What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Rex Burkhead free? (1 Viewer)

Tick

Footballguy
I'm getting Rex Burkhead for free in my leagues this offseason... why?

After their bye, he scored in my league: 

• 8.50 at Titans (20th rush D) 18/40/0
  • 9.15 vs Jets (26) 12/27/0 3/27
  • 6.75 vs Colts (15) 8/30/0 1/15
  • 10.35 vs Seahawks (21) 11/40/0 4/26
  • 8.95 at Jaguars (17) 16/41/0 1/6
  • 32.90 vs Chargers (29) 22/149/2 2/0
  • 13.40 at 49ers (1)16/47/0 6/32
Not world-beating (other than RB1 in the fantasy title game week), but decent enough.  They have a bunch of guys on the roster, but he moved to the front of the line after the bye and they didn't add anyone better than him.  He's old, uninspiring, they might draft someone... but free?  I'm getting him for 1 FAB.  

Rex actually had his GM come out and say that his usage was due to circumstance, not to anything they'd planned or want to repeat. 

He is pretty much free. I intend to let most others have him over bidding for him or spending loads of capital on him. 

Rex actually had his GM come out and say that his usage was due to circumstance, not to anything they'd planned or want to repeat. 

He is pretty much free. I intend to let most others have him over bidding for him or spending loads of capital on him. 
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/texans-rex-burkhead-could-be-complementary-piece/

Thanks, I missed that.  Still, he's made it this far into FA without the circumstances changing... maybe they pick up some of the 2021 Ravens or something. 

They'll probably add someone, but for 1/250th of my FAB after the first wave of FA, I'll take the gamble.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/texans-rex-burkhead-could-be-complementary-piece/

Thanks, I missed that.  Still, he's made it this far into FA without the circumstances changing... maybe they pick up some of the 2021 Ravens or something. 

They'll probably add someone, but for 1/250th of my FAB after the first wave of FA, I'll take the gamble.

No sweat. Sorry for no link. I just read that today so it was perfect timing for the thread. 

Yes, 1/250th of a budget is certainly worth it. I'd do that. As you know, we have RFAs and I think there'd be bids just because nobody is going to let a running back slip by for a buck, really. I got James Robinson that way in 2020 and it seems our league ain't letting that fly anymore. 

I can’t see him going into the season as the starting RB. Have to expect they’ll upgrade either via FA or the draft.

To me he's quintessential JAG. 
Absolutely... but on a deep dynasty roster, there's some value in having JAG backups - I had a strong team last year that lost Akers, Mostert, and Etienne before the season and ended up starting JAGs like Devonta Freeman, Devontae Booker, Mike Davis, D'Onta Foreman, Sony Michel, Darrel Williams, Jamaal Williams, and Jeff Wilson.  I just checked, and I was 3rd in RB scoring in that league (somewhat fake since there's a flex).  Gimme backup RBs at 1 FAB.

Everybody fully expects the RB situation in HOU to change and 32 yo Rex is like that old QB holding the clipboard for the young talent to arrive.  Picture Burt Reynolds holding the clipboard for Adam Sandler in "The Longest Yard" (remake).  You know it will happen, it's just a matter of when.  

Hou has multiple needs in the Draft.  They will need to be frugal and target a RB on Day 2 or 3 due to the plethora of other needs. 

I am holding Rex currently on my 25 man roster.  I fully expect him to be part of the cut after rookie draft roster moves. 

Users who are viewing this thread