What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

With my first pick in the FanEx draft I took Arian Foster (1 Viewer)

Four Horsemen

Footballguy
12-team PPR Experts League. http://football18.myfantasyleague.com/2011/options?L=40062&O=17&DISPLAY=CONFERENCE01

I was actually prepared to take Adrian Peterson when it was announced I was selecting Number One overall. I liked Peterson's track record better than Foster's one-year seuccess. Peterson has actually improved as a receiver the last couple of years. Foster's tweaked hamstring scared me a little.

I finally pulled the trigger on Foster because 1) PPR league and I still think he's going to be more involved in the passing game than Peterson. 2) I try not to overreact to preseason games, but Toby Gerhart looked a lot more impressive than last season and I could see him getting closer to Chester Taylor's production from two years ago, hurting Peterson's receiving numbers. 3) Vikes offensive line scares me. 4) I'm not sold on Donavan McNabb as a quarterback capable of putting together sustained drives anymore. 5) Being in Florida I saw a lot of Christian Ponder in college and he scares the hell out of me he ends up starting.

To me Foster is #1 and it is not even close. Foster is in a much better situation and not really sold on ADP being all that. A damn good back, but he needs a good team around him to produce.

12-team PPR Experts League. http://football18.myfantasyleague.com/2011/options?L=40062&O=17&DISPLAY=CONFERENCE01

I was actually prepared to take Adrian Peterson when it was announced I was selecting Number One overall. I liked Peterson's track record better than Foster's one-year seuccess. Peterson has actually improved as a receiver the last couple of years. Foster's tweaked hamstring scared me a little.

I finally pulled the trigger on Foster because 1) PPR league and I still think he's going to be more involved in the passing game than Peterson. 2) I try not to overreact to preseason games, but Toby Gerhart looked a lot more impressive than last season and I could see him getting closer to Chester Taylor's production from two years ago, hurting Peterson's receiving numbers. 3) Vikes offensive line scares me. 4) I'm not sold on Donavan McNabb as a quarterback capable of putting together sustained drives anymore. 5) Being in Florida I saw a lot of Christian Ponder in college and he scares the hell out of me he ends up starting.
Wow, you really messed up taking that bum Arian Foster. What were you thinking? Just kidding obviously. This is a re-draft league right? Not dynasty?

I guess I'm just old school in that I like the smaller risk potential involved with Peterson. Foster has more upside to be a beast again and drafting against those guys you'll need every advantage you can get so I can see taking the added risk. I'm in a dynasty league with several of the guys involved in FANEX. Keep your eye on Chris Rito. He'll snipe your sleepers. :D

I guess I'm just old school in that I like the smaller risk potential involved with Peterson. Foster has more upside to be a beast again and drafting against those guys you'll need every advantage you can get so I can see taking the added risk. I'm in a dynasty league with several of the guys involved in FANEX. Keep your eye on Chris Rito. He'll snipe your sleepers. :D
I agree with this. Peterson is the safer pick since he has proven he can carry the load and produce over a number of years. And at the same time Peterson can be just as beastly as Foster. Crnerblitz, what's the dynasty league called that you are in with those guys?

HUDL or Hickersons Ultimate Dynasty League. Been in bussiness since the mid 90's Several guys from fanex american and national leagues. TC Cannon was a menber till about 2005 i think.

I actually tried to get into this draft this year. I was put up for nomination but failed to garner enough votes. Always interesting to follow what the industry experts think. Lots of people have their picks set for pre-draft even several rounds ahead. Going to be hard to get value doing the draft that way in my opinion.

McNabb was never a QB known for putting together sustained drives. His lack of accuracy in the short-intermediate passing game, especially in the last 3-4 years, had made the Eagles primarily a big-play offense that couldn't control the clock.

Just a quick correction to the OP.

A.P. is the pick he is in his contract year and is playing for the money.
I don't agree that AP is the pick hands down without question. He has a very questionable offensive line (some are calling the line the worst in football) and Houston probably has the best line in the league, a better qb and much better other offensive weapons. The only thing that may hurt Foster is that Vonta Leach (the fullback) left for Baltimore. Does anyone know if Houston signed another fullback to replace him?

'Dez said:
What is the difference between this draft going on now and the draft held months ago where the 12 teams drated and had a big write up for the fanex analysis draft ?http://youthfantasyfootball.com/fanex/fad0111.htm
FAD - FanEx Analysis draft is a best-ball contest, with selection analisis posted. For several years, it was very popular to follow.
HUDL or Hickersons Ultimate Dynasty League. Been in bussiness since the mid 90's Several guys from fanex american and national leagues. TC Cannon was a menber till about 2005 i think.
True. HUDL is fine group.
I guess I'm just old school in that I like the smaller risk potential involved with Peterson.
Same here. I was happy with Mark's 1.01 Foster selection, because I has the 1.02 slot and Peterson.

Last edited by a moderator:
'jon_mx said:
To me Foster is #1 and it is not even close. Foster is in a much better situation and not really sold on ADP being all that. A damn good back, but he needs a good team around him to produce.
Wait. What? not sold? how so? :lmao:

'Four Horsemen said:

I don't think #1 is a valid reason as Peterson has been consistently more involved in the passing game every year and McNabb likes to throw the dump off pass. I also don't think #2 is a valid reason as AP will probably get the most carries of any RB this year. #3 is totally legit as the Vikings line is in the bottom 1/4 of the league. #4 is a wait and see thing. McNabb wasn't a fit w/ the Redskins, but has never had a problem moving the chains. #5 is a very real concern next year, but as long as McNabb is healthy I don't see Ponder starting any games. It's certainly possible if the Vikings are 3-8 after 11 games, but I think they're committed to McNabb for 2011. With that being said, I applaud your choice of Foster and think I'd make the same one. It's a little more high risk because of his limited resume, but both have roughly the same floor (if healthy) and I think Foster has a higher upside.

'eaglesfan7 said:
'Gopher State said:
I don't agree that AP is the pick hands down without question. He has a very questionable offensive line (some are calling the line the worst in football) and Houston probably has the best line in the league, a better qb and much better other offensive weapons. The only thing that may hurt Foster is that Vonta Leach (the fullback) left for Baltimore. Does anyone know if Houston signed another fullback to replace him?
Houston signed FB Lawrence Vickers to a two-year deal. While he's a downgrade from Leach, he's certainly a capable replacement.

'eaglesfan7 said:
'Gopher State said:
Houston signed FB Lawrence Vickers to a two-year deal. While he's a downgrade from Leach, he's certainly a capable replacement.
Vickers? Hmmm, okay good to know. Thanks.

Can't fault you for the pick, but I would have gone ADP.
I can't argue with anyone that would have taken ADP. The hamstring was already aggravated when I took him and there's no way you can realistically expect anyone to duplicate Foster's numbers from last year.Still, I stand behind my reasoning at the time for taking Foster first overall in a PPR league.

Users who are viewing this thread