What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whoever signs Aaron Judge (1 Viewer)

Mr. Mojo

Footballguy
Will have wasted serious $$$.
The 30 year old (who turns 31 next April), oft injured player just put up an amazing career year and will be lucky to ever get close to those numbers again. Sure, he will have some good years, but they will be mixed with the bad ones (like Pujols' contract with the Angels).
A long term investment in him at his age will be foolhardy to say the least.
I hope he stays with the Yankees.

Last edited:
Will have wasted serious $$$.
The 30 year old (who turns 31 next April), oft injured player just put up an amazing career year and will be lucky to ever get close to those numbers again. Sure, we will have some good years, but they will be mixed with the bad ones (like Pujols' contract with the Angles).
A long term investment in him at his age will be foolhardy to say the least.
I hope he stays with the Yankees.

Most of the long-term deals over 30 years old don`t work out well.

Miguel Cabrera has not had a good season in 5-6 years and still has a year left on his 30 million a year deal. Cabrera is in horrible shape and has never taken care of his body the way Judge has.

With the DH Judge can probably perform at a high level for 4-5 more seasons before a drop off.

I'm like Eephus, not my money. Rangers are like 10-1 odds, sixth best. Would love to add him to the lineup. 8 year deal, hopefully 5 in the OF, 3 as DH.

Really curious what happens to Cashman if he loses Judge, especially not for an absurd amount. It might finally get him to move on.

That said, I expect the Yankees to be in the $325-350M for 8 years range and likely retain Judge. Yes, i think it’s overpayment, but he’s also the face of your franchise. If they’re smart, they recoup as much of that in marketing in the first four years of that deal.

The list of 10 year+ mega contracts that have actually worked out for the team is pretty tiny isn't it?

It’s really hard to calculate what is or isn’t a good investment IMO. Everybody knows that giving a bunch of money to 30 year olds is a bad investment. What’s less clear is what else you should do with that money. It’s not simple to just to pay 150M for someone else’s 20 year old stud with 7 years of control.

Smaller contracts to vets add up fast and offer very little WAR.

I guess my point is if you’ve spent 100m retaining your core in their prime and want to spend 200m making it a WS contender, all of the options to try to accomplish that are bad (including just pocketing it).

It’s really hard to calculate what is or isn’t a good investment IMO. Everybody knows that giving a bunch of money to 30 year olds is a bad investment. What’s less clear is what else you should do with that money. It’s not simple to just to pay 150M for someone else’s 20 year old stud with 7 years of control.

Smaller contracts to vets add up fast and offer very little WAR.

I guess my point is if you’ve spent 100m retaining your core in their prime and want to spend 200m making it a WS contender, all of the options to try to accomplish that are bad (including just pocketing it).

Yeah, I mean teams are probably basically determining what the likely total value they can get out of the player over a given period of time and then averaging out those dollars over the life of the contract. So Judge might be worth 25 WAR over the next 3 years, which is worth like $200-$225 million. In some ways it would be great to balloon the upfront payment, but it's also probably not financially feasible, so this is the best compromise.

As long as there's no real cap I don't see the problem. This isn't the NFL, teams can spend as much as they are willing to pay. Would they have a better record without him?

As long as there's no real cap I don't see the problem. This isn't the NFL, teams can spend as much as they are willing to pay. Would they have a better record without him?
I know you are a Tigers homer, so what has it been like to watch Cabrera these past few seasons?
Judge is in better shape than miggy was. And I would have had no problem buying out his last few seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread