What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will Asomugha shut down Marshall? (1 Viewer)

Ridgelake

Footballguy
We all know the Raiders have been aweful this year. But one bright spot seems to be the pro bowl caliber play of CB Asomugha. As a Marshall owner, I am VERY worried this week. Here's what Nnamdi has done this year:

Wk 11: Miami - Camarillo 2-34-0

Wk 10: Carolina - Steve Smith 1-9-0 (2 picks on passes his way)

Wk 9: Atlanta - Roddy White 5-54-0

Wk 8: Baltimore - Derrick Mason 1-3-0

Wk 7: Jets - Jerricho Cotchery 1-0-0

Wk 6: Saints - Devery Henderson 2-68-0, or Lance Moore 7-97-0

Wk 5: Bye

Wk 4: Chargers - Vincent Jackson 3-52-0

Wk 3: Buffalo - Lee Evans 4-65-0

Wk 2: KC - Dwayne Bowe 6-90-0

Wk 1: Denver - Jackson/Stokely combined 4-29-0 (Marshall suspended this game)

Only Roddy White had even a remotely adequate game since their bye week. Nnamdi has been really, really good. There is some comfort in last year's Oak/Den results of 5/82/0 and 6/67/0. But I'm thinking very seriously of sitting Marshall.

Anyone else got further thoughts on this subject?

My thoughts are that MIA shutdown Marshall a few weeks back (week 9?) in Denver, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it again considering OAK bleeds against the run, but has Asomugha to protect against the pass. I haven't really seen the Raiders play much this year, but I thought that I had read several times before that Asomugha plays only one side all the time. If that is true, then DEN could move Marshall around to get him off Asomugha at times. This should be an interesting matchup, though, since DEN is weak at RB right now and that is OAK's biggest weakness. Do you think DEN throws a lot of screen passes to Hillis in a pseudo-running attack? Good luck with Marshall this week.

We all know the Raiders have been aweful this year. But one bright spot seems to be the pro bowl caliber play of CB Asomugha. As a Marshall owner, I am VERY worried this week. Here's what Nnamdi has done this year:Wk 11: Miami - Camarillo 2-34-0Wk 10: Carolina - Steve Smith 1-9-0 (2 picks on passes his way)Wk 9: Atlanta - Roddy White 5-54-0Wk 8: Baltimore - Derrick Mason 1-3-0Wk 7: Jets - Jerricho Cotchery 1-0-0Wk 6: Saints - Devery Henderson 2-68-0, or Lance Moore 7-97-0Wk 5: ByeWk 4: Chargers - Vincent Jackson 3-52-0Wk 3: Buffalo - Lee Evans 4-65-0Wk 2: KC - Dwayne Bowe 6-90-0Wk 1: Denver - Jackson/Stokely combined 4-29-0 (Marshall suspended this game)Only Roddy White had even a remotely adequate game since their bye week. Nnamdi has been really, really good. There is some comfort in last year's Oak/Den results of 5/82/0 and 6/67/0. But I'm thinking very seriously of sitting Marshall.Anyone else got further thoughts on this subject?
Nobody on that list has HALF the talent as Brandon Marshall with the exception of MAYBE Roddy white. And true the stats say that Miami held Marshall in check, but in reality, if you watched the game, not only did Marshall drop a bunch of passes when he was open, but he also had a 90- yard TD called back on a bogus offensive pass interference call. Benching Brandon has not even crossed my mind and you're silly if you do sit him. He's a big play waiting to happen, and there are few defenders that can guard him. I do see Cutler spreading it around this weekend, but that's something he's done all year. I think 75-100 yards and a score is VERY possible for Brandon this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, he only plays the right side.

Marshall lines up at X Y or Z. Royal played almost exclusively at the Z week 1, all but one catch for six yards came against Me'Angelo.

Marshall has nothing on Asomugha, but the difference in this matchup and most others is that Cutler hasn't yet developed the ability to look elsewhere. He forces FAR too many balls into places he shouldn't, and from a fantasy angle that's great for Marshall owners.

We all know the Raiders have been aweful this year. But one bright spot seems to be the pro bowl caliber play of CB Asomugha. As a Marshall owner, I am VERY worried this week. Here's what Nnamdi has done this year:

Only Roddy White had even a remotely adequate game since their bye week. Nnamdi has been really, really good. There is some comfort in last year's Oak/Den results of 5/82/0 and 6/67/0. But I'm thinking very seriously of sitting Marshall.

Nobody on that list has HALF the talent as Brandon Marshall with the exception of MAYBE Roddy white. And true the stats say that Miami held Marshall in check, but in reality, if you watched the game, not only did Marshall drop a bunch of passes when he was open, but he also had a 90- yard TD called back on a bogus offensive pass interference call. Benching Brandon has not even crossed my mind and you're silly if you do sit him. He's a big play waiting to happen, and there are few defenders that can guard him. I do see Cutler spreading it around this weekend, but that's something he's done all year. I think 75-100 yards and a score is VERY possible for Brandon this weekend.
Steve Smith would break your nose if he read this.

Is this a fact?He didn't get any coverage on Eddie Royal this game?ETA: nevermind....

We all know the Raiders have been aweful this year. But one bright spot seems to be the pro bowl caliber play of CB Asomugha. As a Marshall owner, I am VERY worried this week. Here's what Nnamdi has done this year:Wk 11: Miami - Camarillo 2-34-0Wk 10: Carolina - Steve Smith 1-9-0 (2 picks on passes his way)Wk 9: Atlanta - Roddy White 5-54-0Wk 8: Baltimore - Derrick Mason 1-3-0Wk 7: Jets - Jerricho Cotchery 1-0-0Wk 6: Saints - Devery Henderson 2-68-0, or Lance Moore 7-97-0Wk 5: ByeWk 4: Chargers - Vincent Jackson 3-52-0Wk 3: Buffalo - Lee Evans 4-65-0Wk 2: KC - Dwayne Bowe 6-90-0Wk 1: Denver - Jackson/Stokely combined 4-29-0 (Marshall suspended this game)Only Roddy White had even a remotely adequate game since their bye week. Nnamdi has been really, really good. There is some comfort in last year's Oak/Den results of 5/82/0 and 6/67/0. But I'm thinking very seriously of sitting Marshall.Anyone else got further thoughts on this subject?
On a side note, the catches made by Roddy White were against Hall. And Asomugha did not cover Bowe in Week 2; Hall covered Bowe the whole game due to Bowe lining up on the opposite side.

Correct, he only plays the right side.

Marshall lines up at X Y or Z. Royal played almost exclusively at the Z week 1, all but one catch for six yards came against Me'Angelo.
Can anyone else confirm this? I'm not saying it's untrue, but I've heard conflicting things. If true, this would make a big difference to Marshall owners. Thanks.

Are people seriously going to bench Marshall? He's the most targeted WR in the NFL (111) with a top 3 QB. I'm not saying Asomugha is not good, b/c he is one of the better defenders in the NFL. But Marshall's size will match up very well with him. Again, look at that list and with the exception of Roddy White and yes, maybe even Steve Smith, nobody on that list has HALF the talent as Marshall. The problem Brandon has had lately and could possibly have this Sunday is a case of hte dropsies. I have no doubt he can get open against Asomugha, but he needs stop dropping so many passes. I just don't see how people can bench him this week?

I know that you are embellishing for effect, but in one of my leagues, here are the fantasy points per game for those guys:Roddy White 13

Steve Smith 11

Brandon Marshall 10

Dwayne Bowe 9

Lee Evans 9

Lance Moore 9

Vincent Jackson 8

Jerricho Cotchery 7

Derrick Mason 7

Devery Henderson 7

Camarillo 6

I don't think they their talent level can be discounted so easily.

Again, look at that list and with the exception of Roddy White and yes, maybe even Steve Smith, nobody on that list has HALF the talent as Marshall.
Dwayne Bowe has at least 80% of the talent of BM, and Roddy and SS at least 90%.Marshall is good but he's not some once in a lifetime talent. When it's all said and done i'd be shocked if he's looked at as a top 20 WR career wise.Marshall is a solid WR with major off the field issues, nothing more nothing less.

Denver lines up with in multiple sets. There is a good chance Asomugha isn't on Marshall for 50% of the game. Maybe he gets Royal most of the game?

Darrell Jackson posted 1-48-1TD that game

Why is this still being discussed. It's been documented that Asomugha covers one side, and that the Broncos move their receivers all over the field in XYZ positions. So if Asomugha is guaranteed to cover Marshall 50% of the time, do you bench him? I would say not.

Maybe this bodes well for Scheffler?
I think it does very much. Why test the best CB in the NFL when you don't have to. Regardless of whether he's on Marshall or Royal, he won't be on Scheffler and the rest of the Raiders pass defense is mediocre at best.

Asomugha is 6' 2" tall.

Marshall is 6' 4" tall.

As long as Cutler makes sure to place the ball within that two inches of difference, then Marshall will be fine.

Asomugha is 6' 2" tall.

Marshall is 6' 4" tall.

As long as Cutler makes sure to place the ball within that two inches of difference, then Marshall will be fine.

Serious display of brilliance here.

:confused: :thumbup: :loco:

I have several good options, Santana at worst rated passing D Seattle, Bowe vs Bills, or Marshall. Right now, I've still got Marshall in there, but considering playing Santana instead. Any thoughts there?

I have several good options, Santana at worst rated passing D Seattle, Bowe vs Bills, or Marshall. Right now, I've still got Marshall in there, but considering playing Santana instead. Any thoughts there?
You're concerned about Marshall getting shut down so you're considering starting a WR that has been shutdown in 4 of the last 6 games instead? :hophead:

You're concerned about Marshall getting shut down so you're considering starting a WR that has been shutdown in 4 of the last 6 games instead? :bag:
Bowe has scored double figures in 5 straight games? :goodposting:

Jay Cutler did well in the season opener against the Raiders (300 yards, two touchdowns) and should be able to pass wherever Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha isn't. That may impact Brandon Marshall, who has never scored on the Raiders :goodposting: (four career meetings).

Just a quick question...given that Asomugha is a RCB...does that mean he would be on the offensive left side or right side? Does the "right" cornerback equate to the offensive "left" wide receiver? Or is it right for right?

Thanks.

MATCHUPS TO WATCH: Broncos WR Eddie Royal vs. Raiders CB Chris Johnson. In his rookie debut, Royal torched the Raiders for nine receptions, 146 yards and a touchdown, operating mostly against the off-man coverage of DeAngelo Hall. With Brandon Marshall out with a one-game suspension, Royal was the go-to receiver and the Raiders were helpless to stop him. With Marshall back in action this time, the Raiders won't be able to roll their coverage to Royal even if they wanted. That puts Johnson in a lot of man coverage against one of the NFL's most productive rookies. So far, Johnson has been up to the task, playing well in both coverage and run-support.

:2cents:

You're concerned about Marshall getting shut down so you're considering starting a WR that has been shutdown in 4 of the last 6 games instead? :D
Bowe has scored double figures in 5 straight games? :bag:
OP said he has is considering playing Santana..

Just a quick question...given that Asomugha is a RCB...does that mean he would be on the offensive left side or right side? Does the "right" cornerback equate to the offensive "left" wide receiver? Or is it right for right?Thanks.
Yes, you do have the right to know on which right side the right cornerback is playing. He will be playing right in front of the DEN WR on the right side. His opponent WR is also on the right side, so go figure that one. But, if I'm right and you're right, then Asomugha will definitely be playing on the right side across from his receiver who will also be on the right. But, he'll simultaneously be playing on the left side. It's difficult.Have I got that all right?HTH

Just a quick question...given that Asomugha is a RCB...does that mean he would be on the offensive left side or right side? Does the "right" cornerback equate to the offensive "left" wide receiver? Or is it right for right?Thanks.
Would it be out of the realm of possibility that asomugha does shadow marshall? is he not skilled enough to? are the raiders not crafty enough to?

A lot of anaylsis here but there's one thing I will never forget..........I don't bench my studs. If I am in a league where I have enough studs to consider benching Brandon Marshall than I'm already counting my winnings.

Seriously though, it's all about targets for me and I just don't see Jay Cutler being "intimidated" by a top corner to just all of a sudden stop throwing those 10-15 passes a game that he averages to Marshall. I think worst case scenario is 4 or 5 catches for 40-75 yards, best case is 100 and a score.

I'm in a PPR league and own BOTH Marshall and Royal and I start them every single week and enjoy it. :excited:

He will probably shut him down because I own him and the fantasy gods dislike me this year. Started out 5-0 and now fighting for the last playoff spot. had no idea how valuable Reggie was to my team!!

Marshall and Hillis were the only bright spots for the entire Denver team this week. Considering, I'd say Marshall had an okay week. He only got me 10 points my league. I'd say Cutler mainly shut down Marshall.

Marshall and Hillis were the only bright spots for the entire Denver team this week. Considering, I'd say Marshall had an okay week. He only got me 10 points my league. I'd say Cutler mainly shut down Marshall.
Agreed - some errant throws, though to be fair Cutler had to force a bunch. Marshall would have been over 100 yards, had a catch late called back because of another infamous Denver O-line chop block away from the ball. So I wouldn't say shut down.

He is shadowing Marshall, wherever he goes. He's not just playing one side of the ball.
Nnamdi doesn't shadow WRs he shuts 1 side of the field down. Cutler threw at him once all game and it was nearly an INT. He went after Chris Johnson most of the game. Nnamdi has only been throw at 12 time the entire year.

He is shadowing Marshall, wherever he goes. He's not just playing one side of the ball.
Nnamdi doesn't shadow WRs he shuts 1 side of the field down. Cutler threw at him once all game and it was nearly an INT. He went after Chris Johnson most of the game. Nnamdi has only been throw at 12 time the entire year.
:thumbdown: Gotta love the Marshall homers who apparently didn't even watch the game.

Users who are viewing this thread