What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why does San Diego suck? (2 Viewers)

Old Otis vs. New Otis

'Otis said:
I'm at a ritzy hotel in San Diego, just walked back from the 5th avenue strip in the Gaslamp district, and on the way home, swallowed the reality that I will never sleep with 10s.

I thought I was suave; I thought I was Otis. A charmer of ladies. That's what I do. Or so I thought...

As I walked home through the hordes -- literally -- HORDES of stunning 18-24 year old women, I started to face the harsh realization that these women I lust so strongly after are women I will never bed. The last person I saw before hitching the lock on my hotel room was a 20-23 year old, dark skinned, long haired brunette. She had on a white "dress." It looked like cotton, and was semi see through, and was tightly stuck to her incredible body, from just below her groin to just above her nipples. It was absolutely stunning.
Maybe Otis switched teams. ;)

we had other trips planned for the summer (hyatt in kaanapali); wife/daughter going to denver; wedding in nyc at mandarin oriental; and my guys trip to vegas trip for ffpc. reality was that hotel circle offered great rates for us to sneak in a family vacation. a couple of year prior we planned 7 days in sd (catarmaran) with 3 in anaheim (grand californian). had to cancel that one because i got nasty flu... normally i'd just get us all to the hotel, collapse, and let them play but i was hit hard. had the time off scheduled from work so recovered and we just drove down to denver for a few days. low key... just hit some restaurants and ballgames. for the sd trip last march we didn't spend much time at the hotel. 2 days at seaworld, 1 at zoo, 1 at wild animal park, 3 beach days..... used the hotel primarily for a little down time before dinner (swim/nap/hot tub).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/travel/07hours.html?_r=0

[SIZE=2.4em]36 Hours in San Diego[/SIZE]

Sandy Huffaker for The New York Times
By BROOKS BARNES Published: September 4, 2008IF San Diego feels half empty, that's because it is. At any given time, swarms of residents have decamped a few miles south to Mexico or a few miles north to upscale resort towns. Also, the Navy is the area's largest employer, so a sizable chunk is presumably floating around on aircraft carriers somewhere. Is it any wonder, then, that the town leans so heavily on big tourist attractions (Shamu, the zoo)? A deeper look, however, will reveal more personality than you think. A necklace of quirky, sun-kissed neighborhoods rings downtown, from surferhangouts like Pacific Beach to gentrifying neighborhoods like University Heights. Restaurants are flourishing, too. There is even an emphasis on preserving history, which, for Southern California, is a headline in itself.

Friday

5 p.m.
1) EASE ON DOWN

There's no better indoctrination to San Diego's laid-back style than a stroll along the Embarcadero, a two-mile stretch of downtown waterfront where a gentle sea breeze will lull you into a zombie-like state in no time. The decommissioned aircraft carrier Midway sits nearby and can be admired from Tuna Harbor Park, a shady nook next to the touristy but tasty Fish Market (750 North Harbor Drive; 619-232-3474; www.thefishmarket.com). Warning: Skip Seaport Village, a shopping plaza on the boardwalk, unless you're into pushy pedicab drivers and shops that sell obnoxious T-shirts.

7:30 p.m.
2) GASLAMP GLAMOUR

Much energy and money have been spent gussying up the Gaslamp Quarter, a 16-block downtown neighborhood that was once an archetype of urban blight. The jumble of frat bars is still rather depressing, but several boutique hotels have opened attractive lounges and restaurants. Avoid the W with its hipper-than-thou staff and head to the sleek but comfy Ivy (600 F Street; 619-814-1000; www.ivyhotel.com). Hollywood bigwigs roost there when attending Comic-Con, the annual comic-book convention and movie marketing extravaganza in July. The Ivy's restaurant, Quarter Kitchen, tries a little hard — the hostesses are hilariously outfitted in full-length shimmery gowns — but the menu (by Damon Gordon, formerly head chef for Ian Schrager's constellation of hotels) and modern décor have A-list locals practically moving in. The caviar tacos with horseradish cream ($26) are a favorite but don't overlook the Code 7 ($10), a trio of chocolate glazed, jelly and cinnamon-sugared doughnuts.

10 p.m.
3) CULTURE CLASH

How adventurous are you feeling? If the answer is not very, then perhaps top off the night with a sashay through the Ivy's multilevel nightclub, Envy. For the stronger at heart, there is the Casbah, as in “Rock the ...” Conjuring the 1982 hit from the English punk rockers Clash, the Casbah (2501 Kettner Boulevard; 619-232-4355; www.casbahmusic.com) is a venerable, if a tad dingy, music club where Nirvana, the Smashing Pumpkins and the Lemonheads cultivated an audience. Don't be frightened by the scull-and-cross-guitars logo; the club also features more mainstream acts à la Alanis Morissette.

Saturday

8:30 a.m.
4) GREENSWARD GIANT

No visit to San Diego is complete without taking in Balboa Park (1549 El Prado; 619-239-0512; www.balboapark.org), the 1,200-acre public park that is home to the Old Globe theater, a gargantuan outdoor pipe organ and a half-dozen major museums. A morning walk or jog along the park's central thoroughfare is a perfect way to experience it. If some of those Spanish Baroque Revival buildings look familiar, it's because they starred as Xanadu, the over-the-top estate in “Citizen Kane.”

10 a.m.
5) CALIFORNIA PAST

Tucked in an easy-to-miss enclave just north of downtown, Old Town (www.oldtownsandiego.org) offers a peek into what life was like in San Diego when agave plants still outnumbered people. Start at the Old Town Mexican Café (2489 San Diego Avenue; 619-297-4330; www.oldtownmexcafe.com), where the “tortilla ladies,” visible through giant windows, can be seen frantically hand-rolling corn and flour tortillas, some 7,000 on a busy day, the restaurant says. Don't stop to eat: those tortillas are better seen than tasted. Rather, wander into the Old Town San Diego State Historic Park (www.parks.ca.gov/?page_ID=663) to explore exhibitions like the 143-year-old Mason Street School, a one-room shack decorated with pictures of schoolmarms past. Shops scattered around the Old Town grounds sell the wares of local crafts makers. Large glazed ceramic tiles ($120 to $200) are big sellers.

Noon
6) TACO TREAT

This is a desert, after all, and the sun can be exhausting. Recharge at Casa de Reyes, a traditional Mexican restaurant at the Plaza del Pasado (2754 Calhoun Street; 619-220-5040; www.plazadelpasado.com). Tucked behind a luscious flower garden, the open-air but breezy restaurant provides a festive atmosphere with folkloric dancers and a mariachi band. Sit by the burbling fountain and try the tacos, preferably stuffed with crispy-edged carnitas ($9.95.).

1:30 p.m.
7) BEACH BOUND

There are dozens of beaches, but none are more authentic than Ocean Beach, a funky surfers' haven that has stayed frozen in time because of strict zoning rules from the 1970s. Wander through the stuffed-to-the-rafters Ocean Beach Antique Mall (4926 Newport Avenue; 619-223-6170; www.obantiquedistrict.com). The sidewalk along Newport Avenue, the main drag, is an attraction in itself. As part of a business district improvement effort, the community sells inscribed sidewalk tiles to anybody with $125 and a printable message. The results are oddly touching. (“Jeff Loves Rosie.”) O.B. is a locals' favorite, so you might feel conspicuous without a surfboard or bare feet. Just call everyone dude and you'll be fine.

4 p.m.
8) SALTY SEA AIR

Just to the south of the Ocean Beach Pier is a newly constructed concrete path that leads to one of Southern California's most spectacular stretches of shoreline. Sunset Cliffs(www.sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/parks/shoreline/sunset.shtml) spans 68 acres. Stretch out on the grass, fly a kite (as many locals do) or explore the bluffs and tidal pools.

6:30 p.m.
9) DINNER AT A DINER

You've sampled one of San Diego's new haute restaurants, now go the other way and check out one of the diners that locals gush over. Hash House a Go Go (3628 Fifth Avenue; 619-298-4646; www.hashhouseagogo.com), promises “twisted farm food.” It's mobbed at breakfast and lunch but more manageable at dinner. Try the griddled chili crusted Indiana maple duck breasts ($24). Little ones in tow? Then the ticket is the tricked-out Corvette (3946 Fifth Avenue; 619-542-1476; www.cohnrestaurants.com), where beehive-coiffed waitresses hand out square pieces of Bazooka Bubble Gum to ease the wait for a table.

9 p.m.
10) THE FOX ROCKS

If the Regal Beagle, the pub from the 1970s TV sitcom “Three's Company” ever had a twin, this would be it. Except that the Red Fox Steak House (2223 El Cajon Boulevard; 619-297-1313) is also a piano bar. Dimly lighted with red Naugahyde booths, the lounge at the Red Fox attracts a diverse crowd from hipsters to elderly couples. Everybody sings along after a couple of drinks. Give the adjacent dining room a peek; the room was originally built in 1642 in England but was dismantled and shipped to California in 1926 by the actress Marion Davies, who used it as part of a summer home.

Sunday

10 a.m.
11) IF THEY BUILD IT

Tour the hot and dusty San Diego Zoo if you must. The preferable option, especially for families with younger children, is Legoland (1 Legoland Drive; Carlsbad; 760-918-5346;www.legoland.com). No lines, immaculate grounds and a surprising lack of pressure to buy souvenirs. This is an amusement park? Come before the masses discover it (annual attendance is about a million compared with nearly four million for the zoo). The 128-acre park focuses on interactive, educational attractions like the new Lost Kingdom Adventure, a ride themed around recovering hidden treasure in 1920s Egypt. For Lego fans — admit it, they're not just for kids — the park features a cavernous store that sells hard-to-find sets as well as little colored bricks in bulk ($7.99 for a quarter pound).

Heading to Coronado on the 17th for 8 days. I've never been. Staying in a condo next to Hotel Del. My family and my In Laws who are driving in from Phoenix. Zoo, Sea World, Midway Museum, Balboa Park Padres/Dodgers game are all on the list. How about casual dives for food, anything on the island?

I don't know much about eating in Coronado but just across the bridge puts you in downtown where there are many options.

11) IF THEY BUILD IT

The preferable option, especially for families with younger children, is Legoland (1 Legoland Drive; Carlsbad; 760-918-5346;www.legoland.com). No lines, immaculate grounds and a surprising lack of pressure to buy souvenirs. This is an amusement park? Come before the masses discover it (annual attendance is about a million compared with nearly four million for the zoo). The 128-acre park focuses on interactive, educational attractions like the new Lost Kingdom Adventure, a ride themed around recovering hidden treasure in 1920s Egypt. For Lego fans — admit it, they're not just for kids — the park features a cavernous store that sells hard-to-find sets as well as little colored bricks in bulk ($7.99 for a quarter pound).
Went to Legoland yesterday (hot, muggy nightmare) and if you have to go then take kids when they are 42" tall (old enough to ride all the rides) and less than 8 years old (otherwise they will find it boring).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never been to San Diego. But I have passed on several opportunities just because of the title of this thread. hth.

I've always enjoyed staying at the Four Seasons in Carlsbad. Aviara is one of the most beautiful golf courses I've ever played.
Four Seasons dropped their name because it wasn't living up to the brand. A little confounding as it is a very nice place.

11) IF THEY BUILD IT

The preferable option, especially for families with younger children, is Legoland (1 Legoland Drive; Carlsbad; 760-918-5346;www.legoland.com). No lines, immaculate grounds and a surprising lack of pressure to buy souvenirs. This is an amusement park? Come before the masses discover it (annual attendance is about a million compared with nearly four million for the zoo). The 128-acre park focuses on interactive, educational attractions like the new Lost Kingdom Adventure, a ride themed around recovering hidden treasure in 1920s Egypt. For Lego fans — admit it, they're not just for kids — the park features a cavernous store that sells hard-to-find sets as well as little colored bricks in bulk ($7.99 for a quarter pound).
Went to Legoland yesterday (hot, muggy nightmare) and if you have to go then take kids when they are 42" tall (old enough to ride all the rides) and less than 8 years old (otherwise they will find it boring).
Just let my membership expire after 2 years of doing it. Been about 30 times. The rides are not the main attraction at the park. So, on the one hand if you and your kids are all about rides you might be disappointed. On the other hand, the 42" thing won't kill you because there are many other things to do.

Agree that the sweet spot for ages is 4-8. I stopped the membership because my kids are 8 and 6 now and they stopped asking to go.

I've seems the slums of Bangladesh with children begging for change and raw sewage running through the streets. San Diego is definitely a paradise compared to that.

I hate San Diego. All that good beer, sunny and not too hot weather, beautiful women, beaches.... The horror.

Old Otis vs. New Otis

'Otis said:
I'm at a ritzy hotel in San Diego, just walked back from the 5th avenue strip in the Gaslamp district, and on the way home, swallowed the reality that I will never sleep with 10s.

I thought I was suave; I thought I was Otis. A charmer of ladies. That's what I do. Or so I thought...

As I walked home through the hordes -- literally -- HORDES of stunning 18-24 year old women, I started to face the harsh realization that these women I lust so strongly after are women I will never bed. The last person I saw before hitching the lock on my hotel room was a 20-23 year old, dark skinned, long haired brunette. She had on a white "dress." It looked like cotton, and was semi see through, and was tightly stuck to her incredible body, from just below her groin to just above her nipples. It was absolutely stunning.
This post got insufficient love.

My buddy is texting me pictures from pizza port right now.

I hate him.
I love San Diego, but the pizza here is pretty weak.

Pizza Port has good beer, however.
There's some good spots. Sicilian Thing in North Park kicks ### for slices. The Lasagna Sicilian style is amazing. They nail the crunchy airy square crust. Buona Forchetta and Isola are two of my favorites for the sit-down wood-fired pizzas. Fresh sauce, perfect crust, high quality toppings. I still haven't been to Berkleys, but hear that's pretty good. I like Lefty's for Chicago style, but I will not claim to be an expert by any means on that.

Great place still but it was an absolute paradise before the big population boom. You could go to some beaches on a weekday afternoon and see maybe one or two people with you out in the water.

Really cheap to live too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread