrierking:

The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Val Rannous:

Oh Yeah - Yello

rockaction:

Deeper Shade Of Soul - Urban Dance Squad

New Binky the Doormat:

Pleasant Valley Sunday - The Monkees

jwb:

Sunday Girl - Blondie

simsarge:

I Was Made For Lovin' You - KISS

AAABatteries:

Summer In The City - The Lovin' Spoonful

familiar faves i consider to be favorites ...

39 - such an underrated deep cut ... it did get AOR airplay here, tho ... so not as deep as some of my other faves by them.

1985 (brevity sake) - kinda butchy Macca ... best cut off that platter.

Tattooed Love Boys - yes, yes i am, Chrissy 😁 most popular song about being forcibly groped by NYC bikers.

Wind Cries Mary - such gorgeously expressive playing by Jimi ... never disappoints.

Oh Yeah - so bad, it's good! camp for me ... oh, and f*** Bueller

Deeper Shade of Soul - i have ZERO bizniz liking this, but i love it.

Pleasant Valley Sunday - SynchII theme portended.

Sunday Girl - the deep cuts on Parallel Lines groove better than the hits, and Debbie's French interlude weakens me.

I Was Made For Loving You - so bad, it's good! redux ... jfc, Paul

Summer in the City - yes, lifelong NYer, and this absolutely ruled at least a half dozen of my youthful summers - immense up here, WCBS 101.1 FM never let us forget.

Last edited:
Well, crap, I had an old guy moment. . . .Pip's writeup stirred up my brain juices a little bit there. I could kick myself for not including Triumph but I needed another 31. . . in fact for the next 31 I would love to see a Double Tap, Deja 31 or Two for Tuesday (repeat the parameters of the thread again) or go in a different direction next time and do your top 31 remakes. Not trying to hijack just tossing some early ideas out there. . . I digress a lot.

Anyway, my "oh crap" moment was that this channel on YouTube (it's a Canadian Rock Station) does this PERFECT segment called Behind The Vinyl and this (I think) ties into some bands on this thread. Anyway, as much I love Triumph, Rush and other bands, well, this kinda sorta just made all that love go up a notch. The premise is that a band member sits in a chair, with a turntable on a table, some speakers and they just share their thoughts about the song, the time frame around the song, events leading up to it maybe, whatever it is they want to discuss and the time limit is set by the length of the song. No goofy questions, no interruptions, just the band member, the song and their thoughts. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the living hell out of this premise, it just works so well. Oh, and I dare, dare, triple dog DARE to you to hate Mike Levine from Triumph. You can hate Triumph songs but you cannot possibly hate Mike Levine unless you have neither a heart nor soul. :) These are a select few of my favorites, you gotta go check it out, you'll love it!

Behind The Vinyl : Magic Power with Mike Levine from Triumph
Behind The Vinyl : "Magic Power" with Rik Emmett from Triumph
Behind The Vinyl : "Lay it on the line" with Mike Levine from Triumph
Behind The Vinyl : "Tom Sawyer" with Alex Lifeson
Behind The Vinyl : "Limelight" with Alex Lifeson
Behind The Vinyl : "Lunatic Fringe" with Tom Cochrane

And on and on, some others I remember liking is there's another Rik Emmett, the Run DMZ Walk this way was funny, George Thorogood, etc.

The recent documentary on them, Rock and Roll Machine, does a great job of capturing the impact they had on people despite getting little attention from the larger music industry or the mainstream media.
Great overall write up, Pip - I remember you mentioned you would expand on them in this thread. To your quoted part above, the documentary was particularly moving when one of the guys shared a few letters from teenage fans who were suicidal at the time, and Triumph music really helped them through a difficult period. Having gone through similar feelings as a teenager at that same time, that portion of the documentary resonated with me profoundly.

I didn't know the backstory of Triumph, so this was all interesting to me. They were huge in my house growing up as my older brother was a big fan. Triumph fans will be heartened by their showing here, I think.

(krista: forgot whether you are, so apologies if you are as well).

I'm a rare Rush-neutral person, despite living with a decidedly anti-Rush roommate. I know I've mentioned this before, but one of my favorite OH-isms was when he was hopping mad about the Rush documentary because it made him like them as people. :lol:
I seem to remember some of this innernets info concerning their hobbies:

Geddy Lee’s Baseball Collection

Here are just a few things that were or are still in Geddy Lee’s baseball collection:

A signed baseball by every member of the 3,000-hit club. All of them. He tracked down Albert Pujols last year when the first baseman went to Toronto to get the 32nd member of the 3,000-hit club to sign a baseball for him.

Former umpire George Sosnak was an artist who would paint game-used baseballs, decorating them with the box score and pictures from the game. He made roughly 100 of them, and Lee has a few, including one from Sandy Koufax‘s perfect game.

Lee also donated a collection of over 400 signed baseballs to the Negro Leagues museum in Kansas City. Baseballs in the collection were signed by players such as Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Josh Gibson.

Thirteen-Point Selections:

scorchy:

1-Barely Legal - The Strokes (U.S., Brazil)
(new artist)

Mrs. Rannous:

2-11:59 - Blondie (US + UK)
(new song)

krista4:

3-Where Is My Mind? - The Pixies (Philippines/US)
(new artist)

JMLs secret identity:

4-Get Out Of Your Lazy Bed - Matt Bianco (Poland)
(new artist)
rockaction:

5-Vienna Calling - Falco (Austria)
(new artist)
John Maddens Lunchbox:

6-Boys Don't Cry - The Cure (Rhodesia)
(new artist)

zamboni:

7-Send Me An Angel - Real Life (Australia)
(new artist)
AAABatteries:

8-Daydream Believer - The Monkees
(new song)
A day behind again, the hopefully spoiler free rundown of selected songs
1- The good ole foreign drummer exemption. Feels a bit cheap when you couldnt take a band in the UK or US drafts because of the drummer. I mean a real musician or a vocalist, fair enough. Cue the drummers union jumping up and down. Anyway, Love the Strokes. Be curious how many times they get a mention.

2- Ha. I Was just talking about Parallel Lines and the greatness on it. 1159 didnt sniff being a single either, just like Pretty Baby. Great great song

3- i need new material, i was talking about this track the other day as a potential for the Phillipines, but Lea Salonga wins. This would have been my choice.

4- Poland is a bit if wasteland for western music. Maybe i didnt look hard enough, but Basia Trzetrzelewska was an option. She started as a co vocalist in Matt Bianco and her distinctive vocals dominated when broken out. Signed to a solo contract, i though her career didnt go far, but she had a few top 40 hits in the US much to my surprise and multiple top 40 albums. Guess i should have checked them out. Maybe they are better than this track which can go from fun to irritating real quick.

5- Have we seen Rock Me Amadeus yet? Interesting we see Vienna Calling. Der Kommisar was another option I guess. He really was a megastar in Austria with 20 top 20 hits. No wonder they mourned his death with statues and stuff.

6- The Rhodesian bassist didnt last long, but long enough to have some good songs at our disposal. A lot of the best of the Cure isnt eligible for this unfortunately as we would have much more scope here.

Although the french exemption, drummer of course, has many of their best albums between 1984-1994. But Boris Williams had UK parents, so tracks like Just like Heaven etc werent eligible here? Too much choice from France anyway, but I would have made an exception for that track. Except I would have had to look up the birth place of the drummers parents? I have a headache.

7- Real Life had two members with a surname of Zatorsky and Simcic. Knowing that half of Australia was born overseas or had a parent born overseas, but i couldnt find birth places for any of these guys. Croatian, serbia....all these places were up for grabs. Most of eastern europe was. Oh well, Send Me an Angel had an amazing two shot run at the US top 40. Other great songs were Always, Catch Me Im Falling, Babies, Burning Blue etc

8- the Monkees always fascinated me. An obvious Beatles rip off, but there was more. I always thought that Neil Diamond wrote this song, but instead it was John Stewart of Gold fame. Diamond wrote I’m a Believer instead.

I'm a rare Rush-neutral person, despite living with a decidedly anti-Rush roommate. I know I've mentioned this before, but one of my favorite OH-isms was when he was hopping mad about the Rush documentary because it made him like them as people. :lol:
Don’t let OH near the Triumph documentary then. He may like them even more people-wise.

6- The Rhodesian bassist didnt last long, but long enough to have some good songs at our disposal. A lot of the best of the Cure isnt eligible for this unfortunately as we would have much more scope here.

Although the french exemption, drummer of course, has many of their best albums between 1984-1994. But Boris Williams had UK parents, so tracks like Just like Heaven etc werent eligible here? Too much choice from France anyway, but I would have made an exception for that track. Except I would have had to look up the birth place of the drummers parents? I have a headache.

They were selected many times in the British Isles countdown, including for "Just Like Heaven."

timschochet:

’39 - Queen
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

Breathe Me - Sia (Australian artist)
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

(new artist)

Andy Dufresne:

Take It Easy On Me - Little River Band
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

(duplicate, second vote)

Don Quixote:

Hoppípolla - Sigur Ros (Iceland)
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Drinking Water (Aqua de Beber) - Antonio Carlos Jobim and Frank Sinatra (Brazil and US)
(both new artists)

scorchy:

Capital Punishment - :Wumpscut: (Germany)
(new artist)

shuke:

(new song)

Sullie:

Shadow Of Your Love - Guns N' Roses (Slash's hat was too big and glorious for the other threads but not for this one.)
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Anthems For A Seventeen Year Old Girl - Broken Social Scene
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Distractions - Zero 7 (Australia)
(new artist)

Hawks64:

Cult of Personality - Living Colour
(new song, but two votes today!)

Mrs. Rannous:

Red Barchetta - Rush (Canada)
(new song)

titusbramble:

Kelly Watch The Stars - Air (French)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

(new song)

Ilov80s:

Things In Life - Dennis Brown
(new artist)

worrierking:

The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (US/England)
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Oh Yeah - Yello (Switzerland)
(new song)

krista4:

Where Does The Time Go? - The Bamboos (feat. Aloe Blacc) (Australia/US)
(both new artists)

Mt. Man:

Walk In The Shadows - Queensryche (US band, German singer)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

Baby Come Back - The Equals (Guyana)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

Incubus Succubus II - Xmal Deutschland (Germany)
(new artist)

simey:

Forget What I Said - Noora Noor (Dubai - United Arab Emirates)
(new artist)

rockaction:

Deeper Shade Of Soul - Urban Dance Squad (Netherlands)
(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

Pleasant Valley Sunday - The Monkees (Davey is British, Mike is a US guy)
(new song)

landryshat:

Let Me Be - Xavier Rudd (Australia)
(new song)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Tukoh Taka - Myriam Fares, Nicki Minaj and Maluma (Lebanon)
(Minaj – new song; Fares and Maluma – both new artists)

MAC_32:

Get Free - The Vines (Okay, isn't any way Krista believes me)
(new song)

jwb:

Sunday Girl - Blondie
(new song)

Eephus:

Purple Sneakers - You Am I
(new artist)

Hov34:

Alligator - Of Monsters And Men
(new song)

Manster:

Banjo Odyssey - The Dead South
(new song)

simsarge:

I Was Made For Lovin' You - KISS (My favorite video in this list. The little girl on her dad's shoulders at the beginning makes me smile from ear to ear)
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix) - Yeah Yeah Yeahs; A-Trak
(Yeah Yeah Yeahs – new song; A-Trak – new artist)

Doug B:

Cult Of Personality - Living Colour
(second vote today!)

westerberg:

Seek & Destroy - Metallica
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Burden - Opeth
(new song)

higgins:

(Nothing but) Flowers - Talking Heads (UK/US mix)
(new song)

zamboni:

The Night Owls - Little River Band (Australia)
(duplicate, second vote)

Zegras11:

Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Insanely Jealous Of You - The Soft Boys
(new song)

Chaos34:

November Rain - Guns N’ Roses
(new song)

AAABatteries:

(new artist)
I'll get the playlist out soon. Been out most of the day... apologies.

timschochet:

’39 - Queen
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

Breathe Me - Sia (Australian artist)
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

(new artist)

Andy Dufresne:

Take It Easy On Me - Little River Band
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

(duplicate, second vote)

Don Quixote:

Hoppípolla - Sigur Ros (Iceland)
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Drinking Water (Aqua de Beber) - Antonio Carlos Jobim and Frank Sinatra (Brazil and US)
(both new artists)

scorchy:

Capital Punishment - :Wumpscut: (Germany)
(new artist)

shuke:

(new song)

Sullie:

Shadow Of Your Love - Guns N' Roses (Slash's hat was too big and glorious for the other threads but not for this one.)
(new song)

The Dreaded Marco:

Anthems For A Seventeen Year Old Girl - Broken Social Scene
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Distractions - Zero 7 (Australia)
(new artist)

Hawks64:

Cult of Personality - Living Colour
(new song, but two votes today!)

Mrs. Rannous:

Red Barchetta - Rush (Canada)
(new song)

titusbramble:

Kelly Watch The Stars - Air (French)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

(new song)

Ilov80s:

Things In Life - Dennis Brown
(new artist)

worrierking:

The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (US/England)
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Oh Yeah - Yello (Switzerland)
(new song)

krista4:

(both new artists)

Mt. Man:

Walk In The Shadows - Queensryche (US band, German singer)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

Baby Come Back - The Equals (Guyana)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

Incubus Succubus II - Xmal Deutschland (Germany)
(new artist)

simey:

Forget What I Said - Noora Noor (Dubai - United Arab Emirates)
(new artist)

rockaction:

Deeper Shade Of Soul - Urban Dance Squad (Netherlands)
(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

Pleasant Valley Sunday - The Monkees (Davey is British, Mike is a US guy)
(new song)

landryshat:

Let Me Be - Xavier Rudd (Australia)
(new song)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Tukoh Taka - Myriam Fares, Nicki Minaj and Maluma (Lebanon)
(Minaj – new song; Fares and Maluma – both new artists)

MAC_32:

Get Free - The Vines (Okay, isn't any way Krista believes me)
(new song)

jwb:

Sunday Girl - Blondie
(new song)

Eephus:

Purple Sneakers - You Am I
(new artist)

Hov34:

Alligator - Of Monsters And Men
(new song)

Manster:

Banjo Odyssey - The Dead South
(new song)

simsarge:

I Was Made For Lovin' You - KISS (My favorite video in this list. The little girl on her dad's shoulders at the beginning makes me smile from ear to ear)
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

Heads Will Roll (A-Trak Remix) - Yeah Yeah Yeahs; A-Trak
(Yeah Yeah Yeahs – new song; A-Trak – new artist)

Doug B:

Cult Of Personality - Living Colour
(second vote today!)

westerberg:

Seek & Destroy - Metallica
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

Burden - Opeth
(new song)

higgins:

(Nothing but) Flowers - Talking Heads (UK/US mix)
(new song)

zamboni:

The Night Owls - Little River Band (Australia)
(duplicate, second vote)

Zegras11:

Dreams - Fleetwood Mac
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

(new song)

Chaos34:

November Rain - Guns N’ Roses
(new song)

AAABatteries:

(new artist)
The very late 14s playlist
It'll be a miracle if I got this right...little bit :suds:

They are phenomenal musicians but man Lee's voice. Feel awful like our GB Uruk feels about Billy Joel :lmao:

They are phenomenal musicians but man Lee's voice. Feel awful like our GB Uruk feels about Billy Joel :lmao:
I like Geddy’s voice :shrug:

ETA: of course, I’ve also lived around cats.

Just going to say I really like Triumph and totally whiffed on them for this draft :sadbanana:

to you and @Pip's Invitation ...in looking at it, it sounds like I'm hating on Triumph. I'm not ...at all.

I knew who they were - that's about it. Shame on me.

but unless you're a mega-fan or Canadian - I just can't see anything close to a real comparison

Some excellence today.

Fight The Good Fight - Triumph (Canada) - Goodness haven't heard this in ages. Almost new to me.
Take It Easy On Me - Little River Band - Love the LRB.
Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson (feat. Bruno Mars) - like others have said, not my usual jam but man this is super catchy. I liked it then and still do.
Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five - Wings - In the running for my favorite from them.
Red Barchetta - Rush - Moving Pictures is a great album, and this song is such a good jam.
I Was Made For Lovin' You - KISS - KISS does disco. I loved it.
The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Gotta love deep introspctive Jimi.
Seek & Destroy - Metallica - I play this at the gym all the time. Metallica at their thrashiest.
The Night Owls - Little River Band - again with the LRB. So good. My first screen name back in 1991 was Night Owl (hence my avatar).
Dreams - Fleetwood Mac - such a nice smooth 70's sound.
November Rain - Guns N’ Roses - Every quasi metal band has to do a power ballad. Most are awful (Poison...). This one is good.
Summer In The City - The Lovin' Spoonful - The most 70's sounding mid 60's song ever.

krista4:

(both new artists)
Oliver Humanzee:

(new song)

I thought I'd picked up my song today, "Where Does The Time Go?" by The Bamboos and Aloe Blacc, from the last Genrepalooza, so I did a search to see who had chosen it in that draft and found that it was...me. :lol: So I don't know where I first heard this, but I've been obsessed with it for a few years. My favorite Aussie funk!

OH's selection is my second-favorite from the Soft Boys, and now I wish I'd selected it so that I could own it. Still angry about that whole The Clean thing. :hot:

10 known favorites from this round excluding past songs. I like more than what is listed.

Pleasant Valley Sunday - 🌼 This song is so easy and breezy.
The Wind Cries Mary - My favorite JHE song.
Dreams - Mellow yellow. I've always liked the beat of this song.
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five - It was always cool how Paul could change his voice around.
Sunday Girl - My favorite Blondie album.
Get Free - I can see how someone can get The Vines and The Hives mixed up.
I Was Made for Loving You - Do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do
Summer in the City - oldie goldie
Drinking Water - Francis and Antonio made some good music together.
Fight the Good Fight - I had this album in high school.

A few unknown favorites

Banjo Odyssey 🪕
Alligator
Deeper Shade of Soul
Things in Life
Where Does the Time Go?
Burden
Hoppipolla

I didn't know the backstory of Triumph, so this was all interesting to me. They were huge in my house growing up as my older brother was a big fan. Triumph fans will be heartened by their showing here, I think.
I've been the only Triumph fan in many social circles throughout life, so it's nice to know that's not the case here.

Don’t let OH near the Triumph documentary then. He may like them even more people-wise.

I don't think that would bother him so much, since as far as I know he doesn't hate their music. They've never come up, so I'm not sure.
Their music doesn't seem like it would be up his alley, but it doesn't have some of the things that I presume OH despises about Rush (dentist-drill vocals, side-long Randian epics, etc.) All three of them definitely seem like lovely people, though.

Last edited:

I don't think that would bother him so much, since as far as I know he doesn't hate their music. They've never come up, so I'm not sure.
Their music doesn't seem like it would be up his alley, but it doesn't have some of the things that I presume OH despises about Rush (dentist-drill vocals, side-long Randian epics, etc.) All three of them definitely seem like lovely people, though.
Another thing to make fun of Jann Wenner about:

In one of the Rolling Stone album guides, the writer of the Triumph entry accuses them of being fascists, which is a hilarious and yet sad misread of their lyrics.

ETA: I wouldn't be surprised if the writer didn't listen to the songs at all and misread the intent of the album titles Rock and Roll Machine, Progressions of Power and Allied Forces.

New-to-me favorites from #18:

Shadow Of Your Love -- Guns N' Roses (Sullie). This is kind of cheating because it's an outtake from one of my favorite albums of all time, but damn if it isn't in the same ballpark as the songs that made the record.
Where Does The Time Go? -- The Bamboos ft. Aloe Blacc (Krista4), Great groove on this one.
Insanely Jealous Of You -- The Soft Boys (OH). I wasn't sure where this was going at first, but the buildup and climax are <chef's kiss>.
Burden -- Opeth (KarmaPolice). Another prog metal song that I dig. It sounded more "modern" than the other Opeth song so I ranked it slightly lower than that one.

New-to-me favorites from #18:

Shadow Of Your Love -- Guns N' Roses (Sullie). This is kind of cheating because it's an outtake from one of my favorite albums of all time, but damn if it isn't in the same ballpark as the songs that made the record.
Where Does The Time Go? -- The Bamboos ft. Aloe Blacc (Krista4), Great groove on this one.
Insanely Jealous Of You -- The Soft Boys (OH). I wasn't sure where this was going at first, but the buildup and climax are <chef's kiss>.
Burden -- Opeth (KarmaPolice). Another prog metal song that I dig. It sounded more "modern" than the other Opeth song so I ranked it slightly lower than that one.
Not sure what you mean by that last part.

Users who are viewing this thread