What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who would you rather have for next year... (1 Viewer)

Who do YOU like?

• Alexander

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portis

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Franknbeans

Footballguy
:football:

pertinent rushing stats

SA (averaged over the last 5 years)

carries 331

yards 1501

ypc 4.5

TDs 17.4

CP (averaged over the last 4 years)

carries 315

yards 1483

ypc 4.7

TDs 11.3

Some other things to consider, Shaun is no longer a free agent meaning he's got a few more years behind that great offensive line.

Washington heavily over the salary cap meaning some good players may be cut. Washington also has a new offensive coordinator in Al Saunders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next year? Alexander. Beyond? Portis. He's four years younger.

If the question is reworded to who would you rather have in a dynasty league, it's Portis without a doubt.

If the question is reworded to who would you rather have in a dynasty league, it's Portis without a doubt.
Actually it is for no league in particular but I found it interesting given the results of one poll on this site that had Portis with a better skill set than Alexander

Actually it is for no league in particular but I found it interesting given the results of one poll on this site that had Portis with a better skill set than Alexander
I don't think that many people would disagree that Portis has a better skill set than SA. I think Portis would put up similar numbers behind that offense line in Seattle. With that being said, SA ran harder last season than I have ever seen him run. He definitely ran with more tenacity (contract) than I ever remeber out of him. Portis also ran with more of a power game that was impressive. POWER: tie

BREAKAWAY SPEED: tie

HANDS: Portis

BLOCKING: Portis

AGILITY: Portis

VISION: SA (marginally)

This is a quick post with not much thought behind it, gotta go to work.

I think going back 5 years is not the best timeframe for evaluating these two for next year. Portis had much better numbers (for him) in Denver, while Alexander's best seasons have been more recent. Going back only 2 seasons (when Portis switched to Denver) . . .

Alexander

1788/124/24 = 335 fantasy points

Portis

1415/225/9 = 218 fantasy points

I don't see Alexander going anywhere, and IMO Alexander is FAR more valuable next year in Seattle than Portis is in Washington.

I think going back 5 years is not the best timeframe for evaluating these two for next year. Portis had much better numbers (for him) in Denver, while Alexander's best seasons have been more recent. Going back only 2 seasons (when Portis switched to Denver) . . .

Alexander

1788/124/24 = 335 fantasy points

Portis

1415/225/9 = 218 fantasy points

I don't see Alexander going anywhere, and IMO Alexander is FAR more valuable next year in Seattle than Portis is in Washington.
True but one of the arguments against Shaun is due to his age, which to me isn't as much of a factor as his usage (ie. number of carries and potentially hits taken). We all know that he doesn't seem to take the hits even as much as a guy like Portis but it can certainly be argued that given that he stays in Seattle, Alexander could continue his monster numbers at least for one more season.

Fantasy wise it is SA all day.... in real football it is close , would give the edge slightly to Alexander for being a little more durable... Portis is starting to shake the label of injury-prone but lets see if he can survive another year under Gibbs.

:football:

pertinent rushing stats

SA (averaged over the last 5 years)

carries 331

yards 1501

ypc 4.5

TDs 17.4

CP (averaged over the last 4 years)

carries 315

yards 1483

ypc 4.7

TDs 11.3

Some other things to consider, Shaun is likely a free agent meaning he's done in Seattle. Where he lands will obviously have an impact on his production.

Washington heavily over the salary cap meaning some good players may be cut. Washington also has a new offensive coordinator in Al Saunders.
Dynasty or redraft I think the answer is clearly SA is he is still in Seattle. I mean how many years do you really want to project out? I can't see doing more than 3 on any RB. I would win with SA for 2 years and then trade him with some value before I draft Portis.

Next year?  Alexander.  Beyond?  Portis. He's four years younger.

I don't think that many people would disagree that Portis has a better skill set than SA. I think Portis would put up similar numbers behind that offense line in Seattle. With that being said, SA ran harder last season than I have ever seen him run. He definitely ran with more tenacity (contract) than I ever remeber out of him. Portis also ran with more of a power game that was impressive. POWER: tie

Power: Portis :excited: :no:

Power: Portis :excited: :no:
You didn't watch a lot of 'Skins games last year, did you?

:goodposting: 'RAN HARDER' = played for mega contract..he's asking for a HUGE contract that is going to set a record, if he has his way with it..

once he signs, you'll see him turn into another Yancey Thigpen or Antonio Freeman type of player, i.e., show up, do the work, get paid but show little interest in team or winning...its all about the big payday for SA.

Portis is going to be lethal with Al Saunders coaching in washington!

I don't think that many people would disagree that Portis has a better skill set than SA. I think Portis would put up similar numbers behind that offense line in Seattle. With that being said, SA ran harder last season than I have ever seen him run. He definitely ran with more tenacity (contract) than I ever remeber out of him. Portis also ran with more of a power game that was impressive. POWER: tie SA has the power

BREAKAWAY SPEED: tie Portis has the speed edge

HANDS: Portis Agreed

BLOCKING: Portis ?

AGILITY: Portis Agreed

VISION: SA (marginally) SA

Corrected with thought :bye:

Using last year's numbers as a baseline, I can't help but note that the 'Skins have done a lot to upgrade their offense from last year, while the 'hawks have lost their best run blocker.

I like Burleson, but if I'm the 'hawks I'd take Hutch over him in a heartbeat, so I view that as a net loss. I'm not sure that in the short term Burleson is even as good as Jurevicious.

SA should still be a TD machine - even if he reverts to his pre-'05 numbers, he'll still get TD's in the mid-teens which is excellent. We haven't seen Portis do that yet for the 'Skins, although I think his numbers will improve.

After we know about:

--Hutch leaving (bad for SA)

--SA Signing (could be good or bad)

--WASH signing many (good for SA)

--Off Coord. from Chiefs to WASH

--SEA much easier sched than WASH

where do we stand on the issue?

Users who are viewing this thread