What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available? (1 Viewer)

Will you get a Covid vaccine when available?

• Yes, as soon as it comes out

Votes: 236 55.4%
  • Yes, but not for a while until some time passes

Votes: 93 21.8%
  • No, I don't think it will be safe

Votes: 19 4.5%
  • No, I don't think it will be effective

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • No, I already had Covid

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Unsure, but leaning yes

Votes: 32 7.5%
  • Unsure, but leaning no

Votes: 28 6.6%

• Total voters
Walgreen’s is a good option too and maybe Publix. If i were eligible right now, they have appointments nearby. I registered through Hillsborough County’s    provider here besides the state (twice). It said there were no appointments the other day in Hillsborough, but I’m sure that will change on Monday. 
Looks like I was able to make an appt for Thurs morning at Ed Radice.

I think Mrs. O just got a call from some sketchy person from the State asking her if she wanted a vaccine. She’ll try Walgreen’s with me Monday morning. 

ETA: I am wondering why I haven’t been contacted by the state yet. In general, for any state, do counties coordinate with the state and know I made appointments through the county or vice versa?

Last edited by a moderator:
matuski said:
This judgy mcjudgeface act is past time to be put to bed.  I just documented the information, care to backtrack on that accusation? @DallasDMac
This was on the KABB news last night. Not exactly sure what I am supposed to backtrack on?

This was on the KABB news last night. Not exactly sure what I am supposed to backtrack on?
Your accusations towards me... the misinformation and having some nefarious agenda part?  It would seem in fact your information could be misleading as presented.

Kinda weird to go at someone like that over encouraging people to not wait on vaccination.

But judge away - you watched the news.

bcat01 said:
Got the J&J shot 2hrs ago.  Medium injection site pain for about 30 minutes.  No other side effects so far.
Wife ended up with a 102.9 fever about 5 hrs after shot.  She had severe chills and body ache.  Fever is gone today, but she feels like she was hit by a truck.  She says every inch of her body hurts.

The Z Machine said:
Are you certain this is the case? If so, why is this?
Nope, not certain.  I read it in an article (can't recall which) a couple of weeks ago.  

Others are saying that TX is fairly easy now to get vaccinated.  Have to agree.  You just have to put in a bit of effort and perhaps be willing to drive an hour or two.  Every time I check the CVS website, there's availability in the smaller towns.  

Just checked again right now, and there's even availability in Arlington (where I live).  That's no small town.

ETA:

This site shows dose allocation by county.  Just a quick check shows that Angelina county got 2,000 doses this week.  That's one dose for every 43 people in that county.

Tarrant county (where I live) got 15,180 doses.  That's one dose for every 138 people in the county.

So with my brief sampling, the rural counties are getting more doses per head than the urban ones.

ETA2:  Checked another.  Aransas county 1 in 20.

caustic said:
24 hours later, the lung burning is back and I’m getting easily winded. Neither is very severe, but it makes me wonder if I’ve been infected in the past without knowing it. Definitely wasn’t expecting shot #1 to be like this.
Quite possible. Nurse told me infected people had a tougher time with first shot. Opposite for non-affected. 

jobarules said:
2nd shot this morning at 10am. Nurse said I hope you're not busy today. I dont think she was hitting on me. Unfortunately my son has 2 baseball games today so I'm hoping any effects happen at night.
Maybe it was a roofie?

culdeus said:
I have a few questions, at the end of my shot they put stickers on my card, but there's literally no evidence other than that card and those stickers that I've had the shots.  If there is to be restrictions on travel and whatever how will this be enforced? I feel like I could or someone could easily make fake cards without any trouble whatsoever.  

I gave all my name and everything tied to a QR code and all that with the county, but there's no indication they plan or have infrastructure to pass that information on to my Dr. or perhaps HHS for some sort of travel pass, or as a passport stamp or something.
This is just me, but I can chime in on both of these.

First of all, I did not get a card at all when I went in for my first shot.  They told us they aren't giving those out until we get shot #2.  The reason why that's feasible is because the mass vaccination event that I went to for shot #1 included automatic, mandatory registration at a second event coming up in a couple of weeks for shot #2.  In principle, the exact same people should show up for both, at the same time of day even. 

I am super-skeptical that vaccination cards are going to be used for anything going forward.  I'm not opposed to that, just that the logistical issues that you mentioned really reduce their usefulness for anything serious.

Second, as luck would have it my doctor retired and I just went in yesterday to see my new doctor for an routine physical and start-of-care appointment.  My first shot was in their system.  I could see something enforceable coming from honest-to-goodness medical records, maybe.

About 5 hrs post shot #1 arm is sore, but not bad. I'm kind of tired but not sure if that is due to the shot or sleeping on the couch all week to avoid the wife. She had a cold (tested negative for covid on Sunday) and I wasnt going to let her mess up my chance at my first round of shots. :lol:

So I got a call from the State (FL) for a vaccine. I get through all the questions, she puts me on hold, comes back, and tells me all times for this Tuesday were all gone since the call started. I was told someone would get back to me in a day or two. Lol. WTH? No coordination whatsoever has been verified. 

Got my second Pfizer shot this morning.  Went for  a 6 mile walk an hour after the shot.  Feel completely normal at the moment.  My arm was sore for about 10 hours after shot #1, so I’m awaiting that.  

ChiefD said:
Similiar. Got shot one of Moderna on Wednesday. Felt pretty good so I went for a 4 mile run. Was halfway through dinner and Bam! - I need to go to bed right now. At 7:30.

Really sore arm Thursday. Haven’t really felt right since. I did throw down 50 bags of mulch yesterday, so that may have something to do with it.
my arm was sore as hell until mid-day yesterday and i just started feeling normal again around dinner last night.

Wife got the J&J yesterday, Friday 27th, at 8:30 am, I got the J&J same day at 1:30 pm

Wife had no issues with the injection site or muscle soreness. Saturday she was groggy and had a headache. Trooper that she is, still took care of her spring cleaning goals. She's a tough cookie

I've had no side effects, fortunately. Tomorrow may be a different story, but I can't complain about anything at this time.

Thanks to all the folks that made this happen.

I feel like this the expectation of feeling like #### after the second shot is getting blown out of proportion.  Most people are fine.
I'd say it's 50/50 from the people I know. Right now 12+ hours for me. I'm hoping nothing tonight.

I'd say it's 50/50 from the people I know. Right now 12+ hours for me. I'm hoping nothing tonight.
I’d say from my experience, it’s about 25% who get hit hard from either dose of the Moderna. A bad first dose is usually in people who had COVID. Most people are not getting much more than a sore arm and minor exhaustion.

I keep checking CVS and Walgreen’s for appointments through Thursday. Looks like CVS does Phizer on Mondays and Thursdays so tomorrow is the only day that works there for me (leaving town Thursday). Walgreen’s has Moderna appointments Tuesday and Wednesday near me. I think Walgreen’s is the best bet for me and Mrs. O. Just waiting for my eligibility to open at midnight. 

Moderna 2 update, last night had a fever break type moment, sweated out the sheets, etc.  Was I would say 85% yesterday but 100% today.  

So when can I start licking doorknobs?

Moderna 2 update, last night had a fever break type moment, sweated out the sheets, etc.  Was I would say 85% yesterday but 100% today.  

So when can I start licking doorknobs?
2 weeks.  I’m a germaphobe and can’t imagine ever licking a doorknob.  🤢

Wife ended up with a 102.9 fever about 5 hrs after shot.  She had severe chills and body ache.  Fever is gone today, but she feels like she was hit by a truck.  She says every inch of her body hurts.
Wife is worse today.  No fever, but she still has body aches and now has nausea.  She is also dizzy.  

Probably should change the title of this thread to "Report you side effects from the COVID Shot"  :P

Over 24 hours from shot #1 Moderna for me now. Last night my arm hurt pretty bad and I was generally achy (knees were killing me, have bad ones). Today feel normal. Arm only mildly hurts when I lift it high enough. Going to install a overhead racking system in my garage this afternoon. Wouldn't do that if the pain with my arms over my head was really bad. 

Totally worth it. I'm now am scouring the sign up sites for a J&J shot for my wife. 

I’d say from my experience, it’s about 25% who get hit hard from either dose of the Moderna. A bad first dose is usually in people who had COVID. Most people are not getting much more than a sore arm and minor exhaustion.
My daughter had her first shot after having COVID way back in July. She said yesterday she felt worse than when she had COVID. I had warned her to be ready for it and not make plans. She was more pissed I was right than she was thankful for the advice.   :)

Walgreen’s just updated their database so FL 40+ opened for appointments. I scored a Moderna appointment Wednesday at 10:15 and Mrs. O at 10:30. Next appointment is 4/28. I just cut my travel time in half. 

This is just me, but I can chime in on both of these.

First of all, I did not get a card at all when I went in for my first shot.  They told us they aren't giving those out until we get shot #2.  The reason why that's feasible is because the mass vaccination event that I went to for shot #1 included automatic, mandatory registration at a second event coming up in a couple of weeks for shot #2.  In principle, the exact same people should show up for both, at the same time of day even. 

I am super-skeptical that vaccination cards are going to be used for anything going forward.  I'm not opposed to that, just that the logistical issues that you mentioned really reduce their usefulness for anything serious.

Second, as luck would have it my doctor retired and I just went in yesterday to see my new doctor for an routine physical and start-of-care appointment.  My first shot was in their system.  I could see something enforceable coming from honest-to-goodness medical records, maybe.
NYS is instituting the "Excelsior Pass" which is an app with a QR barcode that you will have to scan to prove you have ben vaccinated. Right now they say it will only be used at large venues like sports and theaters, but I do not doubt that it will soon become mandatory for places like restaurants and shopping, and yes, travel. 

As a NY'er and someone who is choosing not to get the vax right now I am very pissed about this. Yes, going to a sporting event is something that is a luxury, but this is a form of discrimination. It is a "well you can sit home and watch everyone have fun......orrrrr got get the shot." To me that is not a fair trade off...its a gov't shake down over a shot that is only still approved for emergency use. 

If you got the shot and feel comfortable with it, thats your choice, but the gov't holding events and daily luxuries hostage for those of us who don't feel comfortable with the shot is goes fully against our rights to choose. 

NYS is instituting the "Excelsior Pass" which is an app with a QR barcode that you will have to scan to prove you have ben vaccinated. Right now they say it will only be used at large venues like sports and theaters, but I do not doubt that it will soon become mandatory for places like restaurants and shopping, and yes, travel. 

As a NY'er and someone who is choosing not to get the vax right now I am very pissed about this. Yes, going to a sporting event is something that is a luxury, but this is a form of discrimination. It is a "well you can sit home and watch everyone have fun......orrrrr got get the shot." To me that is not a fair trade off...its a gov't shake down over a shot that is only still approved for emergency use. 

If you got the shot and feel comfortable with it, thats your choice, but the gov't holding events and daily luxuries hostage for those of us who don't feel comfortable with the shot is goes fully against our rights to choose. 
No. It’s the greatest public health crisis of our lifetime and hundreds of thousands have died. If you don’t want it for whatever reason (it’s extremely safe but you probably know that) then you should be told to stay back. That’s the trade-off. Zero sympathy for anybody refusing the shot at all. 

Fully supportive of this approach.  If I'm going to a large venue, I would like to ensure that others are vaccinated as well.

Same thing as not wanting unvaccinated kids (measels, etc) at school.  

I appreciate that it's your choice to not get the vaccine, but then it's also your choice to not go to events which require a vaccine.  Same as masks.  No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no vaccine, no service.

@Capella and @Zasada

trying to keep the conversation civil, from what I know, the vaccine only helps reduce your symptoms if you got it. It does not stop you from getting Covid or spreading it. So if thats the case, anyone in those venues could still give covid to you, it just that if they did, you would not get as sick if you got it. 

So why would it mater if I was vaccinated or not? I would be the one taking the risk. 

but to individual points:

Capella: I dont know if it is safe. If I knew it was safe, I wouldn't think 2x about taking it. Again, its approved for emergency use, no long term studies have been done and the fact that the manufacturers cannot be held liable for future side effects worries me. I dont want to be calling an 800 number in 5 years after seeing a commercial saying" if you had the covid vax and your arm fell off, call...".

Zas: Yes, its my choice to go to large venues, and I'm ok with that. But what about when this is required at the supermarket, or a restaurant? What about a family event? does anyone think this will only be for large events? Again, going on my thoughts above that the Vax only really protects me, why would my being there be a threat to anyone else? 

Also to your measles vax comment. I am not anti-vax. My kids are vaxed agaisnt all of those (except my daughter who medically cant be). But those have been around for years and well tested over generations. 

You do realize it also shows a negative covid test result as well as a vaccination, don't you?

Personally I wouldn't care if it was only for a vaccination, but if you're complaining about having to either be vaccinated or show proof of a negative test in order to enter a huge venue full of people, sorry, I have zero sympathy for that. I hope (and expect) that will be common for lots of things like restaurants and travel as well.

@Capella and @Zasada

trying to keep the conversation civil, from what I know, the vaccine only helps reduce your symptoms if you got it. It does not stop you from getting Covid or spreading it. So if thats the case, anyone in those venues could still give covid to you, it just that if they did, you would not get as sick if you got it. 

So why would it mater if I was vaccinated or not? I would be the one taking the risk. 
Probably because the goal is to limit the number of people getting very sick and/or dying. People that end up in the hospital end up putting a drain on resources for everyone. I guess it is kind of like seat belt laws. Not wearing a seat belt mostly only puts you at risk, but if you end up needing EMS and hospital resources unnecessarily, it is no long just the individual's problem.

:shrug:

@Capella and @Zasada

Thanks for trying to keep this cool.  I will try the same!

The science is still unclear on this.  So I feel more comfortable if all involved in a gathering are vaccinated.  Even for my own health/safety, and that of my wife's.  

The part I am more sure about, is that for society to reach herd immunity, we need everyone getting vaccinated.  Much like the measles vaccine.  Parents choosing to not get their kids vaccinated, is, in theory, just their risk.  But then we have measles outbreaks, which are no good for society.  And could infect a child or person who couldn't get the vaccine for some medical reason. 

I see COVID the same way.  The faster everyone gets vaccinated, the faster society gets through this.  

Probably because the goal is to limit the number of people getting very sick and/or dying. People that end up in the hospital end up putting a drain on resources for everyone. I guess it is kind of like seat belt lives. Not wearing a seat belt mostly only puts you at risk, but if you end up needing EMS and hospital resources unnecessarily, it is no long just the individual's problem.

:shrug:
I would get behind this line of thinking if we took this mindset with many other things that historically has caused more deaths and medical drain ....like smoking, or the epidemic of obesity.  

I would get behind this line of thinking if we took this mindset with many other things that historically has caused more deaths and medical drain ....like smoking, or the epidemic of obesity.  

This is a straw man argument. Obesity is not a contagious airborne disease. I fully respect and understand your right to not get vaccinated and you should in turn respect society’s decision to not want you in a crowded venue potentially spreading a disease. 

I know you’re a Disney fan - if you don’t think Disney is going to require this for entry once it’s readily available to everybody I don’t know what to tell you. 

You do realize it also shows a negative covid test result as well as a vaccination, don't you?

Personally I wouldn't care if it was only for a vaccination, but if you're complaining about having to either be vaccinated or show proof of a negative test in order to enter a huge venue full of people, sorry, I have zero sympathy for that. I hope (and expect) that will be common for lots of things like restaurants and travel as well.
I get what you are saying, esp right now. Going to a game is a luxury and one that I can live without in the short term. But if I know gov't things like this don't just stay at large events, they will trickle down to normal everyday things like supermarkets and going to a restaurant. And they don't just go away....if instituted we will be showing "our code" for everything for a very long time. 

Yes I get that it shows a neg test, and I'm cool with that if I'm gonig on vacation or something liek that. But unless they come out with a home covid test it would be hard to get one each time you walked out the door. 

@Capella and @Zasada

but to individual points:

Capella: I dont know if it is safe. If I knew it was safe, I wouldn't think 2x about taking it. Again, its approved for emergency use, no long term studies have been done and the fact that the manufacturers cannot be held liable for future side effects worries me. I dont want to be calling an 800 number in 5 years after seeing a commercial saying" if you had the covid vax and your arm fell off, call...".

Zas: Yes, its my choice to go to large venues, and I'm ok with that. But what about when this is required at the supermarket, or a restaurant? What about a family event? does anyone think this will only be for large events? Again, going on my thoughts above that the Vax only really protects me, why would my being there be a threat to anyone else? 

Also to your measles vax comment. I am not anti-vax. My kids are vaxed agaisnt all of those (except my daughter who medically cant be). But those have been around for years and well tested over generations. 

With vaccines they almost always know within 3 months what the side effects are. I don’t have the time to regurgitate all of it right now but there is tons tons of literature out there speaking to the safety of these vaccines. It’s not going to be an issue where you grow a tail 5 years from now. And from a public health standpoint the dangers of covid outweigh any potential vax side effects by a hilariously large amount. 

Also yes you are taking the risk but maybe my kid is there and they can’t get the shot yet. So you are potentially putting them at risk. 

It is easier to coordinate and police someone wear a seatbelt or have a vaccination. Not sure how you would do the same with obesity.

This is a straw man argument. Obesity is not a contagious airborne disease. I fully respect and understand your right to not get vaccinated and you should in turn respect society’s decision to not want you in a crowded venue potentially spreading a disease. 

I know you’re a Disney fan - if you don’t think Disney is going to require this for entry once it’s readily available to everybody I don’t know what to tell you. 
this is my question that no one can answer though. From what I have read, even if vax'ed you can still catch and spread covid. So how is there a difference between non-vaxed and vaxed people spreading it? 

and yes, I fully expect Disney to use this. However its interesting as so far no major outbreaks (that I know of) have been linked to Disney without using any type of vax proof. 

this is my question that no one can answer though. From what I have read, even if vax'ed you can still catch and spread covid. So how is there a difference between non-vaxed and vaxed people spreading it? 

and yes, I fully expect Disney to use this. However its interesting as so far no major outbreaks (that I know of) have been linked to Disney without using any type of vax proof. 
We don't have enough data to give conclusive numbers but vaccinated people will be way way less likely to spread COVID. 

This talking point is getting nauseous. It's driven by russian bots and right wing agitators to sow an anti vax agenda.  

There is enough evidence now to say that the effective level flows two ways.  Both for spread and contagion.  In that way you likely can put an exponent on the effectiveness where two people whom are vaxxed come into contact where one is + and spreading.  

https://www.nextgov.com/ideas/2021/03/can-vaccinated-people-still-spread-coronavirus/172371/

1. Does vaccination completely prevent infection?

The short answer is no. You can still get infected after you’ve been vaccinated. But your chances of getting seriously ill are almost zero.

Many people think vaccines work like a shield, blocking a virus from infecting cells altogether. But in most cases, a person who gets vaccinated is protected from disease, not necessarily infection.
2. Does infection always mean transmission?

Transmission happens when enough viral particles from an infected person get into the body of an uninfected person. In theory, anyone infected with the coronavirus could potentially transmit it. But a vaccine will reduce the chance of this happening.

In general, if vaccination doesn’t completely prevent infection, it will significantly reduce the amount of virus coming out of your nose and mouth – a process called shedding – and shorten the time that you shed the virus. 
However, researchers don’t yet know where that cutoff is for the coronavirus, and since the vaccines don’t provide 100% protection from infection,

Users who are viewing this thread