What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Alec Pierce, IND (1 Viewer)

I think this guy will be one where a lot of people will look back on and regret passing on (NFL & FF). Good size, strong hands, quick feet, physical tools to get better at routes and releases (which are not a weakness at this stage), ability to high point the ball, and the guy is fast. I don’t see a glaring weakness outside of him being redirected a few times in routes. The NFL can help with play strength. High character dude who has a lot of upside and I think will be one of the best at his position coming out of this class.

I think this guy will be one where a lot of people will look back on and regret passing on (NFL & FF). Good size, strong hands, quick feet, physical tools to get better at routes and releases (which are not a weakness at this stage), ability to high point the ball, and the guy is fast. I don’t see a glaring weakness outside of him being redirected a few times in routes. The NFL can help with play strength. High character dude who has a lot of upside and I think will be one of the best at his position coming out of this class.
Obviously as a Colts fan I hope you are right, because they passed on Skyy Moore. 

Obviously as a Colts fan I hope you are right, because they passed on Skyy Moore. 
I think he is the better player right now and think he has more upside as a player than Moore. I am probably in the minority on that though. Moore is obviously in a great situation to produce so we will see which one makes the bigger impact early on.

Took him at 2.1, 2.1, 2.3 and 2.6 in my leagues. His athletic profile is similar to Julio. His competition for targets is minimal and he has a good QB. A 1000 yard rookie season wouldn’t be shocking to me.

I've been on Alec from the get go. I like that there is sense of urgency from the coaching staff to get him involved asap.

I have to choose two of the following at 1.12 and 2.01

Alec Pierce
Zamir White
Dameon Pierce
Christian Watson

Been mulling it over for weeks now.

I've been on Alec from the get go. I like that there is sense of urgency from the coaching staff to get him involved asap.

Alec Pierce
Zamir White
Dameon Pierce
Christian Watson

Watson and Alec Pierce

I like both long-term over D. Pierce. White shouldn't be in this conversation. White has been going in the later 2nd, and early 3rd in all but shallow leagues. Trade back if you want him.

Took him at 2.1, 2.1, 2.3 and 2.6 in my leagues. His athletic profile is similar to Julio. His competition for targets is minimal and he has a good QB. A 1000 yard rookie season wouldn’t be shocking to me.
@EBF Likened him to Eric Decker

His ADP has been creeping up in all my rookie drafts. He was going in the later 2nd and early 3rd. He's been going in the first half of the 2nd the past month.

Alec Pierce
Zamir White
Dameon Pierce
Christian Watson

Would pass on Watson here with the Doubs apparent breakout. Would probably be the Pierce twins for me here (coming from the guy who got them at 2.7 and 2.9 in mid July).

@EBF Likened him to Eric Decker

His ADP has been creeping up in all my rookie drafts. He was going in the later 2nd and early 3rd. He's been going in the first half of the 2nd the past month.
I was accused of making a "Reach" pick when I picked Alex Pierce at 2.02 in May. I am very happy with it today.
Just wish I did not get John Metchie III at 2.03 along with him... but for my rebuild I can wait on him. Hope he recovers for his own health!

ESPN's Stephen Holder believes that WR Alec Pierce's "rate of growth" is one reason the Colts have not signed a veteran receiver.​

Holder notes that Pierce "still has work to do, but the kid's confidence is growing by the day." The Colts threw Pierce into the deep end, putting him with the first-team offense since the beginning of camp. The second-rounder appears to be staying afloat and improving as time goes on. Pierce's college production left something to be desired, but he is an exceptional athlete who should operate in a clear downfield role for the Colts. He remains a strong selection in the late rounds of drafts.
SOURCE: Stephen Holder on Twitter
Aug 18, 2022, 9:03 AM ET

We thinking WR 4 / Flex with upside here?

For redraft, I could be spectacularly wrong, but I'd say no. Not great college production and had a quality quarterback, so that doesn't really excuse it. Matt Ryan has never thrown a great deep ball when they break down accuracy ratings and that's where Pierce would likely excel.

Don't want to talk you off the guy, but think about those two things. Verify them, actually, and once you do, see if you still want him.

We thinking WR 4 / Flex with upside here?

For redraft, I could be spectacularly wrong, but I'd say no. Not great college production and had a quality quarterback, so that doesn't really excuse it. Matt Ryan has never thrown a great deep ball when they break down accuracy ratings and that's where Pierce would likely excel.

Don't want to talk you off the guy, but think about those two things. Verify them, actually, and once you do, see if you still want him.
Funny. I was going to say similar…. I only plan on holding him in dynasty and not expecting to use him AT ALL this year.

Had two first rounders and 2 second rounders as I am in full rebuild mode 12 team 1pt PPR Dynasty.

Drake London 1.3
Chris Olave 1.7
Zamir White 2.3
Alec Pierce 2.7

And he may be the best of the bunch potentially long term. Love what I have seen so far.

The Athletic's James Boyd writes that Colts WR Alec Pierce should see more targets than Parris Campbell.​

"Especially in the red zone ... given [Pierce's] physical attributes and ability to win jump balls," Boyd continues. Pierce has flown under the radar a bit in the rookie fantasy receiver discussion, but appears to be having a strong training camp by all accounts. It's conceivable -- if not likely -- that Indianapolis' defensive scheme change (to the stagnant Gus Bradley) and quarterback upgrade could lead to more targets for wideouts this year. If Pierce is Indy's No. 2 target right away, he offers some upside in redraft leagues.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Sep 4, 2022, 2:27 PM ET

Surprised there isn't a little more buzz about Pierce. I think he potentially fits in nicely as a threat opposite Pittman. Campbell has never been healthy, and there's no notable TE to soak up targets. Hines might be the next challenge for targets. With Taylor to run the ball and Pittman as the WR 1, Pierce's size and speed might make a nice big play/red zone threat as a bye week fill-in. Doesn't seem to have too many obstacles in his way besides Matt Ryan potentially declining with age.

Already spoke about his dynasty outlook, which I'm high on.

Also took a shot on him in my redraft league. Why not? The price tag is low and the ceiling is reasonable. Rookie WRs are still a crapshoot, but teams have been demanding more from these guys in recent years. Everyone is talking about Pierce vs. Campbell, but let's get really bullish and shift the conversation to Pierce vs. Pittman. They were picked in the same round. Pittman is bigger, but Pierce is faster and more athletic. I think it's possible that he eclipses Pittman long-term. Will it happen this season? Probably not. Pittman has great quickness for a big target and will be a reliable security blanket for Ryan. It's completely reasonable to assume he will lead this team in targets and receptions.

On the other hand, Pittman isn't really a dynamic or freaky talent. Average deep speed and RAC. Modest YPR. He's a possession guy being ranked near the elite range even though he doesn't really have a huge "wow" factor to his game. Not saying he's the next Kenny Golladay to fall off completely, but this isn't Calvin Johnson either where he's an invincible frontline WR1. When you look at value relative to cost, I'm more bullish on Pierce in dynasty and redraft. Easily the better value, if not the better player.

A no-brainer buy in all formats if you can get him for his alleged consensus price, which appears to be about WR55-60 in dynasty. In redraft he's found money with basically a "waiver wire" ADP.

A no-brainer buy in all formats if you can get him for his alleged consensus price, which appears to be about WR55-60 in dynasty. In redraft he's found money with basically a "waiver wire" ADP.
Yeah I grabbed Pierce and Wan'dale as my WRs 6/7 at the end of my draft, just because of a lack of obstacles in their paths to PT. Pierce is more the type of deep-threat WR I usually prefer to go after, with one of the most injury-prone WRs one could think of as his competition for a starting spot.

Then again, Wan'dale is the only guy drafted by this new Giants regime... and you don't get more unreliable and injury-prone than Golladay, Toney, and Shepard. Opportunity seems to be there for both rookies.

Alec Pierce was targeted twice in Indianapolis' tie against the Texans.

He dropped a touchdown on his first target, then looked to be shaken up on another drop over the middle of the field in the third quarter. Pierce still has some upside, but with only two targets in a pass-happy script, it's hard to recommend him for next week's game against the Jaguars.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Arrow down in redraft, but in dynasty I remain intrigued. Too early to draw meaningful conclusions.

Will say Pittman balled out in a big way and was the obvious focus in week one, so the prospect of Pierce passing him imminently seems pretty silly.

2-3 years from now, this thread may have a very different tone. The skill set that Pierce brings is very interesting and projects well.

Colts head coach Frank Reich said WR Alec Pierce is in the league's concussion protocol.​

Reich said Pierce developed concussion-like symptoms after the team's Week 1 game against the Texans. Pierce ran a pass route on 66 percent of Matt Ryan's drop backs against Houston and dropped a touchdown on one of his two targets. It was altogether a disastrous debut for the rookie speedster. Ashton Dulin, who was targeted on an incredible six of his 14 routes in Week 1, could become a sneaky PPR option in deeper fantasy leagues if Pierce miss Indy's Week 2 game against Jacksonville.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Stephen Holder on Twitter
Sep 14, 2022, 12:48 PM ET

Colts WR Alec Pierce (concussion) won't play in Week 2 against the Jaguars.

He returned to practice on a limited basis for Week 2, but the Colts will give him another week. Ashton Dulin and Mike Strachan will both see more snaps against a rough Jaguars pass defense and make for intriguing DFS dart throws, especially if Michael Pittman (quad) also doesn't play.
RELATED:
Sep 16, 2022, 1:38 PM ET

Alec Pierce (concussion) returned to practice Wednesday.​

Pierce did not play in Week 2 because of a concussion. Michael Pittman was also sidelined, allowing Ashton Dulin to pace the team with five catches for 79 yards. Once both are healthy, Dulin will return to the rotational role he began the year in. Pierce should provide the occasional splash play, but he remains off the fantasy radar for Week 3.
SOURCE: George Bremer on Twitter
Sep 21, 2022, 2:17 PM ET

Alec Pierce caught 3-of-5 targets for 61 yards in the Colts' Week 3 win over the Chiefs.

After missing Week 2 with a concussion, Pierce's five targets were third on the team behind Michael Pittman's nine and Nyheim Hines' six, and the rookie's 61 yards were second to Pittman's 72. Pierce didn't catch a pass in Week 1 before missing Week 2 and then playing in this one. He's not yet on the redraft fantasy map ahead of Week 4 against the Titans.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Credit to @BobbyLayne for posting snap count percentages in the gameday thread. 82% Campbell 45% Pierce 25% Dulin

Great to see the three receptions after an ugly week 1 and concussion protocol week 2. These were not empty receptions. For interested dynasty owners, all three made the nfl youtube game highlights. The third was a big 2nd & 8 conversion in the final minutes ahead of the game-winning Woods TD. The second gem was Matt Ryan dialing one up outside the numbers on a 1st & 10 from his own 1-yard line. Pierce went up and got it for 30 yards, straight out of his Cincy highlight reel.

If he can flip the snap count with Campbell before season's end, we might have a real commodity on our hands.

another step towards '22 relevance? 4 receptions on 6 targets for 80 yards in a come from behind game script.

[+]
  • another 25+ yard back shoulder sideline catch, this one on the opposite side from last week
  • grabbed an underthrown/ comeback(?) ball for 44 yards in the final 5 minutes with the game on the line
  • 3rd & 4 conversion a couple of minutes before that
[-]
  • less exciting development, Matt Ryan making two TEs worthy of fantasy starts, hell, nearly a third if Woods gets in on his catch
  • Parris Campbell pulse
All that I can comment on from the game highlights and boxscore. Maybe someone who actually watched the game can add something :)

Alec Pierce caught 8-of-9 targets for 81 yards in the Colts' Week 5 win over the Broncos.​

Generally thought of as a deep threat, Pierce showed his ability in the short and intermediated parts of the field on Thursday. Averaging just 10.1 YPR on the evening, with his longest play coming on a 17-yard catch-and-run, Pierce looked more like a reliable possession receiver than he did a one-trick pony. He led the team in receptions, yards and targets, and appears to have a nice chemistry with Matt Ryan. With Ryan unlikely to unleash many deep balls at this stage in his career, Pierce proving valuable closer to the line of scrimmage could bode well for the Colts and fantasy managers. Pierce has seen his target share go up in each of the last three weeks and appears to be solidified as the Colts' WR2. He can be treated as a high-upside WR3 in Week 6 against the Jaguars.
Oct 7, 2022, 12:38 AM ET

Matt Ryan making two TEs worthy of fantasy starts
Are you thinking that Pierce is a TE? The Colts' TEs combined for 2 catches last night.
He posted that on Sunday

As for Alec Pierce that was about my only fantasy related positive from last night. Not that I had him in a lineup, but big dynasty investor and he's gotten more involved each week. I'm pleasantly surprised at his high usage growth because in camp Ryan was hardly ever throwing to him, soured me a bit on him in redraft and even a little in dynasty as I feared he was heading for a deep threat role. Seeing this evolution into a chain moving intermediate target might be based on necessity due to no time to throw but it's been great to see.

I think he's over the hump. Hopefully his snap share looks like that of a WR2 from here on out. Big kudos to the competition (Campbell) cleaning up his first half fumble. Always great to see a youngster step up in front of the eyeballs of your leaguemates. There's actual chatter about him being the eventual WR1 in Indy. I'm not saying I agree with that, but if it becomes anything resembling a debate then this will go down as one hell of a mid-round rookie pick. As far as dynasty stashes buried on my bench, he's providing a lot more voltage than Zeus and Likely right now.

I think he's over the hump. Hopefully his snap share looks like that of a WR2 from here on out. Big kudos to the competition (Campbell) cleaning up his first half fumble. Always great to see a youngster step up in front of the eyeballs of your leaguemates. There's actual chatter about him being the eventual WR1 in Indy. I'm not saying I agree with that, but if it becomes anything resembling a debate then this will go down as one hell of a mid-round rookie pick. As far as dynasty stashes buried on my bench, he's providing a lot more voltage than Zeus and Likely right now.

Wasn't he a second rounder? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. He looked polished in the 2nd half. Indy is going to need to open things up offensively. That is a bad, stagnant, inefficient offense.

Wasn't he a second rounder? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. He looked polished in the 2nd half. Indy is going to need to open things up offensively. That is a bad, stagnant, inefficient offense.
He was indeed. I was referencing mid-round dynasty rookie pick. If you play in a quality league, you probably also spent a 2nd round rookie pick on him. I play with idiots, so in for an early 4th :-)

I actually like that he's going to be forced to excel with the short routes playing with Ryan. Hopefully they hit on a young QB that can unlock the full downfield potential next season.

Users who are viewing this thread