What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will lil Marvin H be worth the #1 dynasty pick? (1 Viewer)

From what I am looking at there are some good grades on 6 to 10 different RBs and who are the top ones seems to vary from different sources.
If the draft is today I'll take treveyon henderson. High end size and speed. Catches the ball well. Has the speed for long touchdowns. Pass blocking is a concern and he's had a couple dings since breaking his foot but otherwise he checks all the boxes.

There are a surprising number of decent rb prospects for a supposedly weak class. There isn't a first round guy (although I think henderson could sneak into that conversation with a great combine). But there's a bunch of guys with good size and speed who could go day two.

And there are a lot of older rbs who are getting ready for the glue factory.

I think we're going to see a landscape similar to (roughly) 2010-2015 when there weren't many stud rbs out there and with the exception of the very top guys, situation was more important than splitting hairs between mediocre talents.

Which two RB do you think are far and away better than the rest?
I don't think they are far and away better, but they are good enough that if they get premium spots they can premium produce. TreVeon Henderson and Braelen Allen have the opportunity to be 20 PPG guys. Henderson's a dynamic talent when healthy and he's a very good receiver, could be McCaffrey-esque. He changes everything about the offense when he's out there. Allen is a guy that should be a bellcow that stays on the field in the red zone and on a team with a strong offense but not a goal-line QB like Houston (did I just say that?) or Cincinnati could really be productive.

From what I am looking at there are some good grades on 6 to 10 different RBs and who are the top ones seems to vary from different sources.
If the draft is today I'll take treveyon henderson. High end size and speed. Catches the ball well. Has the speed for long touchdowns. Pass blocking is a concern and he's had a couple dings since breaking his foot but otherwise he checks all the boxes.

There are a surprising number of decent rb prospects for a supposedly weak class. There isn't a first round guy (although I think henderson could sneak into that conversation with a great combine). But there's a bunch of guys with good size and speed who could go day two.

And there are a lot of older rbs who are getting ready for the glue factory.

I think we're going to see a landscape similar to (roughly) 2010-2015 when there weren't many stud rbs out there and with the exception of the very top guys, situation was more important than splitting hairs between mediocre talents.
Yeah I have heard a few times from people here that they think the 2024 draft class is weak at the RB position but I have some serious doubts about that being true.

I think its more the case that there are some premier names at the QB and WR position (Harrison being one of them) that is overshadowing peoples perception of the actually quality of the RB group, along with the other factors that I mentioned in previous post pulling peoples attention away from the position.

I haven't spent any time watching and evaluating these players myself. So who knows? Maybe after doing that (if I do) I will end up agreeing with them about this.

I am skeptical about that assertion right now though.

How many disasters have to happen where people draft for situation.
Trent Richardson was considered by some to be the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. He was drafted 3rd overall by the Cleveland Browns who had an excellent offensive line at the time they drafted him.

How many times does a cant miss best talent best draft pedigree and best situation have to fail before people realize nothing is a sure thing?

Be careful if Harrison somehow ends up with the Browns?

Trent Richardson was considered by some to be the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. He was drafted 3rd overall by the Cleveland Browns who had an excellent offensive line at the time they drafted him.

How many times does a cant miss best talent best draft pedigree and best situation have to fail before people realize nothing is a sure thing?

More than a few?
How many lesser talents have failed in good situations, a thousand?

Also see, Kyle Pitts vs Jamar Chase
Pitts won't scare me off of Bowers.

If there is a WR or a TE that is the prospect that Bowers or Harrison is, I'll take them over a RB every time.
Understood, one player probably shouldn’t. But so many top TE prospects fail to live up to their hype. Out of the last 15 years, I think Hockenson is the only one who has been worth taking in the top 10.
Bowers has talent, but there’s no way I’d take him over MH or Nabers, probably not Odunze, Egbuka, or the top 3 RBs if they land in good situations.

I currently have picks 1-3-4 and then 2 that will be anywhere from 9-14.

Bowers doesn't seem a good selection with the first 3. Maybe viable later if he falls. I reckon from about 6 and later is where I'd feel comfortable taking him right now but we'll see what happens once everyone is with their NFL team.

Bowers doesn't seem a good selection with the first 3. Maybe viable later if he falls. I reckon from about 6 and later is where I'd feel comfortable taking him right now but we'll see what happens once everyone is with their NFL team.
This years WR class is really strong at top. There’s probably 4 WRs who would have been the dynasty WR1 last year. I think Bowers is the real deal. Better prospect than Pitts.

This years WR class is really strong at top. There’s probably 4 WRs who would have been the dynasty WR1 last year. I think Bowers is the real deal. Better prospect than Pitts.
Can someone explain what separates MHJr. from Nabers/Coleman/Odunze?

Route running, agility, body control. The others are very good. MH could be better than his dad. I don’t think Coleman is equal to Nabers or Odunze but he could be a lesser Mike Evans. (Which obviously is really good)

If you want to have 1 knock on Odunze, it's that he's a 4th year player. To me that extra year of physical and mental growth is significant when we are trying to separate great players. I guess the thing separating MJH and Nabers is size. Now it's all speculation and the combine will set us straight but Nabers seems like he's probably 6 to 6'1" and maybe 185. MJH is 6'3" 205. Now the question could be, does that even matter anymore in today's NFL? As for Coleman, he has the size and plays like an NBA player out there but it seems like more a splash play guy and not always a consistent threat. He only has 640 yards this season which is barely more than teammate Johnny Wilson despite having played in 2 more games than Wilson.

But I think those guys are all excellent NFL prospects and make for a really strong WR dynasty class.

Nabers is a little smaller, but I think he could be more explosive than Harrison. LSU pedigree.

I don’t see Fitz or Calvin with MHJr.

Nabers is a little smaller, but I think he could be more explosive than Harrison. LSU pedigree.

I bet if push comes to shove you wouldn’t have the balls to the Nabers over Harrison.
If I decided I liked Nabers better I’d trade the pick.

The consensus isn’t always right. I’m sure there’s a Robinson owner or two that wishes they’d taken Gibbs.

I bet if push comes to shove you wouldn’t have the balls to the Nabers over Harrison.
If I decided I liked Nabers better I’d trade the pick.

The consensus isn’t always right. I’m sure there’s a Robinson owner or two that wishes they’d taken Gibbs.
I’d rather have Robinson and wouldn’t think twice about it.

I might be a little concerned if MHJr. goes to Arizona or Chicago and those teams kept their current QBs.

As a technical route runner Murray and Fields’ inability to play on time/schedule would be potentially detrimental to Harrison’s production.

I might be a little concerned if MHJr. goes to Arizona or Chicago and those teams kept their current QBs.

As a technical route runner Murray and Fields’ inability to play on time/schedule would be potentially detrimental to Harrison’s production.
Well, gotta figure at some point in the next 10-11 years those teams won't continue to roll with that, but who knows.
He'd still produce well enough to be usedul

Anyone not draft Breece because he went to the Jets? Probably should not have.

RB situation is the one where you don't wanna be patient.

Anyone not draft Breece because he went to the Jets? Probably should not have.

RB situation is the one where you don't wanna be patient.
Hall looks like a fine pick. He got hurt. Also, jets QB will be better next year no matter what.
Who you prefer, London?

Hall looks like a fine pick. He got hurt. Also, jets QB will be better next year no matter what.
Who you prefer, London?
I am not making the argument that Breece was a bad pick.

My point is that a bad situation is much worse for RBs, because when they are 26, you are trying to sell. So multiple years of a bad situation is terrible for a dynasty owner at RB. and at the end of it all, London might be a much better dynasty pick than Breece.

Who you prefer, London?

My point is that a bad situation is much worse for RBs, because when they are 26, you are trying to sell. So multiple years of a bad situation is terrible for a dynasty owner at RB. and at the end of it all, London might be a much better dynasty pick than Breece.
I agree with what you are saying as far as the best years of their careers being when they are on their first contract, so the situation they are drafted into matters a bit more than it does with a WR, who's peak years will extend into their second contract, even with another team more.

I would particularly focus on the quality of the teams offensive line in regards to the fit or situation. Then what other RBs that team has who might time share with them or hold them back for awhile getting full opportunity.

Another thing to consider is if the RB is more of a zone or gap blocking style RB and if that fits the teams scheme that drafted them. Teams should draft RB who fit their system, but sometimes they dont.

That said good RB are good somewhat independent of the team. They don't necessarily need their team to be good or to have good QB play to be good themselves.

