What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

As there was a lot of interest in the trivia site that I’m a member of, they had a ”special” yesterday of a set of trivia questions about bands who had songs with eponymous song titles. Thought it was a fun set of questions and I’d share here. Will post answers either later tonight or tomorrow. And number one rule of this site is *no cheating* via looking up on internet or otherwise…

1. This English band was a pioneer in heavy metal, releasing their debut album in 1969, with both the album and the opening track having the same name as the band. Despite their hard partying, the original members of the band are all still alive by some miracle or witchcraft.

2. This band emerged from the 90s California punk scene and later had a concept album adapted into a rock musical. On their debut album, they had an eponymous song.

3. This synth pop English band had a hit in 1982 with a song that was also the band's name. No doubt you may have heard No Doubt did a cover of their biggest hit, "It's My Life".

4. This duo was originally named El Grupo De Rock and Roll. Why'd they change it? I can't say, maybe they just liked it better this way. Give the current band name

5. This funk/soul band's first album had their eponymous song, but it faced a cold reception as neither the song nor the album charted. Later, they did celebrate some big hits in the 70s and 80s.

6. This UK supergroup formed in 1973 and had a huge hit with their eponymous single, as well as "Feel Like Makin' Love" and "Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy".

7. This heavy metal English band named themselves after a mythical Medieval torture device. They named a real song after themselves.

8. This alternative band formed after the breakup of Uncle Tupelo. While initially playing more country style on their debut album A.M. they later achieved mainstream success and released a song with their name.

9. This hard rock band had their biggest hit with a power ballad in 1984 , written by the drummer about his younger sister. The song has been used in several films, including during the drug deal scene in Boogie Nights.

10. This disco group was named after a geographical area and had songs named after places like Fire Island, San Francisco, and of course, themselves.

11. This band, led by bassist and singer Lemmy, makes this list.

12. This punk rock band formed in Los Angeles in 1980, with singer Greg Graffin being the band's only constant member. He never lost faith and they had success with the songs "Sorrow", "Los Angeles is Burning" and "The Devil in Stitches", while their self named song did not chart.
I think mine goes to 11.

1. Black Sabbath
2. Green Day
3. Talk Talk
4. ??????????
5. Kool and the Gang
6. Bad Company
7. Iron Maiden
8. Wilco
9. Night Ranger
10. The Village People
11. Motorhead
12. Bad Religion

As there was a lot of interest in the trivia site that I’m a member of, they had a ”special” yesterday of a set of trivia questions about bands who had songs with eponymous song titles. Thought it was a fun set of questions and I’d share here. Will post answers either later tonight or tomorrow. And number one rule of this site is *no cheating* via looking up on internet or otherwise…

1. This English band was a pioneer in heavy metal, releasing their debut album in 1969, with both the album and the opening track having the same name as the band. Despite their hard partying, the original members of the band are all still alive by some miracle or witchcraft.

2. This band emerged from the 90s California punk scene and later had a concept album adapted into a rock musical. On their debut album, they had an eponymous song.

3. This synth pop English band had a hit in 1982 with a song that was also the band's name. No doubt you may have heard No Doubt did a cover of their biggest hit, "It's My Life".

4. This duo was originally named El Grupo De Rock and Roll. Why'd they change it? I can't say, maybe they just liked it better this way. Give the current band name

5. This funk/soul band's first album had their eponymous song, but it faced a cold reception as neither the song nor the album charted. Later, they did celebrate some big hits in the 70s and 80s.

6. This UK supergroup formed in 1973 and had a huge hit with their eponymous single, as well as "Feel Like Makin' Love" and "Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy".

7. This heavy metal English band named themselves after a mythical Medieval torture device. They named a real song after themselves.

8. This alternative band formed after the breakup of Uncle Tupelo. While initially playing more country style on their debut album A.M. they later achieved mainstream success and released a song with their name.

9. This hard rock band had their biggest hit with a power ballad in 1984 , written by the drummer about his younger sister. The song has been used in several films, including during the drug deal scene in Boogie Nights.

10. This disco group was named after a geographical area and had songs named after places like Fire Island, San Francisco, and of course, themselves.

12. This punk rock band formed in Los Angeles in 1980, with singer Greg Graffin being the band's only constant member. He never lost faith and they had success with the songs "Sorrow", "Los Angeles is Burning" and "The Devil in Stitches", while their self named song did not chart.
I think mine goes to 11.

1. Black Sabbath
2. Green Day
3. Talk Talk
4. ??????????
5. Kool and the Gang
6. Bad Company
7. Iron Maiden
8. Wilco
9. Night Ranger
10. The Village People
11. Motorhead
12. Bad Religion
Yep, 11/12 for you. Between you and rock, got all 12 out there, but I’ll put all of the answers below.

BLACK SABBATH

GREEN DAY

TALK TALK

THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS

KOOL AND THE GANG

BAD COMPANY

IRON MAIDEN

WILCO

NIGHT RANGER

VILLAGE PEOPLE

MOTORHEAD

BAD RELIGION

Late to the party on the trivia talk.

Pre-pandemic, we had a FBG trivia team that played most Tuesday nights at a local brewpub - me, Zilla/plinko, scoobygang/RHE, and fatguy. Sometimes Z machine graced us with his presence. We were a force. Until the playoffs...

The host ran trivia nights at 5 local bars and then twice a year the top few teams at each would face off for a prize of like $2K-$3k. A team with folks that had been on Jeopardy and Millionaire (including a $500K winner) would generally wipe the floor with us and everyone else. Generally, we were just playing trivia to drink and have fun - hell, half the time fatguy would get zilla way too smoked up in the parking lot before hand and both would be useless (except on music stuff - zilla ruled no matter his state of mind). Meanwhile, the truly competitive teams kept binders of all the questions ever asked, identified patterns, scouted opponents, etc. An odd bunch, but regardless, the best we ever finished was second overall for a cool $750.

The better story is the season that fatguy was on the dating apps and broke off from our team to bring a new date to trivia each week and compete against us. Lots of whispers from the other Tuesday-night teams trying to figure out the deal - we would stare daggers at fatguy to try to make it look like there was major bad blood. At the end of that season, Seth brought a bunch of the girls from each week together into a "super team" for the playoffs. He's just that lovable, I guess.

Aloha! Haven't been around as I was traveling, but now I'm up early in Hawaii wondering why it's raining.

I did the quiz above and missed #5 and #12. Never would have gotten the latter.
Band 12 is the kind of thing that’s up OH’s alley. Dunno if he actually likes them, of course.

Last night - or afternoon, it's hard to keep track - we were having drinks in one of the bars at this resort, and music started playing that was so fantastic I Shazamed it. Why, it was Seu Jorge, selected by @timschochet in this very draft!

ETA: Now I remember it was morning, because there were bottomless mimosas.
Are you saying bottomless mimosas are inappropriate other times of the day? Because in that case I may be doing it wrong.

Last night - or afternoon, it's hard to keep track - we were having drinks in one of the bars at this resort, and music started playing that was so fantastic I Shazamed it. Why, it was Seu Jorge, selected by @timschochet in this very draft!

ETA: Now I remember it was morning, because there were bottomless mimosas.
Are you saying bottomless mimosas are inappropriate other times of the day? Because in that case I may be doing it wrong.

Fair point!

RIP to Gordon Lightfoot.

I was typing something about OH and Bad Religion, but decided I'd just leave it at how I feel about Bad Religion.

I don't necessarily care for Bad Religion. They seem way too processed, somehow. Like, they're somehow too clean and pop for L.A. hardcore. I took me a long time to get into Garafin's weird vocal stylings on Suffer, which is the only album by them I can really stand, their earlier stuff notwithstanding.

But I know that eponymous song from having Bad Religion 80-85 in my college apt., which was courtesy of my roommate who was into buying all the punk rock he could pick up after his listening with me and excursions to record stores with me proved fruitful. He branched out a bit, and we wound up with the album.

RIP to Gordon Lightfoot.

I was typing something about OH and Bad Religion, but decided I'd just leave it at how I feel about Bad Religion.

I don't necessarily care for Bad Religion. They seem way too processed, somehow. Like, they're somehow too clean and pop for L.A. hardcore. I took me a long time to get into Garafin's weird vocal stylings on Suffer, which is the only album by them I can really stand, their earlier stuff notwithstanding.

But I know that eponymous song from having Bad Religion 80-85 in my college apt., which was courtesy of my roommate who was into buying all the punk rock he could pick up after his listening with me and excursions to record stores with me proved fruitful. He branched out a bit, and we wound up with the album.

I still haven't asked him if he likes Bad Religion. We're on the world's most pleasant vacation, and I fear if he doesn't that the vibe will be affected. :lol:

I listened to Lightfoot's debut album Lightfoot! tonight. It was recorded in late 1964 when the artist was 26 but not released until 1966, presumably because the label couldn't decide on the exclamation mark.

It's a traditional Folk setup with a second guitar and string bass (by Spike Lee's dad Bill). Lightfoot is in fine voice as always--if it's possible to be purer and clearer than his 70s classics, it is here. The picking is exceptional and Gord's a mighty fine whistler as well. All but three of the fourteen tracks are Lightfoot originals including the original recording of "Early Morning Rain". But the one that made the biggest impression was his version of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face". It was originally a Folk song but I'm so familiar with Roberta Flack's classic that Lightfoot's version blew me away.

Pip’s Invitation:

Wishing Well - Free (UK/US/Japan)
(new artist)

Paul Rodgers is one of my favorite singers and some of his best performances are on Free's final album, Heartbreaker. By this point, founding bassist (and Rodgers' main songwriting partner for most of the band's lifespan) Andy Fraser was gone, his place taken by Japanese bassist Testu Yamauchi and American keyboardist John "Rabbit" Bundrick. And guitarist Paul Kossoff's presence was sporadic due to drug problems that would kill him a few years later. Rodgers responded to the chaos with some of his grittiest, most heartwrenching and best songs. My favorite from the record varies depending on what day it is, but for this list I chose its most accessible song, the melodic hard rocker Wishing Well.
Udiscovermusic.com posted a piece on this album today: https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/free-heartbreaker-album/

Users who are viewing this thread