What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Winning the NIT (1 Viewer)

Winning the NIT is equivalent to...

• Winning the NCAA tournament

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Final 4

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Sweet 16

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Losing in the 2nd round

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Making the tourney, losing in the 1st round

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Nothing, it's worthless

Votes: 31 39.7%

• Total voters

-OZ-

Footballguy
Just wondering.

As I wrote in another thread:

On one hand, you win a tournament.

OTOH, you're the 66th best team in college basketball.

:unsure:

Useless.

That said, I'd rather my team win their conference tournament and go out in the first round than make it to the Final Four and lose. Just my opinion, though.

Winning it all? I imagine the extra 3 weeks of practice and building on *some* post-season success is a decent thing. Maybe better than losing in the 1st-round of the tourney.

Somebody made a point the other day that if you're in the first set of Thursday games and you lose, it probably feels like you weren't in the dance at all. So I guess it would be better than that, at least.

Useless.

That said, I'd rather my team win their conference tournament and go out in the first round than make it to the Final Four and lose. Just my opinion, though.
Sweet! you can have this year's Jayhawks. ;) I'm thinking sweet 16 myself. Extra practice, a little momentum, some added national exposure, never hurts.

Say Michigan wins the NIT. Would you rather be Seton Hall, who got slammed on the Thursday noon game and absolutely nobody remembers being in this thing, or the Wolverines?

Null. Depends on the team. If Louisville wins = useless. If Missouri State wins = credibility, shows the NCAA their RPI was not "fixed."

Say Michigan wins the NIT. Would you rather be Seton Hall, who got slammed on the Thursday noon game and absolutely nobody remembers being in this thing, or the Wolverines?
Seton Hall.To paraphrase a popular internet photo, winning the NIT is like winning a gold medal in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still ######ed.

I can tell you as a South Carolina fan that I enjoyed winning the NIT and the exposure associated with it last year. I enjoyed it much better than the feeling of USC being a #2 seed and losing in the first round, or the next year being a #3 seed and losing in the first round and the exposure associated with that.

Seton Hall.To paraphrase a popular internet photo, winning the NIT is like winning a gold medal in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still ######ed.
What benefits did Seton Hall get out of losing in the first round of the tourney? :confused: That's just as useless, if not more.

Winning the NIT is better than getting killed in the 1st round of the NCAA as a 13th or lower seed.

You get to cut down nets, put something in the media guide, have warm fuzzies, etc.

But if I was a coach and was told I could either win the NIT or have a chance in the Big Dance, I would take the Big Dance everytime. You win just one game there and play well in the second one (Texas A&M is a perfect example), that will do much more for your program than winning the NIT.

null vote.

Better than "useless" but not = to the big dance.

Real world practice is useful to the underclassmen.

I am at a hotel bar and the Stanford vs Vanderbilt game is on in the background and if there are more than 500 people in the audience I'd be shocked

Just end this stupid thing

I know this pole is a million years old, but it doesn't equate to any of the options listed. It's a nice little boost for the school, but outside of the folks inside the basketball program, nobody cares.

Nobody cares about the NIT. Now pretend you're the CBI. There must be six people at those games. Colorado's star player refused to travel with the rest of his team to play in that garbage.

I always thought that an NIT Championship was generally the product of a committee oversight, and the team that wins it could have likely made the Sweet Sixteen, so I went with that. Does it have the cachet of the 16? No. But generally the team that wins the NIT easily could have beaten two opponents to get there in the NCAAs.

I'd like to think it solidifies a team at least in the top twenty-five at the end of the year. When you're playing for nothing against other top 50 teams, and you make it all the way, it's got to count for something. Maybe one of our resident kenpom analytic heads can give us the final rankings of NIT winners. I'm seeing from 18-56, with an estimated average of 35.

All I know is that South Carolina seems to have gotten hosed in 2005 and 2006. Yikes. You win that thing twice and don't go to the dance? B.S.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question would be whether winning the NIT is better or the same as winning s minor bowl game in mid December. Nobody outside of the true die hard fans and players remember, watch or care.

Another question would be whether winning the NIT is better or the same as winning s minor bowl game in mid December. Nobody outside of the true die hard fans and players remember, watch or care.
This is basically what it is. A bowl game outside of the Championship (now playoff) Bowls. School gets some money. Kids keep playing for a little bit longer.

First off, the 66th best team is nonsense. There are plenty of teams that dont make the big dance that would have little trouble beating some of the automatic bids that get in. Anymways, onto the question; Winning the NIT is a nice building block if you are a smaller program or a new coach coming into a team. If you dont build off it (like the Gophers this year) its pretty meaningless for the program overall.

Kind of depends on the situation.

If Murray St wins it and runs through people in an effort to prove they should have been in the tourney, I imagine they would feel pretty darn good. The school should be happy too since for them sweet 16 appearances aren't a common thing.

If Stanford wins it, it really wont matter much to that program.

I used to think winning the NIT was a good thing for a program - a stepping stone of sorts. It helps to build a winning mentality at any program. But with less player and coach continuity, I am not sure it means much - the team is assuredly better than the bottom tier of the NCAA tourney teams, so I don't buy the notion of being the 65th 69th best team for winning the NIT.

I don't know why anyone would say that it's ridiculous and useless just because they don't care about it. I like watching my favorite teams play and win. Plus they're college kids playing the sport they love in a fun tournament format. Who gives a #### how many people are watching it at a bar or whether it proves you should have been in the tournament or whatever?

That said, obviously the stakes make certain wins more exciting than others. I'd rather have my favorite team win the NIT then make the big tournament and lose in the first round, but after that I think I'd get more out of a single NCAA win than 5 NIT wins, although it's kinda close. Two NCAA wins- no contest.

Raider Nation said:
Nobody cares about the NIT. Now pretend you're the CBI. There must be six people at those games. Colorado's star player refused to travel with the rest of his team to play in that garbage.
I think it depends on the program. My school, one of the smallest 1A schools, is in the semis of the CBI and has a home game. I will be there, and we are expecting a big crowd. If we win, we'll have a home game in the championship series as well and I'll definitely be at that one too. :shrug:

Raider Nation said:
I think it depends on the program. My school, one of the smallest 1A schools, is in the semis of the CBI and has a home game. I will be there, and we are expecting a big crowd. If we win, we'll have a home game in the championship series as well and I'll definitely be at that one too. :shrug:
Sorry, no. You're not allowed to enjoy watching (or playing) college sports unless total strangers think the game is important. Please alert your alma mater so everyone can adjust their behavior accordingly.

Raider Nation said:
Sorry, no. You're not allowed to enjoy watching (or playing) college sports unless total strangers think the game is important. Please alert your alma mater so everyone can adjust their behavior accordingly.
can I watch on ESPN3? Or at least close my eyes and listen??

I wouldn't say an NIT championship for UConn now would be that big of a deal, but back when we won it in 1988, it definitely seemed to be a stepping stone to making it into the NCAAs and doing well. I can't say for a fact that we got an extra recruit or the experience got Calhoun an extra level of coaching, but around UConn back then it was a big deal because they weren't a competitor in the Big East before that. 1990 they won their first Big East tourney and made the Elite Eight. For a young coach at a program in a big conference, it could be a nice stepping stone for the program like Calhoun. Unfortunately, for a young coach at a mid major, it is likely a stepping stone to a new job, so it doesn't help the program quite as much.

Raider Nation said:
Wow, I've seen the light. I'll be hosting a huge party for weeks in honor of this school I've never heard of featuring athletes I've never heard of in a game being shown on local cable.

Please stop by.

Raider Nation said:
Wow, I've seen the light. I'll be hosting a huge party for weeks in honor of this school I've never heard of featuring athletes I've never heard of in a game being shown on local cable.

Please stop by.
Cool. PM me the details.

Seriously- there's a significant gap between "I don't want to watch this" to "this is useless garbage." Why does it bother anyone if someone wants to host a college basketball tournament, and some kids want to play in it, and some fans want to enjoy rooting for their team for another week or two and maybe even savor a victory?

Raider Nation said:
Wow, I've seen the light. I'll be hosting a huge party for weeks in honor of this school I've never heard of featuring athletes I've never heard of in a game being shown on local cable.Please stop by.
Cool. PM me the details.

Seriously- there's a significant gap between "I don't want to watch this" to "this is useless garbage." Why does it bother anyone if someone wants to host a college basketball tournament, and some kids want to play in it, and some fans want to enjoy rooting for their team for another week or two and maybe even savor a victory?
It's just all internet bravado.Did anybody here ever play high school baseball/football or even little league? Why? Just for the right to say you're the 300th best team in the country even if you win state? You're just some loser from a loser team who I haven't heard of who won't make the pros anyways. #### you for competing at something you've worked hard at. IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME OR MY COUCH MAN

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread