What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which RB Has The Best Seven Year Stretch In NFL History (1 Viewer)

zoonation

Footballguy
In another thread a person did a comparison of The Bus and T.Thomas's best 7 year stretch to illustrate why one deserved the HOF over the other, I also heard this stat mentioned around the last week or so, so I checked it out. In my opinion 7 years is a big chunk of time, esp. for running backs who's average life spans are half that. This person also has the best seven year span when it comes to gaining yards in NFL history. Here are 7 players 5 of which are pretty much HOF locks or near locks

Faulk

Priest Holmes

T.Thomas

Bettis

Tiki Barber

Barry Sanders

Emmitt Smith

Which one of the above players has the most yards from scrimmage in there best seven year span and the best seven year span in NFL history? Without looking can you guess?

I'd have to imagine Thermal compiled a ton of yards in the K-gun offense. And I don't seem to remember him ever being seriously hurt until the end of his career which makes me think he'd be good for a solid seven-year stretch. So he would be my guess.

Upon further review, I believe there are two answers to this question. If it is regular season only, then it's PLAYER A, but if it's regular season and post-season combined, then it's PLAYER B.

And LT will be breaking the regular season 7-year total yards record next year by a large margin if he stays healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
In another thread a person did a comparison of The Bus and T.Thomas's best 7 year stretch to illustrate why one deserved the HOF over the other, I also heard this stat mentioned around the last week or so, so I checked it out. In my opinion 7 years is a big chunk of time, esp. for running backs who's average life spans are half that. This person also has the best seven year span when it comes to gaining yards in NFL history. Here are 7 players 5 of which are pretty much HOF locks or near locksFaulkPriest HolmesT.ThomasBettisTiki BarberBarry SandersEmmitt SmithWhich one of the above players has the most yards from scrimmage in there best seven year span and the best seven year span in NFL history? Without looking can you guess?
Match the player with the number:1344095381311510332128741250312262FWIW, the guy I would have guessed ranked 3rd. I'm not sure if the 13440 is the most of any player over 7 years, but it's the most of any player over 7 years from the above list.

Upon further review,

That 13440 is the top mark of all-time. The next three marks are from another player on the above list, in three consecutive years. The next five marks are from two other players as well. The top stretch from a player not on that list is Walter Payton, beginning in 1979 (12372). The next player not on the above list is Jim Brown (12149).

Yards from scrimmage includes receiving yards, so I would not be surprised if it were Tiki. Faulk would be the other logical guy on that list but him being the correct answer wouldn't surprise anyone.

Thomas had a 7-year stretch of 14175 yards counting regular and post season numbers.

Tiki (who was the regular season answer) had almost as much with 14051.

Upon further review,

That 13440 is the top mark of all-time. The next three marks are from another player on the above list, in three consecutive years. The next five marks are from two other players as well. The top stretch from a player not on that list is Walter Payton, beginning in 1979 (12372). The next player not on the above list is Jim Brown (12149).
And he played in 12 and 14 game seasons instead of 16 like the rest have.

In another thread a person did a comparison of The Bus and T.Thomas's best 7 year stretch to illustrate why one deserved the HOF over the other, I also heard this stat mentioned around the last week or so, so I checked it out. In my opinion 7 years is a big chunk of time, esp. for running backs who's average life spans are half that. This person also has the best seven year span when it comes to gaining yards in NFL history. Here are 7 players 5 of which are pretty much HOF locks or near locksFaulkPriest HolmesT.ThomasBettisTiki BarberBarry SandersEmmitt SmithWhich one of the above players has the most yards from scrimmage in there best seven year span and the best seven year span in NFL history? Without looking can you guess?
It's just a ploy to motivate Tatum.

Upon further review,

Not to single you out, but I am continually amazed at how much people forget about Eric Dickerson. I think the main problem is that everyone here uses the pro-football-reference database. Because Dickerson was traded partway through the 1987 season the pro-football-reference database appears to show that as two mediocre seasons instead of as one season where he was second in the league in rushing yards. Eric Dickerson had 12,859 yards from scrimmage in his first seven seasons in the league.

What about TD's over a 7 year span?

Also, why the 7 yr cutoff? So you can cherry pick and leave out Tiki's first 3 seasons when he was platooning with the likes of Gary Brown?

Upon further review, I believe there are two answers to this question. If it is regular season only, then it's PLAYER A, but if it's regular season and post-season combined, then it's PLAYER B.And LT will be breaking the regular season 7-year total yards record next year by a large margin if he stays healthy.
LT needs "only" 1364 yards from scrimmage next year to be the top hoss in this discussion. If he plays 16 games, he'll get it. Heck, if he plays 10 games he'll get it.

I really wish this thread was titled properly..."Best Seven Year Stretch in NFL History" does NOT equal "Most Yards from Scrimmage in 7 Years"...

Match the player with the number:

FWIW, the guy I would have guessed ranked 3rd. I'm not sure if the 13440 is the most of any player over 7 years, but it's the most of any player over 7 years from the above list.
These kinds of posts, along with your "guess player X which has stat Y" may work better if you used the .... :blackdot: Otherwise we get threads with 100 guesses and minimal discussion. :thumbup:

Also, why the 7 yr cutoff? So you can cherry pick and leave out Tiki's first 3 seasons when he was platooning with the likes of Gary Brown?
:thumbup: Tiki shouldn't even be mentioned with some of these other guys who maintained greatness for a dozen years or so.

Is everyone of the opinion that yards are yards? That is, receiving yards from a running back are just as valuable as his rushing yards.

Is everyone of the opinion that yards are yards? That is, receiving yards from a running back are just as valuable as his rushing yards.
I personally am of the opinion that a yard is a yard. If a team needs 5 yards for a first down and one RB gets it running while the other gets it receiving, does that make any difference? In fact, I would be inclined to think that RBs that rush and catch the ball well are more valuable as they are a threat either way and defenses would have to scheme accordingly.

I'll never understand the Tikihaters.Here's a list of all the guys who had more yards from scrimmage in the first ten years of their career than Barber accumulated in his 10-year career:1 Barry Sanders 2 Marshall Faulk 3 Walter Payton 4 Emmitt Smith 5 Curtis Martin Hard to see how being #6 on a list behind those guys is a problem.And unless you're going to argue that only guys who play for 15 years should get into the Hall, Barber deserves to go.

1 Barry Sanders 2 Marshall Faulk 3 Walter Payton 4 Emmitt Smith 5 Curtis Martin
All of those guys scored over 100 TDs in their career.Tiki...67Sanders 1 MVPFaulk 2 MVPsPayton 1 MVPEmmit 1 MVPMartin 0 MVPs (he gets in for sustained excellence over a long period of time)Thurman Thomas has more total yards, more TDs, won an MVP, went to 4 Superbowls and even he didn't get in yet and I think he was eligible this year. Tiki had a nice career and he may get in, but it won't be a lock and there are other backs out there that I'd pick before him (and who he may have to compete against):Marshall Faulk Thurman ThomasCurtis MartinAnd if he doesn't get in in the next 7 or 8 years he'll have the younger guys to contend (and be compared to):Ladainian TomlinsonClinton PortisShaun AlexanderOnly 24 RBs in the modern era have been selected to the HOF. I'd say that unless they start selecting more RBs Tiki won't get there. Of the 6 RBs I listed above that aren't in the HOF I'd put Tiki 5th on that list. Doesn't look good.

I'll never understand the Tikihaters.Here's a list of all the guys who had more yards from scrimmage in the first ten years of their career than Barber accumulated in his 10-year career:1 Barry Sanders 2 Marshall Faulk 3 Walter Payton 4 Emmitt Smith 5 Curtis Martin Hard to see how being #6 on a list behind those guys is a problem.And unless you're going to argue that only guys who play for 15 years should get into the Hall, Barber deserves to go.
Yards are great, but again I ask why yards from scrimmage is now the magical benchmark for greatness? Touchdowns are of paramount importance, and certainly can't be removed from the equation. And if we're really going to evaluate greatness, let's also factor in turnovers. How does Tiki shape up against the all timers under those circumstances?

All of those guys scored over 100 TDs in their career.Tiki...67Sanders 1 MVPFaulk 2 MVPsPayton 1 MVPEmmit 1 MVPMartin 0 MVPs (he gets in for sustained excellence over a long period of time)Thurman Thomas has more total yards, more TDs, won an MVP, went to 4 Superbowls and even he didn't get in yet and I think he was eligible this year. Tiki had a nice career and he may get in, but it won't be a lock and there are other backs out there that I'd pick before him (and who he may have to compete against):Marshall Faulk Thurman ThomasCurtis MartinAnd if he doesn't get in in the next 7 or 8 years he'll have the younger guys to contend (and be compared to):Ladainian TomlinsonClinton PortisShaun AlexanderOnly 24 RBs in the modern era have been selected to the HOF. I'd say that unless they start selecting more RBs Tiki won't get there. Of the 6 RBs I listed above that aren't in the HOF I'd put Tiki 5th on that list. Doesn't look good.
I also believe that Ricky Watters deserves to go in before Tiki.

Upon further review,That 13440 is the top mark of all-time. The next three marks are from another player on the above list, in three consecutive years. The next five marks are from two other players as well. The top stretch from a player not on that list is Walter Payton, beginning in 1979 (12372). The next player not on the above list is Jim Brown (12149).
So the answer is "Jim Brown", what a shocker. Not on the list of 7 backs, and he's still the answer. My first guess was that this list was screwed up and it was him, so that works. Prorating his best 7-year stretch for equal season length Brown has over 14,500.And this doesn't even address the bias towards offense in the current era, it merely controls for season length.

How SHOULD we deal with the fact that there are more games per season, more teams, mroe stats to comile, and more emphasis on offense?

If one isn't careful, the Hall will the "Hall of Recently Retired Players Who Played a Long Time and Were Good"

Upon further review,That 13440 is the top mark of all-time. The next three marks are from another player on the above list, in three consecutive years. The next five marks are from two other players as well. The top stretch from a player not on that list is Walter Payton, beginning in 1979 (12372). The next player not on the above list is Jim Brown (12149).
So the answer is "Jim Brown", what a shocker. Not on the list of 7 backs, and he's still the answer. My first guess was that this list was screwed up and it was him, so that works. Prorating his best 7-year stretch for equal season length Brown has over 14,500.And this doesn't even address the bias towards offense in the current era, it merely controls for season length.
No, the answer is not Jim Brown, as he did not produce the highest total. If the question was who averaged the most prorated yards over a 7 year stretch, then it would be Brown.And if the question was who averaged the highest yards per game over a 7 season stretch, it wouldn't be Brown, it would be Edgerrin James in his 7 seasons in Indy (slightly more than Brown).

I personally am of the opinion that a yard is a yard. If a team needs 5 yards for a first down and one RB gets it running while the other gets it receiving, does that make any difference? In fact, I would be inclined to think that RBs that rush and catch the ball well are more valuable as they are a threat either way and defenses would have to scheme accordingly.
What about return yards? How important are they?

What about return yards? How important are they?
While I understand your point, IMO it's a little different when a player starts 70 yards away on a kick and the other team has to chase him. That's why they have total combined yards separate from total yards from scrimmage. And what about passing yards? Shouldn't any QB be considered more valuable because an average QB throws for 3000 yards and the record for yards from scrimmage is "only" 2300-2400 yards?

No, the answer is not Jim Brown, as he did not produce the highest total. If the question was who averaged the most prorated yards over a 7 year stretch, then it would be Brown.And if the question was who averaged the highest yards per game over a 7 season stretch, it wouldn't be Brown, it would be Edgerrin James in his 7 seasons in Indy (slightly more than Brown).
seven years = 112 games for the 16game/yr backs....i am sure that rather then prorating brown someone can compile his best consecutive 112 game stretch?

seven years = 112 games for the 16game/yr backs....i am sure that rather then prorating brown someone can compile his best consecutive 112 game stretch?
Jim Brown only played 118 games. Just take his entire career and halve his first year you get something like:11841 rush yards, 101 TDs2471 rec yards, 19 TDs

I thought these numbers would have been calculated using some sort of fantasy football scoring method? I think would maybe give another angle.

But once again, the question is "Best 7 year stretch". And It depends on how you prorate. If you simply want yards/year, adjusting for season length, that's one thing. If you adjust for injury and the like, that's another. I didn't include TD's or any attempt to prorate for offensive output increases over the eras, either.

I thought these numbers would have been calculated using some sort of fantasy football scoring method? I think would maybe give another angle.
That's going to be not very interesting, I'd bet. You'll start looking for sustained dominance versus peers, and I think that's goign to be Brown again.

But once again, the question is "Best 7 year stretch". And It depends on how you prorate. If you simply want yards/year, adjusting for season length, that's one thing. If you adjust for injury and the like, that's another. I didn't include TD's or any attempt to prorate for offensive output increases over the eras, either.
This is exactly why I have come up with another tool to evaluate player performance, which basically I call the BEST 5 SEASONS approach. I will have a lot more on this in a few months when the new season starts with articles debating HOF candidates, but basically it's taking a player's best 5 years in key categories and adding up the best 5 seasons in that category (the years do not have to be consecutive, nor do the same years have to be used in each category). There will be a total score (say 100 TD in 5 seasons) and a per game score (say 122 ypg game). That's just one piece of the evaluation process, but one that hasn't been used befiore as far as I can tell.The problem I see in the discussion in this thread is that very few RB have played 7 years essentially injury free and Tiki had that benefit that very few others have. So yes, Tiki will look better looking at a 7 year stretch that very few other backs have been able to stay healthy enough to compete in. And as I already mentioned, Tiki will hold this obscure record until next year when Tomlinson beats it, possibly by 1,000 yards.

I agree that peak years do not need to be consecutive, and to say someone is better than another guy because their peak was consecutive is flawed.

I was waiting for this to suddenly veer into end up in all-purpose yards, and then all heck breaks loose.

I look forward to your methodology.

Seems like there's some ancillary benefits to gaining yards by rushing over passing. Reduced frequency of turnovers, increased time of possession, and the wearing out of defenses. Eddie George's ability to absorb punishment and pound the ball repeatedly made him very valuable to his team though he lacked Tiki Barber's gamebreaking skills. Also, I think it's much easier for a team to find a player who can fill the pass-catching back role than it is to find a a guy who can consistently move the chains on the ground. Not that Tiki didn't put up a huge amount of rushing yards his last 5 seasons.

i just wish Tiki would play two more years and end all of this debate. He would be a lock for sure if he put up 70% of what he has been averaging.

MarshallRob said:
Seems like there's some ancillary benefits to gaining yards by rushing over passing. Reduced frequency of turnovers, increased time of possession, and the wearing out of defenses. Eddie George's ability to absorb punishment and pound the ball repeatedly made him very valuable to his team though he lacked Tiki Barber's gamebreaking skills. Also, I think it's much easier for a team to find a player who can fill the pass-catching back role than it is to find a a guy who can consistently move the chains on the ground. Not that Tiki didn't put up a huge amount of rushing yards his last 5 seasons.
Agree. I think that for these types of stats to have any sort of real meaning you also have to do what Baseball does to some degree when they factor in the stadium, the era of the player (not E.R.A.), the contribution of the hitter to the team's wins, etc. So, I'd like to see these types of things factored in for a RBs career if you're really going to do a fair comparison and not just some descriptive stats. If nothing else, it may prove that these things have a minimal/null effect: Turf/grass, dome/outdoors, cold/warm weather team, offensive philosophy, % of RBs contribution to team offense, splits (3rd <1, 3rd 6+, etc.), quality of o-line, etc. Everyone can hoot and holler about the millions of yards racked up by Faulk or James in a dome, but how much of that was because of the dome? If you stuck them on grass their whole careers, what's the impact? Anyways, sounds like a career-spanning work.

Everyone can hoot and holler about the millions of yards racked up by Faulk or James in a dome, but how much of that was because of the dome? If you stuck them on grass their whole careers, what's the impact? Anyways, sounds like a career-spanning work.
Technology is a wonderful thing sometimes. Here are the splits for these two . . .FAULKOutdoors (70 games)Rushing 1109 rushes, 4573 yards, 65.3, ypg, 4.1, ypc, 30 TDReceiving 302 receptions, 2534 yards, 36.2 ypg, 8.4 ypr, 7.6 yac, 10 TDIndoors (106 games)Rushing 1727 rushes, 7706 yards, 72.7 ypg, 4.5 ypc, 70 TDReceiving 465 receptions, 4341 yards, 41.0 ypg, 9.3 ypr, 8.5 yac, 26 TDGrass (44 games)Rushing 719 rushes, 3217 yards, 73.1 ypg, 4.5 ypc, 21 TDReceiving 198 receptions, 1748 yards, 39.7 ypg, 8.8 ypr, 7.8 yac, 7 TD Turf (132 games)Rushing 2117 rushes, 9062 yards, 68.7 ypg, 4.3 ypc, 79 TDReceiving 569 receptions, 5127 yards, 38.8 ypg, 8.3 yac, 29 TDJAMESOutdoors (50 games)Rushing 1089 rushes, 4423 yards, 88.5 ypg, 4.1 ypc, 31 TDReceiving 191 receptions, 1397 yards, 27.9 ypg, 7.3 ypr, 7.1 yac, 5 TDIndoors (62 games)Rushing 1436 rushes, 5962 yards, 96.2 ypg, 4.2 ypc, 39 TDReceiving 203 receptions, 1659 yards, 26.8 ypg, 8.2 ypr, 7.5 yac, 6 TDGrass (49 games)Rushing 1079 rushes, 4278 yards, 87.3 ypg, 4.0 ypc, 29 TDRecicing 171 receptions, 1197 yards, 24.4 ypg, 7.0 ypr, 6.9 yac, 4 TDTurf (63 games)Rushing 1446 rushes, 6107 yards, 96.9 ypg, 4.2 ypc, 41 TDReceiving 223 receptions, 1859 yards, 29.5 ypg, 8.3 ypr, 7.6 yac, 7 TDTo answer your question, no, we will never know what either of these two would have done if they played in outdoors on grass their entire careers. Maybe they would have fared as well . . . or they could have gotten hurt. But we can't guess what a player WOULD HAVE done, we can only assess what HE HAS DONE.

Snotbubbles said:
Tiki was absolutely HOSED on the MVP last year when it went to Alexander IMO. He had a better year on a worse team behind a worse line. Put up more combined yards that season than anyone in history except one year from Faulk. Guy was amazing in 2005, despite his 4th place MVP showing.

Users who are viewing this thread