What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the most overrated player on this list? (1 Viewer)

Who is (was) the most overrated player listed

• Barry Sanders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emmitt Smith

• Bo Jackson

• Lynn Swann

• Dan Marino

• Brett Favre

• Donovan McNabb

• Peyton Manning

• Randy Moss

• Tony Gonzalez

• Total voters
From this list, Lynn Swann, Donovan Mcnabb and Bo Jackson are the only players that will NOT go down in history to be amongst the best at their position. So I would be begin to drill down from there. And to be fair, noone says Bo was the "best ever", they say he had the most talent of anyone theyd ever seen play.

I know MANY will jump down my throat for this, but I go w/ Emmit. I respect the hell out of him for the way he played through so many injuries, but other backs during Emmits era alone -forget all time- could have put up superstar #s behind what I believe was the best 0-line ever assembled.What, no Prime Time on this list? How is a defensive player that refuses to tackle not overhyped? Great cover corner... absolutley. Great kick returner... of course. Weakest little defender I've ever seen... without a doubt. I'd run the ball 40 times a game to his side while my big-stud WR was run blocking through him to the safety.

Gotta be Barry Sanders or Emmitt. Many consider Barry the best ever, but in reality he was just the most exciting ever, except maybe for Sayers. A RB needs to be able to get the tough yards to be the best ever. He was not a great receiver...just OK.Emmitt could get the tough yards, but was not so versatile. He had a great nose for the endzone even when his line was not so great. He had great vision and balance, which is why he had that great nose for the end zone. He was so-so as a receiver, and average as a blocker -- poor Aikman is still dizzy. 3 rings gets him a lot of respect. So does longevity and the ability to play through pain. So does production -- tops in rush yards and rush TDs. But that production makes him a little over-rated, as the team around him was really that good.Emmitt stacks up better than Barry, and people consider Barry better. So I voted for Barry.Lynn Swann may be the worst player on the list, which is why people voted for him. But nobody ever considered him to be the greatest or close to it. That he got in the HOF is about 4 rings and clutch playoff performances, which is a bit sketchy. But I still say people realize he was just a good player on a great team, so he is not overrated by anyone outside the HOF voters.

Define hype for us. All these players are all stars, some champions, most top three at their postion when they played and there is no rhyme of reason for any of them. Why is Lynn Swann in there with Donovan McNabb? One has been retired and is in the Hall of Fame and the other is a pro bowler and proved his hype by leading his team to the Super Bowl. But they have nothing to do with each other. Maybe list by position, or era, or list some parameters. I'm not sure any athlete in the Hall of Fame (even Bruce Sutter) is "over-hyped."

For the most part I think there has to be a new list of players because the current one is seriously flawed. Maybe one with Greg Jefferies, Tom Gordan, Joe Charbonaugh, Vinny Testaverde (really any U QB), Heath Shuler, Sam Bowie, and Todd Day.

Here is the some poll examples similiar to yours

Which meat is best when cooked? Pork, Fish, Beef, or Camel

Who in this list of hot chicks is hot? Scarlet J, Jolie, Aniston

When is it daylight? When the sun is up, when the sun is just coming up, when the sun is almost down

Who is fat? Rosanne, Mama Cass, Nell Carter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note to Bo Jackson haters: This is about hype right? Only Barry Sanders and John Elway lived up to the hype like Bo. Again we are talking hype here. Why did Bo Jackson not live up to his hype? The Heisman? The HR in the MLB All Star game? The runs up, through, and over making him a virtual highlight reel? He excelled in both sports, an all star on both fields. How did he not live up to the hype? The answer to this should be great.

I was never a fan of any of the teams Bo played on but it is an awful shame that we didn't appreciate his special skills before he was suddenly gone. As a RB he was Earl Campbell and Walter Payton and as a baseball player he was part Willie Mays and that is the only player I dare compare him to athletically.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barry Sanders [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]

Emmitt Smith [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]

Bo Jackson [ 4 ] ** [16.00%]<----BLASPHEMY!!! :rant: :hot:

Lynn Swann [ 11 ] ** [44.00%]

Dan Marino [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]

Brett Favre [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]

Donovan McNabb [ 4 ] ** [16.00%]

Peyton Manning [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]

Randy Moss [ 2 ] ** [8.00%]

Tony Gonzalez [ 1 ] ** [4.00%]

Swann. If he puts up the same numbers on any other team than the Steelers dynasty of the '70s, no way he gets in the HOF.

Gotta be Barry Sanders or Emmitt. Many consider Barry the best ever, but in reality he was just the most exciting ever,
Have you ever watched Barry play?! The man could make anyone miss when you were certain he would be tackled.Barry IS one of the best

Gotta be Barry Sanders or Emmitt. 

Many consider Barry the best ever, but in reality he was just the most exciting ever, except maybe for Sayers.  A RB needs to be able to get the tough yards to be the best ever.  He was not a great receiver...just OK.

Emmitt could get the tough yards, but was not so versatile.  He had a great nose for the endzone even when his line was not so great.  He had great vision and balance, which is why he had that great nose for the end zone.  He was so-so as a receiver, and average as a blocker -- poor Aikman is still dizzy.  3 rings gets him a lot of respect.  So does longevity and the ability to play through pain.  So does production -- tops in rush yards and rush TDs.  But that production makes him a little over-rated, as the team around him was really that good.

Emmitt stacks up better than Barry, and people consider Barry better.  So I voted for Barry.

Lynn Swann may be the worst player on the list, which is why people voted for him.  But nobody ever considered him to be the greatest or close to it.  That he got in the HOF is about 4 rings and clutch playoff performances, which is a bit sketchy.  But I still say people realize he was just a good player on a great team, so he is not overrated by anyone outside the HOF voters.
I agree with your comments about Emmitt but disagree about Barry. Barry, like Walter Payton, was a great player on a bad team (at least for most of Walter's career). And yet they both excelled. Conversely, I view Emmitt in the same manner that you described Swanny, a good player on a great team. Stick him in Detroit and put Barry in Dallas and the record books would look quite different right now. That's why I voted for Emmitt. Hell, he's not even the best RB to ever play for Dallas, and I would be hard pressed to put him among the top 20 all time. The fact that he's the all-time rushing leader is a farce.

Last edited by a moderator:
again no one who voted for mcnabb has the balls to speak up...
I thought this was a poll. :wall: I'll give you this - McNabb is the best QB ever at throwing 5yd dumps to his RBs. A great QB makes his WRs better; see D. Marino.

Only Barry Sanders and John Elway lived up to the hype like Bo. Again we are talking hype here. Why did Bo Jackson not live up to his hype? The Heisman? The HR in the MLB All Star game? The runs up, through, and over making him a virtual highlight reel? He excelled in both sports, an all star on both fields. How did he not live up to the hype? The answer to this should be great.
I'm assuming we are discussing the NFL career of Bo here. I'm not looking at what he did in high school, the NCAA, Baseball or any of his wonderful commercial or TV appearances. Bo played in 4 seasons & never averaged even 16 carries a game over his partial seasons. That seems a little odd for someone that talented. He never finished in the top 10 of any major category in his NFL career. His NFL best season was 86 yards a game. In his 38 game career he averaged 73 yards rushing & 9 yards receiving per game. Over a 16 game schedule he would have averaged 1168 at that pace. That puts his production somewhere just below that of Fast Willie Parker this season. He managed just about 1 catch a game & added a TD about every other game throughout his career. Nothing about Jacksons Pro Football career screams that he should be held in such high regard. What Jackson did have was 4 or 5 plays a year that were simply amazing. He accumulated 15 to 20 highlight plays that have been played over & over the past 15 years. Bo was the 1st & ultimate hype machine.

I don't find Bo overrated, because everyone who rates him:1. Only uses 1 name and everyone knows who he is, unless it's a "don't know Diddley" kind of reference which needs a last name.2. Realizes he played NFL & MLB, which changes their perception of him when they rate him.3. He's not thought of as one of the greatest guys based on career, but more of a talented guy who you go: "What if he hadn't gotten hurt? What if he hadn't played baseball?"If I'm looking at bad selections to Canton, the list of guys to kick out starts with Swann. It may or may not end there, but it starts there. As soon as I saw his name on the poll, I stopped reading further down, since he's the most overrated player in NFL history - and he's running for governor of PA. Ugh.

From this list, Lynn Swann, Donovan Mcnabb and Bo Jackson are the only players that will NOT go down in history to be amongst the best at their position. So I would be begin to drill down from there.
You begin the exercise of deciding who is the most overrated by eliminating all those rated the highest? Seems illogical.The question isn't which of these players is the worst. It's which one is the worst relative to how good the average guy thinks he was or is.

I go with Barry. Led the universe in carries for losses every year, and always got caught from behind on his longer runs. Was a non-contributer at the goalline. And had the leadership skills and personality of a turnip. A highlight reel champion who cost his team a lot more than he gave them. His real-life value was way behind every RB who ever lowered his nose and plowed ahead reliably for 4 yards every play. The running game is about grinding out first downs, avoiding negative situations, and managing the clock. Barry didn't excel at any of the three. Most exciting guy ever to have no real value to his football team's chances for victory.

If you change his place in time, team, and history with Jerome Bettis, Jerome's stats would suffer and Barry's would go through the roof. But the Lions would have won more games, and the Steelers less of them. If you can't contribute either 4 yards and a cloud of dust or 80 reliable dump-off receptions a year, you're not doing what a RB needs to do to help his team succeed, and any credit you get is overrating you.

If I'm looking at bad selections to Canton, the list of guys to kick out starts with Swann. It may or may not end there, but it starts there. As soon as I saw his name on the poll, I stopped reading further down, since he's the most overrated player in NFL history - and he's running for governor of PA. Ugh.
I don't think Swann was overrated, because those Pitt teams he played on were loaded. Swann didn't have to go for 125/2 every week. He had Stallworth on the other side, great RBs, and countless other weapons on that team. Swann was clutch in big games, and he was a great receiver. I do believe that if Lynn Swann played on a bad team his stats would double.

I agree that Emmitt Smith is much more overrated than Barry Sanders is. Emmitt ran behind one of the best o-lines in nfl history and how many years did it take him to get that rushing title. Barry Sanders was a great runner behind a horrible o-line. That would account for alot of the tackles for losses. But look at the long runs that he still got. He could have been the NFL rushing leader if he were a stats monger like Emmit was. He simply did not want to keep taking the beating he was getting on a team that wasn't going anywhere. Look at the lions game films and see the beating Barry took game in and game out. He still came to play and put up some amazing numbers. I mean because he did win any titles in Detroit doesn't mean anything. Dan Marino was a great Qb and how many titles did he win???

I am no big Emmitt fan but I don't see how you EVER call a player overrated who goes down as the all time rushing and TD leader. EVER.

again no one who voted for mcnabb has the balls to speak up...
I thought this was a poll. :wall: I'll give you this - McNabb is the best QB ever at throwing 5yd dumps to his RBs. A great QB makes his WRs better; see D. Marino.
I guess we can agree to disagree here. McNabb put up amazing numbers with a quality WR. Also, I feel its a QB's job to do whatever they can to win games. McNabb singlehandedly led that team to the playoffs from 2000-2003. Thirdly, who says McNabb's overrated? From what Ive seen he gets the most criticism for being a black QB than anyone...

If I'm looking at bad selections to Canton, the list of guys to kick out starts with Swann. It may or may not end there, but it starts there. As soon as I saw his name on the poll, I stopped reading further down, since he's the most overrated player in NFL history - and he's running for governor of PA. Ugh.
I don't think Swann was overrated, because those Pitt teams he played on were loaded. Swann didn't have to go for 125/2 every week. He had Stallworth on the other side, great RBs, and countless other weapons on that team. Swann was clutch in big games, and he was a great receiver. I do believe that if Lynn Swann played on a bad team his stats would double.
:goodposting: Absolutely agree.

I know MANY will jump down my throat for this, but I go w/ Emmit. I respect the hell out of him for the way he played through so many injuries, but other backs during Emmits era alone -forget all time- could have put up superstar #s behind what I believe was the best 0-line ever assembled.

What, no Prime Time on this list? How is a defensive player that refuses to tackle not overhyped? Great cover corner... absolutley. Great kick returner... of course. Weakest little defender I've ever seen... without a doubt. I'd run the ball 40 times a game to his side while my big-stud WR was run blocking through him to the safety.
:goodposting: wow somebody else gets it (on both counts) - amazing. Very well said on all points.PS putting Swann on here makes no sense since most people here probably never saw him play - and LMAO @ him the lead vote-getter, although I guess hardly surprising on a "stats are everything" FF msg board. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread