What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why not? Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

MaddHatter

Footballguy
New site, new mock.

Source: http://sidelinescouting.com/blog/mock-draft/

1. Detroit Lions - OT Andre Smith (Alabama)*

The Detroit Lions are in a position to reverse the curse of Bobby Layne. As we see with the New York Giants, winning starts in the trenches. Smith may not declare after this year but if he does, he is a lock for the first round. We like his size and nastiness on the playing field.

2. Kansas City Chiefs - OT Michael Oher (Ole Miss)

The Chiefs may have found a gem in QB Tyler Thigpen. With that said, they need to get him more protection and find an offensive tackle that will help get the ground game moving. The offense is looking very good when you consider what they currently have to work with. Pair up Albert with Oher Herm!

3. Cincinnati Bengals - DE Michael Johnson (Georgia Tech)

Oh where do we begin? The Bengals have been miserable at seemingly every position this year. Offensive line help should be brought in and WR Michael Crabtree is even a possibility. Johnson doesn’t have great numbers but he brings an electrifying presence to a boring offensive line.

4. St. Louis Rams - OT Eugene Monroe (Virginia)

The Rams finally make a sound decision and bring in some offensive line help. Eugene Monroe comes from a long lineage of Virginia offensive linemen that have fared well in the NFL. He is as good as any other tackle in this draft at protecting the quarterback. He would also tow the line for Steven Jackson.

5. Oakland Raiders - WR Michael Crabtree (Texas Tech)*

The love for physical phenoms will not stop any time soon for owner Al Davis. The argument for JaMarcus Russell is that he has no one to throw the ball to. While his offensive line is in shambles, Michael Crabtree would give their franchise quarterback a legitimate threat at wide-out.

6. Houston Texans - OLB Aaron Curry (Wake Forest)

The best of the best, Aaron Curry is arguably the most athletic player in this draft. He would add a dynamic dimension to a young defense loaded with playmakers already. Amobi Okoye, Mario Williams, and DeMeco Ryans would love to see head coach Gary Kubiak bring in Curry.

7. Seattle Seahawks - CB Malcolm Jenkins (Ohio State)

The Seahawks have one of the worst secondaries in the league. Jenkins is the best prospect to come out since Champ Bailey. His coverage skills are second to no one and his ability to make a break on the ball and come up with the pick is no flash in the pan.

8. San Francisco 49ers - OLB/DE Brian Orakpo (Texas)

The 49ers need a guy that can come off of the edge and terrorize the opponent. In their quest, they may have found the next Shawne Merriman. Orakpo is coming off of a minor knee injury but other than that, he has no red flags. He has been very productive in college and is a winner.

9. Cleveland Browns - RB Knowshon Moreno (Georgia)*

Cleveland is gearing themselves up for a Super Bowl run in the near future. To our surprise, the defense has been solid despite having plenty of injuries. The offense sputters at times. Jamal Lewis is a grinder that lacks explosiveness. Moreno could give this offense a shot of adrenaline.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars - OG/OT Jamon Meredith (South Carolina)

Meredith’s stock is exploding due to his versatility. Prior to 2008, he was considered to be one of the top o-line prospects in the draft but a change from tackle to guard in October only benefited Meredith and his draft value. Like Branden Albert a year ago, expect to see this versatile lineman rise quickly.

11. New Orleans Saints - RB Chris “Beanie” Wells (Ohio State)*

The running back situation in New Orleans has not been pretty. The speedy Reggie Bush has been strangled production-wise due to a knee injury and his co-op Deuce McAllister is on his way out of town. This sets up an interesting decision to be made by the front staff if Wells is still on the board.

12. Buffalo Bills - DE George Selvie (South Florida)*

Could end up playing outside linebacker in the NFL, Selvie would give the Bills a better pass rush. DE Aaron Schobel has found it difficult to play in a 16-game season and the depth behind him is average. Selvie is a bit undersized but that won’t stop someone from pulling the trigger on him in the 1st round.

13. Chicago Bears - QB Matt Stafford (Georgia)*

The Bears still have not found their franchise quarterback. Kyle Orton was looking good until the injury bug bit him. Rex Grossman is still rostered but will be a free agent at the end of the year. While they can still get production out of Orton, the Bears better start grooming someone for the future.

14. Minnesota Vikings - CB Vontae Davis (Illinois)*

The Vikings really need a quarterback here but the value is not right unless Stafford fell into their laps. Davis would make the Vikings secondary much better. Minnesota’s pass defense has been near the bottom of the league for years now too.

15. San Diego Chargers - ILB Rey Maualuga (USC)

The Bolts defense has been abysmal at times. The linebacker play has been porous with Merriman out and the guys in the middle are physically weak. The inconsistent play has burdened one of the defenses that has been great in recent memory.

16. Philadelphia Eagles - OT Jason Smith (Baylor)

As much as things change, the more they stay the same. That is how we describe Philadelphia. Andy Reid, if he returns, loves to draft linemen on offense and defense. Smith could be brought in to replace Jon Runyan.

17. Miami Dolphins - DT B.J. Raji (Boston College)

Nose tackle Jason Ferguson is getting closer to 35-years old. The Miami Dolphins have improved drastically as a team but anchoring down the core of their defense would be a Bill Parcells-like move at this point in the draft.

18. Denver Broncos - S Taylor Mays (USC)*

The Broncos need help in the secondary. The safeties continue to take themselves out of the play by taking the wrong angle or playing zone out of coverage. Taylor Mays would also help in run support. The Broncos would get a steal with Mays at 18.

19. Atlanta Falcons - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Maryland)*

Heyward-Bey is a tall, strong wide-out with world class speed. Rookie QB Matt Ryan is already looking like a Pro Bowler with just Roddy White. Pairing White with Heyward-Bey would force opponents to look at Atlanta’s offense like it has Anquan Boldin & Larry Fitzgerald lining up.

20. Green Bay Packers - OG Duke Robinson (Oklahoma)

Duke Robinson brings a lot of force to the offensive line. He has seen time at offensive tackle too. The Packers play upfront has been inconsistent at times so this would be the right call.

21. Washington Redskins - DT Sen’Derrick Marks (Auburn)*

Washington is getting the most out of their defensive tackles but reloading for the future would do them well, especially since they have to see Marion Barber & Brandon Jacobs four times a year.

22. Baltimore Ravens - WR Jeremy Maclin (Missouri)*

One thing that the Ravens offense lacks is a wide receiver that can stretch the field. Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams have been busts. Maclin makes every play look easy as Chase Daniel’s security blanket at Mizzou.

23. New England Patriots - CB Alphonso Smith (Wake Forest)

New England’s secondary has a lot of holes but is still young, to their credit. After signing veteran CB Deltha O’Neal, we realized it was time for Bill Belichick to bring in another quick cornerback to use for several years.

24. Detroit Lions (From DAL) - DT Jeria Perry (Ole Miss)

The same philosophy remains for the Lions — Win in the trenches. Perry is a hog in the middle. After dumping Shaun Rodgers, the Lions need to regroup and refortify their interior.

25. Indianapolis Colts - OC Alex Mack (California)

Jeff Saturday continues to be out with leg and knee injuries plus his contract is about to expire. The Colts need to rebuild their offensive line and protect their star passer Peyton Manning.

26. New York Jets - QB Sam Bradford (Oklahoma)*

The prospect of Brett Favre staying in the Meadowlands forever is not too promising. While he is there, they should bring in a young gun and let him compete with Kellen Clemens for the backup job until Favre leaves or retires.

27. Pittsburgh Steelers - CB Darius Butler (Connecticut)

The Steelers would love for Mack to fall in their laps but there are at least 2 teams in front of them that need his services. Plan B is finding a cornerback that can play on a higher level.

28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DE Greg Hardy (Ole Miss)*

One of the best prospects at his position yet he is still underrated. Hardy will likely fly up draft boards after the combine. Imagine Gaines Adams and Greg Hardy on the same roster.

29. Arizona Cardinals - OLB Brian Cushing (USC)

The Cardinals have put themselves in a position where they have no serious holes on offense or defense. Cushing could supplement a linebacker corps that is already solid from the weak to the strong side.

30. Philadelphia Eagles (From CAR) - S William Moore (Missouri)

Finally, the Eagles get their replacement for Brian Dawkins. Moore makes plays but needs to prove he is faster on the football field as he has gotten burned a couple of times this year.

31. New York Giants - ILB Brandon Spikes (Florida)*

Solid prospect that needs to improve on where he is when not hawking the ball. Sure tackler with good intangibles.

32. Tennessee Titans - WR Percy Harvin (Florida)*

Explosive wide-out slash runner slash returner. Would elevate the offense for the Titans when the pigskin is in his possession.

And no, not high on Laurinaitis or Rashad Johnson, yet. It is only November, anything can change. TEAR IT UP!

No to a right tackle for KC. They desperately need a DE and if Johnson grades out that highly (which he won't, but he does in this mock) then he's the easy pick.

I just can't see Pittsburgh going anywhere other than OL or DL in round one. They needed to do it last year, didn't because of BPA, and are getting burnt for it now, win-loss record aside. Their sub-average OL is being decimated by injuries, and they've lost multiple games from 2 of their 3 starters on the DL. The backups did an admirable job in their absence this time, but their backups are aging, as are the 3 starters.

If all the top OTs and, say, Robinson are history I can see them zeroing in on another big body for their DL rotation, with the eye toward replacing one of Smith/Hampton/Kiesel in a year or so, before they go after a corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the Vikes sign a QB and then can go BPA. They could use RT, S, CB, or backups to groom at DT or Safety.

The Broncos absolutely must get a starter at DT and S in the 1st 2 rounds. Mays would be a great pick.

Sam Bradford falls to pick 26? That's literally impossible.

Either he's gonna be a top 10 pick, or he's gonna go back to school.

No to a right tackle for KC. They desperately need a DE and if Johnson grades out that highly (which he won't, but he does in this mock) then he's the easy pick.
I would also posit that the Bengals need linemen more than defensive players - they have actually been less horrid on the d side of the ball this year. 20th overall in D, 23rd vs rush and 15 vs pass are not awesome by any stretch but that Oline was an issue last season and should have been dealt with and is a pain this year - according to Bengals.com they have allowed 38. While that isn't David Carr destroying numbers, they have given up I think the 4th most in the NFL. If a quality Olineman drops to them, they better take him.

I don't see Moreno going in front of Wells. I also wouldn't be suprised if the Lions manned up and took Stafford #1 . . . For some reason I think they almost have to make a "big bang" pick at 1 to save there fan base but the OT would prob be better pick considering #1 QB picks dont exactly pan out future/money wise. :shrug:

I'm also not that high on Bradford. He has intangibles but he also doesnt have the strongest arm and may not be able to make all the throws I've read. We'll see.

3. Cincinnati Bengals - DE Michael Johnson (Georgia Tech)

Oh where do we begin? The Bengals have been miserable at seemingly every position this year. Offensive line help should be brought in and WR Michael Crabtree is even a possibility. Johnson doesn’t have great numbers but he brings an electrifying presence to a boring offensive line.

Typo? Or a possible position change? Both the offensive and defensive lines for the Bengals have been "boring" this year so I honestly don't know.

At this point the trade the Panthers made last draft for Otah and giving the Eagles this years #1 looks like an absolute no brainer.

1. Detroit Lions - OT Andre Smith (Alabama)*The Detroit Lions are in a position to reverse the curse of Bobby Layne. As we see with the New York Giants, winning starts in the trenches. Smith may not declare after this year but if he does, he is a lock for the first round. We like his size and nastiness on the playing field.While his offensive line is in shambles, Michael Crabtree would give their franchise quarterback a legitimate threat at wide-out.
How many of the Giant's offensive linemen were a high 1st round pick? I'm not saying Detroit won't go O-line, but drafting an offensive lineman with the first pick overall doesn't necessarily mean success. The secret is to find good offensive lineman in the middle rounds so that you don't have to over pay them.

19. Atlanta Falcons - WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Maryland)*

Heyward-Bey is a tall, strong wide-out with world class speed. Rookie QB Matt Ryan is already looking like a Pro Bowler with just Roddy White. Pairing White with Heyward-Bey would force opponents to look at Atlanta’s offense like it has Anquan Boldin & Larry Fitzgerald lining up.

Can't see it. I think the offense has proven they can play with anyone and need some oline depth. I'd be surprised if we didn't go defense, specifically a run stuffing DT or S. Maybe a LB, as Brooking's career is coming to an end. (I hope he retires a Falcon).

Moreno, Bradford and Maclin (maybe even Crabtree) will be back in College for another year.
:goodposting: on all counts. I would be surprised if 1 of those guys stays in school.
I can maybe agree with Moreno, but other than vince Young, when is the last time a Jr. QB came out? ...And Bradford is a red-shirt SOPHMORE. He needs one more year, minimum at Oklahoma before coming out.Maclin would be smart to stay another year, but I can see him coming out too.

6. Houston Texans - OLB Aaron Curry (Wake Forest)The best of the best, Aaron Curry is arguably the most athletic player in this draft. He would add a dynamic dimension to a young defense loaded with playmakers already. Amobi Okoye, Mario Williams, and DeMeco Ryans would love to see head coach Gary Kubiak bring in Curry.
I'd be pretty surprised to see the Texans take an OLB in the 1st. Diles was great before he got hurt, Greenwood can still play, and Adibi was drafted last year. I think a DB or DT is much more likely.

Incogneto said:
awesomeness said:
Incogneto said:
Moreno, Bradford and Maclin (maybe even Crabtree) will be back in College for another year.
:thumbup: on all counts. I would be surprised if 1 of those guys stays in school.
Maclin would be smart to stay another year, but I can see him coming out too.
Why? So he can have a first year non heisman candidate QB throwing to him? He would be wise to come out this year, and that's what he'll do.

If the Steelers draft anything but an OL or DL in round 1, I will go on a rampage clubbing baby seals, and no one wants that.

Steelers seem like a perfect destination for Selvie as a LB

THough, lots said Elvis Dumerville wasnt big enough to play in the NFL. He had what, 11 sacks last year?

Steelers seem like a perfect destination for Selvie as a LBTHough, lots said Elvis Dumerville wasnt big enough to play in the NFL. He had what, 11 sacks last year?
:lmao: The Steelers have 5 very good LBs, including DPOY and some capable backups. I will also mutilate a family of squirrels if we take a LB in Rd 1.

If the Steelers draft anything but an OL or DL in round 1, I will go on a rampage clubbing baby seals, and no one wants that.
Actually, I'd be sorta interested to see that (F- you, PETA!)I'm officially on the George Selvie bandwagon now. :lol:I think seals everywhere are probably safe. Not only has the Steelers OL remained poor, it is also now almost guaranteed to be without 2 of Smith, Starks and Essex. Tony Hills has shown nothing so far. Willie Colon hasn't improved as a pass blocker. Neither has Kemoeatu. Simmons continued to suck before getting hurt. With all those factors, I just don't see how they are going to have any choice but to address it heavily. That said, I doubt they reach either. Not their M.O. In the above scenario, they'd probably happily select Tyson Jackson and move on to round 2 with and eye toward landing offensive lineman with the next several picks.

Actually, I'd be sorta interested to see that (F- you, PETA!)I'm officially on the George Selvie bandwagon now. :excited: I think seals everywhere are probably safe. Not only has the Steelers OL remained poor, it is also now almost guaranteed to be without 2 of Smith, Starks and Essex. Tony Hills has shown nothing so far. Willie Colon hasn't improved as a pass blocker. Neither has Kemoeatu. Simmons continued to suck before getting hurt. With all those factors, I just don't see how they are going to have any choice but to address it heavily. That said, I doubt they reach either. Not their M.O. In the above scenario, they'd probably happily select Tyson Jackson and move on to round 2 with and eye toward landing offensive lineman with the next several picks.
While I think I'd prefer to see the Steelers trade up to get an O-lineman, a la the Panthers this year, most species of wildlife will be safe from my wrath if we use a first round pick on a true down lineman in the 3-4.

Incogneto said:
awesomeness said:
Incogneto said:
:mellow: on all counts. I would be surprised if 1 of those guys stays in school.
I can maybe agree with Moreno, but other than vince Young, when is the last time a Jr. QB came out? ...And Bradford is a red-shirt SOPHMORE. He needs one more year, minimum at Oklahoma before coming out.Maclin would be smart to stay another year, but I can see him coming out too.
Rex Grossman :(

Incogneto said:
awesomeness said:
Incogneto said:
:) on all counts. I would be surprised if 1 of those guys stays in school.
So you don't think Stafford is going to declare either?

:goodposting: on all counts. I would be surprised if 1 of those guys stays in school.
Bradford is a THIRD YEAR SOPHOMORE, meaning he is 3 years removed from his HS graduation, and therefore draft-eligible.

5. Oakland Raiders - WR Michael Crabtree (Texas Tech)*The love for physical phenoms will not stop any time soon for owner Al Davis. The argument for JaMarcus Russell is that he has no one to throw the ball to. While his offensive line is in shambles, Michael Crabtree would give their franchise quarterback a legitimate threat at wide-out.
I just threw up a little. :goodposting:
32. Tennessee Titans - WR Percy Harvin (Florida)*Explosive wide-out slash runner slash returner. Would elevate the offense for the Titans when the pigskin is in his possession.
We've been saying this for years, but the Titans just don't draft WRs. I like the pick enough, but I doubt it - I'd take Laryngitis fo' sho if available.

If Bradford is eligible there is no way he falls past Minnesota.

Plus in the mock scenario I would imagine the Vikings and Bears trying to play leap-frog to ensure the QB they want... possibly with the Saints if they truly do covet a RB (which I doubt)

Users who are viewing this thread