What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do players always have their best games against me? (1 Viewer)

DeaLerZ

Footballguy
Does anyone else have this experience?? I'll have a favored matchup, or even slightly favored matchup. Than game time hits and my opponent's team who looks mediocre on paper, or has underperformed so far goes 🚀🚀💥💥🔥🔥

Week 1- Mike Evans scores 2 tds and has his best game so far- I lose by 5 points
Week 2- James Cook scores 3 TDs... best game of his year so far- I definitely lose
Week 3- Rome Odunze who has literally done nothing in 3 of 4 games, but against me 6 rec 112 yards and a TD.
Week 3 - Amari Cooper same story. Done nothing in 3 out of 4 games, but against me in week 3 7 rec 86 yards a TD

Zach Moss, Jake Ferguson their best games of the year in week 3
Week 4 - Derrick Henry runs for 200 yards and 2 tds.

Playing against Drake London tonight. Immediately scores.... 12 rec 154 yds 1 TD *Best Fantasy Football Game of his career*

All of this happens while a player on my team gets injured every week... nothing about this hobby is fun anymore lol

It might be time to retire from fantasy football.. this has been happening for years now

Last edited:
There is a simple truth about fantasy football that nobody wants to admit, especially the industry at large: fantasy football is 80% luck/timing and only 20% skill/hard work.

The best fantasy football analysts/prognosticators are only “accurate” about 58% of the time. I would pay $$$ if someone set up a methodology to rate the “rankers” at year end every year to see who was the best. The numbers would shock you and we would all cancel some of our subscriptions…!

There is a simple truth about fantasy football that nobody wants to admit, especially the industry at large: fantasy football is 80% luck/timing and only 20% skill/hard work.

The best fantasy football analysts/prognosticators are only “accurate” about 58% of the time. I would pay $$$ if someone set up a methodology to rate the “rankers” at year end every year to see who was the best. The numbers would shock you and we would all cancel some of our subscriptions…!
FP does this but it’s common knowledge that analysts now have their accuracy contest rankings and then their actual rankings. That tells you everything you need to know about that methodology.

Does anyone else have this experience?? I'll have a favored matchup, or even slightly favored matchup. Than game time hits and my opponent's team who looks mediocre on paper, or has underperformed so far goes 🚀🚀💥💥🔥🔥

Week 1- Mike Evans scores 2 tds and has his best game so far- I lose by 5 points
Week 2- James Cook scores 3 TDs... best game of his year so far- I definitely lose
Week 3- Rome Odunze who has literally done nothing in 3 of 4 games, but against me 6 rec 112 yards and a TD.
Week 3 - Amari Cooper same story. Done nothing in 3 out of 4 games, but against me in week 3 7 rec 86 yards a TD

Playing against Drake London tonight. Immediately scores....

All of this happens while a player on my team gets injured every week... nothing about this hobby is fun anymore lol

It might be time to retire from fantasy football.. this has been happening for years now
it's in your head.

next.

Perspective issue is the critical factor. When your thought process includes an abundance of I, me, my, etc. you are not thinking rationally.

Its more like 95% luck and 5% skill and that may still be too high on the skill part. When you factor in injuries, performance, & schedule that luck factor is nearing 100%. Just too many things completely out of your control. Then when you add in the abundance of info available for everyone there is no more research that you can do to put you ahead of the dude in your league that prints a cheatsheet off 5 minutes before the draft and then just takes the highest guy listed on the weekly waiver list. It truly is a crapshoot now..............except in IDP. IDP still rewards those that can research and evaluate players.

The Fantasy Football Gods mocked me with my opponent last night starting Cousins and Evans (combined ~70 pts)
He is currently 3-1 and #9 in Total Points scoring YTD ... while I am 2-2 and #1 in Total Scoring ...

ETA: I am also #1 in Scored Points AGAINST....

Last edited:
The Fantasy Football Gods mocked me with my opponent last night starting Cousins and Evans (combined ~70 pts)
He is currently 3-1 and #9 in Total Points scoring YTD ... while I am 2-2 and #1 in Total Scoring ...
Sorry brother.

🪦
Its more like 95% luck and 5% skill and that may still be too high on the skill part. When you factor in injuries, performance, & schedule that luck factor is nearing 100%. Just too many things completely out of your control. Then when you add in the abundance of info available for everyone there is no more research that you can do to put you ahead of the dude in your league that prints a cheatsheet off 5 minutes before the draft and then just takes the highest guy listed on the weekly waiver list. It truly is a crapshoot now..............except in IDP. IDP still rewards those that can research and evaluate players.
đź’Ż

@ChiefD

Playing against Drake London tonight. Immediately scores.... 12 rec 154 yds 1 TD *Best Fantasy Football Game of his career*

I would cry with you if I didn't have my own things to worry about. :points to shirt:

Hopes that were high in the heat of September
Can wilt and die in the chill of November

November can be cold and gray
November can be surly

With bitter rain upon the world
And winter coming early

-John Facenda
NFL Films

I cannot make a determination unless you provide your starting lineups and bench players and your opponents starting lineups and bench players for each game.

My specialty is having some scrub on my bench go off. I’m also very good at having the most points scored against me. :ptts:

That being said, I picked up and started Kirk Thuggins yesterday. :pickle:

Gotta love this game!

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

My opponent has Mooney + Evans.
It happens. It is what it is.
I have come back from this scenario before.
I will look to insert higher upside players with good matchups.
This is where the FBG matchup articles come into play.

Good luck!

This is exactly why I like total points leagues, which is my main league. These weekly variances get weeded out, as it becomes a cumulative marathon.
Meh. I'm all for a healthy cut for total points for, but one of the best things about football and fantasy ff is the "Any given Sunday" aspect. Total points would be particularly terrible for dynasty. Total points best ball would be the ultimate snoozefest.

This is exactly why I like total points leagues, which is my main league. These weekly variances get weeded out, as it becomes a cumulative marathon.
Meh. I'm all for a healthy cut for total points for, but one of the best things about football and fantasy ff is the "Any given Sunday" aspect. Total points would be particularly terrible for dynasty. Total points best ball would be the ultimate snoozefest.
I get it - there's pros and cons to all scoring systems. We just like to reward the best team all season long not just a hot team at the end.

I get it - there's pros and cons to all scoring systems. We just like to reward the best team all season long not just a hot team at the end.

How many teams are even in contention come December? One bad week or bad luck w injuries/byes could totally destroy your season so much easier than H2H.

How many teams are even in contention come December? One bad week or bad luck w injuries/byes could totally destroy your season so much easier than H2H.
Yes, that's the downside of total points - teams fall out early and lose interest. But we're a deep keeper league (keep 8), so even when out of it, the sharper teams are always looking to improve their rosters for the future.

Then do away with playoffs. Have the champ be the guy with the best record for the entire season. That takes away a guy getting hot for a week or two in playoffs or the best team having one off week to get eliminated and you still get the H2H excitement of any given Sunday.

Then do away with playoffs. Have the champ be the guy with the best record for the entire season. That takes away a guy getting hot for a week or two in playoffs or the best team having one off week to get eliminated and you still get the H2H excitement of any given Sunday.
There's still a fair amount of randomness with best record when you only have 18 data points. I guess you could double that if you also play against the median.

There's still a fair amount of randomness with best record when you only have 18 data points. I guess you could double that if you also play against the median.
I know we disagree on this point regarding the randomness. I think it's a benefit of the enjoyment because it happens on both sides of the coin making every week "any given Sunday" opportunities. Anything that eliminates people from trying because they are out of it really hurts the enjoyment for me. There is no perfect answer. To each their own.

If you can't embrace the variance in FF, then you should retire.

But seriously, you should just reiterate this one fact......ANYONE, on your team or opponent's team.....can go off in any week. Hey, I played against Darnell Mooney in my main league and I went from a favorite to a dog. What are you going do? The range of outcomes in this game is almost endless.

BTW, Mike Evans, James Cook, Derrick Henry and Drake London are really good players that will have very good games during the year.

Same here. I've been contemplating retirement for a couple of years.

I don't even enjoy it when I'm winning, because I know I'll get screwed in the end.

Same here. I've been contemplating retirement for a couple of years.

I don't even enjoy it when I'm winning, because I know I'll get screwed in the end.
Yep, life is a whirling cesspool of despair, filled with moments of false hope, in an ever darkening universe.

Last edited:

Another perspective cause I am in the same boat. Week one played against Saquon and Lamar, week 2 against Achane, and last week agaisnt a multitude of players that outperformed their projections (nothing crazy but all of them had above average games).

However, in week three I was the one who played Jennings and took care of business. This week just started, but I have London who went off so hoping for the best. Point is, there will be weeks where the other guy has *that* player and then weeks where you have that player.

Also last year a guy in the league started 1-5, finished 7-7, and barely snuck into the playoffs. He ran the table and won it all. It ain’t over yet, hang in there!

Trust me when I say I have you notched on the bad beat scale (27 year old league, highest cumulative points, best WL record, highest season score, highest single game score, zero titles). And since you have it better than at least one person, it can’t be all bad for you. Have a cocktail and learn to laugh at the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread