What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the fastest player to ever play in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

I don't know who was the all-time fastest, but Darrell Green was beating the supposed "NFL's Fastest" in footraces at 40 years old. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was running sub 4.3s when he retired. Dude was just an athletic freak.

The fastest guy I've ever seen in relation to those he was playing against was Rocket Ismail in college.

In the NFL, my guess would be Bob Hayes. The sitting world record holder in the 100 who turned out to be a pretty damned good player (unlike gimmicks like Ron Brown, etc..who couldn't play).

lashawn johnson from niu and for the pack in the early 90s was very very very fast i remember him then he went to az and got cancer and i think that was just about all she wrote for his career take tat to the bank brohans

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're talking just game speed, Tavon Austin might be in this conversation after this season.

On name that never gets mentioned in these posts is Curtis Dickey, who should at least be in the conversation. His speed did not seem to translate on the field but he was a 3 time NCAA champ at 60 yards yards, ran a 6.15 and ran a 10.11 100 meters, which at the time in 1978 was the 6th fastest in the world that year. He was a football player that ran track and people have wondered what he could have ran if he dedicated himself to track.

What distance are you talking about? Top speed? 40 time? 100 meters?

I would say Chris Johnson probably looks the fastest of anyone I've seen recently.

Jeff Demps basically has Olympic level speed though. His PR in the 100m is 9.96s. I don't know of another NFL player who has run sub 10 flat.

There are probably some guys who could've hit that mark if they dedicated themselves solely to sprinting, but alas...
Jeff Demps highlight videos (U of F) YouTube are almost unbelievable how he accelerates away from defenders.

lashawn johnson from niu and for the pack in the early 90s was very very very fast i remember him then he went to az and got cancer and i think that was just about all she wrote for his career take tat to the bank brohans
LeShon JohnsonHe ran for 200+ yards in a game for the Cardinals.

Yes, he did have cancer at one time. Also got in trouble for dog fighting.

Peyton Manning
I would not call Manning a fast runner but he certainly was the greatest Baltimore Colts player of all time.
LOL, actually, a lot of Baltimoreans look at Manning as a throwback QB in the modern age and compare him to JohnnyU in the way he plays. Many people from Baltimore like Peyton Manning even if they hate the Colts.

What distance are you talking about? Top speed? 40 time? 100 meters?

I would say Chris Johnson probably looks the fastest of anyone I've seen recently.

Jeff Demps basically has Olympic level speed though. His PR in the 100m is 9.96s. I don't know of another NFL player who has run sub 10 flat.

There are probably some guys who could've hit that mark if they dedicated themselves solely to sprinting, but alas...
Jeff Demps highlight videos (U of F) YouTube are almost unbelievable how he accelerates away from defenders.
I guess Jeff Demps is technically an NFL player since he signed a contract but so far he hasn't played in a regular season game.

Looking more...Albert Haynesworth getting up and catching Reggie Wayne or Greg Jennings from behind seemed super-human, impossible, etc.

Lawrence Taylor could run from the DE spot and catch Eric Dickerson, Payton, young Randall (pick your player from that time) from behind.

I appreciate these last two most of all.
Which is why the 40 should be (for offensive skill guys) run with a ball in their hands in zigzags dodging targets.
Some sort of obstacle course for sure. This would be a more accurate(but still not) representation of speed in the game. I think people want straight away speed tested though.

I remember going to some NYG camps where despite all the catches or moves that were made, the fans got most excited when one of their top DL had to run down a RB. Can Strahan catch Tiki? Is Osi fast enough to run down Jacobs? Then some WR would be like long gone and the coaches wanted him to touch the endzone and come back, when a DB took off chasing him because he was dogging it, the fans loved that too. Somehow, I'd like to see some test for defenders where they have to catch people. Start the RBs running five feet ahead and see if these guys can't catchup and pull a flag off their belt or somesuch.

Personally I like tires. The last so many years, I've come to appreciate this old-fashioned workout. When I was young we just ran thru the tires with every step going into the next tire, til the whole line of tires was done. I've been floored watching guys turn 360 degrees and catch balls while doing this. Now I remember tripping a million times just running straight ahead myself so maybe my own failures when I was younger make this seem even more special, but my initial reaction when I first saw a player stay full speed and turn 360 degrees was how the heck did he just do that. IMO, it takes some awesome awareness and athleticism to run (30? 15 by 2) tires in 8(?) seconds and along the way be able to spin and catch a ball, never stepping on a tire nor ever stepping in the same tire twice.

Like others here, I want pads in these races. I find myself wanting it to be harder or indicate more or something. The tires....good luck doing it without pads. I want to see some "pretty feet."

Here's another odd one-at the end of drills some unlucky WR or RB gets stuck fielding the balls and putting them in that big square bucket/box/net(whatever you call it) so naturally there's like a dozen balls coming at him at once. They're lobbed nicely, softly, but still there's a bunch coming right at him. I've been impressed to see some players catch several. Very simple, nothing to it, happens all the time, but when I see a WR catch a ball in each hand, ditch em, grab more it's impressive.

The combine...we have two three or four years of tape on most of these guys. They're getting more from the tapes than anything else. Sure I want to see route running and pretty throws and all but still the bulk of info teams go on is in the tapes. I'd rather something unconventional at the combine to test hands or feet or whatnot. I don't care if the players take turns seeing whose strong enough to push a truck. Teams have piles of tapes, I'd rather see something new and unconventional.

LeShon Johnson- Johnson pled guilty in 2005 to the crime of dog fighting in Okmulgee County, Oklahoma. He received a five-year deferred sentence.
He was on the Giants not AZ when he had cancer. Lymp node or somesuch. Karl Nelson was a Giant OT that had his career ended short by Hodgkins disease. He retired young and the Giants tried to keep an eye on him. He didn't play with Leshon I don't think, but he was probably at the facility when Leshon was. Anyhow, Leshon would praise Karl in every article and interview imaginable. Nelson knew doctors and personal advice offered and....he was very special in Leshon's life.

IIRC Leshon played in the XFL, wasn't good, and then filed for bankruptcy and lost his home, then this dogfighting mentioned above. He seemed like a sadly classic former player that didn't know what to do without football. That was years ago and I haven't heard of him since so I figure he's keeping his nose clean and doing well.

HBO Sports' NFL show (I think it was them) years ago had a five minute segment on Karl and Leshon. It was very touching. That might be on youtube.

Looking more...Albert Haynesworth getting up and catching Reggie Wayne or Greg Jennings from behind seemed super-human, impossible, etc.

Lawrence Taylor could run from the DE spot and catch Eric Dickerson, Payton, young Randall (pick your player from that time) from behind.

I appreciate these last two most of all.
Which is why the 40 should be (for offensive skill guys) run with a ball in their hands in zigzags dodging targets.
Some sort of obstacle course for sure. This would be a more accurate(but still not) representation of speed in the game. I think people want straight away speed tested though.

I remember going to some NYG camps where despite all the catches or moves that were made, the fans got most excited when one of their top DL had to run down a RB. Can Strahan catch Tiki?
This happens because the RB is carrying a ball and has to worry about more than just running with his head down in a straight line.

WHat people want, and what is more relevant, aren't always the same obviously.

My vote would be for Bo or Deion, simply using game speed.

There were times when he was a Falcon that Mike Vick was a step or two faster than any other NFL player on the field.

Sprint speed does not equal game speed.

Dark horse entry: Terrell Buckley. Fastest Packer player I ever personally saw play. His first punt return for a TD he just toyed with the defense.

On the field with the ball in his hands or just making plays it was Deion Sanders for me, he seemed to make up ground on everyone anytime he wanted. In the NFL right now it would be Chris Johnson for me, I have watched defenders take the correct angle to get to him and he still blows by people.

Dark horse entry: Terrell Buckley. Fastest Packer player I ever personally saw play. His first punt return for a TD he just toyed with the defense.
the other neato thing about him was that he sucked at football and was a horrible pick by the pack i wish they had never taken him take that to the bank brohans

the other neato thing about him was that he sucked at football and was a horrible pick by the pack i wish they had never taken him take that to the bank brohans
That'd be a good thing to mention in a thread about neato things. This isn't really that thread. Maybe you could start one.

I don't know who was the all-time fastest, but Darrell Green was beating the supposed "NFL's Fastest" in footraces at 40 years old. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he was running sub 4.3s when he retired. Dude was just an athletic freak.

The fastest guy I've ever seen in relation to those he was playing against was Rocket Ismail in college.

In the NFL, my guess would be Bob Hayes. The sitting world record holder in the 100 who turned out to be a pretty damned good player (unlike gimmicks like Ron Brown, etc..who couldn't play).
Yea, if we're talking pure track speed the answer is probably Bob Hayes.

If we're talking high-level football players who were also fast then I still say it's either Bo or Jim Thorpe.

That'd be a good thing to mention in a thread about neato things. This isn't really that thread. Maybe you could start one.
I would actively follow a 'neato things' thread by SWC. :blackdot:

Who is faster than don Beebe? Say somethin, c'mon, say somethin. lol

Leon Lett gets caught by Don Beebe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLw3ewIo8Ws

Deion Sanders caught Beebe from behind
Deion Runs Down Bo?

LOL
I'd be curious to see a better view of that. What kind of angle did Deion have? I thought Deion was a little faster, but I'd like to see what that looked like. Also, Deion was 18 when Bo was 22. Doubt Deion was even a fully developed man by then.

ETA- I only look at this as a "how fast were they on the field." If they weren't starters (or at least full time returners), I don't care. I figure we discuss this because of our football interests, not our shared love for track and field. Out of pads don't matter.

Jim Thorpe

/thread

How has nobody mentioned Thorpe? The guy ran a 10.0 second 100-meter multiple times, which was unheard of back then for anyone, not just a sport athlete. In pads he was nearly as fast.

I don't understand how people discount historic players so much. Bo Jackson was definitely faster than Chris Johnson. He was one of the best athletes in modern history (Thorpe being #1). I find it incredibly annoying that NFL fans don't give historic players the credit they deserve. Baseball players like Ted Williams and Babe Ruth are legends but nobody thinks Don Hutson would do anything noteworthy in today's game. I don't get it at all.

edit: I suppose technically this thread said fastest in NFL history and Thorpe was before the NFL, but still. He's the fastest football player ever and I think that's a better question. Another thing I hate is people think football began with the NFL. I'm pretty sure football existed longer before the NFL than the NFL has been in existence.
Hey I agree.

Throw in Bullet Bob Hayes too.

Thing is, most of the great speedsters never become memorable football players. The Saints drafted a WR named Larry Burton in the first round one year out of Purdue. He finished 4th in the Olympics, but he never did much in the league. Same thing with guys like Jeff Demps and Ronaldo Nehemiah and others, incredibly fast men who can't catch, run a pattern, shake a chuck, stay healthy, take a hit, what have you. Also, being sneaky fast and being elusive is probably better than straight line speed in football.

Darrell Green on the Dan Patrick show today stated at age 53 he could still run 4.49 easily. Said he ran 4.43 at age 50.

In his opinion the 2 fastest guys ever in NFL are Bob Hayes and Darrell Green.

Darrell Green on the Dan Patrick show today stated at age 53 he could still run 4.49 easily. Said he ran 4.43 at age 50.

In his opinion the 2 fastest guys ever in NFL are Bob Hayes and Darrell Green.
Jordan said he could play in the NBA at 50

people say things

for people saying the 40 should be an obstacle course or run in pads, they have a ton of film to see how fast someone is in pads, the 40 is a different measure of their athletic speed

it is seen by the press and fans often as the end all and be all, THAT is the error. If taken along with the film as another piece of info it is useful. I think it also speaks to work ethic and desire and handling pressure as it is an athletic feat they should be used to (running) in a context they are not used to (no pads, start at the gun, straight line no worries). Sometimes it can, along with other things, show how seriously someone has prepared for the combine, which is in and of itself useful information, or how well they handle a high pressure situation.

the 40 is fine, people just need to stop thinking it is the final word on a players speed

Jordan saying he could play in the NBA at 50 is different than Green saying he ran a 4.43 40 at age 50.

An old guy isn't gonna lose a ton of straight line speed if he has genes like Green. Obviously Green has lost agility, side to side ability, flexibility, etc. as he's aged, which is why he's not running around saying he could play CB in the NFL right now....despite being faster in a straight line than many rookies coming into the league at the position.

Jordan saying he could play in the NBA at 50 is different than Green saying he ran a 4.43 40 at age 50.

An old guy isn't gonna lose a ton of straight line speed if he has genes like Green. Obviously Green has lost agility, side to side ability, flexibility, etc. as he's aged, which is why he's not running around saying he could play CB in the NFL right now....despite being faster in a straight line than many rookies coming into the league at the position.
let him go to the combine and prove it

i call BS, it is bravado

let him go to the combine and prove iti call BS, it is bravado
I'm sure that means a great deal to him.

I'm done discussing this, I was just making a comment about your comparison to Jordan's statement.

In and out of pads, it was probably Bob Hayes but Darrell Green was right there. He did beat Gault too in that NFL's fastest man race. I do think the 100M is a better measure than the 40yd dash since it includes both acceleration and sustained top end speed.

100M times:

Usain Bolt: 9.58 world record

Tyson Gay: 9.69

Carl Lewis: 9.86

Bob Hayes: 10.06 (9.91 wind assisted)

Darrell Green: 10.08

Michael Bennett: 10.18

Deion Sanders: 10.21

Hershel Walker: 10.23

Adrian Peterson: 10.33

Chris Johnson: 10.38 (high school time)

Bo Jackson: 10.39

TwinTurbo said:
In and out of pads, it was probably Bob Hayes but Darrell Green was right there. He did beat Gault too in that NFL's fastest man race. I do think the 100M is a better measure than the 40yd dash since it includes both acceleration and sustained top end speed.

100M times:

Moss ran a 200 meter dash for the first time ever in college, no track training and posted 21.15 qualifying for NCAA finals. He also ran a 6.32 60 meter. No 100 as far as I know unfortunately. He ran track for all of 3 days.

TwinTurbo said:

100M times:

Moss ran a 200 meter dash for the first time ever in college, no track training and posted 21.15 qualifying for NCAA finals. He also ran a 6.32 60 meter. No 100 as far as I know unfortunately. He ran track for all of 3 days.
Moss was deceptively VERY fast in his early years. This clip, albeit shoddy quality, should dispel anyone who believes otherwise-- dude makes secondary look like they are standing still -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d5jyfNzgsg

TwinTurbo said:

100M times:

Moss was deceptively VERY fast in his early years. This clip, albeit shoddy quality, should dispel anyone who believes otherwise-- dude makes secondary look like they are standing still -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d5jyfNzgsg
Here's another fast guy that I didn't list, Terrance Newman, running down Randy Moss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CATHO_2onWM

Granted this was not 1998 Moss, but Newman did run a 10.20 in the 100m. Jamaal Charles is another burner that ran it in 10.13. I still think guys like Bob Hayes or Darrell Green were both faster.

TwinTurbo said:

100M times:

Curtis Dickey 10.11

Has anyone mentioned yet that the 40 is the dumbest thing ever?? I mean, it's fun to talk about sometimes, but there is no tangible use for a 40 time at all.

You want the 40 to be a little more accurate?? Make the RBs wear pads and carry a football while running in zigzags. WHile people are swinging their hands at them trying to strip the ball.

Not running it in sprinters shoes with little biker shorts, no shirt, and not even really looking where they are going.
Hand timing the 40 is the dumbest thing ever. The 40 itself isn't dumb if you're measuring it correctly and measure every 10-yard increment. The times for each interval can be meaningful to determine top end speed/acceleration, which is more important because some guys have a bad start and some a great one.
I would agree with everything you just said..................if they ran the 40 in pads and in a way that more accurately represents what their position does.
Ok we get it, you don't like the 40. You mentioned it 3 times. Now let it go. It's just a unit of measurement to compare people on an even basis. Lets just have everyone in the combine do every drill in their full gear including broad jump and bench press. After all, it's closer to real game situations that way.

Users who are viewing this thread