What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wonderlic scores revisited... (1 Viewer)

Homer

Footballguy
Vince Young scored a 6???

Alex Smith a 40+?

Are there two more similar QB stories in all of the NFL?

Does the Wonderlic score mean ANYTHING?

I could probably get close to a 40 on the wonderlic. But I couldn't complete one pass out of 20 on a football field.

I don't think scoring high means much. There is a baseline level of intelligence required to play QB.

But I think a 6 might be a huge red flag......as Vince Young is showing.

If it wasn't deemed to be a tangible barometer, among many other factors, it wouldn't be continued to be a measuring stick.

Obviously, some put more credence into it than others. Buyer beware. Condolences to the Titans. They had their guy in their own back yard and blew it.

Oh boy, I was afraid someone would bring this pitiful subject up after the Vince Young news. There are many problems in reaching a rational conclusion, including the glaring fact that there are not enough scorers on the extreme low end to render a sufficient control group.

If it wasn't deemed to be a tangible barometer, among many other factors, it wouldn't be continued to be a measuring stick.
Flawed reasoning there. For example, most lawyers agree that the LSAT has nothing to do with skills that attorneys exhibit in practicing law; yet law schools ahere to the concept that the LSAT is a reasonable barometer. Are the vast majority of practicing attorneys wrong about the purported barometer just because the status quo has always admistered the exam?

I wouldn't say nothing, but it surely doesn't mean much. On the other hand, if you score a 6, a score the average 10 year old wouldn't have much trouble reaching, you're probably a mouth-breather, and too dumb to play QB. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, and apparently the Titans thought Young's athleticism would offset his lack of brains, but that was quite a gamble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marino, Dan 14Favre, Brett 22McNabb, Donovan 16, 12Means nothing...
Sure it does.As I said, "one of many" barometers.These guys had already displayed the skills in the passing game, and understanding of reading defenses.Vince Young displayed "nil."Peyton Manning didn't score all that well on this test either, but was there ever any question as to his mind for the game? No.During his college years (away from home) he didn't know how to open a can of soup and even tried to heat it up in the microwave, but you hand him a playbook and he can tell you exactly what's laid out.

Flawed reasoning there. For example, most lawyers agree that the LSAT has nothing to do with skills that attorneys exhibit in practicing law; yet law schools ahere to the concept that the LSAT is a reasonable barometer. Are the vast majority of practicing attorneys wrong about the purported barometer just because the status quo has always admistered the exam?
I'm just simply stating a fact there, counselor.

Sure it does.As I said, "one of many" barometers.These guys had already displayed the skills in the passing game, and understanding of reading defenses.Vince Young displayed "nil."Peyton Manning didn't score all that well on this test either, but was there ever any question as to his mind for the game? No.During his college years (away from home) he didn't know how to open a can of soup and even tried to heat it up in the microwave, but you hand him a playbook and he can tell you exactly what's laid out.
Umm... you just proved my point that it means nothing.

Umm... you just proved my point that it means nothing.
Just because you don't understand what it means doesn't mean it means nothing.Everything means something. If the wonderlik doesn't register football knowledge it needs to

Alex Smith is a genius! It takes a lot of effort to purposely get almost every question wrong and a lot of smarts to sign the test "Vince Young".

Notable High Scores:

Drew Henson 42

Alex Smith 40

Eli Manning 39

Tony Romo 37

Drew Bledsoe 36

Matt Leinart 35

Kellen Clemens 35

Tom Brady 33

John Beck 30

Philip Rivers 30

Brady Quinn 29

Drew Brees 28

Peyton Manning 28

Ryan Leaf 27

Ben Roethlisberger 25

Notable Low Scores:

Tarvaris Jackson 19

Derek Anderson 19

Vince Young 16

Dan Marino 15

Terry Bradshaw 15

Donovan McNabb 14

David Garrard 14

Kordell Stewart 13

Marcus Vick 11

Jeff George 10

Chris Leak 8*

http://cowboyblog.com/?p=1362

Dan Marino WAS dumb.

He had a lightning quick release. It was impossible to blitz him. Blitz him and he would throw TDs on you all day. But as Marino got older, he got more control over the offense and got to call audibles. And his audibles were absolutely terrible. Jimmy Johnson was kind of intimidated by Marino and worked around it by dumbing down the playbook so he couldn't audible to anything too damaging.

Notable High Scores:

Drew Henson 42

Alex Smith 40

Eli Manning 39

Tony Romo 37

Drew Bledsoe 36

Matt Leinart 35

Kellen Clemens 35

Tom Brady 33

John Beck 30

Philip Rivers 30

Brady Quinn 29

Drew Brees 28

Peyton Manning 28

Ryan Leaf 27

Ben Roethlisberger 25

Notable Low Scores:

Tarvaris Jackson 19

Derek Anderson 19

Vince Young 16

Dan Marino 15

Terry Bradshaw 15

Donovan McNabb 14

David Garrard 14

Kordell Stewart 13

Marcus Vick 11

Jeff George 10

Chris Leak 8*

http://cowboyblog.com/?p=1362
Based on these lists I would rather take my chances with the guys scoring over 25 rather than the guys scoring under 20. Besides Marino, Bradshaw and McNabb, the second group is pretty pedestrian. I never thought Bradshaw was that good--he played on a great team. McNabb is an athletic Qb and in his own way, so was Marino.

Charlie Harper said:
When had Favre displayed any skills in reading defenses? He did not even know what a nickel defense was until Ty Detmer told him once he got to Green Bay.

I'm just simply stating a fact there, counselor.
The fact part of your statement was that it has been continued to be used as a measuring stick. Your statement that "if it wasn't deemed to be a tangible barometer" is an opinion, not a fact.

If you have poor talent, and you score low, you've got two strikes against you.

If you have good talent, and you score low, you've got one strike against you.

If you have poor talent, and you score high, you've got one strike against you.

If you have good talent, and you score high, you've got no strikes against you.

"Strikes" BTW can be overcome and are not absolute determinants of success or failure.

HTH.

I think the biggest problem with the test is in the scoring. Someone who answers all 50 questions and gets 10 correct receives a score of a 10. Another guy who answers only 10 questions yet gets all 10 correct also receives a 10. These 2 players are not equal. The 1st could have ignored the questions and on average received a 10.

Most players don't answer all 50 questions. Since there is no penalty for a wrong answer, the ones who understand this will answer all the questions and receive a higher score.

They need to score it like they score the SAT's. You should receive 1 point for each correct and receive a deduction of a 0.25 point for each wrong answer. Or, they could quote the score as a percentage of the total answered. Either way would give you more information than the way they do it now.

I feel almost dirty posting this, and I'm definitely not trying to draw a correlation or anything, but this just jumped out at me while scanning these lists.

Notable High Scores:

Drew Henson 42 - white

Alex Smith 40 - white

Eli Manning 39 - white

Tony Romo 37 - white

Drew Bledsoe 36 - white

Matt Leinart 35 - white

Kellen Clemens 35 - white

Tom Brady 33 - white

John Beck 30 - white

Philip Rivers 30 - white

Brady Quinn 29 - white

Drew Brees 28 - white

Peyton Manning 28 - white

Ryan Leaf 27 - white

Ben Roethlisberger 25 - white

Notable Low Scores:

Tarvaris Jackson 19 - black

Derek Anderson 19 - white

Vince Young 16 - black

Dan Marino 15 - white

Terry Bradshaw 15 - white

Donovan McNabb 14 - black

David Garrard 14 - black

Kordell Stewart 13 - black

Marcus Vick 11 - black

Jeff George 10 - white

Chris Leak 8* - black

I feel almost dirty posting this, and I'm definitely not trying to draw a correlation or anything, but this just jumped out at me while scanning these lists.

Notable High Scores:

Drew Henson 42 - white

Alex Smith 40 - white

Eli Manning 39 - white

Tony Romo 37 - white

Drew Bledsoe 36 - white

Matt Leinart 35 - white

Kellen Clemens 35 - white

Tom Brady 33 - white

John Beck 30 - white

Philip Rivers 30 - white

Brady Quinn 29 - white

Drew Brees 28 - white

Peyton Manning 28 - white

Ryan Leaf 27 - white

Ben Roethlisberger 25 - white

Notable Low Scores:

Tarvaris Jackson 19 - black

Derek Anderson 19 - white

Vince Young 16 - black

Dan Marino 15 - white

Terry Bradshaw 15 - white

Donovan McNabb 14 - black

David Garrard 14 - black

Kordell Stewart 13 - black

Marcus Vick 11 - black

Jeff George 10 - white

Chris Leak 8* - black
It obviously means the test is racially biased.

The only way I can see it mattering is if the offense a team runs is extemely complex and requires the QB to memorize a ton of info. Even still a QB can probably learn what he needs to learn it just may take longer.

Users who are viewing this thread