What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the most overrated player in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Who is the NFL's most overrated player

• Michael Vick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warren Sapp

• Lavar Arrington

• Keyshawn Johnson

• Tom Brady

• Ray Lewis

• Champ Bailey

• Brian Urlacher

• Peyton Manning

• (other)

• Total voters
I'm operating under the assumption that this is a discussion of "most overrated player in the NFL" and not "most overrated fantasy football player." I've limited my discussion to offensive players. My list includes:QB Daunte Culpepper: Great size, big numbers, but this guy makes too many poor decisions and is forced into too many turnovers (both INTs and fumbles). I just don't see him leading the Vikings far into the playoffs anytime soon.RB Deuce McAllister: put up good numbers the previous two seasons, but he seems very inconsistent. Also, I haven't seen him breakaway for many big runs, his speed isn't very impressive.RB honorable mention: Edgerrin James. Generally a great back, but he gets stuffed at the goalline too often, especially in big games. Refer to recent Pats/Indy games...WR -- can't say I think there are many overrated WRs. The big 3 (Moss, Harrison, Owens) are incredible. If any are overrated, it's the Seattle receivers. Once in awhile they'll have big games, but they drop too many damn balls.TE Jeremy Shockey: can't stay healthy and the mullet has grown inwards, cutting off circulation to the brain.

look at ATL's record with him as a starter and without. any questions?the most overrated player is brian urlacher. with the exception of being white and playing in a major media market what has he done?
Look at the Bears record with Urlacher and without.Vick is a good QB, but with the kind of attention he gets you would think he is among the top rung. He isnt. Vick simply cant be mentioned in the company of Manning, Culpepper, or McNabb, but he constantly is. I would put Brady and Favre above him as well. For a guy that gets the attention Vick does not to crack the top 5 QBs in the league, thats overrated. Urlacher may not be the best LB in the league, but I'd put him in my top 5 for sure.

look at ATL's record with him as a starter and without. any questions?the most overrated player is brian urlacher. with the exception of being white and playing in a major media market what has he done?
Look at the Bears record with Urlacher and without.Vick is a good QB, but with the kind of attention he gets you would think he is among the top rung. He isnt. Vick simply cant be mentioned in the company of Manning, Culpepper, or McNabb, but he constantly is. I would put Brady and Favre above him as well. For a guy that gets the attention Vick does not to crack the top 5 QBs in the league, thats overrated. Urlacher may not be the best LB in the league, but I'd put him in my top 5 for sure.
Urlacher is a difference maker, plain and simple. The Bears record this year reflects that. I guess the word overrated can be interpreted differently by everyone. Being a Bears fan and seeing this guy every Sunday, I can definitely say he is not overrated in the least bit. He makes plays and forces offenses to change their schemes to account for him. :rant: :hot:

There is a difference between hype and rating. That needs to be understood when talking about who is the most overrated player. Hype is about publicity, how much sports writers and commentators talk about players as someone to watch and be excited about. For example, Mike Vick, who is not overrated contrary to leading this poll. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say, "Vick is one of the best QBs in the NFL." That would be false, and would be way overrating him. However, I have heard and agree with statements like, "Vick is one of the best athletes in the NFL," or "Vick is one of the best playmakers in the game." This is obvious when you watch Vick play, he is exciting and amazing, but not for his high level of skill at the QB position (reading defenses, throwing to the right receiver, ball placement, audibles, leadership, etc...) but because he can get out of a sack that every other QB in the league couldn't, outrun every guy on the other teams defense, and make plays like his overtime game winner against the Vikings last year. He is hyped because we watch football for entertainment, and despite not being the best quarterback, he entertains the fans more than any other player in the game. Now on the other hand, overrating is about a player being pimped as one of the best football players in the game when their skills to not meet that level. For that, you can be a great player and still be overrated, so long as you aren't as great as people say you are. For example, if you are rated a 99 out of 100, when you are really a 92 out of 100, you are overrated. For that reason, it isn't so wrong to put players like Peyton on this list, because I have heard and read statements about him being one of the top 3 quarterbacks of all time. I am not saying that he is overrated, but if you don't think he belongs in the top 3 of all time, then you might think he is. Players get overrated all the time for various reasons, like being in New York (Shockey), being in a great system (Denver RBs), or having great players around you who make you and your stats look better than they are (Warner). All that being said, who do I think is overrated? Well, Brady is one because I hear his name in the mix for top three QBs. Watch a Patriots game, they don't win because of Brady, they just don't lose because of him and that is good enough for a team coached that well with a defense that good. The whole point of that offense is to make it so the QB doesn't have to make any difficult throws, which Brady rarely does. I think Brady is a great QB, but I don't think he plays at the level that he is rated at. Another player I think is overrated is Portis. Denver knows that people are blinded by stats and hype in rating players all the time. If Shanahan were smart, he would read "Moneyball" and do what Billy Beane does with his closers (put them in a situation where they will get great stats for a year and trade them for players that fill one of your needs). Lastly, I think any player that Joe Theisman talks about is overrated. How many time have you heard him of one of his pathetic sidekicks say something like, "folks, that may be the best play you will ever see," or "I don't know if you can say that there is a better player in football right now." Just thought I would throw that out there too, since I can't stand the ESPN crew. Those are just my thoughts, you can agree/disagree with anything. Just please don't say something without explaining your reasoning. The only time anyone cares what you think is if they know why you think it.

I don't think any of those players are overrated.

Here are a few that I think are:

K Robinson

S Moss

R Gardner

Any Denver RB

D Culpepper

S McNair

T Brady
I fixed your accidental omission. Given your posts on him, I'm sure you meant him to be in the list. :P

I'm amazed it took to get to page 2 to get to Shockey. Given all of the criticism the Bengals got for passing on him in favor of Levi Jones, I take extra glee in this fact.Pennington for QB intuitively makes sense. You can't mention Vick without noting that it's Peerless Price who I guess is now formerly overrated since his stock has tumbled so far.Would Mare be considered the over-rated kicker? I guess Gramatica WAS the overrated kicker ;)Is it fair to call any Denver RB overrated b/c of the line they get to run behind? :)The funny thing is, in the "Not For Long" league, guys tend not to stay overrated for very long :D -QG

In the "I'm not really sure I mean this" category:The Chiefs O-line.Awesome in the running game.LOUSY at protecting Green with the game on the line.

Lewis-- overrated? Pluuh-leease! :angry: And Manning too? What just because he hasn't won a Super Bowl yet *cough*Marino*cough*
Ray Lewis is good, very good. But he does not live up to all of the hype he receives, especially from ESPN. In fact this year Ray Lewis isn't even the best defensive player on the Ravens. That honor goes to Ed Reed.All that being said I think that Michael Vick is probably the most over-hyped, overrated player. He is better than Kordell Stewart was in his hey-day, but not as good as Randall Cunningham was in his.

All that being said I think that Michael Vick is probably the most over-hyped, overrated player. He is better than Kordell Stewart was in his hey-day
I'm not even sure this is true just yet to be honest. Kordell had a heck of a season in 97 with 21 td passes and 11 td runs. Vick has yet to perform up to this level stat wise. Kordell also took the Steelers to at least a few AFC Championiship games, agian something Vick has yet to do.

Peyton Manning is an option for most overrated? :eek: :hophead:
Overrated doesn't mean bad, it simply means not as good as commonly thought to be. A guy like Peyton Manning who is putting together statistically by far the best season of all time without being (IMO) in the top 5, maybe top 10 QB's of all time could qualify as overrated, even though he is very, very good.

I think Vick is overrated, but not the most in that he's clearly a very dangerous weapon capable of helping a team win (a lot) of games. QBs I would consider overrated include: Aaron Brooks, Joey Harrington and Ben Roethlisberger
Don't agree on Big Ben, but yes on Vick. Vick is easily the most overrated fantasy QB out there, but in terms of the real NFL, he is such a dynamic threat that he can help his team win games just by skewing the coverage (e.g. forcing them to commit a safety as a spy).

Hey jurb,The question was who was overrated? I think Big Ben deserves a ton of credit, but the idea that he's worthy of MVP consideration is silly IMHO. The guy is playing the role of Trent Dilfer in Baltimore for the Steelers this year. He's managing the game, limiting his mistakes and staying out of the way of a running game and defense. When asked, he's made a big throw or two. But anyone that's averaging 170 yards and 14 completions per game is a caretaker and people need to recognize that. To be clear, I think Big Ben can and will develop into a true passer, but right now he's not the reason the Steelers are winning games, other than the fact that he's not losing them either.
I dont think that he is overrated though. I mean we are talking about a guy who through his 1st 11 NFL games has yet to loose. Now is this all him playing well, NO. But this is a freaking ROOKIE. ROOKIES are supposed to make ROOKIE mistakes to prevent 11 game unbeaten streaks from happening. ROOKIES are not supposed to step in and have a QB rating of over 80, yet 105 like Ben! This is a guy tht is simply breaking all of the rules when it comes to ROOKIE QBs in the NFL. Plus if I were to vote for Pro Bowl right now the 3 QBs I woulod be sending in the AFC would have to be" Manning, Brees, and Ben. Brady is neck and neck with him IMO, but being unbeatien and having a better passer rating should give him the edge IMO.

Look at the Bears record with Urlacher and without.
it sucks with and without. rex grossman had more to do with chicago wins than urlacjer. ditto for t.jones.chicago caught lightning in a bottle a few years back. they have sucked ever since

Last edited by a moderator:
The question was who was overrated? I think Big Ben deserves a ton of credit, but the idea that he's worthy of MVP consideration is silly IMHO. The guy is playing the role of Trent Dilfer in Baltimore for the Steelers this year. He's managing the game, limiting his mistakes and staying out of the way of a running game and defense. When asked, he's made a big throw or two. But anyone that's averaging 170 yards and 14 completions per game is a caretaker and people need to recognize that. To be clear, I think Big Ben can and will develop into a true passer, but right now he's not the reason the Steelers are winning games, other than the fact that he's not losing them either.
Come now.Big Ben is having a great year. Few people are calling him MVP; most are just saying that he is playing like a pro-bowl caliber QB, which is almost unheard of for a rookie, let alone a rookie with only 3 years of college experience.Dilfer's 2000 season: 133/225 = 59.1% completion, 6.7 YPA, 12 TD, 11 INTBig Ben 2004: 164/248 = 66.1% ( :eek: ), 8.4 YPA ( :eek: ), 14 TD 8 INT (not :eek: but not bad either)

McNair. After his 7 year breakout plan he finally showed he can throw it consistantly. Then some nobody backup comes in and does the same. Hmmm....

Big Ben has a dominating OLine in front of him which gives him plenty of time. Anywhere else and he's average. He appears to be hitting the rookie wall of late and should be one and done in the playoffs. :yes:

Another player I think is overrated is Portis. Denver knows that people are blinded by stats and hype in rating players all the time. If Shanahan were smart, he would read "Moneyball" and do what Billy Beane does with his closers (put them in a situation where they will get great stats for a year and trade them for players that fill one of your needs).
Um, isn't that exactly what Shanny did? They flipped Portis for Champ, the best (debatable) player at a very important (also debatable) position.Anyway, why is Keyshawn getting all these votes? Why is he even on the list? Does anyone look at Key as anything more than a possession reciever these days? Who has hyped up Keyshawn in the last 3 years to make you think hes overrated?

Big Ben has a dominating OLine in front of him which gives him plenty of time. Anywhere else and he's average. He appears to be hitting the rookie wall of late and should be one and done in the playoffs. :yes:
Please be serious. The dominating pittsburgh steelers line didn't make Tommy Maddox look like a pro-bowler.

Another player I think is overrated is Portis. Denver knows that people are blinded by stats and hype in rating players all the time. If Shanahan were smart, he would read "Moneyball" and do what Billy Beane does with his closers (put them in a situation where they will get great stats for a year and trade them for players that fill one of your needs).
Um, isn't that exactly what Shanny did? They flipped Portis for Champ, the best (debatable) player at a very important (also debatable) position.Anyway, why is Keyshawn getting all these votes? Why is he even on the list? Does anyone look at Key as anything more than a possession reciever these days? Who has hyped up Keyshawn in the last 3 years to make you think hes overrated?
I think people are confusing the past with present hype. (granted, I did vote for Sapp)At one time, just 3 years ago, Keyshawn was among the elite.Now, you're right. He's a good #3 in FF, and a decent possession guy for Dallas.

One person I didn't mention but needs to be on this list, Ruben Brown. Even the media talking heads saw through this one for a few years now; the guy was getting voted into Pro Bowls when the Bills were struggling, he wasn't playing well, and even sat out a game (which sealed his fate in BUF because he was mentally drained).

Steve McNair over the past 5 yrs, has been without a doubt... the most overrated, and biggest ##### in the NFL. A bruised sternum keeps him out 5 games every year, among other injuries that no other players report. People praise him on his toughness, but he's a poose. The guy is not even that good of a QB... he just hobbles around anad people think he's so tough. Brett Favre, Byron Leftwich, and any other QB are tough, McNair's a fraud.

I think Vick is overrated, but not the most in that he's clearly a very dangerous weapon capable of helping a team win (a lot) of games. QBs I would consider overrated include: Aaron Brooks, Joey Harrington and Ben Roethlisberger
How in the world does a guy who is a rookie, not even having played a full season yet and still undefeted get mentioned in the likes of these 2 guys. Ben has won more games in his first 11 then these 2 combined and had less games to do it.
Hey jurb,The question was who was overrated? I think Big Ben deserves a ton of credit, but the idea that he's worthy of MVP consideration is silly IMHO. The guy is playing the role of Trent Dilfer in Baltimore for the Steelers this year. He's managing the game, limiting his mistakes and staying out of the way of a running game and defense. When asked, he's made a big throw or two. But anyone that's averaging 170 yards and 14 completions per game is a caretaker and people need to recognize that. To be clear, I think Big Ben can and will develop into a true passer, but right now he's not the reason the Steelers are winning games, other than the fact that he's not losing them either.
Big Ben has one of the best passer ratings in the league. Us FF players get way too caught up on yards and TDs. In some games, Ben has had lines like 21 of 25 passes completed...thats just being a Trent Dilfer type player? No way! Stop concentrating on just fantasy stats and look at QB rating, late drives to win the game in the clutch, and actually watch him play and you'll see how great he is.

I voted for Vick. An incredible athlete but there is no consistency. Two years ago I thought he was a can't miss stud. :bag:
except they consistently win with him and lose without him.

If Vick were a RB who threw some halfback options we'd all be drooling....he's missing his calling.

it sucks with and without. rex grossman had more to do with chicago wins than urlacjer. ditto for t.jones.chicago caught lightning in a bottle a few years back. they have sucked ever since
I don't think you really know what you're talking about. The Bears are a bad team because their offense is horrible, with the possible exception of Jones, Grossman, and maybe Hutchinson. Without Urlacher, they seem to have no chance. With Urlacher, they can win in spite of their offense. I mean, he has been named Defensive Player of the Week twice this year, all while being injured and missing several weeks. I guess that's all biased shennanigans? He's easily one of the best LBs in the league, there's no denying this. If you can't acknowledge that, I would suggest you don't see much of his play. If you can acknowledge that and still believe that he's overrated, well, I don't know what to tell you. There aren't many people who think of Urlacher as being Butkus x 4 or something. Most everyone, Bears fans included, just feel he's a top LB in the league, not some sort of legend.

How in the world does a guy who is a rookie, not even having played a full season yet and still undefeted get mentioned in the likes of these 2 guys. Ben has won more games in his first 11 then these 2 combined and had less games to do it.
Big Ben has one of the best passer ratings in the league. Us FF players get way too caught up on yards and TDs. In some games, Ben has had lines like 21 of 25 passes completed...thats just being a Trent Dilfer type player? No way! Stop concentrating on just fantasy stats and look at QB rating, late drives to win the game in the clutch, and actually watch him play and you'll see how great he is.
jwv,By now you should know better than to suggest I'm looking at fantasy stats exclusively when I'm discussing a topic that's not directly NFL related; give me a little creditThe point is, because of the unlikely story of Big Ben's 11-0 start to his career, he's being given praise which while PARTIALLY deserved, has gotten to the point of being overdone. That's my OPINION, which is all we each can go on in a discussion such as this.I'm fully aware of what he's done...have actually seen him play LIVE this year, and watched another couple games. Yes, he's played well...and I'm sure the Steelers are giddy he fell to them in the draft. But at this point, the hype has overtaken his performance.

I have to go with Shockey. The buzz about this guy drives me nuts. As do his pumped up jestures after a mid-field 5 yard reception. Favre also gets more than his due. He's a great player with a great arm and a great attitude, but not God's all-time greatest gift to football like the media sometimes makes him sound. Page 3 and still no mention of McNabb? I guess Rush Limbaugh doesn't hangout in the Shark Pool. :D

I don't think you really know what you're talking about. The Bears are a bad team because their offense is horrible, with the possible exception of Jones, Grossman, and maybe Hutchinson. Without Urlacher, they seem to have no chance. With Urlacher, they can win in spite of their offense. I mean, he has been named Defensive Player of the Week twice this year, all while being injured and missing several weeks. I guess that's all biased shennanigans? He's easily one of the best LBs in the league, there's no denying this. If you can't acknowledge that, I would suggest you don't see much of his play. If you can acknowledge that and still believe that he's overrated, well, I don't know what to tell you. There aren't many people who think of Urlacher as being Butkus x 4 or something. Most everyone, Bears fans included, just feel he's a top LB in the league, not some sort of legend.
That's the problem with Urlacher critics. With all of the success that Chicago has had in the years past at MLB (see Butkus and Singletary) the media and homers from other teams think that Urlacher is to be the 3rd coming. I'm sorry. There will never be another Butkus. There will never be another Singletary. Ray Ray, eat your heart out...you'll never match-up to the greatness of a Singletary or Butkus. That being said, if Urlacher is considered to be overrated, then I'm going to call out Baltimore fans and claim that RayRay is overrated, as well. Problem with RayRay is that he doesn't have expectations of icons like Butkus and Singletary to live up to. Bottom line is know this: we take great pride in our defense in Chicago and that defense is lead generally by our MLB position. It's not Chicago fans that are hyping him up. It's all the other yahoos that don't know squat about Chicago football that do. Blame them. I don't care if you think Urlacher is overrated. I wouldn't want any other MLB in the game right now playing in Chicago and YES, that includes RayRay.

That's the problem with Urlacher critics. With all of the success that Chicago has had in the years past at MLB (see Butkus and Singletary) the media and homers from other teams think that Urlacher is to be the 3rd coming. I'm sorry. There will never be another Butkus. There will never be another Singletary. Ray Ray, eat your heart out...you'll never match-up to the greatness of a Singletary or Butkus. That being said, if Urlacher is considered to be overrated, then I'm going to call out Baltimore fans and claim that RayRay is overrated, as well. Problem with RayRay is that he doesn't have expectations of icons like Butkus and Singletary to live up to. Bottom line is know this: we take great pride in our defense in Chicago and that defense is lead generally by our MLB position. It's not Chicago fans that are hyping him up. It's all the other yahoos that don't know squat about Chicago football that do. Blame them. I don't care if you think Urlacher is overrated. I wouldn't want any other MLB in the game right now playing in Chicago and YES, that includes RayRay.
Urlacher is a great player, no doubt about it. However, he plays LB in Chicago so he gets hyped up and mentioned in the same breath as Butkus and Singletary. You can be overrated but also be a great player, it's just a matter of how hyped up a player is beyond what they really deserve.

:goodposting: :goodposting:

Look at the Bears records on the teams Butkus played on. They were awful. Did that mean Butkus was overrated?

Look at the Bears records on the teams Butkus played on. They were awful. Did that mean Butkus was overrated?
Bears with Urlacher - 5-4Bears without Urlacher - 0-4The numbers speak for themselves - although it isn't all due to Urlacher, I would say that a lot of their wins WERE due to Urlacher. The Packers and Vikings games he basically took the games over defensively.Strip of Ahman green at the goalline - returned for TDInterception of Culpepper on the goallineThe guy is a playmaker :popcorn:

Bears with Urlacher - 5-4Bears without Urlacher - 0-4The numbers speak for themselves - although it isn't all due to Urlacher, I would say that a lot of their wins WERE due to Urlacher. The Packers and Vikings games he basically took the games over defensively.Strip of Ahman green at the goalline - returned for TDInterception of Culpepper on the goallineThe guy is a playmaker :popcorn:
And your avatar gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. :thumbup:

how does vick not live up to the hype?

look at ATL's record with him as a starter and without. any questions?
Just one. How come whenever people bring up the record deal with Vick they never bring up the fact the other QBs the Falcons had last year were pathetic and because of that Atlanta had virtually no chance at winning whatsoever? Not to knock Vick, but something tells me if he got hurt again this year the Falcons would fare MUCH better than they did a year ago.
becasue they have basically the same players this year as last year. vick makes thier defense better too. cant explain it, but look at the defensive stats with him in the lineup and without.

atl's record speaks for itself. if p.manning goes down in indy and qb#2 stinks the joint up, do you say that manning is overrated? ...hey they could have gotten a better qb than qb#2 and fared much better
Vick is over-rated and the Falcons win in spite of him. - 11 Td's versus 10 int's

- 2124 yds 20 or more QB's with more yardage

- 79 QB rating

- 6 fumbles lost

- 57% completion rating

+ over 800 yds rushing

- only two TD's rushing

So he accounts for 13 touchdowns and 13 fumbles lost

Running Backs have over 1,200 yds and 15 Td's to 4 fumbles lost

Defense/St accounts for 5 Td's and around 24 turn overs.

You put a true starting QB under center with this years Atlanta team and they are rolling. I am not talking a back-up slacker.

The fact that Big Ben is doing better than Vick in his rookie year tell a lot about how bad Vick really is. Just think about the mighty Vick only has

- 1 more rushing TD

- 3 less Td's thrown

- 2 more picks

- 4 more fumbles

- 10% less completion rating

- 2 more loses (I know some of you count this)

- worse QB rating

- But on the bright side Vick has alot more runs

- 3 more years NFL experience (41 games should be around 60+)

Manning on this list is a joke. I know a lot of you hate him and think he is selfish but he is having the best season of all-time and some of you are calling him over-rated? What does it take. Throw on EVERY down and average 5 TD's a game so more people can call you selfish. I don't think Marino ever had a back rush for 1000 yards while he was in Miami, Edge has gone over 1000 every year he has been healthy. Indy's offense is much more balanced than Miami's ever was under Marino. Manning bashers will never be satisfied.Trent Green? He was never even drafted. I consider it quite an accomplishment that he is even a starting QB. When has there ever been any Trent Green hype? Is the guy a great QB, no, but who has ever claimed he was? So he over-threw your FF WR, he must be doing something right, every KC game I have seen for the last 4 years he has been the QB. Most over-rated of all time. You would have to be a top 5 pick in the draft and be a total bust. Rick Mirer, Tony Mandarich, and Ki-Jana Carter come to mind. If the guy has ever worked for Fedex or a grocery store he can not be over-rated.

If anybody's hit the wall of late, I'd say it was the O Line and not Ben.

Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?, Player that doesn't live up to the hype
Charles Woodsen - above average NFL cornerback but nowhere near the All-NFL talk he generates. He makes Champ Bailey look like a shut down corner. :boxing:

Finally, I think Brett Favre is probably the most overrated player by the average fan.
Wow, I'm a die hard Vikings fan and even I almost blew milk out my nose when I saw this. Favre is one of the best QBs of all time, yes he has his bad games but who not named P. Manning doesn't.Far as LT2 goes sounds to me like someone finaly got him on his team this year and instead of the 30+ PPG he was expecting is only getting 17 PPG with the occasional 25. Just so I'm not only ripping on others opinions I'll give mine.Aaron Brooks - this guy is as inconsistant an NFL QB as you will find. The guy will throw a 40 yard bullet between two defensers one play, take a 17 yard sack the next, over throw a guy by 20 yards (not kidding), follwed by a fumble after that. Fantasy people get too caught up in numbers when it comes to QBs. C-Pep for example until this year has been horrid. Never had we witnessed a come from behind victory and far to often saw a plethera of turnovers in close game to lose them. He put up great fantasy numbers though so anyone not watching vikings games every week thought he was god.On the opposite side I get really sick of people thinking Tom Brady is overhyped because he doesn't put up great numbers and has won 2 super bowls. Watch the guy play and you will be impressed. Topics like this need to specify whether they are talking fantasy or real life because it seems like only half the people in here realize there is a differnce. Players like Vick and Rothlesburger are winners and that's what matters the most.

Vick is over-rated and the Falcons win in spite of him.
so why don't they win without him? If the backup is that big of a dropoff that the team can't win in spite of the backup, sounds to me like he's a solid starting QB. Vick's numbers were very good in 2002. Did they win in spite of him in 2002?

Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?, Player that doesn't live up to the hype
Charles Woodsen - above average NFL cornerback but nowhere near the All-NFL talk he generates. He makes Champ Bailey look like a shut down corner. :boxing:
I think we just found out why this guy is a 'chronic' underachiever. He (and teammate) Marquis Anderson were arrested last night/this morning for some type of drunken conduct. Mort also reported on ESPN that he was a part of the NFL's substance abuse policy at some point in his career.I'll stick with him as my choice for most overrated player in the NFL...it's not often that 'evidence' comes up this quick (arrested and being lit up by Volek/Bennett in a 12 hour time period).

Last edited:
Vick is over-rated and the Falcons win in spite of him.
so why don't they win without him? If the backup is that big of a dropoff that the team can't win in spite of the backup, sounds to me like he's a solid starting QB. Vick's numbers were very good in 2002. Did they win in spite of him in 2002?
He is average and has hurt the team with chronic turn-overs.Without the D performing at it's current level they do not win as many games. Yes there is a drop off to the backup but that's true with every team. He is an average QB that people want to be so much better than he is because he can run. There are alot of average QB's that could take his place. Vick is not the sole reason or the main reason the Falcons are 10-3 right now if the Defense doesn't pull a couple out they are 8-5 or worse. But I am tired of pointing out he is average and overrated. People will believe what they want. Although, I am willing to wait 10 years and see if I am wrong. I doubt he put's up the coninued wins or numbers to make us remember him for anything more than an oddity (fast QB).

if Urlacher is considered to be overrated, then I'm going to call out Baltimore fans and claim that RayRay is overrated, as well.  Problem with RayRay is that he doesn't have expectations of icons like Butkus and Singletary to live up to.
rayray has his own expectations to live up to, that he created, not some talking heads. thats whats happens when you win a super bowl and a super bowl mvp and a defensive player of the year award. singletary couldnt carry his jock, even buddy ryan thought so. and buddy ryan coached mike singletary

Users who are viewing this thread