What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Would Martz fit with Raiders? (1 Viewer)

Wreckincrew

Footballguy
Would Mike Martz be a good fit with the Raiders?Team philosophy? Yes - love to heave the pigskinCurrent personnel? Yes - lot's of passing game talentAl Davis personality? No - Stadium isn't big enough to hold both ego'sOverall? What the heck, let's give it a shot! Moss, Porter, Collins (if still there) fantasy stock would jump up.

Would Mike Martz be a good fit with the Raiders?

Team philosophy? Yes - love to heave the pigskin

Current personnel? Yes - lot's of passing game talent

Al Davis personality? No - Stadium isn't big enough to hold both ego's

Overall? What the heck, let's give it a shot! Moss, Porter, Collins (if still there) fantasy stock would jump up.
Martz is an overrated bumbling idiot so yes, he'd be the perfect match.

Overall? What the heck, let's give it a shot! Moss, Porter, Collins (if still there) fantasy stock would jump up.
If not as head coach, how about OC?

OC yes. HC no.I hope he doesn't get hired as the HC. And because I feel this way, he will be the HC.

If not as head coach, how about OC?
Yeah I think he's a good coordinator. You could do a whole lot worse.

RB capable of catch a lot of passes? Yes

I replied to the Martz to Saints thread a couple weeks ago that Martz would be a good fit in Oakland.

Seems to me that Martz would be a perfect fin in OAKLAND. I bet he could do something with that offense. I'm sure Davis has concerns about his health, but I heard on ESPN Radio the problem Martz had with his heart is fixed. I've been known to be a Martz basher for making stupid mistakes with game management, but I do think Martz could do well in Oakland.
Here are some other Martz threads that may interest you.Martz to Saints - The one I posted in

More Martz

More more Martz

At the end of the day, why is Martz such a bad coach overall?

In the NFL, you can't have a sustainable talent advantage due to the salary cap. His teams have made the playoffs in 4 of his 5 seasons, reaching the divisional round in the playoffs 3 times. FootballOutsiders.com reports that these numbers are higher than average for a defending Super Bowl champ.

He's had a couple of really bad big games, but on the whole is he any worse than Shanahan in Oakland or Belichick in Cleveland or Levy in Kansas City?

Haven't we learned yet that you don't give up on talented coaches right away?

I wouldn't call Martz a bumbling idiot. He helped turn the lifeless Rams into an offensive juggernaut. He's very talented in terms of designing offenses. His clock management skills can be poor and he tends to lose sight of the need to run the ball, and his people skills are notoriously poor, so......Bottom line: If you can get him to be an OC and accept that status, he would be a major steal. As a head coach, you would just have to take the good with the bad.

Martz's deficiences show up glaringly as a HC:Management of clockTO usageChallenge usageAs a OC you get the good offensive mind without the bad stuff.

Martz's deficiences show up glaringly as a HC:

Management of clock

TO usage

Challenge usage

As a OC you get the good offensive mind without the bad stuff.
I don't think most people would argue with this (although the "challenge usage" has been overblown, I've only seen a couple blatantly bad challenges but they were both on MNF).The thing is, it was his first coaching stint. Was he any worse than some other coaches who had bad first runs (like mentioned before, Shanahan, Belichick, Levy)?

Think about what they were saying about Belichick as recently as September, 2001.

My take on Martz:He does a good job of putting his team in a position to win the game Monday through Saturday. Then he single handedly takes that away from them on Sunday.

OC yes. HC no.

I hope he doesn't get hired as the HC. And because I feel this way, he will be the HC.
Agreed. And I do think Martz will get hired; Whisenhunt will probably stay on as OC for Pittsburgh.

Users who are viewing this thread