What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do people hate Peyton Manning? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumbup: to Terry Bradshaw calling out Peyton for his comment on his 'breakdown of protection today' he said Peyton your 3-6 in playoffs, be a better teammate and don't call out your O line

find out why people hate Alex Rodriguez and you'll have your answer.
Nothing surprising about the hate (dislike if you will) of Manning when this is common with the greats in every sport. ARod, check. Jordan, check. Heck, I'm sure there were even people that disliked Gretzky. I can't stand Eli because of his spoiled brat attitude, but Peyton has been nothing but a standup guy. All Peyton needs is a power RB so that the offense doesn't need to rely on the pass. Edge is a great player, but with a power running like the Steelers he wouldn't be considered a choker.

:thumbup: to Terry Bradshaw calling out Peyton for his comment on his 'breakdown of protection today' he said Peyton your 3-6 in playoffs, be a better teammate and don't call out your O line
Saw that, too. Never seen Bradshaw actually say anything relevant. First time, and good for him.

Peyton just called out his linemen.
I just caught that too. Instead of saying we lost as a team--he blames "protection problems" as the reason for the loss.Also to clarify, as one earlier poster said, Manning didn't call off the punt team. Dungy said after the game that they were going for it anyway, but the call hadn't came in to Manning yet, so that was blown out of proportion by the announcers.

I personally have no problem with him, but I think alot of people dislike him because they think of him as the "rich white kid who got by on him family name."

What I would like to see from him is some heart. I mean I have lived in Colorado all my life and when Elway took the field, he left everything out there. He would take off and run the ball and do what needed to be done--regardless of the consequences. He was tough and a winner.

That is something you just don't see from Manning is that toughness--that old-school, "I am going to take this team on my shoulders and win this thing," attitude.

Nothing surprising about the hate (dislike if you will) of Manning when this is common with the greats in every sport. ARod, check. Jordan, check. Heck, I'm sure there were even people that disliked Gretzky. I can't stand Eli because of his spoiled brat attitude, but Peyton has been nothing but a standup guy. All Peyton needs is a power RB so that the offense doesn't need to rely on the pass. Edge is a great player, but with a power running like the Steelers he wouldn't be considered a choker.
Please do not compare the greatest players who ever played their respective sports (Jordan, Gretzky) to a guy who was not even the best QB in the league this season.Tell me the line about Edge is :fishing:

Please.

hes considered a chocker because he loses the big games.

This has to be a candidate for worst post of all time.

In case someone needed another reason, he just said this in his press conference:

"I'm trying to be a good teammate here, but let's just say we had some problems with the protection"
Yep, we found another reason to "hate" the punk right here. If Owens said something like this, I'm sure most here would consider it the end of the world. That isn't said to defend Owens -- it's to compare something that sounds like it came out of his mouth to Manning's reputation.

I hate his constant barking at the line.

It disrupts the flow of the game. Hurry up and run to the line and wait so that Manning can bark fake signals for 20 seconds and hope to catch the D offside if they try and substitute.

And, I'm not sure this doesn't hurt his team as much as help them. It is not easy for the linemen to hold their stance for 20 seconds as opposed to with most other teams where it is about 5 seconds.

It definitely does make him the focal point of the game more than any other QB in the NFL. I don't believe he is trying to do that, but, it is definitely implied.

I also agree that I do think it is a little underhanded with the hiking to catch the D offside if they want to sub. I understand it is to their advantage and all other 31 teams could do it if they wanted to, I just don't care for it. And 31 other teams feel like taking their time, huddling and making sure they have everyone on the same page is more important than what Manning/the Colts do.
ditto

In case someone needed another reason, he just said this in his press conference:

"I'm trying to be a good teammate here, but let's just say we had some problems with the protection"
Yep, we found another reason to "hate" the punk right here. If Owens said something like this, I'm sure most here would consider it the end of the world. That isn't said to defend Owens -- it's to compare something that sounds like it came out of his mouth to Manning's reputation.
TO plays big in big games , Peyton does not :football:

I'm a Jaguars fan and I don't hate Manning. I love it when the colts lose. It makes me happy that they are one and done again in the play offs. I relish the idea of the salary cap catching up to the colts and their window closing without even a trip to the Super Bowl, much less a win. But I don't hate Manning.In fact I like a lot of the players on the colts and Dungy is as classy a coach as you'll ever find. Polian on the other hand ... well I don't want to hijack this thread into a reasons to hate Polian thread, but I have lots of those. But, I don't hate Jughead the rich boy choke artist. It's fine with me if he continually gets shoved down my throat as the greatest QB ever in spite of the fact that he hasn't won a big game since high school. I really don't hate him. But I do love it when he loses.

Kevin,

Honestly, I think a lot of people like to see good, talented people fail because it makes them feel better about their own underwhelming or miserable lives. Manning is one of THE best in the NFL from a number of different perspectives. However, if he had six Super Bowl titles under his belt, 6,000 passing yards/year and 50 TDs/year, people would hate him even MORE.

Seeing someone like Manning fail somehow makes people think that their own "pedestrian" lives don't completely suck as much as they might have thought.....

Misery loves company. :no:
:goodposting: It's part of reality. It's an interesting phenomena. Jeff Gordon in Nascar get's the same thing from the toothless Dale Earnhardt fans (which is no small demographic)

J

Thers another thread just created to talk about the comment just said.....I would rather this stick to Manning in general

Thanks!
What if that is part of why people hate Peyton Manning?And of course, btw, I don't hate Peyton Manning. I do think he's a bit overrated, and I do hate the media fawning over the guy. Clearly a great QB, but I think his performances in the playoffs leave something to be desired, particularly if you want to put him in the same league as Montana, Young, Bradshaw, Brady, etc.
Talking about pass protection was definitely :thumbdown: But saying that is part of why people hate Manning is saying the Tiki Barber comment about being outcoached is part of why people hate Tiki Barber. Both Barber's and Manning's comments were not the norm for them.

J

Kevin,

Honestly, I think a lot of people like to see good, talented people fail because it makes them feel better about their own underwhelming or miserable lives.  Manning is one of THE best in the NFL from a number of different perspectives.  However, if he had six Super Bowl titles under his belt, 6,000 passing yards/year and 50 TDs/year, people would hate him even MORE.

Seeing someone like Manning fail somehow makes people think that their own "pedestrian" lives don't completely suck as much as they might have thought..... 

Misery loves company.  :no:
:goodposting: It's part of reality. It's an interesting phenomena. Jeff Gordon in Nascar get's the same thing from the toothless Dale Earnhardt fans (which is no small demographic)

J
I don't think this is the case at all. If it was simply hating success why do so many people like and admire Tom Brady? Could it possibly be that many people don't like the way Peyton carries himself? No it couldn't be that.

:goodposting:

It's part of reality. It's an interesting phenomena. Jeff Gordon in Nascar get's the same thing from the toothless Dale Earnhardt fans (which is no small demographic)

J
I can only conclude that the attack on Dale Earnhardt fans and their dental health makes you a Jeff Gordon fan, and I can certify that there is a healthy back and forth between the two fanbases.I am a member of neither (Jeff Burton fan here), but I have one parent in each camp.

I'm not a Colt fan or UT fan but how can you "hate" him. I myself have a man crush on Peyton. If it wern't for the sex thing, I'd love to be his life partner. But that's just me.

I don't think this is the case at all. If it was simply hating success why do so many people like and admire Tom Brady? Could it possibly be that many people don't like the way Peyton carries himself? No it couldn't be that.
That's a very nice point. I don't like either of them, but I have a lot more respect for Tom Brady (who did choke last night) even though I bitterly hate the Patriots -- that's part of my duty as a Dolphins fan to hate the other teams in the division.

Sooner or later Manning is going to have to pickup his team and win a playoff game on his own merit. Until he does, he is a mediocre QB. I don't care how many TDs he throws in the regular season, he is mediocre. He had EVERY break a QB could ask for in this game and still couldn't even TIE the Steelers... pitiful.

:goodposting:

It's part of reality.  It's an interesting  phenomena. Jeff Gordon in Nascar get's the same thing from the toothless Dale Earnhardt fans (which is no small demographic) 

J
I can only conclude that the attack on Dale Earnhardt fans and their dental health makes you a Jeff Gordon fan, and I can certify that there is a healthy back and forth between the two fanbases.I am a member of neither (Jeff Burton fan here), but I have one parent in each camp.
Sorry Jimmy,Not a fan of any Nascar guy. Just an observation as I find it interesting.

J

Sorry Jimmy,

Not a fan of any Nascar guy. Just an observation as I find it interesting.

J
You really should take my word for it that it's not as simple as you believe. As a neutral party, it's a hell of a lot of fun at races watching the two groups snipe at each other.

Sorry Jimmy,

J
You really should take my word for it that it's not as simple as you believe. As a neutral party, it's a hell of a lot of fun at races watching the two groups snipe at each other.
Hi Jimmy,Take your word for what? You made a "conclusion" that I was a Gordon fan that was wrong.

What are you saying that I should take your word for? Who knows, you might be right. But what are you saying?

J

Sorry Jimmy,

J
Hi Jimmy,Take your word for what? You made a "conclusion" that I was a Gordon fan that was wrong.

What are you saying that I should take your word for? Who knows, you might be right. But what are you saying?

J
Sorry, Joe. I didn't say enough. You should take my word for the fact that the situation is really quite dynamic, with both contingents minimizing the successes of the other. In fact, the two groups have even brought Tony Stewart into it. The Junior fans embrace him and his excellence, and the Gordon fans boo him as harshly as they do Junior.I only concluded that you were a Gordon fan because your comment was classic Gordon fan. Gordon fans tend to hold themselves as slightly above NASCAR, like they're slumming just a bit while Earnhardt fans tend to hold themselves as traditionalists who really wish the non-Southerners would go away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's something to the 'way he carries himself' comment. Comparing and contrasting Manning/Brady..Manning appears so much more the technician than a love of the game type guyManning has all the pedigree, Brady the come from the 6th rd of the draft success story thingManning seems cold to me, while Brady comes off as more cool and confident.I think Manning rides alone in his own car while Brady rides with the guys on the bus.I could be totally wrong, but there's just something in Manning's bearing that makes you respect his tremendous skill but never warm up to him.His tv commercials have been the most enjoyable thing about him as far as that goes.

I think there's something to the 'way he carries himself' comment. Comparing and contrasting Manning/Brady..

Manning appears so much more the technician than a love of the game type guy

Manning has all the pedigree, Brady the come from the 6th rd of the draft success story thing

Manning seems cold to me, while Brady comes off as more cool and confident.

I think Manning rides alone in his own car while Brady rides with the guys on the bus.

I could be totally wrong, but there's just something in Manning's bearing that makes you respect his tremendous skill but never warm up to him.

His tv commercials have been the most enjoyable thing about him as far as that goes.
I guess not everyone can be a pretty boy underdog. :shrug:

I think there's something to the 'way he carries himself' comment. Comparing and contrasting Manning/Brady..

Manning appears so much more the technician than a love of the game type guy

Manning has all the pedigree, Brady the come from the 6th rd of the draft success story thing

Manning seems cold to me, while Brady comes off as more cool and confident.

I think Manning rides alone in his own car while Brady rides with the guys on the bus.

I could be totally wrong, but there's just something in Manning's bearing that makes you respect his tremendous skill but never warm up to him.

His tv commercials have been the most enjoyable thing about him as far as that goes.
I guess not everyone can be a pretty boy underdog. :shrug:
Or a leader who stands behind his team and stands accountable for their wins and losses.

He never shows up in the big games. He'll be just like Marino: he'll put up HOF stats, but he'll never win the big one.

he is a mediocre QB.  I don't care how many TDs he throws in the regular season, he is mediocre. 
This is an example of someone that may have needed protective headgear.
Maybe. I am not saying he is mediocre because his team lost -- I am saying it because he continually fails to show up in the playoffs. He is as much to blame for the Colts losing as anyone on the team, probably more so.

What good is having great numbers in the regular season when you suck in the playoffs??? Not just this year -- but EVERY year.

He'll be just like Marino: he'll put up HOF stats, but he'll never win the big one.
I think this may be true, but he will have done so with the running game and defense Marino mostly lacked. A Marino in his prime puts several of these Colts teams in the Super Bowl.

he is a mediocre QB.  I don't care how many TDs he throws in the regular season, he is mediocre. 
Maybe. I am not saying he is mediocre because his team lost -- I am saying it because he continually fails to show up in the playoffs. He is as much to blame for the Colts losing as anyone on the team, probably more so.

What good is having great numbers in the regular season when you suck in the playoffs??? Not just this year -- but EVERY year.
Sorry...the headgear would have been useless for you.

Terrell Davis just had a great analysis on NFL Network about why Manning struggles in the post-season.He said great postseason QBs have the mobility to make things happen outside the pocket. It's necessary in the postseason because the game is much more physical and demanding, and QBs basically need to take their game to a different level to compete with playoff speed.He commented that Manning is a tremendous passer as long as he can sit in the pocket and scan the field, but he really doesn't have the extra level. When things break down, he doesn't have the ability to make things happen with his legs, or even to buy much time to let his receivers get open. That was clearly evident today, and that's why he folds under playoff pressure each year.I thought it was a pretty insightful analysis.

OK. Manning is awesome, he is the greatest QB ever to play in the regular season.

Terrell Davis just had a great analysis on NFL Network about why Manning struggles in the post-season.

He said great postseason QBs have the mobility to make things happen outside the pocket.  It's necessary in the postseason because the game is much more physical and demanding, and QBs basically need to take their game to a different level to compete with playoff speed.

He commented that Manning is a tremendous passer as long as he can sit in the pocket and scan the field, but he really doesn't have the extra level.  When things break down, he doesn't have the ability to make things happen with his legs, or even to buy much time to let his receivers get open.  That was clearly evident today, and that's why he folds under playoff pressure each year.

I thought it was a pretty insightful analysis.
Did Mr. Davis explain what happens when the offensive line doesn't block and the QB has very little time to throw the ball?

I hate Peyton Manning. I freely admit to hating Peyton Manning. There are people in life you just do not like and I do not like Peyton Manning. Is it irrational? Maybe..... I've never met the guy so I do not know what he is really like but I don't like him.

I don't hate the guy, but do find it funny how he and his entire family are chokers. It's the media's lovefest for them that bothers most people. They haven't won anything at all and the tv guys have annointed them as the first family of football. Archie never won anything and Peyton proved today that he will never do it either. Then he goes out and blames his line -- that is loser talk. At least he can focus on his commericals now.

OK. Manning is awesome, he is the greatest QB ever to play in the regular season.
Explain to everyone how the loss today was Mannings fault? I'd like to know how Manning played at DB today or how well he blocked on the offensive line.TIA

manning is #2 to vick as overrated QB, when it counts he sucks he look scared and hurried throws in that first half constantly, it seemed he was afraid of the rush and then blames his linemen

There's a difference between hating a player and thinking he's overrated.
My feelings exactly!!!! I don't think I'm a hater for believing Manning is overrated. Yes, he is a good QB but he has always failed in the big game (ala Karla Malone in basketball). Yes, I know football is a team sport, but Manning's numbers have not been on-par in the big (playoff) losses. It would be a different story if he put up his usual numbers in the playoff losses...but he has always played below par. How can anyone not say his decisions on the last drive were poor?

Terrell Davis just had a great analysis on NFL Network about why Manning struggles in the post-season.

He said great postseason QBs have the mobility to make things happen outside the pocket.  It's necessary in the postseason because the game is much more physical and demanding, and QBs basically need to take their game to a different level to compete with playoff speed.

He commented that Manning is a tremendous passer as long as he can sit in the pocket and scan the field, but he really doesn't have the extra level.  When things break down, he doesn't have the ability to make things happen with his legs, or even to buy much time to let his receivers get open.  That was clearly evident today, and that's why he folds under playoff pressure each year.

Did Mr. Davis explain what happens when the offensive line doesn't block and the QB has very little time to throw the ball?
Yes, you do a 3-step drop and hit a receiver on a quick-out. Or you roll-out and throw if you have a receiver open or run for a first down. Or you let the pass rush in and throw a screen. Or you call a draw.

It happens to all QBs at some point or another. Some have the ability to make plays with their legs, and others don't. His point was that the ability to buy time with his legs is even more important in the playoffs. Manning is a great pocket passer, but if there's no pocket, he doesn't have anything else to fall back on.

Explain to everyone how the loss today was Mannings fault? I'd like to know how Manning played at DB today or how well he blocked on the offensive line.TIA
Did you watch the 1st half? Manning couldn't have hit the side of a barn.

It happens to all QBs at some point or another. Some have the ability to make plays with their legs, and others don't. His point was that the ability to buy time with his legs is even more important in the playoffs. Manning is a great pocket passer, but if there's no pocket, he doesn't have anything else to fall back on.
Under this theory the Colts will never win another game. Teams should just rush 11 guys and get it over with. Many have tried to pressure Manning into mistakes and most times, he eats them up. Pittsburgh's D brought it today and the Colts did not play well. Why does everyone have to treat a broken ankle like it's cancer?

Did you watch the 1st half? Manning couldn't have hit the side of a barn.
Did you watch the 1st half? Manning had someone in his face because the offensive line was terrible and Pitt had a great gameplan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread