What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why does everyone think Frank Gore will be amazing this year? (1 Viewer)

BigGreenMachine

Footballguy
This is still San Francisico right? They might be starting JT O'Sullivan at QB, right? They have an OC who can't hold a job in the NFL for any prolonged period of time these days, right?

Yet, all I hear is how great Frank Gore is going to be because Martz is there and look what he did for Faulk....I can't be the only one who thinks Gore is primed for a meltdown!

Opinions on Frankie Boy in 2008?

we have 5 of these threads going right now...

Gore is great and has top 3 talent. The SF offense will probably be better than 75% of this board feels.

I think Gore will be top 7 this year and has potential to do even better.

This is still San Francisico right? They might be starting JT O'Sullivan at QB, right? They have an OC who can't hold a job in the NFL for any prolonged period of time these days, right?Yet, all I hear is how great Frank Gore is going to be because Martz is there and look what he did for Faulk....I can't be the only one who thinks Gore is primed for a meltdown!Opinions on Frankie Boy in 2008?
I actually think it may be the other way around. Unless I'm mistaken I think more people are down on Gore than high on him. I like in late in the 1st round & that seems about where he is going.. I wouldn't take him at 5 or 6 but at 11 or 12 I would like it..

we have 5 of these threads going right now...Gore is great and has top 3 talent. The SF offense will probably be better than 75% of this board feels. I think Gore will be top 7 this year and has potential to do even better.
Can I get into a league with you?

Looked GREAT last night and Martz seemed very willing to run the ball. Gilbert O'Sullivan looked good. Things probably aren't as bleak in Frisco as most imagine...

Cause while Martz doesnt run 20 times a game, his RBs catch a lot of passes. 70-80 is not out of the realm of possibility which would add 600 or so yards to what he does get rushing. In a ppr league you're looking at 130-140 points on the receiving side alone before you even add in rushing yards and TDs.

we have 5 of these threads going right now...Gore is great and has top 3 talent. The SF offense will probably be better than 75% of this board feels. I think Gore will be top 7 this year and has potential to do even better.
:goodposting: You say Martz is no savior, but he doesn't have to be when it comes to Gore.I've said this before but I'll repeat. Last year the 49ers had the equivalent of a table lamp calling thier offensive plays and Gore was still good. Passing on him is a mistake.

As soon as Martz signed on as OC, I said Gore would be a monster this year, and I still think that. Even if his carries go down a touch (which is doubtful in itself), he will catch at least 70 balls, so he will be a yardage monster, and I would think he would still get at least 7-8 TDs. So, his ceiling for this year is pretty high.

start one up and invite me. i'll dominate you all year.
lol ok you are going to dominate me with gore and JT Sullivan right :pickle:

we have 5 of these threads going right now...

Gore is great and has top 3 talent. The SF offense will probably be better than 75% of this board feels.

I think Gore will be top 7 this year and has potential to do even better.
start one up and invite me. i'll dominate you all year.
CHALLENGE!!!!!!!!
There is no competition he is a fish

Didn't we go through all this with Kevin Jones already? And if he hadn't gotten hurt, he'd have put up huge numbers as well despite playing for a previously-awful offense.

THAT is the concern with Gore...the injuries. Not the production when he's on the field.

Didn't we go through all this with Kevin Jones already? And if he hadn't gotten hurt, he'd have put up huge numbers as well despite playing for a previously-awful offense.THAT is the concern with Gore...the injuries. Not the production when he's on the field.
You still stuck on his college injuries? The guy has missed 1 game in the last two seasons. Hardly any more of an injury concern than any other back.........

I love how guys think that Martz is going to run the ball. Martz is a passing OC. He has no intention of running the ball. Your going to see some pissed of Gore owners half way through the season when on 1st and goal from the 1" line he passes on 4 straight downs and turns the ball over on downs.

I love how guys think that Martz is going to run the ball. Martz is a passing OC. He has no intention of running the ball. Your going to see some pissed of Gore owners half way through the season when on 1st and goal from the 1" line he passes on 4 straight downs and turns the ball over on downs.
Thank you....that is what I was saying all along when I started this thread. Martz is Fantasy RB poison!!!!

Everyone is going to dogpile when your feeling is against the grain. Some take chances....some go strictly ADP.

With that being said, I think Gore is in for a huge year as well. I don't think it's so much his team but his running style and big play ability.

I had him 2 years ago (3rd round pick) and without any expectations he showed the ability for huge plays and was a good, consistent performer. This year I have the 5th pick in a 12 teamer. Everyone is Addai (I think Jax will be gone), but I don't feel he will duplicate last years stats due to his running style, horrible schedule and he just seems fragile (not a true 20+ toter)...again, just MY opinion. So I feel your pain when it comes to pulling the trigger on Gore.

Not to mention going ADP will throw you the Jordans, Edges, MJDs in the 1st round when you could have had a Moss or Manning.

gman74 said:
How old are you? Ever hear of Marshall Faulk? HELLO?

Last edited by a moderator:
Say what you want about Mike Martz, but the guy is still an offensive coordinator in the NFL and, to me, that means that he will adapt enough to utilize the best player on his offense. And that is Frank Gore. O-Sullivan seems like he will play well enough to keep defenses honest and that is all that is necessary for Gore to be a beast this year, especially in PPR. Gore can catch, run, goalline, he can do it all. 2 years ago Gore was an absolute stud. Last year he had the death of his mother after a long illness and some minor injuries. Gore also plays in a weak division playing against run defenses like StL and Ariz will pad his stats. Gore = :moneybag:

gman74 said:
Sorry but this is just dumb. :thumbdown: Yeah, that Marshall Faulk guy was a nobody and Martz never used him at all.

Avoiding like the plague. Will pass on him at 10 if there.

You know, he was supposed to dominate last year against these 'bad defenses'. And he didn't.

gman74 said:
Detroit ran > 65% of the time inside the 5....above league avg....read more before making these comments. Martz likes to throw yes - he had Roy W and CJ last year with Furrey/MacDonald in the slot....SF has nobody, and the best player is a pass catching stud RB.....you make the call.

All I can offer is experience as a DET fan. (i know, i know... what can i say? i was born here!) I didn't see anything special about Martz while he was here. He had exceptional talent for his "greatest show on turf" in St Louis and I think it takes just that to run his off effectively. Neither Det or SF has it..... Gore is good, but I don't think he has the surrounding talent to give him the room Martz's off requires to be exceptional at the RB position. In other words, the QB, WO, and most important of all, OL talent on SF just won't make the defense respect the passing game enough like it did when he was at St Louis. His system fit perfectly with the talent at the time. Det and SF just don't measure up...

BigGreenMachine said:
gman74 said:
Thank you....that is what I was saying all along when I started this thread. Martz is Fantasy RB poison!!!!
Since his days as the OC for the Rams no coach has run the ball inside the 5 yard line more than Mike Martz. Even Detroit finished with an above average 13 rushing TDs last season.

gman74 said:
Uhhhh son you are not really trying to compare Gore to one of the greatest all around running backs in history. Marshal was a MVP and is a Hall of Fame player. :rolleyes:

BigGreenMachine said:
gman74 said:
Since his days as the OC for the Rams no coach has run the ball inside the 5 yard line more than Mike Martz. Even Detroit finished with an above average 13 rushing TDs last season.
Please keep the objective facts out of the thread. I'm more interested in the wild and baseless opinions of strangers. TIA.

gman74 said:
Uhhhh son you are not really trying to compare Gore to one of the greatest all around running backs in history. Marshal was a MVP and is a Hall of Fame player. :X
Actually I think he is just using Marshall Faulk as an example that Martz is NOT fantasy poison to runningbacks. Personally I think Gore is in for a great season baring injury. Martz hasnt had a stud rb in the stable since Marshall. Im prety excited to see what Gore can do in this offense.

How can Mike Martz be a fantasy poison? He had nothing but receivers in Detroit and a banged up running back. If they had drafted a running back in one of those 3 straight years instead of receivers, Martz would've had something to work with. You can say all you want about his past, but he hasn't worked with a running back like Frank Gore since Faulk. Gore isn't Faulk but hes way better than those running backs in Detroit. I also can't stand when people talk about Gore last season. They had a 1ST YEAR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR. For christ sake, they had to hire an offensive consultant to help him out near the end of the year. Check Gore stats after Week 12.

Gore 11th in PPR and just below him are hurt and split time backs such as Bush,Jacobs,MJD. Have to say he was a disappointment as well as the 49ers in general

Gore is a top 10 RB in all three leagues I play in (none of them are PPR, but all of them give percentage points per catch based on position). Considering he was a late first round pick in each league, that doesn't sound like a disappointment to me. I am a bit surprised, though, at his lack of catches, as I thought he would catch a lot more balls out of the backfield.

Also, I don't have him on any of my teams.

He is closer to his ADP than some of those drafted before him. Pretty much what those who took him in the 7-9 range expected.

Users who are viewing this thread