What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (4 Viewers)

Nineteen-Point Selections:

scorchy:

1- So What? - Ministry (Cuba, US, UK)
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

2- Nothing Else Matters - Metallica (Denmark, US)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:
3-
Einsamer Hirte (The Lonely Shepherd) - Gheorghe Zamfir (Romania)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

4-An Irish Pub Song - The Rumjacks (Australia)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

5-Forbidden Colours - David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto (Japan)
(both new artists)
jwb:

6-For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica
(new song)

Doug B:

7-Rock Me Amadeus (Gold Mix) - Falco
(new song)

westerberg:

8-Handle With Care - The Traveling Wilburys
(new artist)

AAABatteries:

9-One Way Or Another - Blondie
(new song)
The Nineteens and the right to not Spoil
1- Damn never thought to look up Ministry. Cuba you say? Damn a vacant slot for me too. Noticed a few other Cuban selections throughout and its one country i didnt put into the search engines. Something from Psalm 69 definitely makes my top 31. This is a nice track. So What?

2- Have a feeling we will see a bit of Metallica to come. Not from me though. I had more fun with Denmark. Depending on which Metallica fan you talk to, the stage at which they “sold out” varies. Their first video clip? One? The Black album? Napster? Does any fan think they never sold out? I always enjoyed this somg and the Black album though

3- Romania presented me with a conundrum. Love Enigma, so Return to Innocence and Sadeness (Part 1), even Mea Culpa (Part II) has its charm. Enigma were very unique so suited my list perfectly, but Georghe Zamfir is even more unique. Some may talk the talk about peruvian nose flutes, but pan flute sounds so beautiful.....for a short while anyway. One song will do, so chose his most famous one.

4- The comment about The Lonely Shepherd being followed by The Irish Pub song forced me to check it out lol. Interesting that its a critique about the commercial and inauthentic them of Irish Pubs etc. Of course no one listens to lyrics so its on deaf ears and rich in irony. Like that James Blunt song “You’re Beautiful” being seen as romantic. Hes a stalker chasing a chick out of his league lol. Same with Every Breath You Take by the Police. A stalker song. This song is fun and infectious though. Great vibe.

5- Not that big a fan of Japan the band, but this song from David Sylvian with Japanese artist Ryuichi Sakamoto of Yellow Magic Orchestra really resonated with me. Curiously checking up on Japan, im not sure if they were eligible for the British draft or not. Mick Karn was born in “British” Cyprus, but the country soon after became its own country, Cyprus. This “born in” gets complicated real quick.
Anyway, Forbidden Colours. Loved the movie with Bowie in it and this song fits in beautifully with it.

6- Back to Metallica again. Not sure anyone could say they sold out by this point? Loved the bands response to the Sell Out questions....”We Sell out every night we play”.

7- Always curious when someone picks an alternate mix. According to wiki there are 21 ****ing mixes of this song and this was the original. Anyone with all 21 copies needs certifying.

8- The Wilburys album was so damn good. Inspired and almost improvised and fortuitous genius. I know people rip Jeff Lynne, but he is the glue that holds this potential mess together. How the album slips from a Bob Dylan, to a George to a Tom Petty to an Orbison song, with the collaboration on every track. It is a work of wonder. It flows so beautifully.

9- Damn, is only Pretty Baby not getting a look from the album tracks on Parallel Lines? This is at least the fourth one I think. When i played this for my daughters, they thought someone was covering Take 5 lol

My top 5 from the 20 point round, excluding my own selection and prior to listening to the songs new to me:
  1. Mt. Man: Fade To Black - Metallica
  2. simey: The Wind Cries Mary - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
  3. New Binky the Doormat: Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
  4. Val Rannous: Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf
  5. jwb: Band On The Run - Wings

My top 5 from the 21 point round, excluding my own selection and prior to listening to the songs new to me:
  1. Mrs. Rannous: Somebody To Love - Queen
  2. jwb: Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
  3. higgins: No One Like You - Scorpions
  4. Doug B: Synchronicity II - The Police
  5. Andy Dufresne: Overkill - Colin Hay
These are my #2 and #3 favorite songs by Queen. 👍

New-to-me favorites from #12:

Brighton Rock -- Queen (OTB). Another non-radio song from them that I don't know. This is as good a showcase for Brian May as anything.
The Dawn -- Osibisa (Landryshat). More goodness from the early days of "Afrobeat."
Holy Wars....The Punishment Due -- Megadeth (Manster). Holy moly, that's some pretty punishing guitar work.
Senegal Fast Food -- Amadou and Mariam (feat. Manu Chao) (Ilov80s). There is so much random stuff going on here. It shouldn't work, but it does.

Last edited:
And there's the song I totally whiffed on. Thanks for picking it. I feel like a doofus.

Welcome to my world. It mek two of us.

Seriously, "Isrealites" the day on the same Easter Sunday as "Guns of Navarone." Great minds and all. Two ska specials for you all. Toast!

On that note, happy Easter if you worship; happy Sunday if you just want that light ska feeling in the sun today. (It's beautiful here. 78 and sunny. Makes me think of the ska, you heard?)

GUNS ... of Navarone!

FIRE!

a skankin' ska Sunday, indeed

i always considered that more of an instrumental, as the vocal mix on that live version is faded, at best - but it always worked for me as an exhibition of their pure power - a headbanger with lead trombone ... the essence.

they were the biggest thing in England for a hot minute, and here's their fist.

"Isrealites" merits all the luv it's being shown - more to say on both of these acts, but let's see what the countdown tells us before i slam all that out.

Last edited:
worrierking:

The Afterlight - Robyn Hitchcock & the Venus 3 (England/US)
(new artist)

It's catchy and has clever lyrics. Why wouldn't I love this song. Also, it's eligible because of the Americans in the backing band the Venus 3, which includes Peter Buck. Does Peter Buck hold the record for most side projects in Rock and Roll history? Off the top of my head, I know he's been in The Hindu Love Gods, The Minus 5, The Baseball Project, Tired Ponys and Filthy Friends and I am sure I am missing some.

worrierking:

Sufficiently Breathless - Captain Beyond (US/England)
(new artist)

Captain Beyond is a proggy 70s band featuring former members of Deep Purple (English), Johnny Winter's Band and Iron Butterfly (both American). This is their only song of any notoriety.

I had a miserable weekend with a stomach bug. I was barely able to lift my phone to check on the thread. I'll catch up when work slows down.

New-to-me favorites from #12:

Brighton Rock -- Queen (OTB). Another non-radio song from them that I don't know. This is as good a showcase for Brian May as anything.

it's another opening track, just like "Play The Game" ... and a very ballsy one, at that.

"SHEER HEART ATTACK" PRAISE POST REDUX FOLLOWS:

"Sheer Heart Attck" was quite the departure from the prog metal noodlings of their first two albums - "SHA" was leaner and meaner, and had a pronounced flair and edge to it that the first two sorely lacked - was the birth of the Queen we would all come to know and (in most cases) love.

immediately after Brighton Rock's fury stops, the finger snapping of "Killer Queen" begins - those two couldn't be any further from each other in style and production, but i think they are as crucial an opening pair of tracks as any album packs - the segue of a behemoth being unleashed.

"BR" showed that they could work some menace and muscle into their repertoire, while not sacrificing much of their bombast, while "KQ" proved that they could be viable players on the pop charts, punctuated by unleashing the full camp/vamp stylings of Freddie. big gamble from them & producer Roy Thomas Baker - but it hit BIG.

"SHA" also featured great songwriting turns from Taylor & Deacon, setting precedent for their future hit writing forays.

.... and would be remiss if i didn't acknowledge the beginning of Freddie's "granny tune" schtick ... we hear it about Macca constantly, but Freddie laid some AARP schmaltz out there himself ... a few of which make "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da" sound like Black Metal in comparision 😅

but small price to pay (only one song) off of this incredible milestone platter from them - i chose it in the last album draft here, and it will forever be one of my Desert Island Discs.

10/10, would bang forever.

Twenty-Two-Point Selections:

timschochet:

Mr. Soul - Buffalo Springfield
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

Cool Change - Little River Band (Australian and English band members)
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

Invisible Sun - The Police (UK/US)
(duplicate, second vote)

Andy Dufresne:

Now We Are Free - Hans Zimmer
(new artist)

DrIanMalcolm:

Bamboleo - Gipsy Kings (France)
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads (US-Scotland: David Byrne, Scotland; others US)
(duplicate, third vote)

Dr. Octopus:

All Along The Watchtower - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (US and UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

scorchy:

Fade To Black - Metallica (U.S., Denmark)
(duplicate, second vote)

shuke:

Down By The River - Neil Young …...........Canadian
(new song)

From shuke: REQUESTED ANY LIVE VERSION OR IF NOT AVAILABLE THEN SKIP ON PLAYLIST

Sullie:

It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock ‘N’ Roll) - AC/DC (Mates from down under)
(duplicate, second vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Hyperballad - Bjork
(new song)

Mister CIA:

Am I In Heaven? - King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard (Australia)
(new song)

Hawks64:

Jamie's Cryin - Van Halen
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Oh Yeah - Yello (Switzerland)
(duplicate, second vote)

titusbramble:

Babe, I'm On Fire - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Australian)
(new song)

Raging weasel:

Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood Mac
(duplicate, third vote)

Ilov80s:

Not - Big Thief
(new song)

worrierking:

We Used To Wait - Arcade Fire (Canada/US)
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet (Australia)
(new song)

krista4:

Take On Me (MTV Unplugged version) - A-ha (Norway)
(new artist, but see below for second song today)

(@Ilov80s , beware of hyphen in artist name)
(@Hawks64 , must be this version)

Mt. Man:

So Lonely - The Police (English band, US drummer)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

Galaxy - War (Denmark)
(new song)

otb_lifer:

Suzanne - Leonard Cohen (Canada)
(new song)

simey:

Misguided Angel - Cowboy Junkies (Canada)
(new song)

rockaction:

Guantanamera - Wyclef Jean (feat. Lauryn Hill) (Haiti)
(both new artists)

New Binky the Doormat:

Don't Speak - No Doubt (bassist Tony Kanal is identified as British-American)
(new song)

landrys hat:

La Mar - The Beautiful Girls (Australia)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Foot Of The Mountain - A-ha (Norway)
(second song from this new artist today)

MAC_32:

Get Lucky - Daft Punk (feat. Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) (The french are *** holes, Lloyd)
(duplicate, second vote)

jwb:

Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills & Nash
(duplicate, third vote)

Eephus:

Gangsters - The Specials
(new song)

Hov34:

Gooey - Glass Animals
(new artist)

Manster:

Dyers Eve - Metallica
(new song)

simsarge:

Hooked On A Feeling - Blue Suede (As it turns out this song's author, one Mark James, also wrote Suspicious Minds, Always On My Mind, Raised on Rock, Moody Blue and It's Only Love for some guy commonly referred to as The King. The song was originally recorded by BJ Thomas with a kind of a country twang and a sitar. It was redone by a guy named Jonathan King with the cool orchestra arrangement and best of all.....OOGA CHAKA - OOGA OOGA - OOGA CHAKAs!! He had some online interaction about the song years ago on You Tube here.)
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Gotta Get Thru This (D'N'D Radio Edit) - Daniel Bedingfield; D'N'D Productions
(both new artists)

Doug B:

Don't Change - INXS
(duplicate, third vote)

westerberg:

California - Joni Mitchell
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Talking Heads
(new song)

higgins:

Terra - Marta Pereira da Costa (Portugal)
(new artist)

zamboni:

Sign Of The Gypsy Queen - April Wine (Canada)
(new artist)

Zegras11:

Another Man's Woman - Supertramp
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Israelites - Desmond Dekker
(duplicate, second vote)

Chaos34:

One - Metallica
(new song)

AAABatteries:

The Unforgiven - Metallica
(new song)

Last edited:
It appears that @KarmaPolice was coming to us from the future yesterday with one of his posts.

In addition, we'll have an Ace Award guess taken tomorrow, but...it will simultaneously be knocked out of the competition when the artist also has a second song selected.

Four Metallica songs today, KP!

Also:

Ace Award Guesses:

Two votes:

The Final Countdown – Europe

Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil

One vote:

Lovefool -- The Cardigans

Battle Scar – Max Webster – 18 points

99 Luftballons – Nena – 29 points

For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield

Some Like It Hot - Power Station

Take On Me - A-ha

Heaven and Hell- Black Sabbath

Don't Dream It's Over - Crowded House

This Beat Goes On/Switching to Glide – The Kings – One point

Major Tom (Coming Home) - Peter Schilling

Layla - Derek & the Dominoes

Cult of Personality – Living Colour

David Bowie for “Under Pressure” – David Bowie and Queen – 17 points

Take On Me - A-ha

This would have been my guess for the Ace Award, too.

The version I selected today is chilling. I nearly cry at the beauty every time I listen. The original song and iconic video are terrific, too, but the MTV Unplugged is the one I always come back to. (Also, the lead singer makes me want to throw my panties at him.)

hey, I just wanna age as well as that dude ...wow

narrator: his wish did not come true

timschochet:

(new song)

What I said in my Neil countdown:

38. Mr. Soul (Buffalo Springfield Again, 1967)
Because those in charge thought his voice was too unconventional, Neil's best songs on Buffalo Springfield's debut album were sung by Richie Furay. But on their second album, Neil grabbed the spotlight and never relinquished it. He earned the most attention with this one, a thunderous rocker patterned after the Stones. Acoustic versions are just as revelatory, as he brings to them a gravitas you'd expect from early 20th-century country blues artists. Despite the band having only one hit under its belt at the time, the lyrics already show Neil to be skeptical of fame and what comes along with it.
This is also technically the only vocoder song on the list, as for some reason Neil re-recorded it for Trans.

shuke:

(new song)

What I said in my Neil countdown (warning: long, like the song):

3. Down by the River (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
You know those "child or person from a different culture reacts to hearing a great song for the first time" videos that are all the rage these days? That was me at age 11 (?) when I first heard this song.

Composed along with Cinnamon Girl and Cowgirl in the Sand when Neil was laid up in bed with a fever, this is an early and prime example how Neil and Crazy Horse create jams that are simple on paper but offer so much on each listen. Moving at a more relaxed pace than Cowgirl, Neil twists his way through the jams with staccato blasts (Wikipedia says that at one point, he plays the same note 38 times in a row) but never finds a rut; each measure brings slight variations that open up new possibilities. Live, this takes off and reaches tremendous heights, especially if Neil is playing with a foil such as Stephen Stills or, on one memorable occasion, Phish's Trey Anastasio.

Writing in Rolling Stone, Trey summed up the appeal of Neil's playing on this track well: "If I was ever going to teach a master class to young guitarists, the first thing I would play them is the first minute of Neil Young's original "Down by the River" solo. It's one note, but it's so melodic, and it just snarls with attitude and anger. It's like he desperately wants to connect."

Lyrically, the song fits into the folk and blues tradition of murder ballads. In 1970, Neil demurred on this, saying the song had "no real murder" and "was about blowing your thing with a chick," but in 1984 he said it was about a guy who had trouble controlling his anger and took things too far when he found his partner cheated, and the song was from his perspective while passing time in a holding cell.

In 1969-70, Neil preferred to keep his CSNY and Crazy Horse endeavors separate, but this is the one song he played regularly with both. On most nights, it was the high point of CSNY's 1969 tour and the early 1970 tour with Crazy Horse. The song is such a grabber that Reprise released it as a single (cut down to 3:35).

I have witnessed two transcendent versions, in 2000 with CSNY and in 2015 with Promise of the Real (the latter is linked below). These are among the greatest performances I have ever seen in concert, with Stills in 2000 and Lukas Nelson in 2015 pushing Neil to incredible heights.

Another version of personal significance is when Neil jammed on this with Phish at Farm Aid 1998 (also linked below). That was the first year I had internet access, and the first thing I did when I got it was join Phish and Neil discussion groups. When this collaboration happened, it helped me better integrate into both groups, as I got to explain Neil to the Phish fans and Phish to the Neil fans. This was the start of a lifetime of online ponitificating, resulting in things such as this list. What's particularly amusing about that collaboration is that it wasn't supposed to happen. Phish had learned Powderfinger and asked Neil if he would play it with them. Neil was evasive about it, and the band soon learned why: that's what he chose to close his own set with. Figuring there would be no Neil collaboration, Phish decided to finish their set with a jam of Runaway Jim; as it was winding down, Neil walked onstage with Trey's backup guitar (he had only brought acoustics to the gig) and led them through a noise jam and into Down by the River, which the band had never played before. But they found their footing quickly and treated us to 20 minutes of a hard-edged guitar duel between Neil and Trey; CMT was broadcasting the event live and was NOT pleased that it took forever before they could cut to commercial. But thankfully they showed the whole thing. Oh, and Trey lost one of his eyeglass lenses during the jam and played the rest of it half-blind. Trey tells the story here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x5qLS9BkiY

On The Rust List, the Neil discussion group that I joined, it was customary for regular posters to adopt a handle named after a Neil song title or lyric. In honor of the Farm Aid performance being my integration into the group, I chose "Be on My Side, I'll Be on Your Side."

BANGIN' ROUND!

Oooooga-chakka, OooogaOooogaOoooga-chakka! (glad they made it.)

GANGSTERS! (woulda been my Specials pick if "GoN" live didn't exist)

So Lonely! (woulda been my Cops selection)

Misguided Angel - every "bad boy" loves you eternally for this, Margo 🖤

One - my disdain for them (mostly Lars) aside, that is as face ripping once it starts chuggin' as some the more extreme audio nasties i love.

ISRAELITES - sounds so nice, we get to now hear it twice 🤘

Jamie's Cryin' - Eddie proving he didn't have to solo bang, and also how melodic he could be on call

Are You Gonna Be My Girl - one of the most refreshing "new" tunes i can recall - just a bust to the chops, such swagger and balls - and unapologetically so.

you done good, yo!

worrierking:

We Used to Wait - Arcade Fire (Canada/US)
(new song)

I kept hearing about Arcade Fire in the late 00s. I heard a few songs occasionally and I found some stuff online but nothing ever clicked. Until this one. I understand it's not all that well thought of among fans and critics, but I think the verse/chorus/bridge changes are excellent and love the increasing energy at the end.

Twenty-Two-Point Selections:

timschochet:

(new song)

Just Win Baby:

Cool Change - Little River Band (Australian and English band members)
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate, second vote)

Andy Dufresne:

Now We Are Free - Hans Zimmer
(new artist)

DrIanMalcolm:

Bamboleo - Gipsy Kings (France)
(new artist)

Don Quixote:

Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads (US-Scotland: David Byrne, Scotland; others US)
(duplicate, third vote)

Dr. Octopus:

All Along The Watchtower - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (US and UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

scorchy:

Fade To Black - Metallica (U.S., Denmark)
(duplicate, second vote)

shuke:

(new song)

From shuke: REQUESTED ANY LIVE VERSION OR IF NOT AVAILABLE THEN SKIP ON PLAYLIST

Sullie:

It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock ‘N’ Roll) - AC/DC (Mates from down under)
(duplicate, second vote)

The Dreaded Marco:

Hyperballad - Bjork
(new song)

Mister CIA:

Am I In Heaven? - King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard (Australia)
(new song)

Hawks64:

Jamie's Cryin - Van Halen
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Oh Yeah - Yello (Switzerland)
(duplicate, second vote)

titusbramble:

Babe, I'm On Fire - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Australian)
(new song)

Raging weasel:

Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood Mac
(duplicate, third vote)

Ilov80s:

Not - Big Thief
(new song)

worrierking:

We Used To Wait - Arcade Fire (Canada/US)
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet (Australia)
(new song)

krista4:

Take On Me (MTV Unplugged version) - A-ha (Norway)
(new artist, but see below for second song today)

(@Ilov80s , beware of hyphen in artist name)
(@Hawks64 , must be this version)

Mt. Man:

So Lonely - The Police (English band, US drummer)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

Galaxy - War (Denmark)
(new song)

otb_lifer:

Suzanne - Leonard Cohen (Canada)
(new song)

simey:

Misguided Angel - Cowboy Junkies (Canada)
(new song)

rockaction:

Guantanamera - Wyclef Jean (feat. Lauryn Hill) (Haiti)
(both new artists)

New Binky the Doormat:

Don't Speak - No Doubt (bassist Tony Kanal is identified as British-American)
(new song)

landrys hat:

La Mar - The Beautiful Girls (Australia)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Foot Of The Mountain - A-ha (Norway)
(second song from this new artist today)

MAC_32:

Get Lucky - Daft Punk (feat. Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) (The french are *** holes, Lloyd)
(duplicate, second vote)

jwb:

Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills & Nash
(duplicate, third vote)

Eephus:

Gangsters - The Specials
(new song)

Hov34:

Gooey - Glass Animals
(new artist)

Manster:

Dyers Eve - Metallica
(new song)

simsarge:

Hooked On A Feeling - Blue Suede (As it turns out this song's author, one Mark James, also wrote Suspicious Minds, Always On My Mind, Raised on Rock, Moody Blue and It's Only Love for some guy commonly referred to as The King. The song was originally recorded by BJ Thomas with a kind of a country twang and a sitar. It was redone by a guy named Jonathan King with the cool orchestra arrangement and best of all.....OOGA CHAKA - OOGA OOGA - OOGA CHAKAs!! He had some online interaction about the song years ago on You Tube here.)
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Gotta Get Thru This (D'N'D Radio Edit) - Daniel Bedingfield; D'N'D Productions
(both new artists)

Doug B:

Don't Change - INXS
(duplicate, third vote)

westerberg:

California - Joni Mitchell
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Talking Heads
(new song)

higgins:

Terra - Marta Pereira da Costa (Portugal)
(new artist)

zamboni:

Sign Of The Gypsy Queen - April Wine (Canada)
(new artist)

Zegras11:

Another Man's Woman - Supertramp
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Israelites - Desmond Dekker
(duplicate, second vote)

Chaos34:

One - Metallica
(new song)

AAABatteries:

The Unforgiven - Metallica
(new song)
The 22s playlist

@shuke - if that pick doesn't work let me know, but it seemed like it fit into your request.

It's a Metallica kinda day!

My selection Dyers Eve is off of ...And Justice for All. I got the cassette tape on my 13th birthday......I played the **** out of it!

I'm not going to whine about it too much cuz I'm a grown *** man, and I'm not going to blame my parents for much......but I grew up in fairly dysfunctional home. My parents later got divorced.....this song has always been powerful for me. It's a song about being angry with your parents for what they did, or did not do.....I can relate to it.

I've since learned to give my parents some grace.....being an adult, and raising children, along with all the other ******** you deal with can be very stressful......some people do not handle the stress well. My dad was one of those......but he's a good man.....our relationship is pretty good these days. Anyway enough of that ****! The song rocks!

before I drop my favs - a special shout out to @John Maddens Lunchbox for his rando A-Ha song pick and destroying the hopes and dreams of those who picked "Take On Me" as the Ace Award.

My "new" know favs from today

Mr. Soul - Buffalo Springfieldtimschochetthis is so Neil before he became "Neil"
Invisible Sun - The PolicePipPip has such great taste in music …I picked this one too :)
Down By The River - Neil Youngshukeso tough to just pick one Neil song - so glad my Neil pick is on the Spot
Jamie's Cryin - Van HalenHawks64hard to go wrong with these guys
Are You Gonna Be My Girl - JetVal Rannouswe're far enough removed now from the barrage of Apple ads that I can enjoy it again
Take On Me - A-hakristagreat song and amazing video back in the day
So Lonely - The PoliceMt. Manhad forgotten about this one - really enjoyed hearing it again
Hooked On A Feeling - Blue Suedesimsargelove it!!! Brings back memories of AM radio, K-TEL, and the American Bandstand
California - Joni Mitchellwesterbergone of my favorite Joni tunes
Sign Of The Gypsy Queen - April Winezambonithese guys had some great songs - very underrated

my favs from today (previously commented ...this list keeps growing!)

Once In a Lifetime - Talking HeadsDon Quixote…will appear on my list too
All Along The WatchtowerDr. Octopus
Fade To Black - Metallicascorchy
It's A Long Way To The Top - AC/DCSullie
Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood MacRaging Weasel
Get Lucky - Daft Punk w/Pharrel & NileMAC 32
Southern Cross - CSNjwb
Don't Change - INXSDoug B
Israelites - Desmond DekkerOH

new to me favs from today

Am I In Heaven? - King Gizzard And The Lizard WizardMister CIACIA always comes up with some fine lesser knowns - great tune - even better band name
Not - Big ThiefIlove80snice - never heard of these guys …giving me a R.E.M. vibe
We Used To Wait - Arcade FireworrierkingI didn't fall in love with this band like a lot of people - so I'm not cool ok, I'm hip …I know

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate, second vote)

Another one I discovered when I was glued to MTV as a tween in the early '80s. (As an American, I could watch the video, which was banned by the BBC in the UK because it had footage from The Troubles in Northern Ireland.) It's absolutely haunting, both musically and lyrically, but (unlike some of Sting's later work) it never forgets it's a song first and a message second. It's also got one of Andy Summers' best guitar solos, which perfectly complements the anguish of the people described in the lyrics.

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate, second vote)

Another one I discovered when I was glued to MTV as a tween in the early '80s. (As an American, I could watch the video, which was banned by the BBC in the UK because it had footage from The Troubles in Northern Ireland.) It's absolutely haunting, both musically and lyrically, but (unlike some of Sting's later work) it never forgets it's a song first and a message second. It's also got one of Andy Summers' best guitar solos, which perfectly complements the anguish of the people described in the lyrics.
Agreed - my favorite Police song.

How Can You Mend A Broken Heart

gotta catch up with this one, as it is one of my top 5 BG tunes.

dad took us to the Jersey shore for 2 glorious weeks every summer, without fail ... all the way up to the last summer he were alive ('77).

he rented a bungalow from one of his Canarsie buddies - cool lil' jernt, 1 block to the beach & 4 blocks to the boardwalk (Lucky Leos!), had low ceiling, plastic wrapped furniture, and a ton of Sanitas - even had the old school Corning stove top perc for coffee.

pure vintage 70s.

the first 2 songs i ever remember hearing were HCYMaBH and Admiral Halsey/Uncle Albert ... they played back to back as i white knuckled my first ever "big kid" (by that i mean 5-ish) ride - some farkakte Spider mini roller coaster ... even had some hair (which was likely painted shag carpet) on it's arms or legs or whatever the eff.

those tunes were a blaring, and greatly assisted me not hurling and/or pissing meself.

love affair, still.

Trying to catch up a bit here. Thanks to lots of work craziness (the boss is testifying before Congress next week) and a quick trip to visit my Pops, I'm still a couple of days behind.

The 18s

Known Favorites

Take Me To The River - Talking Heads (Just Win Baby)
Runnin' With The Devil - Van Halen (Pip’s Invitation)
Instant Karma! (We All Shine On) - John Lennon and Yoko Ono (Don Quixote) - I was gonna blow Pip's mind by putting this in the unknown, but I don't want anyone to think my ignorance is shtick.
Letter From An Occupant - The New Pornographers (The Dreaded Marco) - My favorite NP song
Purple Haze - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (krista4)
The Modern Age - The Strokes (John Maddens Lunchbox) - I remember this album being hyped so much in summer 2001 (and then getting delayed thanks to NYC Cops), but it was totally worth the wait.
Disposable Heroes - Metallica (Manster)
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash (AAA Batteries)

New to Me Songs I Really Liked

The Hills - The Weeknd (Ilov80s)
It Falls Apart - The Odds (worrierking)
Coming Up For Air - Grant McLennan (simey)
Reservoir - PUP (rockaction) - If this dude asked me to meet him at the reservoir, no way am I doing it.
Better Than - Lake Street Dive (Hov34)
The Ecstasy of Gold - Ennio Morricone (Chaos34) - obviously I've heard the music before, but didn't know it was anything other than a tune made for a commercial.

New-to-me favorites from #11:

Reality Fades -- Weedpacker (Manster). Holy fuzz! This is definitely up there with the Elder selections from the US draft.
10,000 Days (Wings pt. 2) -- Tool (KarmaPolice). This came out after I stopped following Tool and it's my favorite of their selections thus far.
Dove -- Cymande (Landryshat). Every bit as good as the other Cymande song, which I loved.
Khala My Friend -- Amanzaz (Don Quixote). This one has a great melody.
Do You Love Me? -- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (Mt. Man). Captivating.
Sufficiently Breathless -- Captain Beyond (Worrierking). It definitely sounds '70s, in all the best ways.

Users who are viewing this thread