What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (4 Viewers)

As of today, here are the bands to break 150. Still lots of points left to go but Queen has a commanding lead. Metallic absolutely surged this last 4 rounds.

Queen259
Metallica195
Talking Heads180
The Police174
Fleetwood Mac159
Neil Young157
The Band156
AC/DC150
I wonder, am I the only person who hasn't taken a song by any of these groups yet?

i only have Queen thus far ... soooo close to a shutout.

As of today, here are the bands to break 150. Still lots of points left to go but Queen has a commanding lead. Metallic absolutely surged this last 4 rounds.

Queen259
Metallica195
Talking Heads180
The Police174
Fleetwood Mac159
Neil Young157
The Band156
AC/DC150
I wonder, am I the only person who hasn't taken a song by any of these groups yet?

:hey:

But give me a few rounds...

I have a fighting change at catching up tonight!

22-pointer special shout-outs:
- Guilty pleasures: "Don't Speak" by No Doubt and "Hooked On A Feeling" by Blue Swede
- Hot damn, I forgot this song was so good award: "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" by Jet
- Please come back to Spotify, Joni, award to that cover of "California" :loco:
- Shoulda been shouting them out all along award to "Galaxy" by War and retroactively to the "Low Rider" selections
- :hot: shout-out: "Suzanne" by Leonard Cohen

New-to-me favorites:
- "Babe, I'm On Fire" by Nick Cave (might not technically be new to me)
- "Foot of the Mountain" by a-ha. I really need to listen to them more. Did I mention the lead singer is dreamy? OK, did I mention really dreamy?
- Silver medal: "Misguided Angel" by Cowboy Junkies, which looked like it was going to be a rare "female singer" winner for me, until the Australian judge got involved and we ended up with...
- Gold medal to "La Mar" by The Beautiful Girls

I like most everything on the playlist, but here are a few favorites excluding past songs.

The Lady Don't Mind - Little Creatures is one of my favorite albums by TH.
California Stars - My favorite Wilco tune.
The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - Great Traffic song. I dig the music in this song, and I've always liked the melody of what I guess is considered the chorus.
Redemption Song - 🙌
Like A Hurricane - Another great Neil tune.
Constant Craving - I've always liked her voice.
The Whispering Pines - Richard Manuel's turn to shine. Levon is my favorite, but they all brought something special to The Band.
Trash - 🎸
Too Many People - Big fan of the Ram album.
Bohemian Rhapsody - My favorite part starts around 4:52 and then my favorite part of all is the guitar from 5:04 to 5:10. I've always loved that part.
Both Guns N Roses songs- One hard, and one soft.
Walking on the Moon - I like the chorus, and Copeland's drumming is interesting.
Push It and End of the Line

A few unknown to me new favorites.

Powderworks
I Will Follow You Into the Dark
Borderline
Adrenaline Rush
Voodoo Chile - Cool take on the song.
Ethiopiea hagere - 🎺
Envelope
How To make Gravy

i only have Queen thus far ... soooo close to a shutout.

+1 Only Queen so far.

refresh as to which one?

Don't Stop Me Now - guilty pleasure vote

Jazz gets slagged quite a bit, especially being sammiched between NoTW & The Game, but i kinda dig it ... it's an over cooked mess, but the bits that work really work extremely well.

did i just describe the whole catalog?

Queen259
Metallica195
Talking Heads180
The Police174
Fleetwood Mac159
Neil Young157
The Band156
AC/DC150
Wavy hand.

EDIT: The selection of material for this contest is immense.

Wavy hand.

Oh yeah I know. I am entering the spreadsheet and see all the crazy picks. I am just not paying attention to who is picking what. I guess there is likely a lot of overlap on those artists. Some people have probably taken songs by several of them.

Wavy hand.

Oh yeah I know. I am entering the spreadsheet and see all the crazy picks. I am just not paying attention to who is picking what. I guess there is likely a lot of overlap on those artists. Some people have probably taken songs by several of them.

And some have taken multiple songs by the same named artists.

New-to-me favorites from #9:

Reptile -- The Church (Simey). I never came across this one. I didn't watch MTV in the late '80s and I guess the Philly radio stations never picked it up. But I like it as much as Under the Milky Way, and I like that one a lot.
Push It -- Garbage (Titusbramble). I was in my Phish rabbit hole when this came out, and so I don't remember it. Even more insistent, and much more danceable, than the hits from their first album.
Voodoo Chile -- Angelique Kidjo (DrIanMalcolm). Extraordinarily creative take on a song that's been done to death by a lot of people.
The Lady Don't Mind -- Talking Heads (Doc Oc). I only know the singles from Little Creatures. Excellent rhythms here.
Borderline -- Tame Impala (Hov34). More danceable than their other selections in this thing, but equally freaky in its own way.
How to Make Gravy -- Paul Kelly (Eephus). This is kind of odd, but the guitar sounds on the periphery make it a winner.

I did it! I caught up on three playlists. We're at a point where I don't even skip my own songs because I love them so much, but I do skip everyone else's that I already know. Sorry! Maybe tomorrow I can do a real listen through the whole thing.

Today was a little less successful for me than the 22-pointers, or maybe I was just too saturated with new music by now.

Special shout-outs!
- Gino Vannelli! I know this wasn't Andy's top choice, but it was a fun flashback.
- "Too Many People" by Paul (and Linda) - Paul does diss tracks better than John ever did.
- I've mentioned several songs I should have taken instead of leaving Nick Cave off my list, and now I've decided "The Ship Song" was the biggest omission.
- Under duress award: "Reptile" by The Church is awfully good. Marty Willson-Piper is still an *******.
- "Trash" by New York Dolls. Shocked they haven't had more love here. Small spoiler, but I fully expected them to be on OH's list, but he omitted them. Not sure if it's like when he submitted his list and I said, "No Ramones?!?!" (He did correct that one, still to come.)
- "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley - I haven't commented on his stuff because I feel woefully under-knowledgeable about this area of music. I know his big stuff, of course, but I can't reasonably say what I think is best. Except this. This is special. :heart:
- "Constant Craving" by k.d. lang - Huge "d'oh" moment when I saw this on @simsarge 's list. Stunningly beautiful. She also does an excellent "Hallelujah."

Hmmm, that's a lot of "special" shout-outs. Moving on.

New-to-me favorites:
"How to Make Gravy" by Paul Kelly. Feels familiar-ish? Maybe I heard it in a draft before?
Gold star selection: "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie. You had me at "Love of mine, some day you will die."

Zegras11:

Another Man's Woman - Supertramp
(new song)

Zegras11:

Walking On The Moon - The Police
(new song)

Been super busy again lately, but have been listening each night to the play list before turning in. Lots of great tunes and appreciate the effort of all in here.

These were my last two picks. And they represent two of my all-time fave concert memories.

Another Man's Woman is off 1975 Crisis? What Crisis? album.
I've seen a zillion concerts, and many featuring great piano players, but the Rick Davies solo at the end of this song when I saw them at Universal was the best piano solo I've ever seen live. He went about 10 extra minutes and it was just insane

Saw The Police and the US Festival and they played Walking On the Moon with a full moon above the stage. Nothing more to say..

Gold star selection: "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie. You had me at "Love of mine, some day you will die."
You and me have seen everything to see
From Bangkok to Calgary
And the soles of your shoes are all worn down
The time for sleep is now
But it's nothing to cry about
'Cause we'll hold each other soon
In the blackest of rooms

I love this song. Probably shoulda ranked it higher. We still have a lot of life to live, but I am calmly at peace whenever those first acoustic strings strum.

Newly posted known favorites:
krista4: California Stars - Billy Bragg and Wilco :heart: - pretty sneaky pick here
simey: Reptile - The Church
New Binky the Doormat: The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys - Traffic
landrys hat: Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
KarmaPolice: Wiser Time - The Black Crowes :heart:
Zegras11: Walking On The Moon - The Police
Chaos34: Like A Hurricane - Neil Young

Favorite new to me:
John Maddens Lunchbox: Envelope - Villa Nah - sounds like something that would have been played at The Bang Bang Bar in Twin Peaks.
Eephus: How To Make Gravy - Paul Kelly - has some very strong Allman Brothers Melissa undertones

ok ...we don't post personal stuff on these boards much unless GM or shuke are hammering fast food (and we love them for it)

I follow a digital artist on the twitter and she routinely asks people to throw her a picture to "treat as she will".

I just sent her one of my daughter and I at a scholarship ceremony last week for her being a small group that got additional scholarship monies for literature and language - and she turned it around and posted it!

she will do about any treatment - I sent her some monies/thanks

the beard is very recent, the only other time I have ever had a beard was for about a month when I was still in college and it was WAY too red ...and I got a lot of "Hey comes Eric the Red" comments.

Very cool!

I guess with the beard you've retired from the Ben Franklin impersonator gigs?

You and me have seen everything to see
From Bangkok to Calgary
And the soles of your shoes are all worn down
The time for sleep is now
But it's nothing to cry about
'Cause we'll hold each other soon
In the blackest of rooms

I love this song. Probably shoulda ranked it higher. We still have a lot of life to live, but I am calmly at peace whenever those first acoustic strings strum.

:goodposting:

I'm just about to start my prep for the posting of the 24-pointers, and it occurs to me that I think the #8s, or maybe the #7s, are where **** gets real. Like, in a top 10, the #9 and #10 are on the edge and might not have made it, but around #8 or #7 you're getting to those that were always solidly going to be in your top 10. So we're digging into the tippy-top, all-time favorites now, and I'm here for it. :heart:

(Now I have to go see what my #8 was and find out if I'm wrong. :lol: )

Veterans of prior countdowns might have noticed that @Val Rannous has not been posting regular updates as he previously had. This is my fault due to a miscommunication with him, but he's willing to do it if you guys would like him to. In this instance, since the tiebreaker has nothing to do with total points, I'm not sure it is worth the effort. Basically he would post a spreadsheet showing all of the entrants/entries and who is leading at a particular time (based on one point per artist correctly guessed in the top 10), which as we all know isn't usually a good snapshot of the final standings, though since we'd be starting this one later it would be closer.

So what do you all think? Yay or nay to posting prior to the end of the countdown?
Nay. Let it be a surprise at this point.

Val had already put a spreadsheet together when I posted, so I authorized him to post it if he wishes. :) He also had a nice listing of which artists were chosen x number of times, too, that I found interesting.

I'm just about to start my prep for the posting of the 24-pointers, and it occurs to me that I think the #8s, or maybe the #7s, are where **** gets real. Like, in a top 10, the #9 and #10 are on the edge and might not have made it, but around #8 or #7 you're getting to those that were always solidly going to be in your top 10. So we're digging into the tippy-top, all-time favorites now, and I'm here for it. :heart:

(Now I have to go see what my #8 was and find out if I'm wrong. :lol: )

Update: my #8 is the shizzle.

I feel like you guys must have figured out "the Tom Petty of this countdown," right? The one who has a huge number of songs with no repeats?*

*Petty did eventually have repeats, and he also ended up as a top 10 artist for the US, which this artist will not repeat here.

ditkaburgers:

Run BTS - BTS
(new artist)

@ditkaburgers has become a big BTS stan in recent years filling the boy band gap caused by the demise of One Direction. BTS is arguably the biggest group in the world right now although that may be a function of K-Pop fans' dominance of all things online. BTS' slick Pop transcends language.

"Run BTS" is a different song from "Run" which they released a few years earlier. The newer song was one of the handful of new tunes released in 2022 with their career-spanning compilation album Proof. In the promotion of its release, members of the band announced they were going on hiatus to complete their national service requirement in Korea which is like Elvis joining the army times seven.

Eephus:

How To Make Gravy - Paul Kelly
(new artist)

Paul Kelly has written a boatload of great songs over a 40+ year career but may have been too Australian for global success. His songs are short stories rich in character and detail. If he's not the Costello of Australia, then he's the Sexsmith.

"How to Make Gravy" is my favorite Christmas record for how it captures the joys of holiday gatherings with family and friends. It does so from the perspective of a narrator who'll miss the festivities because he's in jail which makes it even more poignant. When I listen to it again in December it'll be sure to bring a smile and a tear as it does every year.

I remember some Christmas songs being picked in the USA countdown but I don't think there were any since. Sorry if I've missed yours but it's been a lot of music.

Val had already put a spreadsheet together when I posted, so I authorized him to post it if he wishes. :) He also had a nice listing of which artists were chosen x number of times, too, that I found interesting.

In case you were wondering how things stood, here are the selections by the 17 entrants in the...

Charity Contest (World Edition)

PersonScore12345678910ACE SongBy
Just Win Baby8QueenFleetwood MacVan HalenAC/DCThe PoliceMetallicaTalking HeadsThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceRushINXSCult of PersonalityLiving Colour
westerberg8QueenThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceThe PoliceMetallicaNeil YoungRushAC/DCThe BandTalking HeadsFleetwood MacUnder PressureDavid Bowie/Queen
Dr. Octopus7QueenNeil YoungFleetwood MacTalking HeadsThe BandBob MarleyCSN and CSNYVan HalenMetallicaArcade FireSome Like It HotPower Station
jwb7QueenFleetwood MacThe PoliceNeil YoungMetallicaAC/DCThe PretendersTalking HeadsThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceWingsThe Beat Goes On/Switching to GlideThe Kings
Mrs. Rannous7Fleetwood MacQueenINXSAC/DCRed Hot Chili PeppersCSN and CSNYSantanaNeil YoungThe PoliceVan HalenBeds Are BurningMidnight Oil
New Binky the Doormat7The Jimi Hendrix ExperienceNeil YoungQueenCSN and CSNYMetallicaVan HalenAC/DCFleetwood MacThe PoliceRushLaylaDerek & The Dominoes
Pip’s Invitation7QueenNeil YoungFleetwood MacThe PoliceThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceBob MarleyVan HalenAC/DCGuns N' RosesTalking HeadsLovefoolThe Cardigans
Simey7QueenThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceThe BandGuns N' RosesAC/DCCSN and CSNYMetallicaFleetwood MacThe PoliceVan HalenTake On MeA-Ha
The Dreaded Marco7AC/DCThe BandCSN and CSNYINXSBob MarleyThe PoliceQueenRushTalking HeadsNeil YoungMajor Tom (Coming Home)Peter Schilling
Don Quixote6QueenThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceFleetwood MacNeil YoungVan HalenMetallicaThe BandGuns N' RosesRushLeonard CohenThe Final CountdownEurope
Manster6MetallicaThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceNeil YoungQueenThe PoliceGuns N' RosesFleetwood MacRushArcade FireVan HalenBeds Are BurningMidnight Oil
otb_lifer6QueenBob MarleyNeil YoungMetallicaGuns N' RosesRushAC/DCVan HalenThe PoliceThe Jimi Hendrix Experience99 LuftballonsNena
Val Rannous6RushQueenFleetwood MacCSN and CSNYAC/DCSantanaThe PoliceThe Traveling WilburysVan HalenNeil YoungFor What It's WorthBuffalo Springfield
Raging Weasel5QueenSantanaAC/DCVan HalenFleetwood MacThe PolicePixiesThe PretendersGuns N' RosesThe Jimi Hendrix ExperienceHeaven and HellBlack Sabbath
Sullie5RushAC/DCGuns N' RosesCSN and CSNYThe PoliceVan HalenKissRed Hot Chili PeppersMetallicaFleetwood MacBattlescarMax Webster
higgins4QueenThe PoliceVan HalenDire StraitsRushABBAThe ScorpionsBob MarleyThe PretendersTalking HeadsDon't Dream It's OverCrowded House
titusbramble3QueenThe PoliceABBABryan AdamsRed Hot Chili PeppersDaft PunkAC/DCGarbageKraftwerkArcade FireThe Final CountdownEurope

Darn, that's a lot closer than I thought it would be. When we were talking about doing this list, I remember more than one comment of "Nobody will get close to the top ten, we probably won't ever need to look at a tiebreak". :shock: And we do still have room for a change in who's out front, as the last week's worth of picks are coming up, and 3 multiple person selected artists (Marley, GnR, and Hendrix) are all currently lurking in the 11-15 range. The other fairly highly selected artists (CSNY and Rush) are both down in the 20s, but in terms of points are both only a top 1-3 pick or two off the pace. Anything could happen!!!

Last edited:
Here's how we picked as a group:

16​
Queen
15​
The Police
13​
AC/DC
13​
Fleetwood Mac
13​
Van Halen
11​
Neil Young
10​
Metallica
10​
Rush
10​
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
7​
CSN and CSNY
7​
Guns N' Roses
7​
Talking Heads
5​
Bob Marley
5​
The Band
3​
Arcade Fire
3​
INXS
3​
Red Hot Chili Peppers
3​
Santana
3​
The Pretenders
2​
ABBA
1​
Bryan Adams
1​
Daft Punk
1​
Dire Straits
1​
Garbage
1​
Kiss
1​
Kraftwerk
1​
Leonard Cohen
1​
Pixies
1​
The Scorpions
1​
The Traveling Wilburys
1​
Wings

Geez - 17 entrants, and only 16 picks for Queen? I guess it really is true that nothing is ever unanimous.

Twenty-Two-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

1- Invisible Sun - The Police (UK/US)
(duplicate, second vote)

Andy Dufresne:

2- Now We Are Free - Hans Zimmer
(new artist)

3- krista4:

Take On Me (MTV Unplugged version) - A-ha (Norway)
(new artist, but see below for second song today)

(@Ilov80s , beware of hyphen in artist name)
(@Hawks64 , must be this version)

Mt. Man:

4- So Lonely - The Police (English band, US drummer)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

5- Galaxy - War (Denmark)
(new song)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

6- Foot Of The Mountain - A-ha (Norway)
(second song from this new artist today)

MAC_32:

7- Get Lucky - Daft Punk (feat. Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers) (The french are *** holes, Lloyd)
(duplicate, second vote)

simsarge:

8- Hooked On A Feeling - Blue Suede (As it turns out this song's author, one Mark James, also wrote Suspicious Minds, Always On My Mind, Raised on Rock, Moody Blue and It's Only Love for some guy commonly referred to as The King. The song was originally recorded by BJ Thomas with a kind of a country twang and a sitar. It was redone by a guy named Jonathan King with the cool orchestra arrangement and best of all.....OOGA CHAKA - OOGA OOGA - OOGA CHAKAs!! He had some online interaction about the song years ago on You Tube here.)
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

9- Gotta Get Thru This (D'N'D Radio Edit) - Daniel Bedingfield; D'N'D Productions
(both new artists)
Catch 22 and the temptation to spoil

1 & 4 - I know we have lots of Police fans here, but I always preferred their stranger stuff like we have in these 2, than the stuff that charted high. Then again Invisible Sun reached #2 in the UK and So Lonely #6 so they were hardly failures. I guess like a lot if folk the biggest impediment to enjoying them was Sting himself. Maybe like Chris Martin and Coldplay (ducks rotten fruit and vegetables)

2- Another inspired choice here. Before he found his way with film work, he was briefly in Buggles (Video Killed the Radio star) and then played with italian electronic band Krisma who i covered in the 1977 thread. He even produced an album for the Damned in 1980, which the credits say “Over Produced by Hans Zimmer”. Moving to British film and TV work in 1982, he got a lucky break to work on the Rain Man film score in 1988. It got an oscar nomination. Great scores followed, but this is his peak work.

3 and 6 - Now i hadnt heard this unplugged version, but its stunning. Im telling you if you love this interpretation of Take on Me you are gonna absolutely love half of the mature a-ha catalog. I am gonna follow up in detail to the Krista aha post, rather than here. Aha have such a wonderful batch of material though. Instead of the synth pop delight of Take on Me, half their material is mournful, introspective beauty with Morten Harkets high pitched voice giving both a sadness and beauty to the songs chosen. Sometimes covers, most of the time originals. They are so much more than Take on Me

5- The 1977 follow up to tims rundown unearthed several gems for me. No more so than Galaxy. Such a great groove. I liked it when i heard it, but by the time I got to the rundown i realised i had it about 30 spots too low. Should have been borderline top 20.

7- Amazing that The result of Daft Punk working with the legendary Nile Rodgers and Pharrell Williams is this piece of awesomeness. Bit repetitive, but when you are onto a good thing ride it hard.

8- The Ooga Chaka addition to the standard Hooked On A Felling is one of the greatest add ons ever. Thanks for crediting Jonathan King, who had nothing to do with Blue Swede, but he took his ooga chaka version to #23 in the UK in 1971. Unfortunately in a sign of the times the B side was called “I dont want to be gay”. I havent heard it. Hopefully its satire or something. Anyway, King stole the ooga chaka from Jamaica band the Twinkle Brothers from Jamaica. I have seen King credited numerous times, but the real innovators appear to be this unheralded Jamaican artist. Both fail to capitalise on the awesomeness of the ooga chaka however, using it as a background. Blue Swede feature it and to magnificent success.

9- Daniel Bedingfield is such a strange phenomenon in music history. He had 6 top 6 singles to start his career, with 3 reaching number one in the UK. Then he disappeared. There was a car accident involved, but he was always not your usual rock star. Maybe lacking charisma or just an odd personality. Maybe success was too much, maybe he preferred songwriting for others. His sister Natasha was even more successful in the US with hits like These words, Unwritten and Pocket full of sunshine

When I saw that Krista was taking a different version of Take On Me I was hoping it was this.
I always knew it as Pipe Wrench Fight.
Btw Bunty Bailey, the girl in it. She musta been hella awful as an actress or had a terrible voice or something.
With the exposure this video gave her, her next role was a backup singer # 3 in Billy Idols To Be a Lover video
This is her filmography. As usual OMD leading the way lol

@John Maddens Lunchbox really digging Envelope, my favorite I heard while doing the spreadsheet updates. '

Also the Traffic selection, I forget how great that song is from time to time
Thanks. Heard about it on the OMD forum. So did the band. They were so impressed they booked them to support them on their European tour. I was living in the UK at the time so saw numerous dates.
Always made me smile when I saw someone buying the Villa Nah album Origin and T Shirts at the merchandising area.
Band did one great album, couldnt get a cohesive release after that or a record contract lol. Envelope is the best 80s synth pop song ive hear since the 80s.

ditkaburgers:

Run BTS - BTS
(new artist)

@ditkaburgers has become a big BTS stan in recent years filling the boy band gap caused by the demise of One Direction. BTS is arguably the biggest group in the world right now although that may be a function of K-Pop fans' dominance of all things online. BTS' slick Pop transcends language.

"Run BTS" is a different song from "Run" which they released a few years earlier. The newer song was one of the handful of new tunes released in 2022 with their career-spanning compilation album Proof. In the promotion of its release, members of the band announced they were going on hiatus to complete their national service requirement in Korea which is like Elvis joining the army times seven.

Eephus:

How To Make Gravy - Paul Kelly
(new artist)

Paul Kelly has written a boatload of great songs over a 40+ year career but may have been too Australian for global success. His songs are short stories rich in character and detail. If he's not the Costello of Australia, then he's the Sexsmith.

"How to Make Gravy" is my favorite Christmas record for how it captures the joys of holiday gatherings with family and friends. It does so from the perspective of a narrator who'll miss the festivities because he's in jail which makes it even more poignant. When I listen to it again in December it'll be sure to bring a smile and a tear as it does every year.

I remember some Christmas songs being picked in the USA countdown but I don't think there were any since. Sorry if I've missed yours but it's been a lot of music.
How does the BTS song I chose...Butter rank in the canon? I am out of my depth with boy bands these days and tried listening to 5 of their songs before finding Butter less disagreeable. Not sure if its the Morten Harket effect, but had no such problem with Blackpink...could watch those young ladies sing all day. Sometimes even with the sound on.

As for the Paul Kelly song, thats a major deep cut. I am highly impressed youve even heard it, let alone added it here. Yes Paul Kelly is an icon in Australia. Not sure the Bob Dylan of down under isnt too far wrong. He has no competition. Yoghurt is the only thing with culture down under.

He got in a bit of trouble for his backing group name (Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls). He has also used Paul Kelly and the Dots and Paul Kelly and the Messengers. Probably more, but thats all i can remember. Didnt threaten the singles charts often, but a prominent player on the aussie music scene. Highly respected. I had only heard about this gravy song last christmas too

- "Foot of the Mountain" by a-ha. I really need to listen to them more. Did I mention the lead singer is dreamy? OK, did I mention really dreamy?
Yeah id do him too, but im not that fussy.
I will break the songs up into 4 groups of 5 if you want to check out further. In order of my preference

Haunting, beautiful voice and slow (like the MTV version of Take on Me)
Lifelines, Crying in the Rain (Everlys cover), Shadowside, Hunting High and Low, Stay On These Roads

Early Pop (Like the original Take on Me)
Take on Me, Sun Always Shines on TV, Living Daylights, You are the One, Train of Thought

Mature Pop
Foot of the Mountain, Nothing is Keeping You Here, Summer Moved On, Butterfly Butterfily, Celice,

Rock (for them)
Ive Been Losing You, Analog, I Call Your Name, Manhattan Skyline, Cry Wolf, Touchy

Here is a good youtube mix including the videos of 31 songs

The double CD I was talking about that has 39 tracks is called 25.

The last time we saw “The Chain” was back at #31. I can’t be stunned. Just Rumours alone has a lot of good choices, let alone the whole catalog. This is a song that grabs me quickly, and carries the emotion of the events surrounding the album. Though I could plausibly listen to it just for the instrumental part about three minutes in.

#9s
Recognized by title alone: 22
Sounded familiar: 3
Knew from this countdown: 1
Didn't know: 17

Special Shout-Out: Life on Mars? (timschochet) - Also some appreciation to DrIanMalcolm and the selection of a different take on Voodoo Chile. But there’s room for only one shout-out!

Selected Favorites:
Redemption Song (worrierking)
End Of The Line (Val Rannous)
The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys (Binky) - I had this on my long list, but lost it somewhere along the way. I feel like it should’ve been in my top 31 somewhere.
Constant Craving (simsarge)
Walking On the Moon (Zegras11) - This was a top candidate for my pick from The Police

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Powderworks (Pip’s Invitation)
Black Cars (Andy Dufresne)
California Stars (krista4)
Titanium (rockaction)
Envelope (John Madden’s Lunchbox)

Dig The Vibe: Ethiopia Hagere (Oliver Humanzee)

Btw Bunty Bailey, the girl in it. She musta been hella awful as an actress or had a terrible voice or something.
With the exposure this video gave her, her next role was a backup singer # 3 in Billy Idols To Be a Lover video
This is her filmography. As usual OMD leading the way lol
I never knew her name or connected her from the a-ha video to the OMD video. And she never did pay her tab in the diner.

The 23s

Known Favorites

Black Cars - Gino Vannelli (Andy Dufresne) - how is that I haven't heard this in 30-some years but I still remember 70 percent of the words?
Wild Side - Motley Crue (Hawks64)
Push It - Garbage (titusbramble) - agree with titus that Version 2.0 > S/T
Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N’ Roses (Raging weasel)
Redemption Song - Bob Marley (worrierking)
End Of The Line - The Traveling Wilburys (Val Rannous) - How crazy is it that the average age of the old dudes in the Wilburys is maybe a decade less than the average age of the posters in this thread?
California Stars - Billy Bragg and Wilco (krista4)
Trash - New York Dolls (otb_lifer)
Reptile - The Church (simey) - ♥️ ♥️ ♥️
Patience - Guns N' Roses (Manster)
Dig For Fire - The Pixies (westerberg)
Like A Hurricane - Neil Young (Chaos34)

New to Me Songs I Really Like

Powderworks - Midnight Oil (Pip’s Invitation)
The Ship Song - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Mister CIA) - I recognized this pretty quickly then soon realized it was from a cover that Concrete Blonde did with the singer from Dream Syndicate. Happy to hear the original but would love a verson with Johnette Napolitano singing harmony with Nick.
How To Make Gravy - Paul Kelly (Eephus)
Constant Craving - KD Lang (simsarge)

Yeah id do him too, but im not that fussy.
I will break the songs up into 4 groups of 5 if you want to check out further. In order of my preference

Haunting, beautiful voice and slow (like the MTV version of Take on Me)
Lifelines, Crying in the Rain (Everlys cover), Shadowside, Hunting High and Low, Stay On These Roads

Early Pop (Like the original Take on Me)
Take on Me, Sun Always Shines on TV, Living Daylights, You are the One, Train of Thought

Mature Pop
Foot of the Mountain, Nothing is Keeping You Here, Summer Moved On, Butterfly Butterfily, Celice,

Rock (for them)
Ive Been Losing You, Analog, I Call Your Name, Manhattan Skyline, Cry Wolf, Touchy

Here is a good youtube mix including the videos of 31 songs

The double CD I was talking about that has 39 tracks is called 25.
Thank you!!

Here's how we picked as a group:

16​
Queen
15​
The Police
13​
AC/DC
13​
Fleetwood Mac
13​
Van Halen
11​
Neil Young
10​
Metallica
10​
Rush
10​
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
7​
CSN and CSNY
7​
Guns N' Roses
7​
Talking Heads
5​
Bob Marley
5​
The Band
3​
Arcade Fire
3​
INXS
3​
Red Hot Chili Peppers
3​
Santana
3​
The Pretenders
2​
ABBA
1​
Bryan Adams
1​
Daft Punk
1​
Dire Straits
1​
Garbage
1​
Kiss
1​
Kraftwerk
1​
Leonard Cohen
1​
Pixies
1​
The Scorpions
1​
The Traveling Wilburys
1​
Wings

Geez - 17 entrants, and only 16 picks for Queen? I guess it really is true that nothing is ever unanimous.

Very good guesswork overall. Two on here that should have had a lot more love, and one that should have had a lot less.

Twenty-Four-Point Selections:

timschochet:

First Time I Died - Ghalia Volt (Belgium)
(new artist)

Just Win Baby:

Fade To Black - Metallica (American and Danish band members)
(duplicate, third vote)

Pip’s Invitation:

Mystery Achievement - The Pretenders (US/UK)
(new song)

Andy Dufresne:

Magic Power - Triumph
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills & Nash (US/UK)
(duplicate, fourth vote)

Don Quixote:

La Vie En Rose - Edith Piaf (France)
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full of Promise - The Avett Brothers (US and South Korea)
(duplicate, second vote)

scorchy:

Birthday - The Sugarcubes (Iceland)
(new song)

shuke:

Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy …...........Irish/Scottish/American mashup
(new song)

Sullie:

Roundabout - Yes and Geddy Lee (I'm gonna be honest, I put this here for spite only. . . Say his name. . . GEDDY!)
(Yes, new song; Lee, new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

Hope There's Someone - Antony And The Johnsons
(duplicate, second vote)

Mister CIA:

Forever Dolphin Love - Connann Mockasin (New Zealand)
(new artist)

Hawks64:

No Woman, No Cry (Live at The Lyceum, London 1975) - Bob Marley
(duplicate, second vote)

Mrs. Rannous:

You Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate (Jamaica)
(new song)

titusbramble:

Tage Wie Diese - Die Toten Hosen (German)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen
(new song)

Ilov80s:

I Can Change - LCD Soundsystem
(new song)

worrierking:

Jubilee Street - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Australia/Germany)
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Juke Box Hero - Foreigner (US, UK)
(duplicate, third vote)

krista4:

When Your Mind’s Made Up - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (Czech Republic/UK)
(new song for both)

Mt. Man:

November Rain - Guns N' Roses (US band, English guitarist)
(duplicate, third vote)

JMLs secret identity:

Ye Ke Ye Ke - Mory Kante (Guinea)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

Armageddon - Bathory (Sweden)
(new artist)

simey:

Daydream Believer - The Monkees (USA, England)
(duplicate, second vote)

rockaction:

Pressure Drop - Toots And The Maytals (Jamaica)
(duplicate, second vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

Life During Wartime - Talking Heads (Byrne born in Scotland)
(new song)

landrys hat:

Unknown Legend - Neil Young (Canada)
(new song)

(Spotify Link by Shakey Graves and Shovels & Rope)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Of Course I'm Lying - Yello (Switzerland)
(new song)

MAC_32:

Killing Me Softly - The Fugees (Wylcef's Haitian)
(new song)

jwb:

The Gift (Instrumental Version) - The Velvet Underground
(new song)

(Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/7bpkYq3xHaIB2CdLzP0c17)

Eephus:

Hejira (Live (Human Rights Concerts 1986)) - Joni Mitchell
(duplicate, second vote)

Hov34:

Hang On To Your Love - Sade
(new artist)

Manster:

Ride The Lightning - Metallica
(new song)

simsarge:

Children Of The Sun - Billy Thorpe (Back in the day, in a little town south of the DMZ and north of Seoul called Donduucheon (aka Tonducheon, aka TDC) ROK. This town's claim to fame (for me at least) was a strip of GI bars with pretty much one of every kind of music and distraction to occupy ones time after duty hours. The dj in one particular place spun the best rock music i'd ever heard (mind you I grew up in Podunkville listening to scratchy AM radio station 30 miles away , so "best" is kinda relative). Mixed with a couple few Peach Oscars the music was great and plenty loud. Best of all it was mostly a straight shot back to the barracks!)
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Talking To Yourself - Carly Rae Jepsen
(new artist)

Doug B:

We Will Rock You (Live) - Queen
(new song)

westerberg:

Instant Karma! (We All Shine On) - John Lennon and Yoko Ono
(duplicate, second vote)

KarmaPolice:

Angel From The Coast - Thin Lizzy
(new song)

higgins:

Silly Love Songs - Wings (UK/US mix)
(new song)

zamboni:

Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider (Canada)
(duplicate, fourth vote)

Zegras11:

Babaji - Supertramp
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Manic Depression - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
(new song)

Chaos34:

Mirror In The Bathroom - The Beat
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Drunken Lullabies - Flogging Molly
(new song)

simsarge:

Children Of The Sun - Billy Thorpe (Back in the day, in a little town south of the DMZ and north of Seoul called Donduucheon (aka Tonducheon, aka TDC) ROK. This town's claim to fame (for me at least) was a strip of GI bars with pretty much one of every kind of music and distraction to occupy ones time after duty hours. The dj in one particular place spun the best rock music i'd ever heard (mind you I grew up in Podunkville listening to scratchy AM radio station 30 miles away , so "best" is kinda relative). Mixed with a couple few Peach Oscars the music was great and plenty loud. Best of all it was mostly a straight shot back to the barracks!)
(new artist)

Love the story here.

Twenty-Four-Point Selections:

timschochet:

First Time I Died - Ghalia Volt (Belgium)
(new artist)

Just Win Baby:

Fade To Black - Metallica (American and Danish band members)
(duplicate, third vote)

Pip’s Invitation:

Mystery Achievement - The Pretenders (US/UK)
(new song)

Andy Dufresne:

Magic Power - Triumph
(new song)

DrIanMalcolm:

Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills & Nash (US/UK)
(duplicate, fourth vote)

Don Quixote:

La Vie En Rose - Edith Piaf (France)
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full of Promise - The Avett Brothers (US and South Korea)
(duplicate, second vote)

scorchy:

Birthday - The Sugarcubes (Iceland)
(new song)

shuke:

Boys Are Back In Town - Thin Lizzy …...........Irish/Scottish/American mashup
(new song)

Sullie:

Roundabout - Yes and Geddy Lee (I'm gonna be honest, I put this here for spite only. . . Say his name. . . GEDDY!)
(Yes, new song; Lee, new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

Hope There's Someone - Antony And The Johnsons
(duplicate, second vote)

Mister CIA:

Forever Dolphin Love - Connann Mockasin (New Zealand)
(new artist)

Hawks64:

No Woman, No Cry (Live at The Lyceum, London 1975) - Bob Marley
(duplicate, second vote)

Mrs. Rannous:

You Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate (Jamaica)
(new song)

titusbramble:

Tage Wie Diese - Die Toten Hosen (German)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen
(new song)

Ilov80s:

I Can Change - LCD Soundsystem
(new song)

worrierking:

Jubilee Street - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Australia/Germany)
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Juke Box Hero - Foreigner (US, UK)
(duplicate, third vote)

krista4:

When Your Mind’s Made Up - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (Czech Republic/UK)
(new song for both)

Mt. Man:

November Rain - Guns N' Roses (US band, English guitarist)
(duplicate, third vote)

JMLs secret identity:

Ye Ke Ye Ke - Mory Kante (Guinea)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

Armageddon - Bathory (Sweden)
(new artist)

simey:

Daydream Believer - The Monkees (USA, England)
(duplicate, second vote)

rockaction:

Pressure Drop - Toots And The Maytals (Jamaica)
(duplicate, second vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

Life During Wartime - Talking Heads (Byrne born in Scotland)
(new song)

landrys hat:

(new song)

(Spotify Link by Shakey Graves and Shovels & Rope)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Of Course I'm Lying - Yello (Switzerland)
(new song)

MAC_32:

Killing Me Softly - The Fugees (Wylcef's Haitian)
(new song)

jwb:

The Gift (Instrumental Version) - The Velvet Underground
(new song)

(Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/track/7bpkYq3xHaIB2CdLzP0c17)

Eephus:

Hejira (Live (Human Rights Concerts 1986)) - Joni Mitchell
(duplicate, second vote)

Hov34:

Hang On To Your Love - Sade
(new artist)

Manster:

Ride The Lightning - Metallica
(new song)

simsarge:

(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Talking To Yourself - Carly Rae Jepsen
(new artist)

Doug B:

We Will Rock You (Live) - Queen
(new song)

westerberg:

Instant Karma! (We All Shine On) - John Lennon and Yoko Ono
(duplicate, second vote)

KarmaPolice:

Angel From The Coast - Thin Lizzy
(new song)

higgins:

Silly Love Songs - Wings (UK/US mix)
(new song)

zamboni:

Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider (Canada)
(duplicate, fourth vote)

Zegras11:

Babaji - Supertramp
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Manic Depression - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
(new song)

Chaos34:

Mirror In The Bathroom - The Beat
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Drunken Lullabies - Flogging Molly
(new song)
24 Pointers playlist

landrys hat:

(new song)

What I said in my Neil countdown:

54. Unknown Legend (Harvest Moon, 1992)
Here, Neil combines his considerable storytelling abilities, referencing how he met his wife Pegi, with his love of motorcycles to craft a memorable narrative and breezy melody. It was a fitting way to kick off his much-anticipated-at-the-time return to the acoustic singer-songwriter thing.

Users who are viewing this thread