What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do people hate Peyton Manning? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
he is a mediocre QB.  I don't care how many TDs he throws in the regular season, he is mediocre. 
This is an example of someone that may have needed protective headgear.
Maybe. I am not saying he is mediocre because his team lost -- I am saying it because he continually fails to show up in the playoffs. He is as much to blame for the Colts losing as anyone on the team, probably more so.

What good is having great numbers in the regular season when you suck in the playoffs??? Not just this year -- but EVERY year.
Sorry...the headgear would have been useless for you.
OK. Manning is awesome, he is the greatest QB ever to play in the regular season.
Explain to everyone how the loss today was Mannings fault? I'd like to know how Manning played at DB today or how well he blocked on the offensive line.TIA
My take on it is this. Although football is a team sport... the media, the announcers and the fans often anoint single players who become the face of success for a particular team. Like it or not, Payton Manning has become the face of success for the Colts. When they do well..... he is given an unfair amount of attention. To that, for most people the door swings both ways. If you are the face of success.... you are going to be the face of failure. Manning gets too much credit for the ability of his WR's.... Edge.... the line and whoever else helps him be one of the best QB's in the NFL today. Therefore, Manning will get too much flak for a big loss. After this loss though.... I think that Manning fans have to take an objective look as to whether or not he is a QB who has the intangibles to lead his team in a big game.

Peyton Manning is a choke artist. Thats all there is to it. GREAT Qb's rise up and make plays. He is a choker and there is ZERO argument against that.

Peyton Manning is a choke artist. Thats all there is to it. GREAT Qb's rise up and make plays. He is a choker and there is ZERO argument against that.
He's won more playoff games than you have. There is one argument.

I think there's something to the 'way he carries himself' comment. Comparing and contrasting Manning/Brady..

Manning appears so much more the technician than a love of the game type guy

Manning has all the pedigree, Brady the come from the 6th rd of the draft success story thing

Manning seems cold to me, while Brady comes off as more cool and confident.

I think Manning rides alone in his own car while Brady rides with the guys on the bus.

I could be totally wrong, but there's just something in Manning's bearing that makes you respect his tremendous skill but never warm up to him.

His tv commercials have been the most enjoyable thing about him as far as that goes.
Hi SN,I understand what you're saying. My opinion from what I got to see from when he was in Tennessee is that his commercials are pretty much him. He's goofy like that.

I know for Tennessee fans, it's a lot more about the character than the wins. Obviously, he never won the Championship here or beat Florida. But people still love him. Tee Martin won the championship the year after Manning left and while he's a good guy, he's nothing compared to Manning here. Just FWIW it's my opinion from following him pretty close that all of the above are wrong but that's just my opinion. I understand how you might think that.

J

Peyton Manning is a choke artist.  Thats all there is to it.  GREAT Qb's rise up and make plays.  He is a choker and there is ZERO argument against that.
Good arguement. Am I a pro Qb? He cant win the big game. That's all there is to it. That was a stupid post.

So your argument is that Manning is a better QB than a message board poster?Solid.

So your argument is that Manning is a better QB than a message board poster?

Solid.
I'll go ahead and stipulate that Mike Vanderjagt is a better QB than I am, just so we can get that out of the way.

One reason people hate on Manning might be related to the free pass he gets from apologists. Many such apologistic posts are in this thread. Listen, sooner or later the fact that Manning performs poorly under pressure has to sink in.

He did it with the Vols. Posted great stats and then lost big games. And that team had a lot of players that still play on sundays. It's not like it was Manning against the world, there was a lot of talent on that roster. They won the national championship after he left.

Now in the NFL he continues to lose in the play offs. Last season he set the single season TD record and the colts put up 3 points against the Pats. The answer was always that the colts had no defense. Well this season their D wasn't bad. It wasn't great but it certainly should have been good enough to win with that Hall of Fame QB, Hall of Fame WR, Edge, Wayne, etc. How many times do the colts have to lose in the play offs before it's a pattern?

Yes Manning is an amazing QB in the regular season, one of the best I've ever seen. But sooner or later some of the apologist need to admit that he's not much better than average in the post season. I think QBs get too much blame for losses and too much credit for wins. But I also think it's fair to expect more from any player at any postion that gets a $39m signing bonus. He's suppose to be great in the big game for that money. He quite simply hasn't been.

I’ve read variations this thread the last 4 years. Each year in late December, or early January we have a majority saying that Peyton can't win the big one, then we have the Volunteer/Peyton nation claiming that it’s not poor little Peyton’s fault. It’s never his fault. All this criticism is unwarranted, for Peyton is the best.Well it is his fault! Leaders take responsibility in the bad times and leaders give credit to others in the good times. He is the leader of a team that underperforms in the playoffs; He was the leader of a team that underperformed in college championship and bowl games.Sure he is a great stat producer and can really produce against inferior competition, yet his dominant regular season teams sure fail big time in the postseason when the stakes are even. Peyton deserves to be called out for his uncanny ability to regress when the stakes are high. He is the freaking leader!Defend him all you want, but the fact is he freaks out when the pressure is at its highest.This league is about winning SB's.

Last edited by a moderator:
he is a mediocre QB.  I don't care how many TDs he throws in the regular season, he is mediocre. 
Maybe. I am not saying he is mediocre because his team lost -- I am saying it because he continually fails to show up in the playoffs. He is as much to blame for the Colts losing as anyone on the team, probably more so.

What good is having great numbers in the regular season when you suck in the playoffs??? Not just this year -- but EVERY year.
OK. Manning is awesome, he is the greatest QB ever to play in the regular season.
Explain to everyone how the loss today was Mannings fault? I'd like to know how Manning played at DB today or how well he blocked on the offensive line.TIA
Did you watch the 1st half? Manning couldn't have hit the side of a barn.
Did you watch the 1st half? Manning had someone in his face because the offensive line was terrible and Pitt had a great gameplan.
Manning's forte' is supposedly his ability to read a defense and make the correct call to defeat it. He seems to be great during the regular season but every year he has problems during the playoffs. Why do you think that is? Blame it on his o-line if it makes you feel better but it doesn't change the fact that his playoff numbers suck.

Peyton Manning is a choke artist.  Thats all there is to it.  GREAT Qb's rise up and make plays.  He is a choker and there is ZERO argument against that.
Good arguement. Am I a pro Qb? He cant win the big game. That's all there is to it. That was a stupid post.
No your argument is stupid. I'm not a Colts fan but Manning's stats and career winning percentage speak for themselves. You obviously cannot grasp conceptual sarcasm nor the NFL as a game. Peyton Manning is a "choke artist and there is zero argument against it" is ignorant as hell. But you've heard that before I'm sure.

No your argument is stupid. I'm not a Colts fan but Manning's stats and career winning percentage speak for themselves. You obviously cannot grasp conceptual sarcasm nor the NFL as a game. Peyton Manning is a "choke artist and there is zero argument against it" is ignorant as hell. But you've heard that before I'm sure.
Ok you win, Peyton Manning is a better Qb than I AM. Besides that he is a choke artist. he can't win the big game. You're telling me you can argue that? you are a moron.

Did you watch the 1st half? Manning had someone in his face because the offensive line was terrible and Pitt had a great gameplan.
Manning's forte' is supposedly his ability to read a defense and make the correct call to defeat it. He seems to be great during the regular season but every year he has problems during the playoffs. Why do you think that is? Blame it on his o-line if it makes you feel better but it doesn't change the fact that his playoff numbers suck.
I feel fine..it's the haters that I'm concerned about.

I had no idea there were this many people bent on Manning's downfall. It's sad really.

I think Manning rides alone in his own car while Brady rides with the guys on the bus.
:goodposting: CBS was showing footage yesterday of Brady going after his team on the sideline, asking them if they were "going to play football or just lay down".

In comparision, Manning sulks over to the sideline with his head down and sits with his coverage pictures like he is waiting at the doctor's office. He then follows that up by laying the blame on the group of guys that have protected him better than any other QB in the league this season.

Manning's inability to win a big game has nothing to do with a lack of talent around him.

It seems like there's a thread like this every year after the colts lose. And just like the past few year, the haters will be right for another year or so. But heck, Pey-me a-ton will only be 30 next season, he has time.

Ok you win, Peyton Manning is a better Qb than I AM. Besides that he is a choke artist. he can't win the big game. You're telling me you can argue that? you are a moron.
It's a team game. Seems to me he has won big games before like the divisional game last year. He definitly needs to win the Super Bowl to be considered an elite of the elite QB which I will argue, but the guy is one of the best QBs in NFL history. Marino, Ernie Banks, Barry Bonds, Karl Malone all lost big games. They were all great players playing a team game. They need to take more resonsibility than the rest of the team but they are not "choke artists."

By this logic though Manning is a bigger choke artist than you. You've never lost importnat NFL playoff games by your shoddy play and lack of leadership skills. Congratulations on being less of a choke artist than Peyton Manning.

I don't hate Manning at all, in fact I feel pretty confident in saying that he is a really good guy. But that doesn't change the fact that the guy does not play very well in the playoffs.

:goodposting: In comparision, Manning sulks over to the sideline with his head down and sits with his coverage pictures like he is waiting at the doctor's office. He then follows that up by laying the blame on the group of guys that have protected him better than any other QB in the league this season.

Manning's inability to win a big game has nothing to do with a lack of talent around him.
1. Did that line protect him today?2. Did Manning play defensive back today?

3. Did Manning miss that field goal?

4. How is the loss today the sole fault of Manning?

I think Peyton is probably a good guy, a great neighbor, has high character, etc...But I don't like him as a player one bit. The folksy aw shucks guy just doesn't appeal to me as a football player.I love seeing him lose. It must hurt.

It seems like there's a thread like this every year after the colts lose. And just like the past few year, the haters will be right for another year or so. But heck, Pey-me a-ton will only be 30 next season, he has time.
The problem is that the haters aren't right. Every year the Colts lose because teams like the Pats and Steelers beat them in the trenches, and every year the haters blame Manning.

It's a team game. Seems to me he has won big games before like the divisional game last year. He definitly needs to win the Super Bowl to be considered an elite of the elite QB which I will argue, but the guy is one of the best QBs in NFL history. Marino, Ernie Banks, Barry Bonds, Karl Malone all lost big games. They were all great players playing a team game. They need to take more resonsibility than the rest of the team but they are not "choke artists."

Peyton Manning can't win the big game. He CHOKES. is your real name Eli Manning? Come on man.

I think Peyton is probably a good guy, a great neighbor, has high character, etc...

But I don't like him as a player one bit.  The folksy aw shucks guy just doesn't appeal to me as a football player.

I love seeing him lose.  It must hurt.
That's interesting because many people here today state they don't like him because he is cocky.It is amazing to see people hate him because he is cocky yet hate him because he isn't.

You haters need to get back on the shortbus and compare notes.

By this logic though Manning is a bigger choke artist than you. You've never lost importnat NFL playoff games by your shoddy play and lack of leadership skills. Congratulations on being less of a choke artist than Peyton Manning.
what's the point of your post? all you guys trying to argue against Peyton manning being a choke artist is too funny. This is all you guys come up with. Yes peyton is a better Qb than i am, and I am less of a choke artist during the NFL playoffs. I don't get it. You guys are coming up with some weak arguements.

The problem is that the haters aren't right. Every year the Colts lose because teams like the Pats and Steelers beat them in the trenches, and every year the haters blame Manning.
The Steelers were a 6 seed who didn't even know they were going until after their game in week 17. 14-2 teams with home field advantage beat that team all the time. It's the closest thing to a gimme there is in the playoffs.

If I had my choice who I'd want as the quarterback of my team, I'd take Roethlisberger over Manning. I'm an Eagles fan, I'd probably take either of the above over McNabb, but anyways, my point is some guys have IT and some guys don't. Not sure exactly what IT is or how you get it, I definitely don't have IT myself, but I have seen IT a few times in my life. Michael Jordan had IT. Montana, Elway, Brady, they have IT. Derek Jeter has IT. Kirk Gibson, remember him??, he had IT. I think Roethlisberger just might have IT, but Peyton Manning sure doesn't

what's the point of your post? all you guys trying to argue against Peyton manning being a choke artist is too funny. This is all you guys come up with. Yes peyton is a better Qb than i am, and I am less of a choke artist during the NFL playoffs. I don't get it. You guys are coming up with some weak arguements.
I'm not arguing against Manning being a choke artist. I'm pointing out the absurdity of Doctor Detroit saying that Manning is a better QB than you.

I'm not arguing against Manning being a choke artist. I'm pointing out the absurdity of Doctor Detroit saying that Manning is a better QB than you.
Ok my bad, mis read your post.

If I had my choice who I'd want as the quarterback of my team, I'd take Roethlisberger over Manning. I'm an Eagles fan, I'd probably take either of the above over McNabb, but anyways, my point is some guys have IT and some guys don't. Not sure exactly what IT is or how you get it, I definitely don't have IT myself, but I have seen IT a few times in my life. Michael Jordan had IT. Montana, Elway, Brady, they have IT. Derek Jeter has IT. Kirk Gibson, remember him??, he had IT. I think Roethlisberger just might have IT, but Peyton Manning sure doesn't
IT is the ability to lead. Part of IT is confident body language, accountability, the ability to not get rattled in big spots. Leaders shoulder the blame and never trash their teammates.

This thread needs to go to the Smithsonian (Big museum in Washington D.C., our nation's capital for some of these posters).

If I had my choice who I'd want as the quarterback of my team, I'd take Roethlisberger over Manning.  I'm an Eagles fan, I'd probably take either of the above over McNabb, but anyways, my point is some guys have IT and some guys don't.  Not sure exactly what IT is or how you get it, I definitely don't have IT myself, but I have seen IT a few times in my life.  Michael Jordan had IT.  Montana, Elway, Brady, they have IT.  Derek Jeter has IT.  Kirk Gibson, remember him??, he had IT.  I think Roethlisberger just might have IT, but Peyton Manning sure doesn't
IT is the ability to lead. Part of IT is confident body language, accountability, the ability to not get rattled in big spots. Leaders shoulder the blame and never trash their teammates.
They never trash their teammates to the press. A Tom Brady (or Dan Marino) will take an errant player or unit to task on the sidelines, but it's all in the name of getting them to rise up. What Peyton did today was destructive, and those linemen have to think twice about sacrificing themselves for him if and when that comes up down the road.

This thread needs to go to the Smithsonian (Big museum in Washington D.C., our nation's capital for some of these posters).
you can't come up with something better than that? Weak

The Steelers were a 6 seed who didn't even know they were going until after their game in week 17. 14-2 teams with home field advantage beat that team all the time. It's the closest thing to a gimme there is in the playoffs.
:fishing: There's no point in discussing anything with someone who considers the Steelers a "gimme" just because they were a 6 seed.

If Roethlisberger plays against Baltimore, they win that game, the division, and they're a 3 seed. They also played their best football down the stretch, and were favored by most to beat the Bengals on the road.

The following things are also Peyton Manning's fault:War in IraqNational debtBeavers damming thingsKickers missing FGs no matter what the gameFat chicksThe McRib sandwichLions GM situationleaves in my yardGlobal WarmingNick Leshay

If I had my choice who I'd want as the quarterback of my team, I'd take Roethlisberger over Manning.  I'm an Eagles fan, I'd probably take either of the above over McNabb, but anyways, my point is some guys have IT and some guys don't.  Not sure exactly what IT is or how you get it, I definitely don't have IT myself, but I have seen IT a few times in my life.   Michael Jordan had IT.  Montana, Elway, Brady, they have IT.  Derek Jeter has IT.  Kirk Gibson, remember him??, he had IT.  I think Roethlisberger just might have IT, but Peyton Manning sure doesn't
They never trash their teammates to the press. A Tom Brady (or Dan Marino) will take an errant player or unit to task on the sidelines, but it's all in the name of getting them to rise up. What Peyton did today was destructive, and those linemen have to think twice about sacrificing themselves for him if and when that comes up down the road.
Remember in the movie 'Any Given Sunday', right before the game winning drive, what Coach D'Amato said to his quarterback Steamin' Willie Beamin on the sideline?He said, "When they look into your eyes, they have got to believe."

What I want to know is, in a big spot, in a playoff game, when everything is on the line, and the Colts are in the huddle, what do the other 10 Colts players see when they look into Peyton's eyes?? Do they believe? I don't think they do.

:fishing: There's no point in discussing anything with someone who considers the Steelers a "gimme" just because they were a 6 seed.

If Roethlisberger plays against Baltimore, they win that game, the division, and they're a 3 seed. They also played their best football down the stretch, and were favored by most to beat the Bengals on the road.
They were also a 9 point underdog today. A 9 point underdog winning in the playoffs is extremely rare.

:fishing:

There's no point in discussing anything with someone who considers the Steelers a "gimme" just because they were a 6 seed.

There is no fishing involved here. The fact of the matter is that Pittsburgh was the 6 seed and you have no way of knowing what would have come out differently if Ben hadn't been injured. Hyping up the Steelers because it helps some of you who feel the need to salve Peyton's bruised ego (and your own bruised egos) is indeed the fishing that is going on around here at this point. I didn't even have to bring up the fact (and it is a fact) that the Bengals play at least that KC game far differently if the Steelers had any shot at winning the division.

You make an excellent point about Manning having more freedom than most QB's to make adjustments at the LOS. He definitely has not risen to the occasion when necessary and today was a shining example. A good example today was when he had an oportunity to throw an easy TD to Edge, but he gunned the throw behind him and James made a tough catch but got stopped at the one, the drive resulted in an FG after Mungro's TD run was nullified by penalty. That play never should have occured. A better throw to James and its a score. Only getting three points in the first half killed the Colts today, and a lot of that can be attributable to Peyton's inability to direct the offense early on. While I wouldn't say his playoff numbers suck, his team's results have not been what they have needed to be. This year's loss was particularly glaring because the Colts had homefield throughout, which was supposed to favor their strengths as a team built to excel in a dome. They were ten point favorites and lost at home to the #6 seed after having two weeks to get ready, while their opponent had to win a tough road game the previous week. Also, the Colts finally had a defense and very strong running game, so its tough to say the team had an achilles heel this season.

Some guys, like Brady, have the ability to get it done on the biggest stage when the pressure is on, Manning has yet to prove that he can carry a team when it matters most. This fact will not change until he wins a title. Will he? :shrug:

:2cents:

The following things are also Peyton Manning's fault:

War in Iraq

National debt

Beavers damming things

Kickers missing FGs no matter what the game

Fat chicks

The McRib sandwich

Lions GM situation

leaves in my yard

Global Warming

Nick Leshay
none of these things are peyons fault, but the fact that he can't win a BIG GAME is his fault. is it 100% his fault? No, but GREAT Qbs step up and WIN a big game. Your posts are getting dumber and dumber.

War in Iraq

National debt

Beavers damming things

Fat chicks

The McRib sandwich

Lions GM situation

leaves in my yard

Global Warming

Nick Leshay
Nobody is saying that, but I am starting to wonder if some of you don't credit Peyton Manning for:The iPod

Digital Cameras

Sex

Organized Religion

Easy Women

Liquor

Electricity

The Game of Football Itself

By the way, it's Lachey, not Leshay. :goodposting: there. :rolleyes:

I replied to you earlier when you asked this and you didn't say anything. It's easier for you to just tell people they need protective headgear, I guess.

War in Iraq

National debt

Beavers damming things

Fat chicks

The McRib sandwich

Lions GM situation

leaves in my yard

Global Warming

Nick Leshay
none of these things are peyons fault, but the fact that he can't win a BIG GAME is his fault. is it 100% his fault? No, but GREAT Qbs step up and WIN a big game. Your posts are getting dumber and dumber.
You obviously have never had a McRibb. No doubt it's Peyton's fault. None.

:fishing:

There's no point in discussing anything with someone who considers the Steelers a "gimme" just because they were a 6 seed.

There is no fishing involved here. The fact of the matter is that Pittsburgh was the 6 seed and you have no way of knowing what would have come out differently if Ben hadn't been injured. Hyping up the Steelers because it helps some of you who feel the need to salve Peyton's bruised ego (and your own bruised egos) is indeed the fishing that is going on around here at this point. I didn't even have to bring up the fact (and it is a fact) that the Bengals play at least that KC game far differently if the Steelers had any shot at winning the division.
Actually, none of this had anything to do with my original point. I just thought it was pretty silly to knock a Pittsburgh team that most people knew was far more dangerous than their seeding would suggest.My original point was that the Steelers dominated the Colts in the trenches on both sides of the ball. If the Steelers weren't very good, maybe that means the Colts' linemen choked. Regardless, Manning made great throws when he had time, which was not very often.

War in Iraq

National debt

Beavers damming things

Fat chicks

The McRib sandwich

Lions GM situation

leaves in my yard

Global Warming

Nick Leshay
Nobody is saying that, but I am starting to wonder if some of you don't credit Peyton Manning for:The iPod

Digital Cameras

Sex

Organized Religion

Easy Women

Liquor

Electricity

The Game of Football Itself

By the way, it's Lachey, not Leshay. :goodposting: there. :rolleyes:
Organized religion is a good thing? You lost me. I'm also impressed you know how to spell Lachey. Big fan are you?

Some guys, like Brady, have the ability to get it done on the biggest stage when the pressure is on, Manning has yet to prove that he can carry a team when it matters most. This fact will not change until he wins a title. Will he? :shrug:

:2cents:
No one player, at any position, can carry a team in football. Period.

It's the closest thing to a gimme there is in the playoffs.
:lmao: at Pittsburgh being close to a gimme. I wonder if the Bengals knew that?... ;) J

Actually, none of this had anything to do with my original point. I just thought it was pretty silly to knock a Pittsburgh team that most people knew was far more dangerous than their seeding would suggest.
Who said I was knocking a Pittsburgh team at all? That's what I don't get about this message board. You act like being critical of a player means you're also being critical of the team that made that player look bad. It doesn't, and it shows just how clueless some of you are about the game.

I replied to you earlier when you asked this and you didn't say anything. It's easier for you to just tell people they need protective headgear, I guess.
Do you need a drool cup too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread