What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the most overrated defensive player listed? (1 Viewer)

Who is the most overrated D player listed?

• Deion Sanders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brian Urlacher

• Warren Sapp

• Lavar Arrington

• Dan Morgan

• Champ Bailey

• Roy Williams

• Jevon Kearse

• Ray Lewis

• Julius Peppers

• Total voters
Kearse by far... if he doesnt record a sack, he doesnt make the takle. His sack numbers are horrible since his injury but he still talked the Eagles into a big contract. a couple players on this list should not even recieve one vote...others have declined due yo age (heck , Primetime is retired )

Yes...the former MVP and heart and soul of the 2002 Super Bowl team and one of the greatest defenses in NFL history is over-rated.?

IMO this should be Arrington by a landslide. This guy got paid for potential alone and has not even come close to living up to it.I would say Roy Williams #2 and dissagree with the Kearse statments. He may not get a lot of sacks but every time I watch the Eagles play he is in the backfield pressuring the QB and dissrupting things...sacks is an over-rated stat and I'd love to see QB knockdowns implimented.

IMO this should be Arrington by a landslide. This guy got paid for potential alone and has not even come close to living up to it.

I would say Roy Williams #2 and dissagree with the Kearse statments. He may not get a lot of sacks but every time I watch the Eagles play he is in the backfield pressuring the QB and dissrupting things...sacks is an over-rated stat and I'd love to see QB knockdowns implimented.
so you are the 1 Eagles fan who thinks Kearse's productivity is worth the pricetag... I am sure there maybe a couple more, but they are related to Joe Banner and Andy Reid. He doesnt disrupt anything anymore except the salary cap.

Kearse is a waste... :yucky:

It was between Roy and Warren. I went with Warren due to my strong dislike towards the man. I hear Sapp's name and remember the incident between him and Mike Sherman. Horrible.

IMO this should be Arrington by a landslide. This guy got paid for potential alone and has not even come close to living up to it.

I would say Roy Williams #2 and dissagree with the Kearse statments. He may not get a lot of sacks but every time I watch the Eagles play he is in the backfield pressuring the QB and dissrupting things...sacks is an over-rated stat and I'd love to see QB knockdowns implimented.
so you are the 1 Eagles fan who thinks Kearse's productivity is worth the pricetag... I am sure there maybe a couple more, but they are related to Joe Banner and Andy Reid. He doesnt disrupt anything anymore except the salary cap.

Kearse is a waste... :yucky:
nope, not an Eagles fan at all. I must just cathc his good gamses.The poll said over-rated, not over-paid...I didn't take his contract into consideration at all, just don't feel like I really ever hear anything about him so thought "how could be be over rated"?

I think it's sapp, currently. He's still living off the hype. Deion wasn't what he was in his prime, but still solid. But, in his prime? He was awesome. Stats belie his effect, becasue teams simply wouldn't throw to his side. I really don't think anybody else on the list is overrated.

Sanders and Lewis are lock Hall of Famers and among the best to ever play their positions, so I can assume you mean overrated based on their skills TODAY?

If that's the case, i would content that Sanders isn't overrated...he was a part-time nickel back for an OK, not great, Ravens defense and is retiring because he's washed up. And while Ray Ray is no longer the most dominant defensive player in the game, he's still among the best at his position IF healthy.

Sapp is also a potential Hall of Famer who was CLEARLY the best defensive tackle in the league for much of his career [but he's been overpaid by the Raiders for sure, surprise surprise].

Of the younger players...

Urlacher is a true stud. Just listen to his teammates talk about him, they universally contend he's the glue that makes the Bears defense unstoppable.

Peppers is a bit overrated in that he gets by on physical talent but hasn't honed his craft to meet lofty expectations, but he's still among the league's top DEs.
Champ Bailey probably wasn't worth what Denver gave up for him, but he remains one of the few true man-to-man cover corners in the NFL.
Dan Morgan can't win this, because I'm not sure many people even think of him as an elite defender, do they? I certainly don't.That leaves Kearse, Arrington and Roy Williams.

While Roy Williams absolutely isn't the do-everything impact safety people thought he would be out of Oklahoma, he is an excellent in the box safety and really found his role again in the Dallas defense this year. Plus, I'm not sure anyone really considers him the best at his position [Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins, etc...], so I can't vote for him.

That leaves Kearse and Arrington...tough choice.

In terms of pay, both are HIGHLY overpaid. Kearse got HUGE money from the Birds [biggest DE contract ever at the time] and has back to back sub-8 sack seasons. The Eagles brought him in to gobble up double teams and be a force, yet not only has he been ineffective when doubled, offenses have actually STOPPED doubling him and yet he's still erratic.

But I have to give the slight nod to Arrington. How the guy made so many Pro Bowls is baffling. When Joe Gibbs, Gregg Williams AND Marvin Lewis all basically say you're undisciplined and hurting the team more than helping, I can't see how anyone can argue that Arrington isn't worth the hype or the $$$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: How can a guy be considered one of the best LBers in the game and be sat because the team is better off w/o him is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread