What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Will Anderson is Still the best player in the draft (1 Viewer)

This also bleeds into my feelings that Offensive Lineman should never go in the Top 5 these days. What teams are willing themselves into the Super Bowl with a All Pro Left Tackle. I couldn't name 3 of the starting KC OL in the Super Bowl.

Dude, the KC and PHI OL were huge reasons for their success. PHI might have had the All-PRO LT in Jordan Mailata and KC had Orlando Brown, if I'm not mistaken. The offensive lines, in total, were ranked 1st and 4th respectively in PFF's grading. They were awesome and a big reason why their teams reached the Super Bowls.

I don't think you could be any more incorrect than this.

But MOP isn't saying that OL isn't important, just that you don't need to draft top 5 for those guys. Mailata was a 7th round pick and Orlando Brown was a 3rd round pick.

This also bleeds into my feelings that Offensive Lineman should never go in the Top 5 these days. What teams are willing themselves into the Super Bowl with a All Pro Left Tackle. I couldn't name 3 of the starting KC OL in the Super Bowl.

Dude, the KC and PHI OL were huge reasons for their success. PHI might have had the All-PRO LT in Jordan Mailata and KC had Orlando Brown, if I'm not mistaken. The offensive lines, in total, were ranked 1st and 4th respectively in PFF's grading. They were awesome and a big reason why their teams reached the Super Bowls.

But MOP isn't saying that OL isn't important, just that you don't need to draft top 5 for those guys. Mailata was a 7th round pick and Orlando Brown was a 3rd round pick.
Exactly, my point is many teams that draft OL in the Top 5 or Top 10, doesn't typically change the arc of the franchise
Miami took Jake Long No 1 overall back in '08 or '09 at Left Tackle, he turned into a Pro Bowler but we never went to the Playoffs with him
Jake ended up being traded 5 years later and then was out of the league not long after.

I like the OL that get taken by the better teams in the back half of the 1st Rd into the 2nd and 3rd rounds, you find a lot of good OL in there.
The NFL has made it much easier to draft QBs in the Top 10 now, even the ones that don't really deserve the honor.
You don't even hear many OL discussed in the Top 10.

I used to help put the OL articles together for FBG in the summers. I'm a huge believer in Tackles and being able to secure the edges for QBs to have time to throw.
I certainly saw where KC put the priority in reloading parts of their OL to protect Mahomes, that was wise because they have a Hall of Fame QB.

Weak OL class IMHO to compound things. The best Tackle on the board played at Northwestern?
Miami hasn't done very well in the draft picking OL since about 1990 when they drafted Keith SIms and Richmond Webb, made the perfect left side of the OL for Marino

Exactly, my point is many teams that draft OL in the Top 5 or Top 10, doesn't typically change the arc of the franchise
Miami took Jake Long No 1 overall back in '08 or '09 at Left Tackle, he turned into a Pro Bowler but we never went to the Playoffs with him
Jake ended up being traded 5 years later and then was out of the league not long after.

I like the OL that get taken by the better teams in the back half of the 1st Rd into the 2nd and 3rd rounds, you find a lot of good OL in there.
The NFL has made it much easier to draft QBs in the Top 10 now, even the ones that don't really deserve the honor.
You don't even hear many OL discussed in the Top 10.

I used to help put the OL articles together for FBG in the summers. I'm a huge believer in Tackles and being able to secure the edges for QBs to have time to throw.
I certainly saw where KC put the priority in reloading parts of their OL to protect Mahomes, that was wise because they have a Hall of Fame QB.

Weak OL class IMHO to compound things. The best Tackle on the board played at Northwestern?
Miami hasn't done very well in the draft picking OL since about 1990 when they drafted Keith SIms and Richmond Webb, made the perfect left side of the OL for Marino

Yeah, Lane Johnson was the only OL the Eagles drafted top 5 of their current group. But he was an athletic freak. The rest they took had red flags that those players had to overcome. Kelce, undersized. Dickerson, injury issues. Mailata, never played football. Seumalo, injury issues. The Eagles drafted Andre Dillard in the first round and he couldn't get on the field. You could probably say that about any position, but with OL, you can find good NFL caliber starters later in the draft.

I'd be interested to see a study on the ADP of probowl players by position.

Yeah, Lane Johnson was the only OL the Eagles drafted top 5 of their current group. But he was an athletic freak. The rest they took had red flags that those players had to overcome. Kelce, undersized. Dickerson, injury issues. Mailata, never played football. Seumalo, injury issues. The Eagles drafted Andre Dillard in the first round and he couldn't get on the field. You could probably say that about any position, but with OL, you can find good NFL caliber starters later in the draft.

I'd be interested to see a study on the ADP of probowl players by position.
Most of the best All Pro level players at every position are early picks (it's a bit relative, 2nd round is kind of later for a QB but is early for a RB). There are exceptions everywhere of course, Amon Ra, Jason Kelce, Austin Ekeler, Justin Simmons, Matthew Judon, etc. However, the best players at just about every position are 1st or 2nd round picks. The one exception seems to be TE.

You could make that argument about almost any position group though. 6 of the 10 OL All Pros were first round picks. 2 were second round picks.
The difference is their individual impact on the game. It's better to have blue chippers at certain positions.

Let's say two teams draft two good players in the 1st and 3rd round. One is a blue chip, All-Pro type. They other is decent. B-/C+ type player. Good starter, never breaks the bank, starts for 6-8 years.
One team gets an All-Pro right tackle, and a decent defensive tackle. The other gets an All-Pro defensive tackle, and a decent right tackle.

I'd much rather have the stud pass rusher, and decent O-linemen. Josh Jacobs was best RB last year behind Kolton Miller and 4 JAGs. You won't find a D-line of 3 JAGs and a good player giving similar performance. You have more mid round OGs and RB hit, because you can win with just decent players at those spots.

The difference is their individual impact on the game. It's better to have blue chippers at certain positions.
I agree, hence why Will Levis could go top 5 and Saquon might fall to the end of the 1st.
Let's say two teams draft two good players in the 1st and 3rd round. One is a blue chip, All-Pro type. They other is decent. B-/C+ type player. Good starter, never breaks the bank, starts for 6-8 years.
One team gets an All-Pro right tackle, and a decent defensive tackle. The other gets an All-Pro defensive tackle, and a decent right tackle.

I'd much rather have the stud pass rusher, and decent O-linemen. Josh Jacobs was best RB last year behind Kolton Miller and 4 JAGs. You won't find a D-line of 3 JAGs and a good player giving similar performance. You have more mid round OGs and RB hit, because you can win with just decent players at those spots.
I think I would agree, pass rusher is tougher to find. They usually have to win 1 on 1 or even double teamed. A weaker lineman can be covered up a bit with an extra TE, RB in pass pro, etc. Plus so much of it is is about working as a unit. Also a pass rushing DT is just about the rarest thing in the league. Those guys are extra valuable because there's only a handful of them. Most DTs provide almost nothing in the pass rush game.

Las Vegas did run the ball efficiently last year. They were middle in the pack for yards but ypc was really good. However, analysts seem to have pointed out the pass blocking as being a huge problem. I am not sure they are an example of a model for team building.

Also pass rush alone doesn't equate to a good season. Of the top 10 teams QB pressure rate, half of them didn't make the playoffs. Cinci and Jax were among the 5 lowest pass rush rates and they both won NFL playoff games.

Las Vegas did run the ball efficiently last year. They were middle in the pack for yards but ypc was really good. However, analysts seem to have pointed out the pass blocking as being a huge problem. I am not sure they are an example of a model for team building
The line, before the season, was a major problem, according to analysts. They were wrong.
We have the same guys now, no one is talking about an all time awful offensive line. They were a decent group. Just decent.

Or take the Patriots. Had a bunch of non special linemen playing well for 20 years. Lost a bunch of them to free agency. The line has been fine.

Why Will Anderson is Still the best player in the draft​

FIRST ROUND MOCK
@firstroundmock
Makes sense to me - Will Anderson is my EDGE6 as a former NFL Scout for reasons in this article
https://firstroundmock.com/2023/03/will-anderson-jr-aint-no-micah-parsons/… #NFLDraftNews
uSTADIUM App@uSTADIUM
Chris Simms has Will Anderson as his 5th EDGE in this Draft “I am almost willing to bet big there is NO WAY he goes higher than the 4 guys (Edges) we just talked about (T Wilson, L Ness, N Smith, W McDonald IV).” (@NBCSports) See his entire breakdown:…

>>> LINK to video

It would appear as the main reason teams are calling about the #3

Stroud/Young will likely go in the first and second pick in whichever order, possibly a 3rd QB enters the discussion but odds are the 1 and 2 pick are set and most NFL GMs already know who is likely to be there at #3 and the rush to either grab this guy or Carter I'll say ahead of teams like Seattle at No 5. If Pete Carroll can stay put at 5 and watch 3 QBs off the board, he's left with a DL that he covets or can use as an anchor. Seattle is still building their OL/DL, happy to put Geno on a short contract and if he doesn't work out they have a somewhat loaded team for a potential rookie QB, they know what they are doing.

Why Will Anderson is Still the best player in the draft​

FIRST ROUND MOCK
@firstroundmock
Makes sense to me - Will Anderson is my EDGE6 as a former NFL Scout for reasons in this article
https://firstroundmock.com/2023/03/will-anderson-jr-aint-no-micah-parsons/… #NFLDraftNews
uSTADIUM App@uSTADIUM
Chris Simms has Will Anderson as his 5th EDGE in this Draft “I am almost willing to bet big there is NO WAY he goes higher than the 4 guys (Edges) we just talked about (T Wilson, L Ness, N Smith, W McDonald IV).” (@NBCSports) See his entire breakdown:…

>>> LINK to video
Chris Simms is one of the worst draft analysts that exist. He was higher than everyone (other than maybe Kiper) on Josh Allen 5 years ago, and has gotten forever credibility for it, despite becoming a Skip Bayless level hot take machine.

I will agree Will Anderson is slightly overrated and is nowhere near the prospect that guys like Hutchinson or Bosa were, but if he goes after those 4 guys, its because he suffered a major injury in the next 2 weeks, and that's it.

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Will Anderson to the Texans is reportedly becoming “more and more” of a possibility. Texans HC DeMeco Ryans reportedly “loves” Anderson and is heavily leaning towards him. The Texans are also reportedly “not sold” on either Anthony Richardson, CJ Stroud, or Will Levis. The Texans and Lions are the only teams to host Anderson on a Top-30 visit so far

Seahawks hosted Alabama EDGE Will Anderson for a top-30 visit.​

Anderson is widely considered to be the top defensive prospect available in the upcoming draft. With loads of uncertainty now surrounding the top of the draft except for the first pick, Seattle may be considering a move up to get Anderson. They could also be thinking about the possibility of him falling to them if multiple quarterbacks come off the board early. It's still a long shot for Seattle to land Anderson, but anything can happen on draft night.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Apr 19, 2023 at 4:04 PM ET

You could make that argument about almost any position group though. 6 of the 10 OL All Pros were first round picks. 2 were second round picks.

I'm the opposite. I want the stud offensive lineman. You need to protect your most important asset...your quarterback. You can rotate defensive linemen in and out. The Eagles worked it to perfection this season. Brandon Graham got double digit sacks playing 40% of the snaps. Sweat got double digit sacks playing 50% of the snaps. Your offensive linemen are going to play 90%+ of the snaps. Give me Lane Johnson over Nick Bosa every day of the week.

Both OT and DE are premium positions. There’s only personal preference about who is more important IMO. Unless you buy the action/reaction theory that holds that the actors are more important than the reactors.

Both OT and DE are premium positions. There’s only personal preference about who is more important IMO. Unless you buy the action/reaction theory that holds that the actors are more important than the reactors.

Who are the actors and who are the reactors?

I would think that the answer would be play specific.

I think DL are considered actors because the OL has to react to how they’re trying to get to the QB. Like everything else, though, that’s simplistic. The OL has the offensive cue. Just relaying a theory

Who are the actors and who are the reactors?

I would think that the answer would be play specific.
Agreed. In general, pass plays have the OL reacting while run plays the O Line takes over as actors. They both need to be able to be both.

Seems to have been huge market movement in terms of Anderson and who'll be the second overall pick, appears anywhere between -250 and -333 depending on what book you look at

Texans selected Alabama EDGE Will Anderson with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.​

Anderson (6’4/253) blends productivity, pedigree, and projectable traits better than any other player in this year’s edge group. In addition to being invited to New York as a Heisman Trophy finalist, he also won the SEC Defensive Player of the Year and Bronco Nagurski Trophy in each of the past two seasons. A prototype 3-4 outside linebacker, Anderson is a complete defender who has a vast well of techniques at his disposal to bypass blockers and create havoc for SEC quarterbacks. The Alabama superstar sets as strong an edge as can be expected from a 253-pound OLB thanks to his linear, balanced frame and powerful lower half. His 147 pressures over the last two years lead the nation in that category, but his 27.5 percent missed tackle rate this year was a troubling mark. The 40-yard dash was the only athletic testing he participated in, running a 96th percentile 4.60s 40 with a 91st percentile 10-yard split. Educated hands, supersonic get-off, and speed-to-power transition make Anderson a near lock to be a formidable defensive weapon and Pro-Bowler.
Apr 27, 2023, 8:35 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread