What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (3 Viewers)

Good god, I can't imagine a worse quote. I have some choice words for someone.

Here is another topic that is designed to increase discussion and participation in the FFA. ( Point to note, this is a discussion where all parties involved or to be discussed are considered legal consenting adults )

I believe this topic has absolutely no chance of delving into real world public policy issues, public administration conflict and generally anything politically related as long as people don't try to derail it with more complicated discussion invoking minors. Again, let's stick to a criteria involving those at or above the age of majority here.

How anal does one have to be to bring up something like this?
You're kidding, right? In this group? After "Thunderstruck", Lita Ford, Van Halen, etc? We are so picky, it hurts.

(MR R picked "Thunderstruck" when he realised the drummer in the video was a different guy. A little research, and waalaa.)

Last edited:
Raveonettes - Dead Sound (rockaction)

Probably the sweetest-sounding diss track ever. The music is totally waylaid by the lyrics here.

I picked this because I just love the percussive chimes (or whatever that synth instrument is) throughout. It was my ring tone for a long time and people always would ask what it was. It has sort of an ethereal yet rock vibe (with reverb) and Sharin Foo's vocals mixed with Sune Wagner's are in nice harmony and form here. The Raveonettes might not have broken too many new barriers, and were more camp than I would have gone for, but they made it all sound so heavy, distorted, and sweet.
I think it's a programmable synth. I really like this one. What of theirs should I try next?

(So many effects pedals. The Edge sucks when he does this as far as I'm concerned, but these folks can rock on.)

[*]I will be honest, I never realized I'm Not Your Steppin Stone was The Monkees. WTF this blew my mind.
Funny. Me too. I couldn't believe it.
What!? It's like the most ubiquitous Monkey's song ever.
Not really.
Was supposed to be a sarcastic/funny flashback to the earlier discussion about songs people should know. I'll show myself out :bag:
I got it. But then, I'm a Monkees fan. Having Mickey as the lead vocalist seems to confuse people.

No teasers tonight and not sure I'll put in any effort on this again, other than posting the daily lists and announcing winners of contests. Not worth my time or love.

What's crazy is that all week I had thought I'd post at the end of this week to say what a fantastic countdown this had been. Until today (and setting aside our people getting banned!), it had been so positive and fun, with excellent discussion and so much great music. Better for me even than the first one. Obviously I don't think that now. But thanks to most of you for really making it a great time...for a while.
I am genuinely not sure what the problem has been for you. It all seems hunky dory to me.

And I love the teasers. Sigh.

Ooh...movie talk. Later tonight I'll be watching the long sought after by me free stream of Leave Her To Heaven.
Gene is something else in that movie. Just sears the screen.
Fantastic movie, I think Andy might just dig this one.
It was all right. The sad part is life imitating art with Tierney herself having mental illness.

I wonder how her character was perceived in 1945, before there was more sympathy for mental illness. Ellen wasn't just possessive, she was sick. Her character is rather sympathetic in 2023.

It was a good performance by Tierney though. It's always about the subtleties for me and she had them in spades.

I think it's a programmable synth. I really like this one. What of theirs should I try next?

(So many effects pedals. The Edge sucks when he does this as far as I'm concerned, but these folks can rock on.)

Pretty sure you're right about the programmable synth.

I would start with the album that "Dead Sound" is off of, Lust Lust Lust. "You Want the Candy" and "Sad Transmission" are two favorites of mine off of that album.

The two first records, Whip It On and Chain Gang Of Love are two of their two best and a nice summation of the band.

Later in their career they would depart from straight up campy rock n' roll with the more gothic Raven in the Grave and their more experimental Pe'ahi.

I like Pe'ahi, but I've never really sat with it proper. It only comes out every so often and I dig it when I hear it.

Five-Point Selections:

scorchy:

Hallucination Generation - Gruesome Twosome (Norway, France, Israel)
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Without A Sound - Headstones (Canada)
(new song)

titusbramble:

Out Of The Blue - System F (Dutch)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Vidage - 1000mods (Greece)
(new artist)

rockaction:

Dead Sound - The Raveonettes (Denmark)
(new song)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

A Wanderer In The Sleepy City - Wu Qing-feng (feat. Rufus Wainwright) (Taiwan)
(both new artists)

zamboni:

Yo Ya - Kazeret (Israel)
(new artist)

Oliver Humanzee:

Fur Immer - Neu!
(new artist)
These are my favorites new to me today.

I've heard some of the Ravonettes and Neu!, but not these 2 songs. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure to love anything Rufus Wainwright is involved with.....
The other artists are totally new to me.

The band from my list tomorrow is obviously in deep debt to @zamboni's choice from today.

There's a scene in the 1990s mini-series version of Stephen King's The Stand where a couple of characters listen to the 45 RPM "Don't Dream It's Over". Needle drops, scratchy guitar comes in, and that bass hits. It's one of the most perfect music-to-scene moments I've ever seen. The film itself is cheesy as hell, but they nailed it here.

I don't even know if the song was released on vinyl (I had it on CD), but it's one of those that I'd play for an alien asking "what is a record?". It's a perfect thing, up there with "Midnight Train To Georgia", "Bernadette", "Ticket To Ride", "Go Your Own Way", "One Fine Day", and everything Grand Funk ever released. I'm a Boomer - sue me.

Neil Finn is a ****ing genius. His melodies just slay me. I don't even know what he's singing half the time, but I'm all in anyway.

No teasers tonight and not sure I'll put in any effort on this again, other than posting the daily lists and announcing winners of contests. Not worth my time or love.

What's crazy is that all week I had thought I'd post at the end of this week to say what a fantastic countdown this had been. Until today (and setting aside our people getting banned!), it had been so positive and fun, with excellent discussion and so much great music. Better for me even than the first one. Obviously I don't think that now. But thanks to most of you for really making it a great time...for a while.
I am genuinely not sure what the problem has been for you. It all seems hunky dory to me.

As I already mentioned, in addition to the ****ty posts in the thread, I received additional crap and drama via PM. Over and over and over. So no, nothing is “hunky dory.” Glad you liked the teasers.

There's a scene in the 1990s mini-series version of Stephen King's The Stand where a couple of characters listen to the 45 RPM "Don't Dream It's Over". Needle drops, scratchy guitar comes in, and that bass hits. It's one of the most perfect music-to-scene moments I've ever seen. The film itself is cheesy as hell, but they nailed it here.

I remember this scene from the relatively underrated miniseries well; it was Molly Ringwald as Frannie Goldsmith and Corin Nemec as Harold Lauder. That series had a lot of pretty solid casting and some decent acting. It isn't perfect by any means. I didn't see the newest version that had James Marsden, but I got the sense it wasn't great, which is too bad - you'd figure HBO Max would blow it out or something, but we'd probably have to wait another 20 years.

Don't worry about seemingly whining, Green Goblin. You and the Doc are just fine in my book.
Oh wow, I didn't put the names together until now. :bag:
PUT. THE. BONG. DOWN.
Lol. I might need to. I was just confused wondering WTF y'all were talking about with the GG threads. I completely forgot that ingored users' threads they started don't show up. Heading to the dating one now - see you all in a month. ;)

About my song from yesterday

Playing For Change is a multimedia music project, featuring musicians and singers from across the globe, co-founded in 2002 by American Grammy award-winning music producer/engineer and award-winning film director Mark Johnson and film producer/philanthropist Whitney Kroenke.

I didn’t link the better video before so I did now.

if you YouTube the Playing For Change clips, they’re all amazing. They get some big well known artists but also guys playing the washboard in Louisiana and a guy in Italy playing mandolin.

My favorite by them is Ripple - but I chose that song in the American one (maybe?) so I let Keith unleash his inner Rastafarian.

As I already mentioned, in addition to the ****ty posts in the thread, I received additional crap and drama via PM. Over and over and over. So no, nothing is “hunky dory.” Glad you liked the teasers.
If you ran into an *** hole then you ran into an *** hole. If you ran into *** holes all day then you're the *** hole. You didn't run into *** holes all day though - you ran into one. It happens.

If you ran into an *** hole then you ran into an *** hole. If you ran into *** holes all day then you're the *** hole. You didn't run into *** holes all day though - you ran into one. It happens.
And if you work ON ###holes all day - it leads me to think you got C- grades in medical school.

Look Sharp! The Swedish duo had a few big hits, though not surprisingly, this is the one that hooked me. A little at the time, limited since high school me was not particularly adventurous musically (or a lot of ways, really). It’s gained appreciation for me and has some good flashback qualities.

In other news, to further share some love, I’m adding a category called “Dig The Vibe”. Because “Song I Enjoyed Even Though I Didn’t Understand A Word Of It” is a bit long of a category title. I reserve the right to go back and hit #28-31 for this, as I know there were a few that almost made my “didn’t know” category.

#27s
Recognized by title alone: 17
Sounded familiar: 4
Knew from this countdown: 2
Didn't know: 20

Selected Favorites:
Big Time Sensuality (DrIanMalcolm)
(I’m Not Your) Stepping Stone (Mrs. Rannous)
Take the Long Way Home (simey)
The Zoo (jwb) - Add my <3 to this. Top song from them. I could possibly just listen to the chorus for 5 minutes.

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Wishing Well (Pip’s Invitation)
The Bleeding Heart Show (worrierking)
Dead Sound (rockaction)
A Wanderer In The Sleeping City (John Madden’s Lunchbox) - Soft, haunting, and fairly delightful. I expect to hear more of this in the future.
-
Dig The Vibe: Amor de Mis Amores (ilov80s)

Playing For Change is a multimedia music project, featuring musicians and singers from across the globe, co-founded in 2002 by American Grammy award-winning music producer/engineer and award-winning film director Mark Johnson and film producer/philanthropist Whitney Kroenke.

if you YouTube the Playing For Change clips, they’re all amazing. They get some big well known artists but also guys playing the washboard in Louisiana and a guy in Italy playing mandolin.

My favorite by them is Ripple - but I chose that song in the American one (maybe?) so I let Keith unleash his inner Rastafarian.
Welcome back Doc!
Sorry if you didn't want your Goblin secret identity outed but my Spidey sense was tingling

Welcome back Doc!
Sorry if you didn't want your Goblin secret identity outed but my Spidey sense was tingling
Ha, no worries.

:goodposting:

Same here.

Users who are viewing this thread