Whereas the success of a WR is more tied to the quality of their QB play and team philosophy somewhat. So situation does matter for them also. It's just different parts that matter more.

Who you prefer, London?

I agree with what you are saying as far as the best years of their careers being when they are on their first contract, so the situation they are drafted into matters a bit more than it does with a WR, who's peak years will extend into their second contract, even with another team more.

I would particularly focus on the quality of the teams offensive line in regards to the fit or situation. Then what other RBs that team has who might time share with them or hold them back for awhile getting full opportunity.

Another thing to consider is if the RB is more of a zone or gap blocking style RB and if that fits the teams scheme that drafted them. Teams should draft RB who fit their system, but sometimes they dont.

That said good RB are good somewhat independent of the team. They don't necessarily need their team to be good or to have good QB play to be good themselves.

Whereas the success of a WR is more tied to the quality of their QB play and team philosophy somewhat. So situation does matter for them also. It's just different parts that matter more.
A crappy run blocking OL isn't good for a RB.

Who you prefer, London?

Yeah that was the first thing I mentioned to be concerned about.

It usually takes time for rookie offensive linemen to develop. Like 3 seasons sometimes before they are playing at their peak level.

The RBs first contract might be about over by then.

Sometimes teams can upgrade a lot with free agent linemen, but good offensive linemen often don't become free agents. Cohesiveness of offensive linemen playing together matters, so teams try to keep their linemen if they are doing a good job for the most part.

Team philosophies change. So the linemen they draft or sign in free agency may be focused more on pass blocking if that is what the coaches of that team wants their linemen to do and vice versa. So this is related to the blocking scheme of the coaches and the players they acquire.

While I think the Vikings offensive line has improved from what it once was due to some of their draft picks developing into good players now, that has taken awhile and with the GM and coaching change they are more focused on linemen who can pass protect now whereas before they were a running team and the linemen they were acquiring was more for a priority on run blocking than it is now.

While most teams are more focused on zone blocking schemes in the NFL right now, not all of them are and some teams still want to mix in gap blocking more than others. This requires different kinds of offensive linemen for the different schemes, so if the scheme changes there will be a transitional period in the types of linemen the team acquires to fit the scheme they want to run.

So these things are all somewhat tied together.

Last edited:
Who you prefer, London?

That line stood out to me.

Who you prefer, London?

I added to my post in regards to this.

That line was more in reference to the overall quality of the team and how much they win and not so much about the quality of the offensive line play and team philosophy, as far as if they want to be a running team or not.

Also somewhat related to if the team has RBBC tendencies or not. A good RB can get the team to not split carries as much as they would with some lesser RBs.

Last edited:
Who you prefer, London?

To give a most extreme example Adrian Peterson on a Christian Ponder led team.

CMC on an otherwise lackluster Panthers team.

the #1 pick in dynasty is not always about top talent, but supply/demand and the landing spot matter.
I completely disagree with this approach. Rookie drafts are a crap shoot. You want to give yourself the best chance of getting a starter with that pick and it it doesn't matter where your depth is if you don't hit on a starter. I would much rather take a higher talented player that I thought was more likely to hit than a lesser talent at a position of need that is less likely to hit. If I hit with the player at a position I am strong in that still has value. It's all about hitting on the player and talent is your best chance of hitting.

the #1 pick in dynasty is not always about top talent, but supply/demand and the landing spot matter.
I completely disagree with this approach. Rookie drafts are a crap shoot. You want to give yourself the best chance of getting a starter with that pick and it it doesn't matter where your depth is if you don't hit on a starter. I would much rather take a higher talented player that I thought was more likely to hit than a lesser talent at a position of need that is less likely to hit. If I hit with the player at a position I am strong in that still has value. It's all about hitting on the player and talent is your best chance of hitting.
We can agree to disagree. To my earlier point, if there is only one stud RB in this rookie class (let's say he'd rate a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1-10) and Marvin H Jr is sitting there as the top WR (a golden 9-10 prospect) but there are a dozen WRs behind him that are a tier below, supply and demand may compel me to take the RB. I'm not saying this is the case for the upcoming year but it does look to have deep quality at WR and not as much at RB as some prior years, this may be a good example of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
We can agree to disagree. To my earlier point, if there is only one stud RB in this rookie class (let's say he'd rate a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1-10) and Marvin H Jr is sitting there as the top WR (a golden 9-10 prospect) but there are a dozen WRs behind him that are a tier below, supply and demand may compel me to take the RB. I'm not saying this is the case for the upcoming year but it does look to have deep quality at WR and not as much at RB as some prior years, this may be a good example of what I'm talking about.
If there is 15 great WR prospects and only one good RB prospect, I'm still taking the WR.

Situations change in fantasy even faster than I'm reality. Players emerge, suck, you hit on a waiver guy, make a trade.........

Isn't the subtext of this question: is there a college RB coming out who could be more valuable in fantasy than Marvin H Jr? I don't know college football well enough to know that answer but the #1 pick in dynasty is not always about top talent, but supply/demand and the landing spot matter. Since I don't know that answer, I assume Marvin is the presumptive 1.01 in dynasty but it wouldn't shock me if a good-to-great RB came out and, if it's a thin class, the case could be made to pick that guy first.
This is the opposite strategy I would suggest to anyone in dynasty.

I saw a few weeks Dane Brugler speculate this could be the first draft class since 2014 that no RB's are selected in the top 50 picks. That year the top RB drafted was Bishop Stankey in what was quite possibly the best WR class of all time. I made the mistake you are referencing here and I'd go so far as to say your thought process was very similar to mine. I took Sankey at 2 or 3 overall for all the reasons you said. I even made it worse by taking Ebron really early in TE premium leagues for again the same reasons. I was in my first few years of doing dynasty back then and that Sankey pick in particular broke my spirits so much I wondered if I might just suck and need to find a new hobby.

Don't pick this years Sankey over a Marvin Harrison, Nabers, Coleman, etc,etc.,

Last edited:

Ryan Mathews is that the top of my mind as I took him 1.1. He was supposed to pick up right where Tomlinson left off.

Let's play a hypothetical game:

if Nabers ends up in a place like..... Buffalo (and diggs bails) and Harrison ends up in Carolina/Giants/NE/TEN.....

Who you taking at #1? If this is still an easy call for you, I don't think you know Nabers.

Ryan Mathews is that the top of my mind as I took him 1.1. He was supposed to pick up right where Tomlinson left off.

I feel that one

Looking at what MHJr does before and after catching the ball and knowing where the NFL is headed in the next 3-5 years, he's a slam-dunk 1.01 rookie pick for me, maybe in both typical formats AND superflex. I mean, Caleb Williams and/or Drake Maye could be considered in the right spot(s) at 1.01/1.02 in SF, but man, MHJr is special and is going to dominate. He's got some A.J. Green (as others have said) but I've also heard some Randy Moss comps. I am in the running for the #1 in a couple of my dynasty leagues and hoping like heck I get the pick because it'd be a no-brainer for me.

if Nabers ends up in a place like..... Buffalo (and diggs bails) and Harrison ends up in Carolina/Giants/NE/TEN.....

Who you taking at #1? If this is still an easy call for you, I don't think you know Nabers.
the Bears have Carolina’s 1st.

Keyshawn Johnson was the first overall NFL draft pick in 1996. He had a good but unspectacular fantasy career. The RB class was terrible that year, by the way, and in an odd confluence, a later-selected WR (but still in the first round) was the strongest fantasy performer of the lot. That young man was Marvin Harrison Sr.

What if the Bears go Caleb Williams/Maye, then MHjr? On 11/28/23, I cannot imagine a situation where I would not draft Harrison 1.1.

What if the Bears go Caleb Williams/Maye, then MHjr? On 11/28/23, I cannot imagine a situation where I would not draft Harrison 1.1.
They currently have the #4 pick, I don't see Arizona passing on MHJr at #2 with the one exception being if a QB needy team offers a fortune to move up for the leftover out of Caleb/Maye. But then you'd have to worry about NE taking MHJr.

I’ll take Harrison in TEN. But I’m delusional and think Levis would be good for him. But really Carolina isn’t plausible and Tennessee needs to address OL first.

cannot imagine a situation where I would not draft Harrison 1.1.
SF, I’m not taking Harrison 1.
Any other league, yep.
I’m currently sitting at the 2 and 3 in a league where every player is available twice. If I stay there after this upcoming week (last week of the season) I’m almost automatically taking MHJ and Nabers.

Users who are viewing this thread